• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

If that's what you're getting from these reviews then I'm pretty sure you're either not reading or not paying attention.

One of the most common aspects to these reviews is the thought that when you ask the question "can I do this?" in the game the answer is almost always "yes" which is not something we've ever seen in a game like this. The complexity of the systems and mechanics is essentially unheard of.

Plus, when have you ever been able to climb literally anything in an open world game (that's not named Spiderman)?

The Lamp

I cannot believe I get to play this in just a few hours. Unbelievable.

It's too bad Nintendo games are always trapped on outdated hardware. I would have loved to play this with 60 fps and better visual effects, but at least the art styles are always timeless

I think back to that thread a few days back where they asked if reviews were always objective. I think these review scores provide a ready answer.

There's nothing I've seen listed in any of these reviews which blows your mind. No boundary pushing depth or complexity, no underheard of mechanics. The story telling remains rote, the technical perfomance is acceptable and there's the usual mixture of combat, traversal and puzzles.

There's no redefining of the open world scenario and nothing in the combat which is radically different from what we've seen before. Why the perfect 10s? What kind of otherworldly achievement would merit that? Simply being a Zelda game in a critical forum who's leading voices grew up with Ocarina of Time.

That's my takeaway.

Maybe you should play the game first before making sweeping generalizations about dozens of reviewers

Fbh

Holy shit.

I was expecting it to do really well...But not THIS good.

Fuck...now I don't know if I can stick to my plan to wait some months to get a switch

takriel

Can anyone say 'moneyhat'?

Jeez, I'm looking at this thread and I'm seeing what I guess full grown ADULTS losing there minds over a game for CHILDREN. I guess it's good at what its supposed to do which is to entertain kids but some of you need to GROW UP, y'all acting like your at kindergarten LMAO.

I guess it like with Disney, sure the films are good and maybe an adult can enjoy them if he has to be in the room but you have LOST YOUR MIND if you think you can compare those films to adult movies like scareface and the fast and furious franchise.

If you like this game you NEED to grow up, that's all their is too it.

What an epic meltdown. Stay salty please.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Remember the "oscar worthy story"? LOL.

GTA IV remains one of the biggest fuck-ups of the gaming press.

I'll defend GTA IV until the day I die. By far the best story in a GTA game in a world that's far removed from the series' usual OTT wackiness and 'satire'. I really hope Rockstar go back to a more mature tone in GTA VI.

That's my takeaway.

And my hot take is that you should spend more time posting in something other than the Horizon OT if you want to come of as anything but salty.

black070

C56Z_6rWYAA7AIf.jpg:orig

That's my takeaway.

You're wrong there.

zulux21

The best selling Zelda, without remakes, didn't surpassed 9M copies. I see Horizon easily doing U4 numbers so...

uh............
no.

There is a decent chance horizon outsells breath of the wild (at least at launch, long term numbers especially after there is a zelda switch bundle will likely be a very different story. zelda with a new console launch will no doubt be more of a long burn.)

but there is no way in hell a new IP reaches the sales numbers of sony's currently most popular IP. (which is close to 9 mil in sales)

horizon will be lucky if it can outsell final fantasy 15's 6mil.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad to see such wonderful praise for Botw. I'm impatient to play this game and I don't have a Switch yet. Might have to play the Wii U version for now.

Copenap

I don't even want to get into discussing the rest of your post but the thought that anyone could ever think a game review is objective is just weird.

Grakl

That's my takeaway.
Your takeaway is so objective, u r our savior

I kinda feel bad for Sony.

They shouldn't have released Horizon so close to Zelda.
Nah, it's just because Horizon isn't filled with completely new gameplay mechanics IMO, I think it's slightly underrated, it's a master piece in polish, graphics and story telling IMO. You should certainly get both, Zelda is going to be more influential no doubt.

e_i

"Best game of all time?"
"Better than OoT?"

Wow. Um...holy shit. This game better rock my nuts off then.

I cannot believe I get to play this in just a few hours. Unbelievable.

It's too bad Nintendo games are always trapped on outdated hardware. I would have loved to play this with 60 fps and better visual effects, but at least the art styles are always timeless

I'll be playing in portable mode late this year.

ckaneo

If Sony bundles Horizon, then yes, it's possible.

Nintendo almost never bundles Zelda games.

In the end, it doesn't really matter though.

Also Zelda games never get discounted.

I swear some of these other studios practically give games away.
Fuck you Nintendo

Coffinhal

That's my takeaway.

Yep what you rightly point out is that how reviews are reviewed (limited time, having access before everyone else so you're just a few to play and enjoy, hype outside of this...)create bias.

I'm not going to read reviews until I play the game but they don't know how to build a critique, it's just the summary of technical things they check in boxes and become hyperbolistic very quickly (with or without any reason).

This is probably how I'm going to feel by the time I'm done with both, yea.

I'm in love with Horizon. BotW as a follow up?

😍😍

My wallet is hurting… Just completed TLG…just started with Nioh but already put in my backlog folder for Horizon. Too many games…

Anyone saw this review?

http://www.zam.com/article/1365/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review
Verdict: No

They hate that it is open world and like Dark Souls.

That does actually highlight many thoughts I have had whilst reading/watching the reviews. I.e. most focus on the exploration and freedom with little on the dungeons (why I like Zelda) and doesn't reference how they compare to other games in the series. It is times like this when I wish reviewers would sometimes reference other games outside a series rather than within so I can make a slightly better decision if this is a game for me or not. Sometimes a simple "if you like the exploration of elder scrolls this is a game for you" would be great because it keeps things on track, gives a reference point and in the case of a statement like that it will make my decision easy and immediate.

trixx

The best selling Zelda, without remakes, didn't surpassed 9M copies. I see Horizon easily doing U4 numbers so...
I think this game is going to pull in a lot of new people to the franchise. in a sense, the changes will probably pay off. Who knows though, hope both do well

Ocarina of Time came out in 98. I'm feeling a 98. Believe.

Wish I couldn't have put my prediction down in this thread! Luckily I had it posted in the preview thread! We're down to less than 24 hours GAF!

Looks like I have some catching up to do this thread already... Some of these posts I've already seen are sad! Completely embarrassing.

Congrats Nintendo! We're partying like it's 1998! Return of the king!!!

Bishop89

I have no interest in Zelda, but great scores. Well done nintendo.

Horizon talk in this thread is absurd. Both games are clearly of high quality.

Majukun

Shame these devs are stuck on subpar hardware though. If the only complaints this game is getting is about performance, graphics and fps then imagine what they could do with better machines.

well,sometimes less is more.
better hardware would mean more expectations on the technical level,and this was already one f the biggest nintendo projects ever.
i mean sure,if better hardware only meant having the same assets but better performance it would be perfect,but if the switch was a ps4, people would also ask for graphics like horizon,and that takes time and resources from the really important things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom