• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Sounds like you should devoure/like zelda then. It seems to evolve around exploration of the world, finding out stuff about the worlds lord and solve puzzles with survival thrown into the mix all of that with, that's how I feel, ghibli movie kind of graphics.

Yeah, I can't wait for it to be delivered, I am really excited about the Switch, as it is different than my PC, XB1S, WiiU, Steam Link, and Nvidia Shield TV.

Getting to lay in bed with my wife and take notes on lore, just like I did with BloodBorne and Dark Souls 3, which lead me to DK2 and 1. Then it got me into The Witcher, taking notes and I write a in a journal type book as I play. The bad things is I only game a couple hours a week and my back log is huge. I may have to reconsider my playing hours and just give into the urge of my hobby.

I super excited about this console.

DNAbro

I always find it weird that some people are "man I want to see some more negative impressions, that's the real shit"

Air

Banned
There's some footage of a large enemy picking up a stalkobolin and throwing it at link.

This game, man

LordKano

Ok can I get some previews from people that aren't long time Nintendo fans? Some of these previews are just kinda over the top that I just can't take seriously at times.

No game is perfect, and I would just like a more well rounded preview versus the hype that another great Zelda game is finally here.

I have bad news : the whole world is a Nintendo fan and therefore every review is biased.

killroy87

Is the Beastcast spoilery at all, or can I hear it without being afraid?

Depends on how easily triggered you are by "spoilers".

I'm pretty lax, I generally don't care, but some people consider the slightest mention of something that hasn't been explicitly revealed yet a spoiler.

That said, they generally just discuss overall feelings and thoughts on the game.

Can you try to put both the console and the TV in full RGB range?

The TV's (Samsung KS8000) always ready for full RGB, since I had to go through this with the PS4 Pro. For some reason, the Switch won't choose Full RGB Range in the options. It just defaults back to whatever the current option is, Automatic or Limited. Intriguing.

noshten

It be truly magical if they have truly produced a Zelda that is able to tell a thousands of different stories. It be cool if everyone is able to experience something unique during their play-through

While I could very well end up agreeing with that quote, and I mean absolutely nothing personally toward the GX crew as I'm also a huge Nintendo fan so I can relate, but they are typically hardcore enthusiastic about Nintendo. I'm not saying this makes their opinions invalid, but it could be hyperbolic for some.

I also don't think it's healthy to take that level of praise into the game, or... anything.

Ok can I get some previews from people that aren't long time Nintendo fans? Some of these previews are just kinda over the top that I just can't take seriously at times.

No game is perfect, and I would just like a more well rounded preview versus the hype that another great Zelda game is finally here.

Maybe the game is just really good?

Or maybe the problems aren't prevalent until after the five hour mark?

Either way "give me negatives!" seems like a strange desire.

The TV's (Samsung KS8000) always ready for full RGB, since I had to go through this with the PS4 Pro. For some reason, the Switch won't choose Full RGB Range in the options. It just defaults back to whatever the current option is, Automatic or Limited. Intriguing.

I know this is a general and difficult question, but do you have any suggestions for how to handle playing the game on a 4k tv? I'm scared.

Caelus

Yup, in the second video I posted if you watch very carefully, the Lizlafos tosses a mini rock monster at Link. It explodes upon impact, which is what those little "mini-Steppe Talus" guys do.

Ah yeah you're right, I'm so happy about the enemy variety in this game. This game is such a step up from the past 3D Zeldas that it'll be hard to replay those, aside from MM maybe which had its own unique focus.

Any word on how many total dungeons the game has?

No one has confirmed, but the rumor is

killroy87

Honestly, I think these are level-headed impressions.

tCMqSj9.jpg

wreckml

Lol it looks like Shadow of the Colossus graphics, a PS2 game. God you fanboys get so defensive. I have a switch pre-ordered and will be getting Zelda day one. I'm just pointing out the obvious visuals. Keep kidding yourself then, its fine.

There is an objective reason this doesn't have PS2 graphics:

PS2 was not in HD. Shadow of the Colossus ran at 512x448. BoTW is 900p upres'd to 1080p. Just in terms of clarity, this game is objectively better.

Sure the visuals are not great compared to newer consoles / PC graphics, but you're exaggerating a lot to try to make your point.

I had to ensure UHD Color was off on my KS8000 while capturing to allow audio passthrough from the Elgato to the One Connect Box.

Wasn't sure what we were allowed to talk about here. But allow me to offer a bit more detail since it's been discussed (and it appears after reviewing guidelines it's okay as long as it isn't specific): NPCs have conversations that are literally dynamic. Their commentary changes according to not only weather, but even factors such as time of day and what you are holding or doing at times. And the dialogue is integrated into the conversation; it isn't a separate bubble or an obviously out-of-place blurb. It actually seems authentic.

Holy hell... I can't think of a single game which actually does anything like that... It integrates context into your actual (semi) scripted conversations? Like,

NPC: Hey you, by the look of that grimy woodcutter's axe and your wet boots I can tell you've been to the swamp, can you go back there and find X for me?

Yeah like I said earlier, some of the hyperbole is off the charts in some of these previews. I get people are hyped but man I'd love some more level headed impressions.

Except these are the level headed impressions. These are not previews by Nintendo fans, this is the gaming press. This is the most level headed you will find.

Lexxism

I knew it. Nintendo paid all of these reviewers to make it all positive!

I know this is a general and difficult question, but do you have any suggestions for how to handle playing the game on a 4k tv? I'm scared.

It defaults to 1080p and looks fine on my 4K TV, except for the haze thing. I was used to it, but now it's bothering me.

I had to ensure UHD Color was off on my KS8000 while capturing to allow audio passthrough from the Elgato to the One Connect Box.

Wow. It cut off your audio? That did not happen in my case. Which Elgato are you using?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I guess they never played zelda 2

I am 100% sure they are not allowed to talk about that lol. Reviewers are only allowed to comment on stuff they found in the first 5 hours.

Yeah I would imagine they aren't, but it still slipped out.

I'm listening to the Zelda portion of the Bombcast again, and they mention Zelda 2, saying BOTW is the biggest change in the series since Zelda 1 to Zelda 2.

And actually, they say the sense of discovery is bigger than any other game in the series. PERIOD.

LotusHD

Banned
Here are a list of previews that aren't incredibly positive on Breath of the Wild:

Lmao took me awhile to get it

Probably, yes. You are right.
What I've found here is that the games pushes you A LOT to experiment.
The idea for me is that we will continue seeing different gifs/videos/images of the game showing us new/different ways of doing something we already did in another way, but also many (maybe little) things we dind't know were in the game at all.

Please note that the only open worlds I really liked were the 2 Xenoblade games so far, but this one seems richer in terms of interactions. Way reacher. Way way way way way richer.
Despite being as big as those (more or less), and equally satisfying visually

Yup. If you gonna go big, you gotta fill it up with actually interesting shit to do. Otherwise I may just start looking for more "compact" open worlds lol

Safe to say this will be the highest reviewed game this year. Persona 5 is the only game in 2017 that I could see surpassing it with critics.

This looks so good. I'm jealous of my fellow Switch/Wii U gaffers!

Hermii

What? Discovering the first temple after 25 hours?! How is that a positive thing?! I'm playing Twilight Princess right now and that is almost the play time I have right now and I'm at 3/4 of the game!

e65.gif
Its not like there will be anything else to play on Switch in a while.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Zelda Breadth of the Wild got us our first 20 pages Switch thread with no negative poster. The game is that good.

Coffinhal

Maybe the game is just really good?

Or maybe the problems aren't prevalent until after the five hour mark?

Either way "give me negatives!" seems like a strange desire.

It's always good to hear a more negative side if justified. Especially here because Nintendo purposely chose the first 5h because they probably knew people are blown away in the first hours and it's a great hype machine even if you don't show or talk about a lot of things. Taking a step back is always good in these cases so you don't go all hyperbole and BEST GAME EVER
but if the game is wonderful, well it's wonderful

Holy hell... I can't think of a single game which actually does anything like that... It integrates context into your actual (semi) scripted conversations? Like,

NPC: Hey you, by the look of that grimy woodcutter's axe and your wet boots I can tell you've been to the swamp, can you go back there and find X for me?

Not sure if it's quite to THAT level, but as an example, you might hear something like:

"Well, yeah, it's raining again. I'm headed out for my evening exercise regardless however as it's good for you!"

or

"Wow, I can't believe you have an [x] with you. It's been a really long time since I saw anything like that."

I just made that up, but it's a pretty good approximation of what you might hear.

daxy

Is draw distance or some form of visual fidelity sacrificed when you play it in handheld mode? I thought I heard something about that a while ago.

Griss

Having downloaded and watched the Gamersyde videos the IQ is, sadly, garbage. As expected. Oh well, it's a small point against what looks like being an incredible game.

It'll be hard going from the astonishing 1080p crispness of Wind Waker HD to this though. I need to finish WWHD this weekend.

BFIB

This is going to be Witcher 3 levels from what I'm reading.

This game may last me until late summer.

Top Bottom