• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Rodin

The TV's (Samsung KS8000) always ready for full RGB, since I had to go through this with the PS4 Pro. For some reason, the Switch won't choose Full RGB Range in the options. It just defaults back to whatever the current option is, Automatic or Limited. Intriguing.

That's... Yeah. I was going to use it like that, but guess i'm gonna have to stick with limited with low black on my OLED TV. Hopefully it won't look washed out.

jblank83

tCMqSj9.jpg

I remember, vividly, where I was when I played Super Mario Galaxy for the first time. Same goes for games like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

Nintendo is capable of making games that good. So I would not write the glowing previews off without cause. Everything we've seen so far really does look amazing.

Plum

It's always good to hear a more negative side if justified. Especially here because Nintendo purposely chose the first 5h because they probably knew people are blown away in the first hours and it's a great hype machine even if you don't show or talk about a lot of things. Taking a step back is always good in these cases
but if the game is wonderful, well it's wonderful

Sites can only talk specifically about and show the first 5 hours. We've had vague impressions from people 20-30 hours in and they seem equally as glowing.

It defaults to 1080p and looks fine on my 4K TV, except for the haze thing. I was used to it, but now it's bothering me.

Wow. It cut off your audio? That did not happen in my case. Which Elgato are you using?
Er, the 1080p 60fps one. I suck at this stuff in spite of my expertise as a tech consultant and reviewer, so apologies in advance. I didn't do a lot of troubleshooting but that definitely is what fixed it!

Having downloaded and watched the Gamersyde videos the IQ is, sadly, garbage. As expected. Oh well, it's a small point against what looks like being an incredible game.

It'll be hard going from the astonishing 1080p crispness of Wind Waker HD to this though. I need to finish WWHD this weekend.

I think playing in portable mode wll be better to the IQ.

I'm not really much of a Zelda fan and even I'm rather excited for this game. Loving what I'm seeing so far in regard to the variety of weapons.

Maybe the game is just really good?

Or maybe the problems aren't prevalent until after the five hour mark?

Either way "give me negatives!" seems like a strange desire.

I understand where he is coming from completely after Skyward Sword. The previews tell a completely different story from what I received.

Jaraghan

It's weird. For the past 6 months I have had zero hype for this game (even though I knew I was going to get it).

All of a sudden last night my hype skyrocketed. After reading these previews, Friday cannot come soon enough.

Chaos17

The previews are great but this reads like a hyperbole.

Do you want me to go dig all the hyperboles of happy people from the press that your avatar is from ? :)
No ?
Then please stop assuming stuff just to create drama. None here are ignoring the graphical flaws of the game but we're more interested of what the game will let us do as FUN interactions with the world.

From reading and watching various previews, the lateral change to the dungeons in having them and puzzles be sandboxes with freedom is sort of bittersweet. Reckon it's necessary after all the lock-and-key dungeons of the past two decades, but it almost feels like Zelda's Resident Evil 4 moment

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's always good to hear a more negative side if justified. Especially here because Nintendo purposely chose the first 5h because they probably knew people are blown away in the first hours and it's a great hype machine even if you don't show or talk about a lot of things. Taking a step back is always good in these cases so you don't go all hyperbole and BEST GAME EVER
but if the game is wonderful, well it's wonderful
The people who preview the first 5 hours did not have to stop after them. They played for more than 20hours. At least some/most of them from what we heard.

Do you want me to go dig all the hyperboles of happy people from the press that your avatar is from ? :)
No ?
Then please stop assuming stuff just to create drama. None here are ignoring the graphical flaws of the game but we're more interested of what the game will let us do as FUN interactions with the world.

Yes, you can do that. I don't care.

The Lamp

I will have this game in less than 1 week.

I've been waiting since I finished Skyward Sword, lol, but E3 made the wait absolutely unbearable.

Not sure if it's quite to THAT level, but as an example, you might hear something like:

"Well, yeah, it's raining again. I'm headed out for my evening exercise regardless however as it's good for you!"

or

"Wow, I can't believe you have an [x] with you. It's been a really long time since I saw anything like that."

I just made that up, but it's a pretty good approximation of what you might hear.

Ah gotcha, still very cool! And a lot more contextual than you'd expect from a Zelda game.

By the way I loved your exploration videos! Especially that sunset on the ocean...

Luigiv

That's... Yeah. I was going to use it like that, but guess i'm gonna have to stick with limited with low black on my OLED TV. Hopefully it won't look washed out.

As long as both the TV and the system are set to the same mode, the difference between "limited" and "full" RGB should be near indistinguishable to normal colour vision.

Top Bottom