• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Pinky

Banned

get-smart-huh.gif

Anth0ny

Has anyone given a negative opinion of this game yet?

gerstmann wasn't really feeling it on the bombcast today. too much item management to the point where it's a detriment to the game.

I predict reviews will be high but I do think the game will get backlash pretty much immediately.

Makai

gerstmann wasn't really feeling it on the bombcast today. too much item management to the point where it's a detriment to the game.

I predict reviews will be high but I do think the game will get backlash pretty much immediately.
Ok, cool. I'll listen to that. I need hype deflate. Link Between Worlds was the first Zelda game I liked in like 10 years so I don't think it'll be too hard to please me.

Mory Dunz

So is there not items and shops that extend the life of weapons past a certain point in the game? Or unbreakable weapons like a master sword.

Or maybe he means consumable item management

phanphare

Banned

maybe there will actually be an interesting goty discussion from them this year

Anth0ny

So is there not items and shops that extend the life of weapons past a certain point in the game? Or unbreakable weapons like a master sword.

Or maybe he means consumable item management

he was specifically talking about an early point in the game where he had trouble with all the timers, temperatures, outfits you have to wear, foods you have to cook, materials to make the foods you have to cook... didn't mention anything about unbreakable weapons or extended life of weapons. personally i have no idea.

I'm loving Horizon right now. And by the time I'm done, I'll have Zelda and a Switch (hopefully, pls Amazon).

Good god. This year is nuts. And then Arms. And Persona 5. And Mario Odyssey.

😍😍

duality1123

Neo Member
he was specifically talking about an early point in the game where he had trouble with all the timers, temperatures, outfits you have to wear, foods you have to cook, materials to make the foods you have to cook... didn't mention anything about unbreakable weapons or extended life of weapons. personally i have no idea.

What part of the podcast is the Zelda talk?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Just to clarify, he only played a small portion (sounds like he got a little past the Great Plateau) because he wants to play the full game on his personal Switch. But yeah he sounded skeptical about all the management involved, which I agree that quite a few people will be turned off from that aspect. I'm also a little worried about reports of a lot of time being spent in the menus, pausing a game constantly is always a bummer. It really blows that they took all the management away from the WiiU Gamerpad in the WiiU version, that could have helped solved that problem with having constant and easy access to the menu/map. I guess they just wanted to avoid confusion on which version was the superior way to play BOTW, or maybe involving the WiiU Gamerpad screen would have made the WiiU version run even worse.

On a side-note, I believe Dan is reviewing BOTW for Giant Bomb, and he is extremely high on the game.

Realeza

Banned

He also had trouble with the fact that Link doesn't have a green tunic. Also the sky is too blue.

That's a fairly inaccurate interpretation of his comments. You're hearing what you want to hear, which is, bizarrely, disappointment.

Anth0ny

That's a fairly inaccurate interpretation of his comments. You're hearing what you want to hear, which is, bizarrely, disappointment.

It absolutely sounded like he was disappointed with what he's played so far. He straight up said they may have gone too far with the changes.

Either way, next week's bombcast should be a deeper discussion.

Wereroku

I don't understand why people get so upset when a person doesn't agree with their exact opinion. HZD and BOTW are both critically good games don't take it personally when a person likes one more then the other. There could be a whole host of reasons but it's all down to individual differences. I mean hell I hated skyward sword but that doesn't mean it was a terrible game and I don't think anyone should enjoy it.

It absolutely sounded like he was disappointed with what he's played so far. He straight up said they may have gone too far with the changes.

He had caveats though. He felt like it was missing some of the Zelda spark. However when the 8-4 guys pointed out that it was inspired by zelda 1 much more then any of the others it seemed to click a bit more with him. I think he just wasn't expecting such a drastically different game. Otherwise he seems pretty positive on it especially because he is avoiding playing to much because of the issue of save transfers.

Mory Dunz

Oh, and it was the early parts of the game we've mostly seen?

If so, eh.
None of that seemed complicated in the demoing tbh. If it's cold, wear something for that. Otherwise choose the best stats. There's only one (?) stat that each armor has. Unlike plenty of RPGs that have about 10 with buffs and debuffs and resistances.

Timers? Doesn't seem complicated again. Cooking? Same thing.
Weapons is the only thing I could see being an issue, but I'll have to see how it is done throughout the game. But again, weapons seem to only have one stat and then their type which is pretty simple.

I'd have to listen to the part for myself, but I was worried for a second lol.

to each his own

but all that shit to me just sounds delightful

knowing that I'm going to have to deal with the shit that you just described in a game
without it being bogged down by excessive realism or statistic prerequisites
without having to navigate through complex crafting menus and recipe books
without having to babysit meters just to stay afloat
I'll get to plan and execute plans and improvise organically, in such a way that no game has really enabled for me since modding New Vegas.

Wereroku

Jeff seems like a very hard guy to please. What kind of games does he like?

He really liked Horizon and WD2. But really he seems positive on it just a little confused about why it was still called Zelda. I honestly think him not playing very far into the game is kind of what is giving him reservations. But I mean from the gameplay videos we know this is an entirely new take on Zelda so I can understand why he is a little off about it.

That "gone too far" line really looked like a joking kind of statement on video, but, yes, we can just wait until next week instead of arguing about it.

Hindl

Jeff seems like a very hard guy to please. What kind of games does he like?

Clickers

The numbers Keep. Getting. Higher.

In all seriousness he really enjoyed Horizon, likes shooters, loved Mario Maker, lots of things. He's pretty early on in the game, and as he was talking it out with other people he seemed like he might be warming up to it. One of his main criticisms was that even though he was one of the people saying Zelda needed to change up for a while now, they may have made too many changes. But as the podcast went on he realized a lot of the changes bring it back to Zelda 1, and he was slightly more positive with that perspective

odd he would feel that way since he's quite high on Horizon (for example) and what Ive seen streamed of that game seems like quite a hell of a lot of crafting, menuing, and management

I guess we'll see if he thinks it finds a rhythm as he gets further.

2017 is going down in history brehs.

Absolutely.

And Mario in the fall means I already have seen amazing to cap the year off with.

odd he would feel that way since he's quite high on Horizon (for example) and what Ive seen streamed of that game seems like quite a hell of a lot of crafting, menuing, and management

I guess we'll see if he thinks it finds a rhythm as he gets further.

Most of Horizon crafting is quick and can be done on the fly mid combat without causing much if any interruptions.

Ansatz

I find that BotW has two different kinds of outdoor activities, and those things you mention are part of the survival aspect of the game which I'm not a fan of. I consider those types of repetitive activities as filler, or a waste of time to be more precise.

The parts I'm looking forward to are experimenting with the new tools and physics engine which are mighty impressive, but we'll see whether there are a variety of scenarios where those things can be used in meaningful ways. What I mean is why stack up a bunch of explosive barrels like Bill did in the E3 demo when you can simply storm in and take out the bokoblins with the sword? There has to be an incentive, not just "yep, this is a thing you can do for the luls"

Where I'm completely sold on though are the shrines, those are shaping up to be something really special for me personally. Although I heard some of them are combat oriented? That's a dissapointment, I was hoping for 100+ pure puzzle based rooms but they can more than make up for that if the four dungeons contain high quality traditional Zelda gameplay with clever ideas and tight level design. I could see myself thinking very highly of BotW in the end, but it's obviously far from my ideal Zelda experience.

Mory Dunz

Absolutely.

And Mario in the fall means I already have seen amazing to cap the year off with.

Can it beat 2007?

Let's say Mario is good, Xeno is good and makes 2017, RDR makes it, Pokemon exsits, ARMS is good, Persona in West, games that have already come out, Splatoon 2, Return of AC, Scorpio and Switch releasing

What am I missing? Do Crackdown or GoW have a chance? I don't really pay attention to those 2 games

FE Warriors and FE I suppose

Where I'm completely sold on though are the shrines, those are shaping up to be something really special for me personally. Although I heard some of them are combat oriented? That's a dissapointment, I was hoping for 100+ pure puzzle based rooms but they can more than make up for that if the four dungeons contain high quality traditional Zelda gameplay with clever ideas and tight level design.

there are also a TON of purely environemtnal puzzles scattered throughout the overworld that deal in clever traversal techniques, platformingish stuff, pattern recognition etc.

You will not be wanting for tight design, sir. I can very confidently assure you

Sheroking

He really liked Horizon and WD2. But really he seems positive on it just a little confused about why it was still called Zelda. I honestly think him not playing very far into the game is kind of what is giving him reservations. But I mean from the gameplay videos we know this is an entirely new take on Zelda so I can understand why he is a little off about it.

Jeff Gerstmann is probably the last human being on earth I'd go to for Zelda opinions, and not because of the score he gave Twilight Princess.

It's just never been his thing.

Hindl

Can it beat 2007?

Let's say Mario is good, Xeno is good and makes 2017, RDR makes it, Pokemon exsits, ARMS is good, Persona in West, games that have already come out, Splatoon 2, Return of AC, Scorpio and Switch releasing

What am I missing? Do Crackdown or GoW have a chance? I don't really pay attention to those 2 games

I mean, RE7, Nioh, Yakuza 0 and Horizon already came out and were really good

Jeff Gerstmann is probably the last human being on earth I'd go to for Zelda opinions, and not because of the score he gave Twilight Princess.

It's just never been his thing.

He loves Ocarina of Time, Zelda 1 and 2, and WW, and LttP is one of his favorite games ever. So I don't think Zelda has never been his thing

woah, giant bomb west disassembled

Well Brad's sick and Jason's on vacation. But yeah it's a skeleton crew out there

Speely

Banned
I think it's safe to say that with as drastic a change that they've made with BotW, not everyone will be ecstatic about it. I am fucking psyched about everything I am hearing/seeing, but I also predict a lower MC than some. I think 92 was my guess in the prediction thread for big 2017 games.

And that would be impressive as hell in today's market imo.

Fou-Lu

Can it beat 2007?

There will probably be at least a few games announced at E3 that will come out this year too.

Oh, Ni no Kuni 2, Mass Effect, Sea of Thieves, Divinity Original Sin 2 and Nier are some games you missed.

Ansatz

there are also a TON of purely environemtnal puzzles scattered throughout the overworld that deal in clever traversal techniques, platformingish stuff, pattern recognition etc.

You will not be wanting for tight design, sir. I can very confidently assure you

Well, replace the word tight with hand-crafted and you get the idea! It doesn't have to necessarily be small, enclosed spaces. That sounds very interesting indeed.

Just make sure that they're meaningful as I said before, not merely convoluted solutions to problems that can be solved in much simpler ways. Like if I can just reach the other side by traversing for 3 minutes bypassing the obstacle ahead, what is really the point of being clever and coming up with shortcuts using the tools and environment at your disposal? I basically want the crazy and inventive things you can do in this game to not only be encouraged by the geometry, but practically mandatory to perform in order to progress. That I just can't see happening. Maybe for optional stuff? Like how it's easy to clear a 2D Mario level these days but it's a different thing entirely to collect the star coins and find hidden exits. For example finding and then reaching some of the later shrines could be a highly satisfactory task. I hope that's really the case

Top Bottom