• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well my shiny gold box came finally. Will probably leave it sealed as I see no point in opening it.

Rather odd that the back of the box is different.

DJ88 said:
Checking in quickly to update my thoughts about the game.

Currently, I just beat the second boss, and learned the new sword technique from the fairy at the top of death mountain. I'm going through the game at a very slow pace. This is my first time ever playing OoT so I'm not taking it for granted. When you know your about to experience something as good as OoT for the first time, you need to savor every moment of that first time cause you'll never get another one. So far that's what I've been doing, taking my time to do and see everything I can before moving forward, and so far it's been hugely enjoyable. I love everything about this game. It's so rewarding getting stuck and having to figure it out yourself through searching and trying everything. I love the music, the sounds (even the little bleeps and boops when picking up items, selecting things in menus), the story, the art, the characters, even the combat is great. And the 3D just make it all the more incredible, It really makes it feel like Hyrule field, the towns, and the dungeons are real life places residing inside my 3DS.

I mean it took a little a while to click, but at this point I'm just completely enthralled by the game. I'm going to keep taking my sweet time going through the only first time playthrough of this beautiful game I'll ever get, because every boss I beat, item I find, spiritual stone I get brings me closer to the inevitable end to such a good thing.

You haven't even scratched the surface. Believe me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Regulus Tera said:
This is the first time I've seen the word "frustrating" when talking about OoT.

His posts are always entertaining to read in this thread, i admit. You never know what's going to happen next. Can't wait for him to reach the Water Temple.

DJ88

The_Darkest_Red said:
This post made me feel warm and fuzzy, I'm glad you're enjoying this masterpiece! The best part is --- it just keeps getting better.

GregLombardi said:
You haven't even scratched the surface. Believe me.

Definitely. I'm well aware, and that's probably what's got me most excited.

DJ88 said:
This post made me feel warm and fuzzy, I'm glad you're enjoying this masterpiece! The best part is --- it just keeps getting better.

Definitely. I'm well aware, and that's probably what's got me most excited.
Oh I don't need to enjoy it again. Although I am very much enjoying the 3DS title, I have beaten the game 3-5 times already.

I am very envious of you. I've been playing games for 25+ years and when push comes to shove Ocarina of Time ends up at the top of the list of all games I've played over and over. If you think the game is cool at the 2nd dungeon, you're in for a real heart shattering treat.

DJ88

GregLombardi said:
Oh I don't need to enjoy it again. Although I am very much enjoying the 3DS title, I have beaten the game 3-5 times already.
Sorry, that was just a little mistake in trying to post two quotes haha.

MLH

Just started Master quest; died twice in the first dungeon and lost my shield. I'm certain that the Gamecube master quest wasn't this hard. Also the mirroring in fucking with my mind.

Bisnic

MLH said:
Just started Master quest; died twice in the first dungeon and lost my shield. I'm certain that the Gamecube master quest wasn't this hard. Also the mirroring in fucking with my mind.

Pretty sure this Master Quest also makes enemies do double damage, which they weren't doing from the Gamecube one, maybe someone can confirm this.

I hope this means Nintendo finally realize this serie needs a hard mode, and that such a thing will be include in Skyward Sword.

^Master Quest for GCN did not have stronger enemies.
richisawesome said:
I had to. I also ran out of Deku Seeds in the bit with the eye-switch and had to go and buy some of those too. It's a bit of a glaring flaw that there weren't any in the pots around there...

Btw, when you get to the final room, theres a load of bombs in a chest just next to the cracked floor.
Dude, bombs are all over the dungeon. You get them in bushes, enemies drop them, and there is a chest full of them right before you face the boss.

Rich!

KeeSomething said:
Dude, bombs are all over the dungeon. You get them in bushes, enemies drop them, and there is a chest full of them right before you face the boss.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong then, but there were no deku seeds anywhere, that's for sure.

richisawesome said:
Maybe I'm remembering wrong then, but there were no deku seeds anywhere, that's for sure.
Really? Maybe they changed things in the 3DS version. In the orginal, ammo of all sorts are all over the place.

Rich!

KeeSomething said:
Really? Maybe they changed things in the 3DS version. In the orginal, ammo of all sorts are all over the place.

All I can say is that since 1998, I played Ocarina of Time nearly every single year up until 2006 and never ever had a problem with ammo. I did however have an issue last week in Dodongo's Cavern with those fucking seeds in the 3DS version. Literally looked everywhere in the dungeon - nothing. Had to go into Goron City to get some.

Ydahs

I don't want to play this game anymore.

First visit to Kakariko Village and it was at night. Did what the guard told me and went to the graveyard. Played the song, went underground and get eaten by a pack of zombies :'(

I'm assuming I'm not meant to go here at this point in time?

Bisnic

Ydahs said:

First visit to Kakariko Village and it was at night. Did what the guard told me and went to the graveyard. Played the song, went underground and get eaten by a pack of zombies :'(

Just run close to the wall, don't stop, ignore the zombies until you reach the other room.

McNum

Heh, I just saw the hint movies for the Water Temple.
A good two thirds of them ends with Link triumphantly holding up a key. Almost as if Nintendo knows that the main question anyone is going to ask in the Water Temple is "Where the hell do I find ANOTHER key?!" The Iron Boots on the touchscreen was one major upgrade to making the Water Temple fun, though.

Also, boss spoiler,
I don't remember Morpha being that nasty, did it just do three-four hearts of damage in one attack? Ouch! That thing will be murder on Master Quest.

SmithnCo

Ydahs said:

If you want, you can dodge through the redeads by clinging to the side wall of that room or something. You get a decent reward for it. Or you could go back when you have more hearts, the reward is optional.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ydahs said:

Did you go the northernmost grave? You can actually learn a new song there.

Ydahs

Thanks for the info guys.
SmithnCo said:
If you want, you can dodge through the redeads by clinging to the side wall of that room or something. You get a decent reward for it. Or you could go back when you have more hearts, the reward is optional.
Considering I only have four hearts and the mummy thing took half of those away with one attack, I felt it's better just coming back at a later time.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. Even though I only played the first few dungeons previously, that was nearly ten years ago so I'm basically playing it from scratch. The only issue I have so far is starting all the way back in the forest when resuming the game :| Does this change later on? I guess I can overcome this by not turning off the 3DS and just putting it in standby most of the time.

kaskade

The wait for the UPS man with my 3ds is killing me. The game is just staring at me.

Also, did re deads scared me so much as a kid. I remember dreading having to go where they were.

Rich!

In the Royal Crypt, just fucking run through the middle. Yeah, you lose a bit of health from the poisonous water, but you don't get attacked by the re-deads. At all.

Red

kaskade said:
The wait for the UPS man with my 3ds is killing me. The game is just staring at me.

Also, did re deads scared me so much as a kid. I remember dreading having to go where they were.
They only ever scared me the first time I ran into them. They were so easy to avoid they were practically a nonissue.

SmithnCo

You can also bottle a fairy or two and try the redead room, it basically doubles your health for every fairy.

Also, the
Wallmasters
scared me as a kid. The noise that happens when they descend probably helped.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Wallwasters STILL scare the shit out of me in every Zelda game. There isn't an enemy that fills me with more dread than those freaking hands.

Rich!

Divvy said:
The Wallwasters STILL scare the shit out of me in every Zelda game. There isn't an enemy that fills me with more dread than those freaking hands.

Heh, they made them in OOT 3DS even more terrifying. Instead of a blob-like shadow, you've got a fucking massive rotating shadow of a hand falling towards you.

Red

Divvy said:
I don't remember how they were in OoT, but in LTTP they were terrifying not because of how they looked but because they were potentially the most damaging enemies in the game, sending you back to the beginning of a dungeon each time you were hit.

OoT's wallmasters just sort of danced around and then split into smaller hands from what I remember.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, apparently you do... What's the best deal going then?

That Best Buy deal isn't bad. At Target, if you buy OoT you get any other 3DS game half-off. Amazon is matching this deal with "select" games (but their list seems to include all of them anyway). Considering that 3DS games are $40, you come out $5 ahead with the Best Buy deal. However, Best Buy's gift card is for a future purchase. You're spending $80 out of pocket there, and only $60 out of pocket at Target/Amazon (and you won't pay tax on Amazon).

If I wanted a 2nd 3DS game, I would have gone with Amazon. But I don't really want any of the other games, so I just bought OoT by itself. So I didn't get any "deals" but I also only spent $40.

I picked it up last night and got through the Deku Tree. I played just a bit this morning and got through Hyrule Castle and so now most of the story exposition is out of the way.

Rich!

Crunched said:
I don't remember how they were in OoT, but in LTTP they were terrifying not because of how they looked but because they were potentially the most damaging enemies in the game, sending you back to the beginning of a dungeon each time you were hit.

OoT's wallmasters just sort of danced around and then split into smaller hands from what I remember.

No. Those which split are Floormasters. Wallmasters are in OOT too and descend from the ceiling and dump you back at the beginning of the dungeon, just like in LTTP and Zelda 1.

The Forest Temple in OOT has both Floormasters and Wallmasters.

Red

richisawesome said:
No. Those which split are Floormasters. Wallmasters are in OOT too and descend from the ceiling and dump you back at the beginning of the dungeon, just like in LTTP and Zelda 1.

The Forest Temple in OOT has both Floormasters and Wallmasters.
Ah. I don't remember ever getting caught by one, could be why. Probably had learned my lesson by playing LTTP obsessively as a child.

richisawesome said:
In the Royal Crypt, just fucking run through the middle. Yeah, you lose a bit of health from the poisonous water, but you don't get attacked by the re-deads. At all.
That's what I always used to do before, but for some reason, the ReDeads seem a lot less agressive in this version. Heck, I kept standing in front of them because I wanted to see how the face-copulation would look like in 3D, but they just wouldn't do it until after a lot of teasing. :(

Ghost23

I havn't been able to play as much as I would like to because I'm on vacation, but I am adult Link now, which I'm assuming means I'm going to the Forest Dungeon. I'm doing all the sidequests just so the game won't end! It's just that good! I love how the game doesn't tell you exactly where to go. I feel like it lengthens the game just trying out different things to do.

StrikerObi said:
That Best Buy deal isn't bad. At Target, if you buy OoT you get any other 3DS game half-off. Amazon is matching this deal with "select" games (but their list seems to include all of them anyway). Considering that 3DS games are $40, you come out $5 ahead with the Best Buy deal. However, Best Buy's gift card is for a future purchase. You're spending $80 out of pocket there, and only $60 out of pocket at Target/Amazon (and you won't pay tax on Amazon).

If I wanted a 2nd 3DS game, I would have gone with Amazon. But I don't really want any of the other games, so I just bought OoT by itself. So I didn't get any "deals" but I also only spent $40.

I picked it up last night and got through the Deku Tree. I played just a bit this morning and got through Hyrule Castle and so now most of the story exposition is out of the way.

The couple games I wanted all got poor reviews. (Blazblue and Rayman) Is there any other games that are must haves for 3DS?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The couple games I wanted all got poor reviews. (Blazblue and Rayman) Is there any other games that are must haves for 3DS?
I just bought Both zelda and BB at Best buy and blazblue is only 25 at best buy right now for some reason and qualifys for that 25$ GC deal. its not that bad of a game for free.

Ghost23

Also, am I the only one that died in Jabu Jabu because they didn't even have the weapon to kill those tenticles? Usually before you fight someone that unlocks a big treasure, the door behind you locks, so I never thought about killing those dumb bird things in the opposite room...

delta25

Banned
So this is my first time playing OOT and I'm loving the hell out of this game. I just became adult link, what in gods name has Ganon done to Hyrule. :(

Crucio

delta25 said:
So this is my first time playing OOT and I'm loving the hell out of this game. I just became adult link, what in gods name has Ganon done to Hyrule. :(
Wow! A great way to begin! OoT is such an amazing experience. I've replayed this game countless times.
This is in fact the 4th re-release of the title. An amazing feat.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Talladega Knight said:
fuck, playing this makes me really want to bust out majora's mask off the zelda collection, but then a part of me is telling me to hold off for the (hopefully) upcoming remake on the 3ds.
If you really must play MM play anything BUT the version on the collection disk. The N64 emulator on that disk doesn't emulate the expansion pak correctly, so, maybe 2 or 3 times in an entire MM playthrough (100% completion), your game will freeze up.

This is very very bad considering MM's save system. It basically guarantees you WILL lose several hours of progress.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Crucio said:
Wow! A great way to begin! OoT is such an amazing experience. I've replayed this game countless times.
This is in fact the 4th re-release of the title. An amazing feat.
Yeah.

1. OoT + Master Quest (pre-order bonus for Wind Waker. The Master Quest wasn't QUITE the same as the version on the 3DS. I think. Haven't gotten to MQ on the 3DS yet :p. I know the 3DS version is flipped, but I don't know if there's other differences like enemy damage or whatnot).

2. Zelda Collection (released on GC in system bundles in Europe and NA, also available as a bonus item when subscribind to nintendo power or a few other magazines, and rewarded for registering certian hardware and software with nintendo).

3. Wii VC

4. 3DS

Busaiku

BGBW said:
Well my shiny gold box came finally. Will probably leave it sealed as I see no point in opening it.

Rather odd that the back of the box is different.
How do you get these shiny boxes?!

thomaser

Regulus Tera said:
This is the first time I've seen the word "frustrating" when talking about OoT.

Well, my dad used to be a huge gamer back in the day, especially with Zelda games, but basically stopped gaming altogether because he couldn't beat OoT :-( He got to the Forest Temple with lots of help, but that was it. He said that the controls were way too complicated for him. I bet there are tons of people out there who think OoT is difficult as heck.

I also had a grown up customer who bought Wind Waker and couldn't figure out how to get out of Outlook Island... now that was extreme, but people in general do NOT find Zelda games easy at all. (I don't count game-obsessed gaffers as "people in general")

LayLa

first time OOT player
just finished the Ice Cavern, i think i'm beginning to get why this game is so highly regarded now.
its like Twilight Princess but with all the flab cut, its a lean mean puzzlin' machine.
now to play the infamous Water Temple!

Top Bottom