• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I alrady clicked in the spoilers thread 3 times already without noticing, i need help

Lucky me, didn't happen yet. Is it bad and instantly full of really bad spoilers or is it relatively harmless?

I don't know why some people are in disbelief that this could be a game that rivals OoT and Mario Galaxy. It's been 10 years since Mario Galaxy, Nintendo was bound to make another classic eventually.

"The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time" is my favorite Zelda game.

If "The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild" can equal or possibly best it - I will be elated.

success.gif

ckaneo

It's beautiful, yeah. Mario Odyssey is the most I've been excited for a new Mario game in a long time.

I just wish Nintendo kinda did similar things with franchises like Metroid, Paper Mario, and such. Go back and make the games people want.

The problem is that those arent big budget titles. And they cant get the budget cause they cant get the sales.

But yeah, I wish they treated those as flagship titles like they do Mario and Zelda

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

If "The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild" can equal or possibly best it - I will be elated.

success.gif

You know what? If Zelda BotW can accomplish to make open world games exciting again to me, then I'm happy already. If it's a better Zelda than OoT or even LttP (no way btw) then god help me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Man, it's been a rough couple of years personally for me in relation to Nintendo games, but they are proving why they are still one of if not the greatest game developer on the planet. If Odyssey lives up to its potential this could be one of the greatest years ever in gaming.(Ni Oh, Horizon, RE7, Persona, Zelda, Mario, Red Dead just to name a few)
Imagine lapsed Nintendo gamers who Skipped Wii U. They will discover Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon in the space of few months, and wonder what happened to Nintendo.

NSESN

Lucky me, didn't happen yet. Is it bad and instantly full of really bad spoilers or is it relatively harmless?

I only saw one heavy spoiler, but I closed the thread fast, the other time it was talking about something I already knew so I realized before spoiling myself more.

ckaneo

success.gif
The thing about OOT is that it has the least controversial gimmick in the series and obviously is the first 3d zelda. The other games have things that can make or break the game for you. Wolf link, 3 day system, sailing, and in this case a truly open world. I don't think OOT can be topped, it's just too perfect a game for the time that it came out in.

You know what? If Zelda BotW can accomplish to make open world games exciting again to me, then I'm happy already. If it's a better Zelda than OoT or even LttP (no way btw) then god help me.

No Zelda game has rivaled OOT in my opinion. TP was the closest to accomplishing that feat during it's much hyped run-up to release; but it fell pitifully short in the end.

Spinifex

Imagine lapsed Nintendo gamers who Skipped Wii U. They will discover Zelda, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon in the space of few months, and wonder what happened to Nintendo.

I'm one of these lapsed people. I didn't own a Wii U and am really excited to check out Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 this year.

KingBroly

Banned
I can't recall how many games allow the AI to attack other AI, and even if they can, it's few and far between with limited interaction.

ReyVGM

What exactly are mature gameplay mechanics?

See those enemies over there?

Set the grass on fire, vault off the horse, get your paraglider out, catch the updraft from the fire to raise your altitude, drop a bomb from the air and detonate, then drop yourself with a downward thrust on to the remaining enemies. Then slide down the hill with your shield while wearing shades that say "deal with it".

Caelus

You can hop on, but they will knock you off cause they arent rideable.

Sort of like what would happen if you tried that on a deer in real life.

The "soothe" option is there, I imagine it's much harder to tame one but not impossible, and they'll probably die a lot faster if you bring them into battle.

13ruce

Banned

This is a game tho. And it took alot of inspiration from Princess Mononoke. So it's probably rideable.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
See those enemies over there?

Set the grass on fire, vault off the horse, get your paraglider out, catch the updraft from the fire to raise your altitude, drop a bomb from the air and detonate, then drop yourself with a downward thrust on to the remaining enemies. Then slide down the hill with your shield while wearing shades that say "deal with it".
10/10.

jariw

Eiji aonuma:

W E W

E

W

But for each try to surpass themselves with something this big, it will require more and more man years.

Perhaps a totally new approach won't be available during this hardware cycle, unless they reuse the same engine? Probably wise of them to expand the existing world with DLC in the meantime.

verbatimo

What are you guys doing while waiting for BOTW? I'm playing Ratchet and Clank, gonna watch Logan Thursday and have to finish a research paper for school. Gonna keep me busy! I asked for Friday off at work, so I'll play the living shit out of the game.

Week days go quite fast. 8 hours of work per day.

After work exercise, Mafia 3 and Planetside 2 maybe an hour or two per day.

Then finally after Friday 3th 4PM

1. Zelda
2. Eat
3. Sleep
4. GOTO 1

NewGame

Banned
The original Zelda on NES had slow down with multiple enemies and projectiles.

Ocarina Of Time had slow down, beautiful in the fight with Ganondorf as he slams the floor causing the platforms to fall away.

And this game will have slow down, it won't impede your gameplay- it will just be there to remind you you're playing a game that is pushing the console's limits as opposed to what people get actually get mad about: poor optimization and gamebreaking stuttering.

Cuburt

Fujibayashi in the Edge interview telling how he took some inspiration from Terraria and Minecraft in terms exploration and sense of adventure and how that inspires curiosity in the player.
Great games to be inspired by. In fact, there seems to be so much great inspiration taken from other games and media. Fujibayashi deserves a lot of credit for what BotW was able to pull off and it might not have been able to be what it became if Skyward Sword didn't take the risks that it did.

Firemind

Ocarina Of Time had slow down, beautiful in the fight with Ganondorf as he slams the floor causing the platforms to fall away.
When you hit him with a light arrow and it slows down as the light erupts from his body. Epic. Wish there will be a final boss that can come close to that.

Man, it's been a rough couple of years personally for me in relation to Nintendo games, but they are proving why they are still one of if not the greatest game developer on the planet. If Odyssey lives up to its potential this could be one of the greatest years ever in gaming.(Ni Oh, Horizon, RE7, Persona, Zelda, Mario, Red Dead just to name a few)

After seeing the glowing previews for BoTW, I no longer have any doubts about Odyssesy. Nintendo knows what they are doing.

jariw

The "soothe" option is there, I imagine it's much harder to tame one but not impossible, and they'll probably die a lot faster if you bring them into battle.

That were my thoughts as well. There are horses that are more difficult to tame than others, so I would believe it's "skill" or "ability" thing if Link can ride the animals or not. Perhaps there's a potion/food that will increase the ability to be friends with wild animals?

ReyVGM

People saying it isn't rideable, any reasons ? I was pretty hyped about the idea , even if I can't keep one in the stable.

Ok. You will probably be able to ride it, but not for a prolonged amount of time. It will probably get tired and stop walking, or die, or get killed. You probably won't be able to keep it in a stable. So it will be just something you can do for fun. Hopefully you can ride those boars too, and that donkey you see at the stables.

syncyes

Based on the footage I've seen, it seems more like people have been using up all their stamina chasing after the deer and not maintaining enough to tame it. For example, there is also footage of wild horses knocking Link off almost immediately because his stamina is so close to the red.

ZeroX03

Banned
Online reviews will drop March 2nd at 3 AM PT/6 AM ET/11 AM GMT. I will post the review thread 10 minutes before that. (Graphics are a work in progress)

HOMsCMM.gif

Maybe don't put quotes in big ass images and just use the quote tag, makes it look like you're dividing them into sections when it really isn't.

KrawlMan

Based on the footage I've seen, it seems more like people have been using up all their stamina chasing after the deer and not maintaining enough to tame it. For example, there is also footage of wild horses knocking Link off almost immediately because his stamina is so close to the red.

Then my guess is it's something you'll need to build up to. Shoddy broken horses to start, badass deer and stallions later. If it's possible I will be riding a buck, just for the antlers.

Dystify

Maybe don't put quotes in big ass images and just use the quote tag, makes it look like you're dividing them into sections when it really isn't.

Hmm I thought that might be an issue when I had the image quote idea. There aren't really many ways to edit text on GAF so the quotes did stand out a bit. I plan to do that quote thing again (and something else) but maybe I can come up with something so it's less obtruding.

Cuburt

This is what I'm thinking, just based on the bonding mechanic with horses sounding like some wild horses are much harder to tame than others. Not only that but just how much crazy shit you can do in this game that you assume isn't possible but people just try it and find out that, yes, Nintendo did think of that and programmed it as something they wanted people to be able to do. We will see.

Top Bottom