• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Can we just talk about why this is a thing?

6a19351925390262b2e7ca4241bb894b.png

They look nearly identical. I bet tons of people are going to see the beginning of the title and think it's this thread and then get spoiled...

Come on mods.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Hype hype hype!

I won't care about Reviews after this game comes out, or negative discussion or any discussion actually. I'll be avoiding all of it so I don't spoil anything

Hype hype hype!

They look nearly identical. I bet tons of people are going to see the beginning of the title and think it's this thread and then get spoiled...

Come on mods.

This just got me and I only noticed because I scrolled down and saw a massive spoiler image. It's fucking bad man

atr0cious

Breath of the Wild |OT| No Man's Land

Breath of the Wild |OT| Where We're Going, We don't need Owls

Breath of the Wild |OT| We're Off to Kill the Wizzrobe

Come on mods.

Already got spoiled on something that seemed fairly big because of this.

:(

Come on mods.

I read the whole thing before I clicked on the right topic lol. I haven't mistakenly clicked on the spoiler thread.

...I almost made the exact same mistake some of you guys made... the threads were right next to each other!
Seriously. I literally entered and screamed and bailed.
Yeah, I just went into the wrong thread.. lol. Thankfully, I didn't see anything that pissed me off.
This just got me and I only noticed because I scrolled down and saw a massive spoiler image. It's fucking bad man
Already got spoiled on something that seemed fairly big because of this.

:(

Yeah it's pretty messed up. Be vigilant. Honestly it's something the mods should be able to change because it's too honest of a mistake to make. There is no reason they should be named similarly.

You actually don't read every letter or even every word in a sentence. Your brain fills in the blanks as your eyes scan quickly. So yeah it would be better all round if that other title was changed.
Yes exactly, the beginning and the end of a word or a sentence carry the most weight, in this case it's hard to blame people miss clicking.

PrimeBeef

I think 95 is the ceiling. Like it or not, it's going to get docked for visuals and frame rate drops.

Thing, is in all of the previews, that is mentioned as something that doesn't hold the game back. Even in Edge's review they say that and it got a 10. I think we are looking at something big.

ckaneo

You actually don't read every letter or even every word in a sentence. Your brain fills in the blanks as your eyes scan quickly. So yeah it would be better all round if that other title was changed.
The word spoiler and preview are different enough your brain should catch it be

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT| A horse is a horse, of course of course,
and no one can talk to a horse of course,
that is of course, unless the horse,
is the famous Mister Dead!

G-Bus

Banned
So jealous my brother has a Wii U and will playing this in a few days.

In no posistion to buy another console for this game right now. I've toyed with the idea of selling my ps4 with games and track down a switch....

Can't remember the last time i've had this sort of interest in a game.

Still a tiny bit warey as I've only heard early impressions thus far. Still sold. Would take a lot of negative bs to get me to change my mind at this point.

The_Lump

Banned
I think the +95 meta score dream is dead in the current landscape, you know some outlet is going to drop a really bad score to get some additional clicks.

Yup. Or because the Zelda cycle is now so fast it's already done a couple loops before the game even gets released. Someone will hate it, even if it's just to be edgy.

yeah but usually a bunch of tweets say at least the general feeling. they don't have to talk about what happens after 5 hours to talk about how they feel about what happens after 5 hours
Here's Dan Ryckert's tweet from today, keep in mind he's roughly 50 hours in: I need to sit in an empty room and talk to a wall about Breath of the Wild until the embargo lifts.

The spoiler thread got too hot for me, thankfully all the plot spoilers are things before you leave the plateau but at this point I would recommend you just subscribe to this thread.

CrazyHorse

My brain began to speed up as I read your words (after reading word by word in the begining). Then I skipped the 3rd sentence. Interesting experience since the words affected by actions.

The_Lump

Banned
The word spoiler and preview are different enough your brain should catch it be

Clearly not, it's catching people out. And the difference being right at the end makes it much worse. Most people scan a list (eg like GAF front page) and will look for a familiarity in the first few words then move to the next. That's how people read.

My brain began to speed up as I read your words (after reading word by word in the begining). Then I skipped the 3rd sentence. Interesting experience since the words affected by actions.

Right? It's a neat example of how awesome the brain is. It's constantly filling in the blanks for us, not just with words either.

yeah but usually a bunch of tweets say at least the general feeling. they don't have to talk about what happens after 5 hours to talk about how they feel about what happens after 5 hours

The kind of praise most already gave makes it irrelevant to tweet (or write more articles) again. What more can they say?

CrazyHorse

I think the +95 meta score dream is dead in the current landscape, you know some outlet is going to drop a really bad score to get some additional clicks.

Why don't they use median scores instead of averages to stop people ruining the meta scores? Do we have a thread on this? Can someone make one (I am not allowed)?

My second year anniversary is next weekend. I won't be able to go home to play this game for an extra week.

Hope ya'll dreams come true march 3rd

Cry for me GAF :(

Lol it's not getting a 95+

I'm gonna say 90-93. Anything lower I can see happening too since this Zelda is more of a wildcard than others. And no, Edge giving it a 10 means nothing. Edge is biased over Zelda and anything Nintendo. While I do respect Edge...in terms of Nintendo reviews? Sorry, they're full of shit. Probably the most biased publication I've seen for one company aside the dozens of Nintendo centric publications that are obviously biased. After SS getting a 10, I'm not taking Edge seriously.

Regardless, I'm glad Horizon and Nioh nailed a 9. Haven't played Horizon yet but Nioh definitely deserved that 9. I'll judge Horizon in only one more day and Zelda in a few more days myself. Horizon is the only one I was paying attention to in terms of reviews. Zelda reviews are irrelevant since people are biased and give Zelda a pass just for being Zelda. I'm not judging Zelda from reviews. I'll judge it myself.

Come on mods.

I haven't been deceived (yet), but that's because I specifically look for the word "Preview" instead of just read the beginning of the title.

TrueBlue

Come on mods.

I made this error. I think I had a cutscene description spoilt for me, but without context I dunno. Luckily I bailed before I saw anything else.

Realeza

Banned

I'm gonna say 90-93. Anything lower I can see happening too since this Zelda is more of a wildcard than others. And no, Edge giving it a 10 means nothing. Edge is biased over Zelda and anything Nintendo. While I do respect Edge...in terms of Nintendo reviews? Sorry, they're full of shit. Probably the most biased publication I've seen for one company aside the dozens of Nintendo centric publications that are obviously biased. After SS getting a 10, I'm not taking Edge seriously.

Regardless, I'm glad Horizon and Nioh nailed a 9. Haven't played Horizon yet but Nioh definitely deserved that 9.

Lol

Regardless, I'm glad Horizon and Nioh nailed a 9. Haven't played Horizon yet but Nioh definitely deserved that 9.

"Zelda is a wild card"

"No 3D Zelda has ever scored under 90". Ok bud.

Regardless, I'm glad Horizon and Nioh nailed a 9. Haven't played Horizon yet but Nioh definitely deserved that 9. I'll judge Horizon in only one more day and Zelda in a few more days myself. Horizon is the only one I was paying attention to in terms of reviews. Zelda reviews are irrelevant since people are biased and give Zelda a pass just for being Zelda. I'm not judging Zelda from reviews. I'll judge it myself.

Also: Horizon looks more interesting and unique to me.

Come at me.

And I have one more person to whose opinions I can laugh at.

"Zelda is a wild card"

"No 3D Zelda has ever scored under 90". Ok bud.

Figured the Nintendo defense force would come up. Didn't realize they'd come up so fast. Why are you people so insecure?

Lol

For the record, I have every Nintendo system and own every Zelda game. Learn to digest someone elses opinion.

Nanashrew

Banned

You should probably realize the SS 10 was about it being the ultimate Wii game, and delivering on the promise of nuanced motion controls.

They didn't give 10's to every Zelda game. They gave games like Star Fox Zero a 7.

EDIT: Found the post from the Edge thread on the Skyward Sword review since it was brought up so much in there.

The writeup for skyward sword:

"Nintendo has been so busy elaborating on Ocarina’s heroic ideal that it’s forgotten to embrace it for itself. So what better way to honour 25 years of bravery than courageously striving for something new? And what opportune hardware to cut those ties. After all, hasn’t the Wii hardware spent the past five years searching for the hero inside itself? Firstparty experiments have tested Wii’s boundaries, deducing what does and doesn’t work. Their findings resonate throughout Skyward Sword. In Wii Sports-powered bomb bowling. In skydiving and swordplay learnt on a Wuhu holiday. In the surreal beauty and orchestral bombast beamed down from Super Mario Galaxy. In the metallic Metroid chu-chunk of a door lock. Even the opinion-dividing Wii Music is vindicated in subtle moments of auto-tuning cleverness. How apt that this ultimate tale of heromaking should see Nintendo’s hardware become the console it was always meant to be. "

The praise stems from the premise of being the realization of the wii promise, and i agree with the reviewer, skyward sword aimed to be the ultimate wii game, and it managed to do that, even if at the expanse of aspects that people love about the series.

What should be noted though is that breath of the wild praise comes from all types of people, including those that didn't care for latest efforts of the zelda series, gamespot for example who wasn't hot on SS, is gushing HARD about botw. Granted, not every zelda fan will love breath of the wild, but it's THE game since ocarina that has a shot at being almost universally loved.

Top Bottom