• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Mega Man said:
yeah I got that, and I go through the forest all the way until I get to a point where all three options lead me to the entrance. so it's a dead end.. am I missing something? The broad in the temple of time tells me to find the forest girl but I'm completely lost as to what I have to do

Go north when you get to three "dead ends".

Muskweeto

AniHawk said:
i'm saying that the events of twilight princess coincide with tww breaking free from the sacred realm and taking over hyrule in pre-tww.
Yeah that's possible, Didn't Miyamoto say at one point that both TWW and TP take place at roughly the same time?
I like to try and stick with the evidence that can be taken directly from the games though.

Roto13

Mega Man said:
yeah I got that, and I go through the forest all the way until I get to a point where all three options lead me to the entrance. so it's a dead end.. am I missing something? The broad in the temple of time tells me to find the forest girl but I'm completely lost as to what I have to do
The entrance to the Forest Meadow is at the north end of the map, so go north when you reach that point. The Forest Meadow is a whole new area so you won't be able to see it before you go in. :p

AniHawk

Muskweeto said:
Yeah that's possible, Didn't Miyamoto say at one point that both TWW and TP take place at roughly the same time?
I like to try and stick with the evidence that can be taken directly from the games though.

i think he said 'a century after ocarina' for both, but it was probably meant as 'centuries' and mistranslated or something.

GeekyDad

Mega Man said:

You need to listen to her song. If it gets quieter, you're going in the wrong direction.

Mistle

Just became an adult. Man, Castle Town looks fantastic! It looked great as a child, so it's good to see they put equal effort an as adult.

Also, the 3rd dungeon seemed a lot shorter & easier than I remembered. Hmm. I decided to stop getting heart containers after bosses, and only get heart pieces. Might up the difficulty a little.

Roto13 said:
The song only works the first time.

You're talking about using Saria's Song to get through Lost Woods, right? Is that true then? I could've sworn I used it to get to the Forest Temple years ago, but still, that would explain why I couldn't hear anything different while I was doing it this time.

Also, I know that the Shard of Agony tells me when something secret is near, but just what do I have to do when I see the icon?

Luigi87

SolarKnight said:
You're talking about using Saria's Song to get through Lost Woods, right? Is that true then? I could've sworn I used it to get to the Forest Temple years ago, but still, that would explain why I couldn't hear anything different while I was doing it this time.

Also, I know that the Shard of Agony tells me when something secret is near, but just what do I have to do when I see the icon?

Do something like drop a bomb (most likely) or play The Song of Storms.

elektrixx

Banned
Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
It's the game man for sure and happens on every black background. When you get ghosting try closing one eye and looking at the image then look at it with your other eye. You'll be able to see the error in image layering and why it ghosts. It doesn't really happen often enough to be a problem though.
Thanks. It's good to know I haven't been using a DOA 3DS this whole time.

mdtauk

AniHawk said:
most likely. there's no telling when twilight princess takes place with respect to the other timeline, but my theory is both ganondorfs try taking over hyrule around the same time. tww ganondorf is successful, and is only defeated thanks to divine intervention. tp ganondorf is defeated by zelda, midna, and link.

*pushes glasses up*

Actually it is quite easy to tell where Twilight Princess and Wind Waker takes place.

At the end of Ocarina of Time,
Adult Link disappears
and
Ganondorf is sealed away.

Then we see
Child Link with the Triforce of Courage
and
Child Zelda
meet before the "The End" appears.

This is where the two timelines go their own way...

The Adult Timeline is followed by The Wind Waker, because we see the Sages in their awakened forms, as well as a statue of Adult Link in Hyrule Castle. We also know that
Ganondorf has escaped from his seal
and as there was no Hero to defeat him, the Gods took action to protect the people.

Meanwhile the Child Timeline is followed by Majora's Mask and then Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess we know that Link
has the Triforce of Courage
and it allows Link to avoid becoming a spirit within the Twilight, instead becoming a wolf. Later we discover that the Sages
who appear as ghostly figures (presumably because they are not awakened)
had captured
Ganondorf knowing he would be a threat.
It turns out he had the [/spoiler]Triforce of Power[/spoiler] and the Sages seemed confused as to how, and after one of the Sages was
killed by Ganondorf
they decide to contain him within the Mirror.

Things to note here...

In Ocarina of Time,
Ganondorf was sealed away
in the Adult Timeline but not the Child one.
In Wind Waker it is mentioned that
Ganondorf had escaped from that seal
but in Twilight Princess they say
Ganondorf was seized

In Wind Waker Link does not have the
Triforce of Courage
but in the ending of Ocarina of Time and in Twilight Princess he does. (But funnily enough, not in Majora's Mask)

EDIT: Also in Wind Waker the Master Sword is in Hyrule Castle with no sign of the Temple of Time. As for Twilight Princess
The Master Sword is in the ruins of the Temple of Time, just where Link put it at the end of Ocarina of Time

mdtauk

AniHawk said:
totally not what i was talking about.
I added a little bit at the bottom about the Temple of Time, but was just clarifying for the others engaging in the timeline discussion.

EDIT: You need to remember that in Wind Waker
Ganondorf had been sealed away for a long enough time
that the language had become old that only those remaining understand it, and the wreckage of the Town Market, and the Temple of Time had long gone from around Hyrule Castle

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
mdtauk said:
I added a little bit at the bottom about the Temple of Time, but was just clarifying for the others engaging in the timeline discussion.
He means the number of years after OoT and whether TP and TWW take place at the same time but in different timelines.

OMG, I just found this in a drawer.

611ND1T9JRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best strategy guide ever. Makes me want to do another run with it. Goddamn business scrubs.

AniHawk

mdtauk said:
EDIT: You need to remember that in Wind Waker
Ganondorf had been sealed away for a long enough time
that the language had become old that only those remaining understand it, and the wreckage of the Town Market, and the Temple of Time had long gone from around Hyrule Castle

and what i'm saying is that tp = ganondorf breaking free in pre-tww, not tp = tww

zychi

Banned
The Xtortionist said:

Best strategy guide ever. Makes me want to do another run with it. Goddamn business scrubs.
I literally used this for my run. Fuck the "guy"(he uses the first person a ton) who wrote this. Whenever he got lazy or "ran out of room" he would put shit a few pages later and it didn't say this in the guide until later on, so I'd have to go back to get shit. It was annoying.

kiryogi

Banned
The Xtortionist said:

Haha. I dug this out to find the Big Poes. I wished I got the Majora's Mask version too. But the EBgames cover for it was shiny. D:

Mistle

Naked Snake said:
Man, riding a horse without the rumble pack is not the same :(
I didn't even think of that... Aw man. I've always loved rumble packs. I wonder if they'll ever make it into handhelds. Probably not likely, with the screen shaking and all.

watershed

Banned
Mistle said:
I didn't even think of that... Aw man. I've always loved rumble packs. I wonder if they'll ever make it into handhelds. Probably not likely, with the screen shaking and all.

it would be cool in the vita but not the 3ds cuz it would make the 3d unbearable. But more than anything I think its a battery drain and a waste of space inside the hardware, I imagine that's why it hasn't happened yet. Though I do think it could work for the vita, I'd love some well executed screen shaking!

A rumble feature on a handheld does not have to be so forceful as to cause shaking. It can be a subtle vibration felt in your hands and it would be effective. The DS and DS Lite had a rumble pack that goes into the GBA cart slot and I don't recall it causing the system to shake in my hands. But you could feel it while playing and it was pretty effective. It wouldn't break the 3D.

Neo Child

Banned
Mistle said:
Just became an adult. Man, Castle Town looks fantastic! It looked great as a child, so it's good to see they put equal effort an as adult.

Also, the 3rd dungeon seemed a lot shorter & easier than I remembered. Hmm. I decided to stop getting heart containers after bosses, and only get heart pieces. Might up the difficulty a little.

Yeah i totally tanned this dungeon first time... it's really easy as long as you don't dick around with the weird holes in the body that you fall through.

Ragus

Banned
Hell, I am not a big fan of all those vinyl decals, but when I saw this shit, I couldn't resist and had to buy it.

Maybe a little offtopic, but I just had to :D.

Muskweeto

Typographenia said:
That was amazing, hahahaha! The menu part was easily the best of the whole video.
Yeah, I also liked the part near the end with the great fairy screaming and Link screaming then they show the game over screen.

Muskweeto said:
Bah! I missed it, sorry.

Well, now it's there for other people who may have missed it.
Like me! :lol.

Anyways, finally beat this over the weekend, first time ever playing it. Activity Log has me at 32:11, almost five times more than my next longest played title. Damn, if I could go back to 1998, I'd buy this without hesitation. One of the greatest games ever made.

Ragus said:
Hell, I am not a big fan of all those vinyl decals, but when I saw this shit, I couldn't resist and had to buy it.

Maybe a little offtopic, but I just had to :D.
Wow, that's awesome. I want one! Link to where these decals can be purchased?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just did the target minigame on horseback behind the Gerudo Fortress and the gyro camera really makes this easy. I remember back on the N64/Gamecube version how it took me multiple tries to get 1500 points for the 50 arrows upgrade. Took me 2 attempts with the 3DS lol.

By the way, is there something for 2000 points too? That might be a bit tougher to do.

Roto13

Bisnic said:
I just did the target minigame on horseback behind the Gerudo Fortress and the gyro camera really makes this easy. I remember back on the N64/Gamecube version how it took me multiple tries to get 1500 points for the 50 arrows upgrade. Took me 2 attempts with the 3DS lol.

By the way, is there something for 2000 points too? That might be a bit tougher to do.
The black horse.

Actually nothing, but there was a rumour going around way back in the ancient late 90s to that effect. :p

Bisnic said:

I actually stuck with the Circle Pad controls for this since I'm too jittery about it.

Jackano

Finished it. I'm getting old, I'm not as quick as I used to :adama:
Finished Master Quest, I mean. MQ really make me laught sometime. There are vicious traps and puzzles, really vicious. I didn't remembered much things from my previous playthrought on Gamecube.

You have this feeling of accomplishment when you play regular Zelda games, with MQ, it's beyond that. It's like "those guys really went far with the puzzles, I can't believe I figured it out but I did - I'm probably 'worst' than the developers!". Now you know you're a veterant Zelda gamer.

Now I really want Majora's Master Quest!

Roto13

Something I never noticed, from the mindblowing facts thread:

Ragnamith said:
In Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask, when you press the Z button without targeting something, your camera gets set behind Link, right?
The sound this action makes is different depending on if you're in a temple or not.
Inside a temple it's kinda like a creepy whoosh and outside a temple it's more like a cheery wheep noise. Pretty hard to describe.

This is a speedrun of Ocarina of Time on youtube (apparently walking backwards is the fastest way of walking.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ukJe4UAxg
Check 0:52:00 and 1:00:28 to hear the difference.

Also, first post ever.
I've been wanting to post this since forever.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
wasn't there once planned addons for OoT through N64DD? Ura Zelda something?
That's Master Quest.

mdtauk said:
Actually it is quite easy to tell where Twilight Princess and Wind Waker takes place.

At the end of Ocarina of Time,
Adult Link disappears
and
Ganondorf is sealed away.

Then we see
Child Link with the Triforce of Courage
and
Child Zelda
meet before the "The End" appears.

This is where the two timelines go their own way...

The Adult Timeline is followed by The Wind Waker, because we see the Sages in their awakened forms, as well as a statue of Adult Link in Hyrule Castle. We also know that
Ganondorf has escaped from his seal
and as there was no Hero to defeat him, the Gods took action to protect the people.

Meanwhile the Child Timeline is followed by Majora's Mask and then Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess we know that Link
has the Triforce of Courage
and it allows Link to avoid becoming a spirit within the Twilight, instead becoming a wolf. Later we discover that the Sages
who appear as ghostly figures (presumably because they are not awakened)
had captured
Ganondorf knowing he would be a threat.
It turns out he had the [/spoiler]Triforce of Power[/spoiler] and the Sages seemed confused as to how, and after one of the Sages was
killed by Ganondorf
they decide to contain him within the Mirror.

Things to note here...

In Ocarina of Time,
Ganondorf was sealed away
in the Adult Timeline but not the Child one.
In Wind Waker it is mentioned that
Ganondorf had escaped from that seal
but in Twilight Princess they say
Ganondorf was seized

In Wind Waker Link does not have the
Triforce of Courage
but in the ending of Ocarina of Time and in Twilight Princess he does. (But funnily enough, not in Majora's Mask)

EDIT: Also in Wind Waker the Master Sword is in Hyrule Castle with no sign of the Temple of Time. As for Twilight Princess
The Master Sword is in the ruins of the Temple of Time, just where Link put it at the end of Ocarina of Time

Gotta open a can of worms without specific proof, but I remember reading Nintendo saying that
Link going and seeing Zelda at the end of OOT is specifically him going to warn her not to give anyone the Ocarina of Time or open the Door of Time as it would let Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm to get the Triforce and lead to the events of Adult-era OOT.

AniHawk

welp, like a moron, i ran into the same idiotic death thing i did back when i was 13 inside death mountain.

(ran to the summit, went inside, tried jumping across where the giant boulder blocks your path. what kept me going was the fact that i managed to make the jump and grab the ledge).

Top Bottom