• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

rhino4evr said:
So far my biggest annoyance with the update is that they kept all the stupid questions you have to answer yes to.

Example...Will you help me?
Of Course!
No

What's the point of this?

to see zelda's charming look of disappointment

rhino4evr

FuttBuck said:
So I beat
King Dodongo
last night. Man this game is really something special, I can't believe this is the first time I'm running through it.

Also, how far am I from
becoming an adult?
Kinda sucks you know this much..but I guess after 13 years its hard to keep this a secret.

I remember being BLOWN away when this happened in the original game. Even though the title screen kind of gives this away.

milkyjay20 said:
don't you want it to be a surprise?

back then, i didn't even know he became an adult until it happened. that was so awesome.
So what did you think the title screen was about, then?

Also you didn't read the manual, I have to assume. Or look at any promotional artwork.

Nicktendo86 said:
I agree, they have tried to be nostalgic whilst also sprucing it up. I like the end product, some of the new animations are very good as well. Mido's stroppy stamping off when Link goes to meet the Duku Tree was particularly good I thought and actually made me laugh. The biggest improvement for me though is the complete replacement of the pre-rendered shop and house interiors, look so much better.
I agree, the animations and the character models look great in this version. And yeah, house and shop interiors are so much more interesting this time around!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
rhino4evr said:
The lack of quick save really hurts the portability of this title. Unless you just constantly use "sleep" mode...but then you will need a charger with you at all times.

I constantly use sleep mode and I think i have only turned off my 3DS once since i bought the game. I can easily bring it to work to play during my lunch break without a need for the charger. The battery is barely used in sleep mode it seems, it's been in sleep mode for nearly 3 hours now and the battery is still with 4 bars. No need to save and i can easily continue where i left off. :)

Bisnic said:
I constantly use sleep mode and I think i have only turned off my 3DS once since i bought the game. I can easily bring it to work to play during my lunch break without a need for the charger. The battery is barely used in sleep mode it seems, it's been in sleep mode for nearly 3 hours now and the battery is still with 4 bars. No need to save and i can easily continue where i left off. :)
Agreed, sleep mode works fine, I can play for a good couple of hours every day, sleeping in between, and plugging it in at night. No troubles.

NIN90

The angle where the 3D works is so fucking narrow. I can't move my head at all when playing.
I just keep the 3D turned off most of the time when I play OoT.

Roto13 said:
Navi never really annoyed me before but she does now. >_> It's because "Navi" flashes at the bottom of the screen instead of being tucked away with the C buttons like it was. And I can't actually talk to her without touching the screen which means I have to take out the stylus (because I'll be damned if I'm touching my pristine bottom screen with my nasty-ass fingers).

Use your finger nail.

Roto13

Navi never really annoyed me before but she does now. >_> It's because "Navi" flashes at the bottom of the screen instead of being tucked away with the C buttons like it was. And I can't actually talk to her without touching the screen which means I have to take out the stylus (because I'll be damned if I'm touching my pristine bottom screen with my nasty-ass fingers).

Just finished the Water Temple. As someone who has only played a couple of hours of OoT back when it came out, I'm really beginning to see why this is held in such high regard. I'm not rushing or anything, just taking my time and playing a couple of hours a day and having a great time with it so far.

Skilletor

I really wonder at the people who think the saves suck. Sleep mode on portables means I don't really care about saving.

I've only saved when it would be quicker to reset than to walk back to Link's home.

I'm in the stomache of that jabu thing now. Stupid little fish girl. -__-

SmithnCo

Just beat the regular game, I'll have to take it slower and do all the sidequests on the Master Quest run. Had a good time so far.

creid

Bisnic said:
I think you could probably leave it in sleep mode for > 24 hours and it would still have 4 bars. I've had my DSs in sleep mode for days/weeks at a time without issue.

Kad5

Roto13 said:

I'm pretty sure the intent IS for you to use your fingers on the screen though. The stylus is for more precise touch controls like for drawing and stuff.

Doesn't the game ask you if you want to save each time you die anyway? I use that and sleep mode since I'm not really going to be playing anything else.

Chorazin

Roto13 said:

Oh no, you might leave easily removable fingerprints on the bottom screen with your soft fingers! Better break out the hard, pointly stylus and bang it against the screen!

Skilletor

Chorazin said:
Oh no, you might leave easily removable fingerprints on the bottom screen with your soft fingers! Better break out the hard, pointly stylus and bang it against the screen!

I laughed out loud.

Roto13 said:
You don't use your finger in the touchscreen - that just doesn't work well anyways. Tap the screen with your fingernail - it's much more accurate and doesn't smudge the screen.

Futureman

zero margin said:
Doesn't the game ask you if you want to save each time you die anyway? I use that and sleep mode since I'm not really going to be playing anything else.

You die in OOT? hahahaha

seriously though, I think I died twice so far and I'm in Jabu Jabu's belly right now. Died once running up Death Mountain and the meteors got me. Maybe that was the only time, can't recall how I died the other time.

And for the guy who refuses to touch his.... touch screen... touch it. It's a.... touch screen.... it's meant to be.... touched. It's not a rare artifact that can't take fingerprints and dirt from your hand. There are things called "cloths" that can wipe away dirt.

Futureman

Dreamwriter said:
You don't use your finger in the touchscreen - that just doesn't work well anyways. Tap the screen with your fingernail - it's much more accurate and doesn't smudge the screen.

you don't need to be accurate. Navi, the I and II slots are all purposely big enough to just touch with your finger. Not finger tip needed.

Just got it yesterday; played through the first dungeon.

First impressions: I love how they saturated the colors a little bit; the particles look wonderful in 3D; the animation is improved now and amazing; and I'm loving the touch screen interface.

A++++ game so far :)

milkyjay20 said:
don't you want it to be a surprise?

back then, i didn't even know he became an adult until it happened. that was so awesome.

rhino4evr said:
Kinda sucks you know this much..but I guess after 13 years its hard to keep this a secret.

I remember being BLOWN away when this happened in the original game. Even though the title screen kind of gives this away.

I wish it was still a secret to me, but with all the media around this game those shots pretty much spoiled it for me.
I actually had no idea even after all this time that he became an adult until I saw that one promo shot for the game where he was grown up

SmithnCo

AndyMoogle said:
It's possible to die in this game?

I suppose, if you somehow run out of bottles with fairies. Then your death is documented on the death counter, bringing great shame upon your family.

Bisnic

AndyMoogle said:

Look at DTL, he probably died 100 times between the Deku Tree and Forest Temple if he is serious with how much trouble he have.

DJ88

Checking in quickly to update my thoughts about the game.

Currently, I just beat the second boss, and learned the new sword technique from the fairy at the top of death mountain. I'm going through the game at a very slow pace. This is my first time ever playing OoT so I'm not taking it for granted. When you know your about to experience something as good as OoT for the first time, you need to savor every moment of that first time cause you'll never get another one. So far that's what I've been doing, taking my time to do and see everything I can before moving forward, and so far it's been hugely enjoyable. I love everything about this game. It's so rewarding getting stuck and having to figure it out yourself through searching and trying everything. I love the music, the sounds (even the little bleeps and boops when picking up items, selecting things in menus), the story, the art, the characters, even the combat is great. And the 3D just make it all the more incredible, It really makes it feel like Hyrule field, the towns, and the dungeons are real life places residing inside my 3DS.

I mean it took a little a while to click, but at this point I'm just completely enthralled by the game. I'm going to keep taking my sweet time going through the only first time playthrough of this beautiful game I'll ever get, because every boss I beat, item I find, spiritual stone I get brings me closer to the inevitable end to such a good thing.

Docpan

After I find the bomb bag in Dodongo's cavern, where do I find regular bombs to use to open the path to the boss?

Don't tell me I have to leave the dungeon and go buy them in a store...?

Futureman

Docpan said:
After I find the bomb bag in Dodongo's cavern, where do I find regular bombs to use to open the path to the boss?

I thought there was a chest in the room right before the boss w/ 10 bombs? If you can't find any, it takes like 5 minutes to go back up to Goron City and buy some bombs in the shop.

DJ88 said:
Checking in quickly to update my thoughts about the game.

Currently, I just beat the second boss, and learned the new sword technique from the fairy at the top of death mountain. I'm going through the game at a very slow pace. This is my first time ever playing OoT so I'm not taking it for granted. When you know your about to experience something as good as OoT for the first time, you need to savor every moment of that first time cause you'll never get another one. So far that's what I've been doing, taking my time to do and see everything I can before moving forward, and so far it been hugely enjoyable. I love everything about this game. It's so rewarding getting stuck and having to figure it out yourself through searching and trying everything. I love the music, the sounds (even the little bleeps and boops when picking up items, selecting things in menus), the story, the art, the characters, even the combat is great. And the 3D just make it all the more incredible, It really makes it feel like Hyrule field, the towns, and the dungeons are real life places residing inside my 3DS.

I mean it took a little a while to click, but at this point I'm just completely enthralled by the game. I'm going to keep taking my sweet time going through the only first time playthrough of this beautiful game I'll ever get, because every boss I beat, item I find, spiritual stone I get brings me closer to the inevitable end to such a good thing.
This post made me feel warm and fuzzy, I'm glad you're enjoying this masterpiece! The best part is --- it just keeps getting better.

Futureman said:
You die in OOT? hahahaha

seriously though, I think I died twice so far and I'm in Jabu Jabu's belly right now. Died once running up Death Mountain and the meteors got me. Maybe that was the only time, can't recall how I died the other time.

Haven't died yet , I just beat the water temple yesterday and I'm doing a 3 hearts-only run without using a shield .

I used two fairies though , against the fucking stalfos monsters in the forest temple

Didn't think it'd be that easy honestly , I've only done a run like this (using the shield though) once , back in 2004 . Haven't played the game since , so that's why I'm surprised .
The good thing is I only had to hit Dark Link three time to beat him !

SmithnCo

Docpan said:

Pots, chests, anywhere really. They appear regularly like deku seeds and such. You shouldn't have to leave the dungeon.

Docpan

SmithnCo said:
Pots, chests, anywhere really. They appear regularly like deku seeds and such. You shouldn't have to leave the dungeon.
Not working. Any room in particular or is it the luck of the draw? Doesn't do shit.

ToD_

I'm pretty sure the bomb bag came loaded with 20 bombs. Should be more than enough to clear the dungeon. But if you managed to use them up already and if you can't find them in plants/pots run back to the village to buy some.

SmithnCo

Docpan said:
Not working. Any room in particular or is it the luck of the draw? Doesn't do shit.

That dungeon has some shortcuts you can open, so you can try going to the entrance and breaking the rocks near there without much fear of losing a lot of progress. At the least I would try farming shrubs and rocks for a while before resorting to buying bombs.

I've been hopelessly stuck in the Water Temple the entire morning. I think I might just take a small break from this and finish up Link's Awakening before I go back to this.

Rich!

Docpan said:

I had to. I also ran out of Deku Seeds in the bit with the eye-switch and had to go and buy some of those too. It's a bit of a glaring flaw that there weren't any in the pots around there...

Btw, when you get to the final room, theres a load of bombs in a chest just next to the cracked floor.

Bisnic

hamchan said:
Huh, I've had my 3DS run out of juice after a day in sleep mode.

Maybe it's the Wifi like Jaded Alyx said, mine is always turned off unless i need to browse the eshop. Today I took my 3DS off the charger at 7am, its now almost 12pm and the battery is still with 4 bars after i played like 20 mins of (3D) Zelda and sleep mode for the rest of the time.

Crucio

The game looks great! Its fun to revisit this with a new perspective. I love the gyroscopic motion movement for battle and viewing.

One thing is the the 3D effects seems to remove some of the smooth sleek look of the new graphics. I am only able to use the slider at half, I love using the 3D effect but I also love to see the new look of the game undistorted. Its a double edged sword! Am I alone with this?

Rich!

Moundir&Tony>you said:
Haven't died yet , I just beat the water temple yesterday and I'm doing a 3 hearts-only run without using a shield .

I used two fairies though , against the fucking stalfos monsters in the forest temple

Didn't think it'd be that easy honestly , I've only done a run like this (using the shield though) once , back in 2004 . Haven't played the game since , so that's why I'm surprised .
The good thing is I only had to hit Dark Link three time to beat him !

I didn't die once until I got to the final boss before Ganondorf (Twinrova). I didn't die after that.

As I've said before though, I've finished OOT tens of times before in the past - hence how I finished it this time in like, 10 hours. Either way, the Master Quest is absolutely killing me. Repeatedly. Over and over.

marjo

gofreak said:
Without addressing the gyro-aiming, which is a complete cluster-fuck of feature incompatibility with 3D on.

I wish they had included the option to temporarily disable the 3d whenever the motion controls were active.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
padlock said:
I wish they had included the option to temporarily disable the 3d whenever the motion controls were active.
Most of the time I keep the sweet spot while moving. When I lose it, I get it back in half a second. But your idea is nice, it should be an option for future games.

AndyMoogle said:

What do you mean? Get game over? I think Ive had a few frustrating ones or at least ones because Link didnt want to respond, ie, the tree in front of the Forest Temple to get the key, Link failed to jump the branch and kept pummeling to his death, the moblin in the maze kept ramming, and it took some help to get the surefire strategy to defeat him, the bosses in Jabu Jabu, some skeleton warriors in the forest temple, the giant plants that just sprout when I run a corner. Gosh, I can actually recall many more times that its happened, regular enemies give me as much difficulty as a few bosses.

Top Bottom