• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Lgndryhr

You do indeed need the TP data on the amiibo from what I understand. There was a post about in reddit. I haven't tried yet since I don't have my wolf link amiibo with me. I'll pm it to you when I get home.

Thanks for sharing. Guess I won't buy the Amiibo then unless they show us a way to give the wolf more hearts. Don't have a Wii U.

Hydrus

Question: Will audio play thru the Wii U gamepad? Also can I use a pro controller while it does that? I want to play with headphones and pro controller but don't wanna use the gamepad.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Question: Will audio play thru the Wii U gamepad? Also can I use a pro controller while it does that? I want to play with headphones and pro controller but don't wanna use the gamepad.

I believe someone confirmed this does work in the impressions thread.

Kindekuma

Banned

Only when the screen is on GamePad mode only. You can't play the game in TV mode and have audio coming out. But yeah you can play on the gamepad screen and use a Pro Controller.

RPGCrazied

Does this work with the Classic Pro controller? Since the gamepad is useless I'd rather use a controller. I don't have a Wii U Pro controller.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What about the Wii U Pro controller? I see a knock off one on Amazon with good reviews for $20.

Doesn't work with the Switch, not yet at least. Nintendo's said they might look at backwards compatibility with accessories.

It's pretty good on PC though, if you get the Mayflash adapter.

RPGCrazied

Doesn't work with the Switch, not yet at least. Nintendo's said they might look at backwards compatibility with accessories.

It's pretty good on PC though, if you get the Mayflash adapter.

I'm getting the Wii U version. Just asking if the WIi U Pro controller can work with the Wii U version of the game?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting the Wii U version. Just asking if the WIi U Pro controller can work with the Wii U version of the game?

Yes. No Gyro aiming, but that's optional. There aren't any gamepad screen features in the game.

GRW810

I'm really torn about getting BotW amiibo. Part of me wants them just because they're so cool to look at. Sitting on a shelf is always my first and foremost reason for buying amiibo; gameplay functionality is of secondary importance.

On the other hand, it feels like I'm cheating myself by gifting Link free stuff rather than foraging in the true nature of BotW. Having heard what some amiibo reward you with - especially the Guardian - I don't feel is right getting such cool gear so easily and readily.

EDIT: that's not a knock on the amiibo, the functionality or those who are planning to use them. It's my own stupid moral dilemma.

I'm really torn about getting BotW amiibo. Part of me wants them just because they're so cool to look at. Sitting on a shelf is always my first and foremost reason for buying amiibo; gameplay functionality is of secondary importance.

On the other hand, it feels like I'm cheating myself by gifting Link free stuff rather than foraging in the true nature of BotW. Having heard what some amiibo reward you with - especially the Guardian - I don't feel is right getting such cool gear so easily and readily.

EDIT: that's not a knock on the amiibo, the functionality or those who are planning to use them. It's my own stupid moral dilemma.

Step 1: Play through the game without the amiibo
Step 2:
Start over and see how far you can get using only the amiibo

ffdgh

Wolf link amiibo for me even with the 3 heart limit. Link going on an adventure with himself is too silly to pass up.

KooopaKid

Banned
I have to salute how Nintendo handled the pre-release of Breath of the Wild, only showing the plateau at E3, the 15 minutes previews embargo, I feel I haven't been spoiled much compared to Skyward Sword even after having watched all this footage.

NewGame

Banned
Yes. No Gyro aiming, but that's optional. There aren't any gamepad screen features in the game.

I tried to search if you could just use the Pro Controller and just have the Gamepad display the game... Sort of like a Switch but not.

Anyone know if you can use a Pro Controller while displaying it on the Gamepad?

I tried to search if you could just use the Pro Controller and just have the Gamepad display the game... Sort of like a Switch but not.

Anyone know if you can use a Pro Controller while displaying it on the Gamepad?

Only when the screen is on GamePad mode only. You can't play the game in TV mode and have audio coming out. But yeah you can play on the gamepad screen and use a Pro Controller.

I can't personally confirm this though.

Has anyone given a negative opinion of this game yet?

From the spoiler free thread.

I don't know what the consensus is so far and take my impressions with a grain of salt of course but I've been playing for around 10-15 hours and I'm not completely feeling it...

There are some genuine Zelda moments here and there, when the scenery, the action and the subtle soundtrack mix together perfectly to create a beautiful sense of adventure that sends chills down my spine. There are Xenoblade moments of awe derived from the simple sight of the land that lies ahead. And there are so many moments of little frustrations.

The combat forces you to switch weapons in almost every fight and the result is that I never have time to get a feel for their movesets and the inventory is so damn small... I like what little I have seen of the story but there's not enough tying the game together for me. The framerate on Wii U is pretty terrible at times. It's weird to see that in a modern Nintendo game. And the gamepad... They don't want to use it? Okay. But in that case don't have a goddamn message flashing on it the entire time!

The best part so far has been interacting with the goofy inhabitants of a village I ran into early on. The NPCs are charming as hell.

Sorry if I sound pretty negative. It's a good game obviously but like everybody here I hold the Zelda series to an extremely high standard and this entry is a little too rough around the edges for me. Hopefully the game will change my mind in the next few days.

PrimeBeef

Are you sure? I was just playing TP HD to get my wolf some hearts. Playing on the TV, slid the sound up on the gamepad and it had the game music and sounds playing from it.

mr.beers

What's the word on post game after you defeat the final boss? Will we be able to continue our save after defeating said boss? Is there NG+?

What's the word on post game after you defeat the final boss? Will we be able to continue our save after defeating said boss? Is there NG+?

No reviewer is allowed to talk about that till March 2nd, and I doubt people playing the Wii U version have even gotten that far.

That'd be a spoiler anyways.

Charamiwa

Banned
What do you think the over/under is on 100%? I'm thinking 350 hours.

What would the 100% actually entail though? Is there a way to track it, sidequests, collectible?

In other Zeldas speedruns 100% is getting every items and collectibles from the inventory, but for this game I really don't know.

DNAbro

What would the 100% actually entail though? Is there a way to track it, sidequests, collectible?

In other Zeldas speedruns 100% is getting every items and collectibles from the inventory, but for this game I really don't know.

I would assume complete every mini dungeon, korok seed quest, whatever side quests they have and of course the main story beats.

Kinsei

Banned

Every shrine, every Korok seed, and every side quest.

Top Bottom