• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
2EgXwgL.png

Oh hell no... this is mine to do... go
Away!!!!!!

test_account

XP-39C²
Old topic, but i just thought about it yesterday again. If you can
go straight to the last dungeon from the begining of the game and beat the last boss
, how is the story layed out in terms of gameplay? The spoiler isnt really much of a spoiler, its been known for a long time, but i never know, so best to just put a spoiler tag on it :p

go straight to the last dungeon from the begining of the game and beat the last boss
, how is the story layed out in terms of gameplay? The spoiler isnt really much of a spoiler, its been known for a long time, but i never know, so best to just put a spoiler tag on it :p

my guess is that the story is all about getting the stuff you need to defeat Ganon. He's there waiting for you all the while but maybe if you have enough skill you don't need any help and can defeat him with a twig or whatever.

note: this is genuine speculation, I have not played the game, I thought I should add this because having speculative conversations about the plot in a world where the game has leaked can easily lead to people making extremely accurate "guesses" and should probably be avoided.

I know its small but I wish they made the Zelda cartridge gold colored for tradition sakes. Or at least the first shipment. Would of been dope. Oh well.

Xane

I've been wondering the very same thing ever since it got mentioned by Nintendo.

test_account

XP-39C²
my guess is that the story is all about getting the stuff you need to defeat Ganon. He's there waiting for you all the while but maybe if you have enough skill you don't need any help and can defeat him with a twig or whatever.

note: this is genuine speculation, I have not played the game, I thought I should add this because having speculative conversations about the plot in a world where the game has leaked can easily lead to people making extremely accurate "guesses" and should probably be avoided.
I'm just curious on how they go about of doing it. We know that the game has cutscenes, and those have to be played in order to make sense. Nintendo made it sound like there is no boundries in the game world from the very start, and that you can basically go everywhere, even to every dungeon. I guess the games main quests will be done in a linear fashion though, i cant see any other way to do it really, but i just wondered since Nintendo claimed what i wrote in the spoiler :)

I've been wondering the very same thing ever since it got mentioned by Nintendo.
I guess maybe the game will be linear in terms of the main story, but that its possible to do the thing i wrote in the spoiler. I cant see any other way to do it at least, but who knows.

Could everyone please stop posting spoilers of any fucking kind. No spoiler tags, no discussion of the spoiler thread, nothing. Let us just discuss what we learnt from the officially sanctioned previews, nothing else please. 3 days, don't fuck this up guys.

test_account

XP-39C²
Could everyone please stop posting spoilers of any fucking kind. No spoiler tags, no discussion of the spoiler thread, nothing. Let us just discuss what we learnt from the officially sanctioned previews, nothing else please. 3 days, don't fuck this up guys.
Thing is, its hard to know what exactly is a spoiler for some. What i put in a spoiler tag is what Nintendo themself said during E3 last year if i'm not mistaken (maybe it was said earlier). I dont know if everyone has heard that information.

takriel

Best to migrate over to the spoiler-free thread tbh.

LordKano

Oh man, tweets from jeuxvideo.com (biggest French and European video game website) seems to indicate that they will give the game their first 20/20 since 14 years. The only other game to have that score was Wind Waker and it caused a huge shitstorm lol.

Impulsor

Oh man, tweets from jeuxvideo.com (biggest French and European video game website) seems to indicate that they will give the game their first 20/20 since 14 years. The only other game to have that score was Wind Waker and it caused a huge shitstorm lol.

Link kthose tweets!

PrimeBeef

I'm just curious on how they go about of doing it. We know that the game has cutscenes, and those have to be played in order to make sense. Nintendo made it sound like there is no boundries in the game world from the very start, and that you can basically go everywhere, even to every dungeon. I guess the games main quests will be done in a linear fashion though, i cant see any other way to do it really, but i just wondered since Nintendo claimed what i wrote in the spoiler :)

I guess maybe the game will be linear in terms of the main story, but that its possible to do the thing i wrote in the spoiler. I cant see any other way to do it at least, but who knows.

After you wake up, meet the old man, and start off doing whatever, a voice points you towards a location to investigate. This is assumed to be how the game will keep you on track of the main quest line. you do not need to follow it at all. You cannot have a main story line be non linear, that would be like reading a book by choosing the pages randomly.

Audioboxer

It's a mechanic to get you to fight enemies and get other weapons and have a good collection and encourage exploration.

I still hate it. Encouraging exploration could be done by set weapon drops, or an upgrade system where each weapon can get upgraded a little (from misc parts). From what I've seen from videos it just looks like a way to spam shit into your inventory, and cause you to have to switch weapons and shields every few fights because "lol broken".

For sure, minor part of the game, but it's strange to see someone like Nintendo adopt such a blast from the past gameplay mechanic.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I

For sure, minor part of the game, but it's strange to see someone like Nintendo adopt such a blast from the past gameplay mechanic.

As long as shield durability isn´t as bad as in SkyS it shouldn´t be that much of a problem. I played until the last boss without shield.

It´s not just exploration, they encourage you to play with different weapons and their patterns. Switch for different kinds of enemies etc.

And what do you mean from the past? This mechanic is also in Dark Souls. It makes sense that your weapon is going to be break and not beeing magically there forever and ever.

Like, for example we still don't know how the cooking system works exactly. It follows a formula of some sort, there's a few recipes that are simple enough that everyones memorized but who knows what sort of crazy stuff you could come up with, or what sort of benefits you might be able to gain from it.

I want to make Grannies Soup from Wind Waker :(

And I wouldn't mind some Chateau Romani while I'm at it. :)
I really enjoy the cooking system. It's incredibly easy to pick up and play with, and nine times out of ten with a little bit of logic you'll wind up with a useful recipe.

Mostly it's logic that contributes to success here. Generally speaking, for instance, meat + veggies + spice + butter is a good idea. Or you can do veggies + rice + spice, or veggies + rice, or meat + rice.... it's hard to screw it up honestly unless you REALLY screw it up. I've only made around a couple of Dubious Foods and I really have played around with it quite a bit.

It's easy to select requisite ingredients also since the game so clearly marks which ones yield which benefits. If you aren't careful, however, the benefits can cancel each other out. For instance, it's impossible to have a dish with both heat AND cold resistance.

Audioboxer

As long as shield durability isn´t as bad as in SkyS it shouldn´t be that much of a problem. I played until the last boss without shield.

It´s not just exploration, they encourage you to play with different weapons and their patterns. Switch for different kinds of enemies etc.

And what do you mean from the past? This mechanic is also in Dark Souls. It makes sense that your weapon is going to be break and not beeing magically there forever and ever.

I was going to mention DS2. It got routinely blasted in it, and it was funny when the 60FPS console release on PS4/XB1 made the weapons degrade twice as fast. People were twice as pissed.

It was tamed down a bit for DS3. Point being in Zelda it seems shit breaks so quickly. Takes quite a while in most other games with the mechanic.

I mean, isn't there "named" and unique weapons or shields in it later? Do they break? :/ The other thing about Souls is you could repair stuff, not have it just break and disappear. The cooking and hunting mechanics look fun for exploration, so I'm not sure why they had to throw in an unforgiving durability system as well. Zelda has never been about "deep" combat, at least not if we're mentioning Souls to compare.

So yeah, fair enough people picking up tree branches and stuff and having them break, but what about proper swords and/or named weapons? Do they just "blow up" after 10 minutes of swinging?

Kjellson

I got an email before confirming that I will definitely get a Switch on day one. I can finally release a huge breath of relief.

Now we're only on the final sprint.

[...]So yeah, fair enough people picking up tree branches and stuff and having them break, but what about proper swords and/or named weapons? Do they just "blow up" after 10 minutes of swinging?
The better the object, the better the durability. As simple as that.
Take in account the right usage of the object too. Even the better swords will explode quickly if you continuously smash rocks with them.

Audioboxer

Cucurbitacée;231176946 said:
The better the object, the better the durability. As simple as that.
Take in account the right usage of the object too. Even the better swords will explode quickly if you continuously smash rocks with them.

Meh, I just hate it. Especially when it's environmental degradation as well. I like hitting shit... I guess it's OCD to see what breaks in the environment.

Considering the reviews and footage, things look amazing, but this is just a huuuuuuuge bug of mine, especially when it airs on the side of "break friendly" rather than player friendly. I'd rather spend less time juggling shit in my inventory and weapon switching every 5~10 minutes.

Can things even be repaired or do you literally even need to find duplicates of the best equipment?

Alrus

I really think the weapon system will be a major point of contention in reviews. While it seems like the game showers you with weapon, I can foresee the frustrating stretch where all your weapon are breaking and you're stuck without the ability to replenish them. I hope I'm wrong.

There doesn't seem to be a durability indicator beside the popping text when it's damaged so planning ahead will also be kinda annoying at times.

Top Bottom