• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

wwm0nkey

Just got done with the Forest Temple...god damn this game is still one of the best things Ive played. Holds up incredibly well and it just looks amazing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. You know how you can release bugs and then quickly grab one up to retain bugs in the original version? I noticed that while you can do that when you're not at a mound of dirt, you can longer do that when you're at a mound of dirt. Kinda sucks, but oh well. Or am I just not quick enough?

Also, apparently I suck at fishing in this version, lol. I played OoT N64 version last December and I seemed fine with it then. I guess it's because I need to have a harder grip on the circle pad + I still need to get used to the new controls. My finger still keeps reaching for the Z-trigger. :lol

Otherwise, it's going pretty well. Again, I love the detail, and I like to put on the 3D during the cinematics. It's a nice way to relive the experience again. At Jabu-Jabu now.

The Xtortionist said:
I got my 3DS today and the circle pad feels a little stiff. Will it eventually break in and loosen up?

it breaks in. just put 5 hours into the game, wow the 3d is amazing, like floating inchs off the screen amazing!

The Xtortionist said:
I got my 3DS today and the circle pad feels a little stiff. Will it eventually break in and loosen up?

Yep, mine was terrible when I bought my 3DS last week, it loosened up really nicely after a few hours playing and now it's as smooth as silk. I was panicking too when I first tried it, thought I had got a bad one.

TheExodu5

Banned
The 3D is messed up sometimes. After beating the first boss, the heart piece you get is completely messed up. On the left eye, the heart piece is completely at the right side of the screen, and on the right eye, it's completely at the left side of the screen. There's no way I can cross my eyes that much.

Socreges

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
No you have to beat the game first.
I understand that. I'm more asking if there's any precedent to believe that Nintendo might release a cheat code or something to allow people to unlock MQ without having to beat the game.

Teknoman

TheExodu5 said:
The 3D is messed up sometimes. After beating the first boss, the heart piece you get is completely messed up. On the left eye, the heart piece is completely at the right side of the screen, and on the right eye, it's completely at the left side of the screen. There's no way I can cross my eyes that much.

Fourth confirmation for me that my eyes arent busted/messed up 3DS/game.

samoset

The gyroscope really makes the shooting mini-games really fun in this version. I remember when I used to play this they were a chore to the point where I'd skip playing them on many of my play-throughs. But with the gyroscope I'll continue playing even after winning the big item just for the sake of playing with those controls. My only gripes are that after 2-3 goes in a row the motion will start to get uncalibrated forcing me to play at an angle; with my only recourse being to back out of the mini-game and then start again.

Branson

Why is playing the Ocarina for the first time kind of blowing my mind? Ugh. So good. I know what the Triforce symbol means now. So that's a plus.

Symphonic

TheExodu5 said:

This part was fine for me, but my friend had the same problem. I have seen random moments while I'm playing where the 3D bugs out for a moment, but it never lasts long.

After registering was the soundtrack offer suppose to pop up? I just registered on my cell phone and nothing came up after registering. I knew I should have waited for my internet to get fixed tomorrow

Branson

Why yes Navi, I might take a break, now that you mention it. Well, finally busted that Zelda cherry and loving it. At first it was kinda slow but once I hit the first dungeon it was great. After I finish OoT I think I'll get Links Awakenkng and try that out.

The gyroscope aiming reminds me exactly of one of the Wii U demo games I played at E3 where you move the controller around to look at different areas.

RomanticHeroX said:
I can't remember a single one of the songs with the new ocarina layout. There should be a legacy mode for people used to C-buttons.
For me, I know them by ear so in certain parts where they give you the staff it fucks me up because for the first few button presses I'm trying to figure out which buttons do which notes before I actually play the song.

Also, the analog nub control is shit when it comes to doing the bombchu bowling, holy fuck.

DJ88

Teknoman said:
Wow either my eyes went totally busted, or something is wrong with my copy of the game :p Just grabbed the first heart after beating the first boss, and after Link picked it up, the game went into a complete double display while holding the heart up.

Actually this just happened to me when I got the bottle of milk from Talon and it's definitely not your eyes. It's exactly what I was describing in an earlier post. The game sometimes randomly switches to a very 2D image. It doesn't happen often, mostly when the camera is in an akward position or certain spots, as long as your moving it never happens.

But what you saw was the first time I saw it so obvious. When Link was holding up the milk bottle at first it was perfect 3D image, then suddenly it's like each stereoscopic image started to shift and would go back and forth from 2D to 3D. It's very weird and I hope I didn't get a screwey copy of the game.

loblaw said:
You didn't. It's been happening for everyone. Just blips in the 3D, I have a feeling we'll be seeing this with most games.

That's a relief. I'm glad I'm not the only the one that's noticed this. I was starting to get worried.

Symphonic

DJ88 said:
Actually this just happened to me when I got the bottle of milk from Talon and it's definitely not your eyes. It's exactly what I was describing in an earlier post. The game sometimes randomly switches to a very 2D image. It doesn't happen often, mostly when the camera is in an akward position or certain spots, as long as your moving it never happens.

But what you saw was the first time I saw it so obvious. When Link was holding up the milk bottle at first it was perfect 3D image, then suddenly it's like each stereoscopic image started to shift and would go back and forth from 2D to 3D. It's very weird and I hope I didn't get a screwey copy of the game.

You didn't. It's been happening for everyone. Just blips in the 3D, I have a feeling we'll be seeing this with most games.

loosus

Banned
I just went into first-person view to look at the new flowers on Hyrule Field close-up, and it looks fucked-up to me in 3D. Looks fine in 2D. They're just the little scenery flowers on the field that Link can't interact with.

Speaking of that, it kinda annoys me that Nintendo added these little touches but that they are not at all interactive. I figured Link would at least push the little plants to the side, as happened in Wind Waker.

iPewPew

Neo Member
Yeah, pretty sure the two heart containers aren't meant to be THIS far apart...

photo.jpg

(Excuse the crappy quality, taken with my iPhone to send to Loblaw when I got it.)

Kevin

I am enjoying my copy of the game so far (course I beat it back in 98). I hope this game sells well so Nintendo also remakes Majora's Mask for the 3DS as well. :)

Thoraxes

Man, I was one of those "Gyroscope controls are gimmicky" people, but hell, it's implemented so well, and besides using it to aim for stuff, when you free look with the camera, it's completely amazing and so much faster to use to look around. Really really wonderful job on those. I have to turn off the 3D for it, but that's the beauty of the system: I have choice.

Also the 3D is wonderful in this game, and this is the first time I feel really sold on the 3D as an absolute gameplay enhancer. I'm really looking forward to what other developers are going to bring to the system now, that's for sure.

Also Nintendo/Grezzo, you made me a believer in gyroscope controls. I can even use them accurately while laying down in my bed.

Kard8p3

Branson said:
Why yes Navi, I might take a break, now that you mention it. Well, finally busted that Zelda cherry and loving it. At first it was kinda slow but once I hit the first dungeon it was great. After I finish OoT I think I'll get Links Awakenkng and try that out.

You do realize that after playing OoT you'll need to play Majora's Mask and Wind Waker correct? Links Awakening is also a great game so definitely try that.

Kevtones

i've played gohma 7-8 times and i exclusively used deku nuts to stun him when he drops... it never occurred to me until tonight to use my slingshot and shoot him while he was on the ceiling... feel dumb

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm quite confident we'll see a major boost in 3DS sales in June NPD report. Can't wait to see Media Create next week.

snesfreak

Banned
Kevin said:
I am enjoying my copy of the game so far (course I beat it back in 98). I hope this game sells well so Nintendo also remakes Majora's Mask for the 3DS as well. :)
Well I did my part, bought it from K-Mart today and my Amazon copy is coming tomorrow :lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Kevin said:

Yes. Actually playing the game makes me want a Majora's Mask remake even more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Branson said:
So glad you're enjoying it. Reading first timers' impressions in this thread are a major treat. Just wait until you get deeper into the game. :D

In addition to Link's Awakening, you should try out A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker. Just sayin'. I hope you try out more of the series and enjoy what it has to offer. :)

BY2K said:
Yes. Actually playing the game makes me want a Majora's Mask remake even more.
Me too. I'd love to see the graphical enhancements they could make to that game (even if it was already detailed and felt "big" on the N64). I'd also love to take Majora's Mask everywhere I go, just because I love it so much.

iPewPew

Neo Member
Kevin said:

It seems like the game is selling fairly well, at least from anecdotal experience. Went to my local GameStop first thing this morning right when they opened and the line was already quite long to get a copy of the game. The guy at the register also said they only had 3 copies of the game to sell that weren't already reserved. So based on that, I should hope this means the game is selling really well.

kunonabi

I went to one Target and they were sold out. The guy said the store only got one. Whether that was 1 copy or one box I don't know. Could Nintendo be sending out smaller shipments like they're doing in Japan. I mean I expected some demand and I was pleasantly surprised at the insane amounts of 3DS units at A-kon but still.

Deku

Banned
I Push Fat Kids said:
i've played gohma 7-8 times and i exclusively used deku nuts to stun him when he drops... it never occurred to me until tonight to use my slingshot and shoot him while he was on the ceiling... feel dumb

Most bosses and minibosses have alternative ways to kill them.

I did the stun trick today. And only remembered after the fact that I used to kill him with the slingshot my first time through the game.

Blew my mind.

gwiz210

Has anyone else noticed this game kicks you offline when playing it? Your friends can't see you online playing this. Is it just me?

Deku

Banned
gwiz210 said:
Has anyone else noticed this game kicks you offline when playing it? Your friends can't see you online playing this. Is it just me?

Yep, internet is turned off even if you leave wireless on. Though streetpass is still active. I assume this is a battery saving feature otherwise it's a bug. (also explains why no one on my FL is shown as playing the game lol)

As soon as you shut down the game (not just suspend it) wireless goes back to normal.

gwiz210

Deku said:
Yep, internet is turned off even if you leave wireless on. I assume this is a battery saving feature. Though streetpass is still active.

As soon as you shut down the game (not just suspend it) wireless goes back to normal.
That's weird as hell. If I wanted to save battery life I'd just hit the wifi switch like any other game.

Deku

Banned
gwiz210 said:
That's weird as hell. If I wanted to save battery life I'd just hit the wifi switch like any other game.

I amended by post. could be a bug as it would mean no one will show as being online playing this game, unless they suspend the game and force the 3DS to go online by accessing their friendlist.

small matter I suppose.

Deku said:
Yep, internet is turned off even if you leave wireless on. Though streetpass is still active. I assume this is a battery saving feature otherwise it's a bug. (also explains why no one on my FL is shown as playing the game lol)

I can use the Internet Browser just fine when I suspend the game using the Home button.

I swear they sped this game up. Text scrolls quickly and I don't feel that Navi took forever explaining how doors open this time around.

Also, the gyro stuff is pretty neat as opposed to the crap I thought it was going to be.

Medalion

Banned
Silver_DNA said:
I swear they sped this game up. Text scrolls quickly and I don't feel that Navi took forever explaining how doors open this time around.

Also, the gyro stuff is pretty neat as opposed to the crap I thought it was going to be.
The game is optimized on more powerful hardware and optimized at 30fps instead of the sub 30fps on the N64 back in tha day

Top Bottom