• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Kard8p3 said:
Apparently that whole boss fight was carried over from a worst case scenario version of the game that would've taken place only in Ganon's castle (similar to Mario 64.)
Wow, I never knew that. As someone suffering from a bit of Zelda Fatigue from the past few games I'd actually really be interested to see how something like that would shake the formula up.

I bought a 3ds for this game today. Played through the first couple of dungeons. At first I was really concerned because the 3d was really straining my eyes no matter what setting I had, but after a dungeon or so my eyes adjusted. Anyone else have this happen to them?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
MrGame&Watch said:
I bought a 3ds for this game today. Played through the first couple of dungeons. At first I was really concerned because the 3d was really straining my eyes no matter what setting I had, but after a dungeon or so my eyes adjusted. Anyone else have this happen to them?
Takes time to get adjusted to 3D. It's like wearing a pair of glasses.

demolitio

KeeSomething said:
Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple and Metroid Prime 2's Torvus Bogs are the most atmospheric areas in gaming to me.

Whenever I walk into the Forest Temple, I get this odd feeling. It's calming and peaceful, but mysterious and unnerving at the same time. It's the best Zelda dungeon in the series. I mean it to.
Same here. It's very soothing in a way but also eerie and has you on the edge of your seat. Best atmosphere of any game by far to the point where it's one of the few levels that I can remember clearly even after so many years.

Kevtones

It really makes me feel older playing this on a handheld. 13 years ago is exactly half my life.

Also, I'm probably pre-ordering Starfox now b/c of this. Game looks really, really nice.

Has Nintendo said NO to DLC? I mean... What if we were allowed to beat the running man? Or play the CHICKEN dungeon? Or heavily integrated the lens of truth to uncover 100 new skulltulas/weapons?

Those a rudimentary ideas but MAN I would flip.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
MrGame&Watch said:

I find that playing on the 3DS really just takes a little "breaking in." When I first got it I occasionally had to struggle to "lock on" with my vision and see it, because we are really used to focusing on the flat point of the screen. But the thing that has helped me with this is kind of getting used to relaxing my eyes and then focusing on something Beyond the screen to get my lock, just how you look at things in real life. GOTTA LOOK ON THROUGH, into that magic portal.

Kevtones

MrGame&Watch said:

I went at launch and impulse bought a 3DS. Before buying the system, I tried Pilotwings for the first time and hated the 3D effect. It made me really dizzy up.

3 hours later I was fine and dandy and haven't looked back since.

I Push Fat Kids said:
It really makes me feel older playing this on a handheld. 13 years ago is exactly half my life.

Also, I'm probably pre-ordering Starfox now b/c of this. Game looks really, really nice.

Has Nintendo said NO to DLC? I mean... What if we were allowed to beat the running man? Or play the CHICKEN dungeon? Or heavily integrated the lens of truth to uncover 100 new skulltulas/weapons?

Those a rudimentary ideas but MAN I would flip.
They haven't said much about anything in the way of DLC as far as the 3DS goes. All we know is that it's possible. Actually, there already was a game that had DLC.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
shadyspace said:
They haven't said much about anything in the way of DLC as far as the 3DS goes. All we know is that it's possible. Actually, there already was a game that had DLC.

I receive DLC on Dead or Alive every day, and Pokedex users are also getting stuff unlocked via SpotPass. It is definitely possible and being done, though whether that will eventually mean through the store/for cost is up for debate.

Either way, probably not gonna happen for OoT.

lobdale said:
I find that playing on the 3DS really just takes a little "breaking in." When I first got it I occasionally had to struggle to "lock on" with my vision and see it, because we are really used to focusing on the flat point of the screen. But the thing that has helped me with this is kind of getting used to relaxing my eyes and then focusing on something Beyond the screen to get my lock, just how you look at things in real life. GOTTA LOOK ON THROUGH, into that magic portal.
Haha, weird, I just had this exact revelation this evening :)

I just beat the first boss. Even the battles are fast...

Those Deku Babas, the ones that attack you on the first floor of the first dungeon? In the old game, if you hit them once, they're guaranteed to attack you, but in OoT 3D, you attack so quickly that you can easily get two hits in without it attacking you.

It's sort of refreshing that it's so fast, but at the same time, it feels a lot easier. Can't wait until Master Quest now!

Luigi87

I've noticed that when I'm playing Ocarina of Time 3D, when I interrupt to the Home menu even though my wireless is on it will not connect to the Internet.

Insaniac

played till I drained my batteries, but I had my brightness to max to enjoy all the colors and graphics

TheExodu5 said:
Whoa. I thought the gyroscoping aiming would be terrible. I was pleasantly surprised. It's ridiculously fast and accurate.

Agreed, it feels great and while it may not be completely practical during an intense battle it really feels more immersive when looking around

Symphonic

Luigi87 said:
I've noticed that when I'm playing Ocarina of Time 3D, when I interrupt to the Home menu even though my wireless is on it will not connect to the Internet.

I actually noticed this too. Not sure why that happens.

olimpia84

RomanticHeroX said:
The boss area for the Forest Temple always felt kinda out of place to me, but that just made it seem more bizarre. I also get massively lost there despite having gone through it so many times.

It's my favorite boss of the game. I remember being amazed when I first got to that point

Teknoman

Star Fox is going to be amazing, and should've had online MP...but RE Mercs comes this month as well, so no problems as far as a new online game goes.

Branson

So uh, first Zelda game and all, and am kinda blown away. Everything is just so polished, from the 3D to the way you slash with your sword. Love exploring a bit too. I'm inside the
deku tree
currently, yea not very far but I'm loving it. Btw do you guys use your thumbs for the touchscreen or do you have the stylus at the ready. I've been using my thumbs a lot for that.

Symphonic

Branson said:
So uh, first Zelda game and all, and am kinda blown away. Everything is just so polished, from the 3D to the way you slash with your sword. Love exploring a bit too. I'm inside the
deku tree
currently, yea not very far but I'm loving it. Btw do you guys use your thumbs for the touchscreen or do you have the stylus at the ready. I've been using my thumbs a lot for that.

Oh man, I wish I was you.

ciD_Vain

Branson said:
deku tree
This is your first Zelda game ever??? That's fuckin awesome man. This was my first Zelda when it first came out, and was so immersed in the whole experience. Now you know why so many people regard the Legend of Zelda franchise as one of the best. You know what to do next... hunt down the other Zelda games.

cacophony

I'm surprised this is so many people's first time. I'm ashamed to admit I've never actually beat OoT though, so I really need to get this.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Branson said:
deku tree
I wish I could have the feeling of playing OoT for the first time again :(

BTW does the 3ds version fix the glitches in the game before, like Infinite sword glitch and glitches to get past certain closed off areas?

blamite

Wait, fuck, I have to register by tomorrow night for the soundtrack? Damn, guess I'm going to have to run to Gamestop tomorrow to pick up the game before I get my 3DS Thursday. I thought this was supposed to run until the end of the month? Argh.

Branson said:
deku tree

Ive been using my thumbs. I cant imagine having to use the stylus, as I imagine later on the inventory will just get more full. Fights so far have been intense too that I just dont have time to fiddle with the stylus and then quickly pressing a button to attack or dodge, etc. Honestly, it must have been extremely difficult to manage or even near impossible on a console to manage inventory and select stuff.

Luigi87

Corran Horn said:
I wish I could have the feeling of playing OoT for the first time again :(

BTW does the 3ds version fix the glitches in the game before, like Infinite sword glitch and glitches to get past certain closed off areas?

I'm not sure, but I will say the glitch of jumping off the castle town gate chain and falling through the ground is still in it. I mean, I understand how it is, but I'm surprised they didn't add in a collision box to stop it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Branson said:
deku tree
Oh man, you have a long and wonderful journey ahead of you. All those unplayed Zelda games... I'd kill for that.

Picked this up this morning, and of course I love it. It is freaking Ocarina of Time. I am REALLY glad I went in and preordered a few days ago because Gamestop was actually 2 short on preorders and I saw no copies when I went to Wal-Mart later in the day.

Teknoman

Branson said:
deku tree

Thumbs. I used to use the stylus on my DSi since it was easy to reach...but I hardly use it now...since they had the bright idea to put the stylus holder in the back.

Sanic

Branson said:
deku tree

I'm one of those people who didn't want to touch the screen with my fingers, but OOT has broken the habit. It's simply too unwieldy to use a stylus.

Teknoman

Dedication Through Light said:
Ive been using my thumbs. I cant imagine having to use the stylus, as I imagine later on the inventory will just get more full. Fights so far have been intense too that I just dont have time to fiddle with the stylus and then quickly pressing a button to attack or dodge, etc. Honestly, it must have been extremely difficult to manage or even near impossible on a console to manage inventory and select stuff.

Not really, you just go into the item menu (it pauses) and switch (console version).

Pandoracell said:
I'm one of those people who didn't want to touch the screen with my fingers, but OOT has broken the habit. It's simply too unwieldy to use a stylus.

Exactly.

Ashodin

MY EYES. THEY BURN WITH THE AWESOMENESS OF ZELDA.

Jesus Christ I can't wait for a true Zelda handheld game. Wind Waker gfx need not apply.

Maxrpg said:
MY EYES. THEY BURN WITH THE AWESOMENESS OF ZELDA.

Jesus Christ I can't wait for a true Zelda handheld game. Wind Waker gfx need not apply.

I think that graphic style would look INSANE in 3D.. But I'll take whatever I can get.

Branson

Yea, I mean, the games just kind of passed me by because of my gaming tastes at the time. I never owned an N64, was into different games when I had an NES and SNES. Now that I've grown and my tastes have widened I figured this would have been the perfect time to jump in finally owning a Nintendo platform after not having a Wii or N64. Also coming back to the Gyro controls they are pretty great and immersive, definitely one of the best implementations I have felt in a while.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Protip on using the touch screen for simply tapping stuff: just tap with a finger nail. You don't have to push hard and worry about scratching it. It's very sensitive.

I'm right handed and when I have to tap something, I actually just let go of the right side of the 3DS for a moment and tap a selection with my fingers curled and pinkie finger extended. The pinkie nail stylus.

It may sound dumb to some, but I figured this out years ago with the DS and hardly ever end up pulling out the stylus for games that just want menu or object selection on the touch screen.

ombz

Dedication Through Light said:
Yeah thats been annoying me all day. I hope Ninty fixes this.
It must be only certain units, I was able to look up a website while I had OoT paused without any problems

Socreges

Banned
Does anyone anticipate there being any possible way to unlock Master Quest without having to beat the game? I'd rather just jump straight into MQ.

I'm kind of jealous of the people playing this for the first time. This was my first Zelda game back when it was released and it blew my 10 year old mind. I can't wait for my copy to arrive though, haven't played the game since right before Wind Waker was released.

Kard8p3

Socreges said:
Does anyone anticipate there being any possible way to unlock Master Quest without having to beat the game? I'd rather just jump straight into MQ.

No you have to beat the game first.

Kevtones

shadyspace said:

DOA has DLC every single day.
Samurai Warriors has had DLC (levels, weapons, challenges) and will have DLC for 21 straight weeks.

Great support tbh.

Anth0ny

I'm surprised at some of the simple stuff that stayed the same. Things like backwalking being super fast (reaching Hyrule Castle before nightfall still works!) and being able to backflip over the rotating spikes thing in the deku tree.

oot <3

Kevtones

Socreges said:

A little disappointed by this. I've never done more than 1-2 dungeons in MQ.

Top Bottom