• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

JMY86

Probably already posted, but:

2CTSjf0.gif

Fuck it, I'm in. I have been on the fence with my Switch preorder for a month now. The crappy launch lineup, no VC and numerous other issues had me cancelling my preorder. These previews have me hyped again. I have been in my opinion very deservedly critical of Nintendo the last several years but this game really looks incredible. I am taking off the 3rd and 6th so I have 4 days to get lost in this game...

Coffinhal

Your original point was that we've only been given impressions about 5 hours of the game. I showed you that this wasn't the case. There's little proof of their being some inherent bias which I'm assuming was what you were implying.

My points were
1) Hearing about the negative side is always good (opposed to what someone said)
2) The rules of the NDA are one the things that create a perception bias that can lead to too much hyperbole and not enough distance
3) That's why* you don't hear about the negative side much now
*one of the reasons

It's all in my first post which you don't properly read (or my English is very bad, sorry for that and for trying to get things more balanced)

E-phonk

Banned
Metroid isn't Miyamoto's darling like Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin are. Sadly won't ever happen.
No, but now that they have the engine up and running they could build other games on top of them.

Don't know exactly if it would fit metroid, but I'm quite sure they are going to re-use this engine (which itself is based on the xenoblade x engine) with all of it's physics build in for other nintendo games.

Lom1lo

So performance is better when in portable mode ? Dont get this, the GPU has more than twice the clock in docked Mode, this should be enough for not even twice the pixels

Peléo

I've read too much. Kinda regretted coming to the thread since I was spoiler free since the Switch Trailer. Couldn't resist though. The game seems to be everything people were hoping for.

marmoka

Banned
I decided to but Switch by September. Now I'm reconsidering it.

I need this game. I could play it on my Wii U, bit I don't have it now with me :(

Jesus, at what point are previews just straight-up reviews?

Go ahead and put it on the short list of GOTY contenders already (and I'm sure it'll win more than a few GOTY awards).

So performance is better when in portable mode ? Dont get this, the GPU has more than twice the clock in docked Mode, this should be enough for not even twice the pixels

Wonder if setting the TV output at 720p would drop the rendering resolution or it's always rendering 900p. I'd drop resolution for performance, given the choice.

Plenty of these people have been harsh to other Nintendo games, and even other Zelda games.

I have a feeling this one might come very close :)

There are plenty of previews from sites that don't have a heavy Nintendo leaning. Hell, Gamespot the infamous "8.8" site is absolutely adoring it.

Yeah like I said earlier, some of the hyperbole is off the charts in some of these previews. I get people are hyped but man I'd love some more level headed impressions.

The problem with this is so far EVERY outlet even ones that are typically heavily critical of Nintendo like Polygon and CNET have been glowing. There's even a few that have outright said they have tried very had to find fault with the game and can only come up with minor issues.

I mean, just look at the OP. Lots of sources there.

Here are a list of previews that aren't incredibly positive on Breath of the Wild:

they're in the OP

Yeah I'm looking for them. GamerRevolution seems to be the closest we can get

You should probably check the OP for that.
Or you assume all those previews are from "long time Nintendo fans"?

Ok...tks guys...read a few and yeah seems like the negatives are just minor and everyone across the board is pretty hyped. Was gonna wait until Fall to get my Switch...

Thinking about just impulsing it and putting it on paypal now. Previews make it sound like we're in for another ocarina of time classic.

Spinluck

Its suffocating your hype because Horizon is a new IP. It has nothing to do with the quality of either games.

I am actually feeling sorry for Zelda right now.Nintendo is hyping this up so much,but its barely catching up to open world/souls-like game design ,and it looks two gens behind.

BoTW is more technically impressive than anything from last gen. Two gens behind lol. Come on man.

Nintendo isn't really hyping it, that would be the press speaking for themselves.

Plum

My points were
1) Hearing about the negative side is always good (opposed to what someone said)
2) The rules of the NDA are one the things that create a perception bias that can lead to too much hyperbole and not enough distance
3) That's why* you don't hear about the negative side much now
*one of the reasons

It's all in my first post which you don't properly read (or my English is very bad, sorry for that and for trying to get things more balanced)

I can definitely see, and sorry for my blunt second reply, but as we've seen the NDA doesn't prohibit people saying "I'm x hours in and I think x", it just prohibits them going into any more detail. JSchreier's clearly played a lot more of the game than just 5 hours and if there were some major issues hiding behind that time-span we definitely would know. It's good to get a negative side, yeah, but to be honest it just doesn't seem like there's much to be negative about. It's not like the hype stops it either, the Switch itself has that ongoing Joy-Con connectivity issue going on and the aforementioned JSchreier called it "undercooked" (despite me semi-disagreeing with his reasoning).

Go ahead and put it on the short list of GOTY contenders already (and I'm sure it'll win more than a few GOTY awards).

One can only hope that it doesn't get forgetton by the press like the Wii U lineup did when Shadow of Mordor won so many awards.

🙄

Caelus

We still know very little about the game's primary narrative, the structure of which might determine the difference between very good and.... very, very fucking good.

Aonuma promised we'd cry at the cutscenes and story. :mad: We better.

Instro

Could be something that needs additional performance patching. Hopefully anyway. Otherwise, please Nintendo release some sort of power upgrade for the Switch soon. With how great the previews are so far, and what we are seeing, I would love to see this get a higher IQ patch/release down the line.

usp84

Seeing thoese new "spoilery" screens from the last page makes me wonder just how much we haven't seen from this game

Top Bottom