• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

LayLa said:
first time OOT player
just finished the Ice Cavern, i think i'm beginning to get why this game is so highly regarded now.
its like Twilight Princess but with all the flab cut, its a lean mean puzzlin' machine.
now to play the infamous Water Temple!
Yes, it's very much deserved. Granted I feel that later Zeldas in particular MM, WW and TP were unfairly shitted on from Zelda fans. Although after OoT, Zeldas became a lot more formula based but thats also due to Zelda fans demands and complaints.

Seda

Lord_Byron28 said:
Yes, it's very much deserved. Granted I feel that later Zeldas in particular MM, WW and TP were unfairly shitted on from Zelda fans. Although after OoT, Zeldas became a lot more formula based but thats also due to Zelda fans demands and complaints.

Just part of the the Zelda cycle.

EVERY new zelda is criticized to hell and back (most of the time by a vocal minority.) Oftentimes the criticisms are fair but overexaggerated imo.

"OMG YOU HAVE TO SAIL SO MUCH ARRAGH"
"Are the dungeons fun? I like the new artstyle. Some of the bosses are great!. Awesome music to, also very fun to play."
"SAILING SUCKS ARGAHRgAHRG"
"..."

Then a couple years pass and people tend to regard the games in better light for the things they did do right.

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are beneficiaries of this, and it seems to be that Twilight Princess general regard is on the upswing but I'm not sure it will reach as high as those two.

Fully expect people to shit on SS for whatever reason, and to hell and back.

Disclaimer: Again, I said many of the complaints are valid, and it is perfectly fine to dislike the game with legitimate issues, maybe you didn't like the artstyle or music of Wind Waker and that's fine, this isn't about or targeted to those people.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The couple games I wanted all got poor reviews. (Blazblue and Rayman) Is there any other games that are must haves for 3DS?

I've been enjoying DoA and RR a lot. More than PW and SSFIV, anyway. I don't know what the reviews say.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The couple games I wanted all got poor reviews. (Blazblue and Rayman) Is there any other games that are must haves for 3DS?

Dear god don't trust those Rayman reviews. I think all of the reviewers were just jaded by the fact that this is the millionth port of the game.

I cannot stress enough that if this is your first time playing Rayman 2, like it was for me, then it makes the perfect launch game. The 3D is impressive and the game is just super fun.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I've been enjoying DoA and RR a lot. More than PW and SSFIV, anyway. I don't know what the reviews say.
RR is ridge racer but what is DoA? I can't think of it.

IndieJones said:
Dear god don't trust those Rayman reviews. I think all of the reviewers were just jaded by the fact that this is the millionth port of the game.

I cannot stress enough that if this is your first time playing Rayman 2, like it was for me, then it makes the perfect launch game. The 3D is impressive and the game is just super fun.
:lol I own at least 4 ports of it. Such an awesome game. I can't remember what the reviews said were bad just that it scored in like the 50s and 60s. It's worth it then?

Fantastical said:
Wow, really? Free super saver shipping?
It's just standard shipping. I thought I chose free shipping but for I didn't for some reason. I would've just picked this up at a store but I had a $20 credit on Amazon.

Seda said:

EVERY new zelda is criticized to hell and back (most of the time by a vocal minority.) Oftentimes the criticisms are fair but overexaggerated imo.

"Are the dungeons fun? I like the new artstyle. Some of the bosses are great!. Awesome music to, also very fun to play."
"..."

Then a couple years pass and people tend to regard the games in better light for the things they did do right.

Majora's Mask and Wind Waker are beneficiaries of this, and it seems to be that Twilight Princess general regard is on the upswing but I'm not sure it will reach as high as those two.

Disclaimer: Again, I said many of the complaints are valid, and it is perfectly fine to dislike the game with legitimate issues, maybe you didn't like the artstyle or music of Wind Waker and that's fine, this isn't about or targeted to those people.
I agree somewhat. I also agree with some complaints leveled against all of the games but I feel that most have their blinders on when they talk about OoT. It had it's fair share of problems and if a recent Zelda commited those same issues some would rip it to shreds like some have done with WW and TP. OoT was held back by the N64's limitations(like the DS ones were but no one acknowledged that) like the size of the world, original ideas not being able to be implemented, textures, wonky graphics, frame rate, etc., used the same 3 dungeon themes twice(Fire, Forest, Water), the first 3 dungeons were rather quick and simple especially the first one, half the dungeons items became useless outside of their respective dungeon, Some items were redundant such as the Slingshot and Bow & Arrow, there were a few tedious tasks, multiple NPCs shared the same dialogue, reused a similar structure to ALttP, etc.

I still regard OoT as one of my favorite Zeldas and one of the best games ever made. However, I find it rather annoying and hypocritical how some rip the later Zeldas into pieces over such things and then hold OoT as perfection.

Lord_Byron28 said:
I agree somewhat. I also agree with some complaints leveled against all of the games but I feel that most have their blinders on when they talk about OoT. It had it's fair share of problems and if a recent Zelda commited those same issues some would rip it to shreds like some have done with WW and TP. OoT was held back by the N64's limitations(like the DS ones were but no one acknowledged that) like the size of the world, original ideas not being able to be implemented, textures, wonky graphics, frame rate, etc., used the same 3 dungeon themes twice(Fire, Forest, Water), the first 3 dungeons were rather quick and simple especially the first one, half the dungeons items became useless outside of their respective dungeon, Some items were redundant such as the Slingshot and Bow & Arrow, there were a few tedious tasks, multiple NPCs shared the same dialogue, reused a similar structure to ALttP, etc.

I still regard OoT as one of my favorite Zeldas and one of the best games ever made. However, I find it rather annoying and hypocritical how some rip the later Zeldas into pieces over such things and then hold OoT as perfection.

You know... LttP had virtually none of these problems.... Greatest. Game. Ever.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol I own at least 4 ports of it. Such an awesome game. I can't remember what the reviews said were bad just that it scored in like the 50s and 60s. It's worth it then?

Ah okay, never mind. I'd never played the game before so I don't know first hand how it compares to other versions, but I think frame rate was an issue. It definitely performed better with 3D off, and once you take away the 3D, it's just another port.

But man, that game. I've been proselytizing since the 3DS was released.

So, back to Zelda. Even though it's a super easy section, I still really really hate sneaking past the guards at the very beginning of the game. Like, when I think about replaying, I don't go "Damn, but the Water Temple", I go "Shit, sneaking past guards", even if I can do it first try.

Why?

Cranzor

Finished it yesterday. Just as good as the original. I can see myself playing this version annually, it's such a fun game. I'm going to start Master Quest tonight, hopefully it's not too hard.

Seda said:

"..."

It's because people tend to remember what was fun about a game and not what they hated. It's the start of the nostalgia factor. The game quality doesn't change, just people's memories. When those people then go back to play the game again later on, they tend to complain about the same things.

Roto13

Lord_Byron28 said:
OOT is just as formula based. Replace 3D with 2D and Spiritual Stones with those medal things and Sages with Maidens and the future with the Dark World and it's suddenly Link to the Past. Zelda fans are insane, though. :p Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all great games and have been since they were released.

IndieJones said:
So, back to Zelda. Even though it's a super easy section, I still really really hate sneaking past the guards at the very beginning of the game. Like, when I think about replaying, I don't go "Damn, but the Water Temple", I go "Shit, sneaking past guards", even if I can do it first try.

Why?
I felt that way the first few times. I think it's because I had a lot of trouble with them the very first time I ever tried it way back in 1998.

I think I asked before but is anyone else getting slight framerate drops during some areas?

Anyway, just beat the Forest Temple. I didn't I realize I forgot so much of this game. But I do start to remember the parts when I get there. It still feels pretty cool like a memory refresher.

I think when I was fighting the Forest Temple boss, I thought to myself, "This is why this game is considered the greatest game ever made." So ahead of its time and still better than almost all, or arguably, all the games made today!

I didn't really like Wind Waker or Twilight Princess at launch and continue not to. Majora, on the other hand, is my favorite in the series because it wasn't trying to be Ocarina.

Okay I need assistance here, i've reached a level of frustration that has been damn near unmatched in my gaming history, my breathing right now is similar to that of freaking Ganondorf before
the Ganon transformation
THE FISHING! OH GOOD GOD NO! THE HORROR! ARRRRGGGGGH!
That golden scale which I once held with pride in my N64 days seems to be nothing but a pipe dream right now. I absolutely cannot obtain a bloody fish big enough to earn the scale. Every time I ensnare that lunker of a fish that usually sits by the log it will always break off the line, from a mere 10 seconds to upwards of 2-3 minutes.
I have been in the fishing hole for an hour and my sanity is slowly but surely drifting away with that damn fish. Are there any actual techniques for the fishing? it seems to be random as hell. To make things worse the hylian loach is making his debut appearance to mock me from the bottom of the pond.
I beg of you good people to help me in my plight. This is some Elite Beat Agents level of "HEEEEELLLLLLP!"

Nocturnowl said:
Okay I need assistance here, i've reached a level of frustration that has been damn near unmatched in my gaming history, my breathing right now is similar to that of freaking Ganondorf before
the Ganon transformation
That golden scale which I once held with pride in my N64 days seems to be nothing but a pipe dream right now. I absolutely cannot obtain a bloody fish big enough to earn the scale. Every time I ensnare that lunker of a fish that usually sits by the log it will always break off the line, from a mere 10 seconds to upwards of 2-3 minutes.
I have been in the fishing hole for an hour and my sanity is slowly but surely drifting away with that damn fish. Are there any actual techniques for the fishing? it seems to be random as hell. To make things worse the hylian loach is making his debut appearance to mock me from the bottom of the pond.
I beg of you good people to help me in my plight. This is some Elite Beat Agents level of "HEEEEELLLLLLP!"
I forgot how I got the fish last time, but isn't there like a special lure you have to get to land the bigger fish?

I couldn't land a 10lb one to get the heart piece.

GJS

Nocturnowl said:
the Ganon transformation
It's pretty hard without the rumble to tell how much tension is on the line but what I did was just change the direction of the rod depending on which way the fish is trying to swim so it is not pulling away from you, so in theory the tension on the line should be reduced. It still takes a long time to land the big ones though.

Roto13 said:
OOT is just as formula based. Replace 3D with 2D and Spiritual Stones with those medal things and Sages with Maidens and the future with the Dark World and it's suddenly Link to the Past. Zelda fans are insane, though. :p Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are all great games and have been since they were released.

I felt that way the first few times. I think it's because I had a lot of trouble with them the very first time I ever tried it way back in 1998.
I'm aware, I even listed earlier that OoT took ALttP's similar structure. However, OoT established a lot of things with 3D gameplay that did switch some things up. I'd also change my statement to after MM, fans started demanding all of these things that had to be in a Zelda game and it had to do these things a certain way. If it deviated from that there would be a very vocal group complaining and if it did the same another very vocal group would start complaining.

You know... LttP had virtually none of these problems.... Greatest. Game. Ever.
I'm usually the one to complain about remakes and old ports to later systems like HD Classics or New Play Control. I also never comprehend when a new system is anounced there are always a group of people clamoring for Remakes and ports. I personally didn't want an OoT remake/port so soon because I feel the gaming experience is perfect as is(same with TP).

With that said I would love a LttP 3D remake. That and one day in the future a remake (ala REmake/Zero Mission style) for WW with a bit more added(Missing dungeons) and fixed content(Sailing and Triforce Quest).

Nocturnowl said:
"HEEEEELLLLLLP!"
The spot with the big fish:
Go to the back of the pond, where the running stream of water is. In the pond, you'll see a log sticking out of the water, making an arch. Right next to the left side of the arch is the big fish that's 10 or 20 pounds.
Edit: Wow, my reading comprehension sucks today. :(

I had the same problem in OoT 3D, and I just tried to go as close as I could to the fish, i.e. I stood on the other side of the log.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I forgot how I got the fish last time, but isn't there like a special lure you have to get to land the bigger fish?

I couldn't land a 10lb one to get the heart piece.
I've only found the lure like twice in my entire life, and you don't need it to get the bigger fish. I'm not sure what's so good about the lure, though.

GJS said:
It's pretty hard without the rumble to tell how much tension is on the line but what I did was just change the direction of the rod depending on which way the fish is trying to swim so it is not pulling away from you, so in theory the tension on the line should be reduced. It still takes a long time to land the big ones though.
I can't make heads nor tails of this whole fishing business, my first attempt of this approach caused the line to break after roughly 10 seconds. The second was going rather well until the camera zoomed out so I had trouble telling where the fish was going.
Currently i'm fishing from the log on the water but even with the lunker a mere step away it still manages to zoom off across the pond like it's got the fish equivalent of Pegasus boots.

As far as the lure goes it's only obtainable after you get the golden scale anyway I believe, plus said lure is illegal so no prizes either. I imagine it's needed for the hylian loach because that guy plants itself right down the bottom only cropping up briefly once every few minutes.

Wait....I'VE BEEN FISHING IN THE WRONG SPOT!
Just got one weighing 19 pounds by the 3 wooden poles, I just sat in the stream and dragged the poor bastard across the shallows. I was initially aiming for one that sits by the log that you can stand on, when it inevitably breaks free it flees to the middle of the pond to up the annoyance.
The two big fish by the wooden poles sure don't take the bait easily, but victory is mine, the help was much appreciated. Now to never set foot in this place again, the hylian loach will continue to enjoy its freedom.

Enk

makes good threads.
Best thing I like about this version: The gyro camera.

I can't get over how well it works and really hope they incorporate this in future Zelda releases. It's kind of almost VR-ish but without the goggles. AIMing with a bow/hookshot/etc is never frustrating and works much better for me than the WiiMote pointer ever did. One aspect I like most about it is running or walking through the field or dungeon, holding the L button, and getting a more cinematic view (kind of wish it worked in battles as well).

Much more immersive for me than the 3D.

Medalion

Banned
Seda said:

"..."

People already have been shitting on SS since it was first unveiled... only lately as more media has been released and improvements, we notice more positive interest in the game

Reknoc

Going for a 100% for the first time ever, that said I can't wait to get to Master Quest. I don't remember this game being so easy, I mean yeah I was a dumb kid the first time I completed it, but I'm blitzing through it now, even the Shadow Temple was a push over and I barely remembered a thing about that. Spirit Temple will probably be the same.

snesfreak

Banned
Medalion said:
People already have been shitting on SS since it was first unveiled... only lately as more media has been released and improvements, we notice more positive interest in the game
Yep, as soon as it was unveiled it was "Meh, another OoT rehash, fuck you Nintendo." based on a small demo and a trailer that showed very little.
Now it's like "OMG BEST ZELDA EVER!!1!111!!!11!1"

wwm0nkey

Marty Chinn said:
I haven't been keeping up, but is there a shortage? Every time I've been to Target the last few days, none of them have any in stock.
Yes the game is actually selling like crazy, like I said earlier my GameStop is one of the slowest in the district and we got 25 copies...only 3 left now and those are reserved copies.

Holmes

Is anyone else's aiming with the bow a little bit off when the 3D is on? I'm masterful at it in the original game, and when the 3D is off, but when it's on... I'm horrible.

neoism

man I can't believe this was worth 300! :O I thought I wasn't a Zelda fan anymore, was really disappointed with TP,( still love it though) and both DS games.( really didn't like them. :( ):eek: I looove the 3D holy shit.

Chao

PounchEnvy said:
Lol it seems Ruto has clothes on now. :p No more nude adult Princess.

Yeah, I noticed this too when I was playing earlier. She's wearing some kind of fishy bra. Why they felt the need to put that there I will never know.

Thoraxes

It seems like most retailers didn't order too many copies either because they didn't expect it to sell like gangbusters... which is it selling like right now.

I wouldn't expect new shipments till the start of next week. At least I know the main trucks for Target (in Chicago anyways) come on Wednesday, and then smaller shipments come on the weekend. Which OOT could be in either.

didn't see any copies in a best buy/target yesterday, hopefully its stocked asap so more people can buy it.

lol reminds of when it came out in 1998, it was sold out everywhere.

Just got one more temple and then the last one D: then its master quest time.

Cynosure

I'm rushing through not caring about any sidequests, im saving all that for the master quest, but sometimes Navi turns green and I stop to wonder why and if it's part of main game

if i recall correctly, is it because of
the scarecrow

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I forgot, what happens if you kill a Gold Skulltula and can't actually get to the token? I went into Lon Lon Ranch and killed one high up on the side of the house, but obviously couldn't actually retrieve the token this early. When I came back later on, the token was gone.

Pie Lord

DarthWoo said:
I forgot, what happens if you kill a Gold Skulltula and can't actually get to the token? I went into Lon Lon Ranch and killed one high up on the side of the house, but obviously couldn't actually retrieve the token this early. When I came back later on, the token was gone.
The spider will just re-spawn. The one you're talking about only appears at night, so that is probably why there is no token or spider there right now.

Marty Chinn said:
I haven't been keeping up, but is there a shortage? Every time I've been to Target the last few days, none of them have any in stock.

I went into the Target at my mall, and the guy told me they only got like 4 copies (may have been 40 but who knows). Went down to Gamestop at the same mall and they had several on the shelf. I thought I heard something about it would be tough to get this game if you didn't preorder, but that may have been for Japan.

So far, I'm liking the game a lot more than I did when I tried to play it on N64 for the first time last year. That's probably because I'm not following a walkthrough this time and stressing out about finding everything. I'm sure I'll miss a lot of stuff, but I'm having way more fun this way. The screenshots and videos didn't do this game justice. Everything looks really nice and the textures look a lot better than I thought they would. Gyro aiming is much easier to use and goes a lot faster than analog. I beat that slingshot minigame with the floating rupees in like, 2 tries this time. I don't think anything will help me beat the bombchu game though.

richisawesome said:
And that's a bad thing, why?
Cost me $340 just now to do it? :p All you bastards convinced to me to get a 3DS after all... :( Enough of my distractions until then, thanks for the help I got in this thread those who responded!

Top Bottom