• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Synless said:
Ok, two things. First does anyone have a good mask trading guide? I have the first mask and don't remember where to get rid of it from. Second in Kakariko village, where is this last chicken hidden? I can here the damn thing and I feel like it is behind a box, but I can't remove it. It has been way too long since I've played this, I don't remember this stuff.
Mask Trading:

Keaton Mask --> Soldier in Kakariko Village that you gave Zelda's letter to (the one near Death Mountain). He said his kid wants a "kee... something..." mask.

Skull Mask --> Skull Kid in Lost Woods. Go left as soon as you enter the woods, put the mask on and talk to him. You can also probably wait to give it to him if you want the Deku Stick upgrade early in the game, by putting the Skull Mask on at the forest stage (go right, left, right, left, left. The hole is located by the bunch of butterflies circling an area in the back) and getting the upgrade. Then give it to the Skull Kid.

Spooky Mask --> Kid in the Graveyard who wants to be like Dampe.

Bunny Hood --> Running man around Lon Lon Ranch; usually shows up around after you complete Jabu Jabu's belly.

Hope that helps.

kr2t0s said:
Are the video hints that are in the game - are those new or were they in the n64 version?

(shamelessly admits he never played the original....)

part of Nintendo's new hints policy you find in every new 1 party game

Lkr

would you guys say the graphical leap is greater, less, or equal to that of pokemon red/blue to firered/leafgreen?

Poyunch

All this time I've never known about the Forest Stage.
Wearing the Skull Mask
for the first time was hilarious. I was so surprised.

PounchEnvy said:
All this time I've never known about the Forest Stage.
Wearing the Skull Mask
for the first time was hilarious. I was so surprised.
I knew about it but never knew fuck all what to do there until I was messing about last night.

bummyhead

Lkr said:
would you guys say the graphical leap is greater, less, or equal to that of pokemon red/blue to firered/leafgreen?

I read a review in a non gamer publication that said it looked better than Twilight Princess. That review was wrong, it still has N64 geometry for the most part, but it is a BIG, BIG leap nonetheless.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
bummyhead said:
I read a review in a non gamer publication that said it looked better than Twilight Princess. That review was wrong, it still has N64 geometry for the most part, but it is a BIG, BIG leap nonetheless.

Well, i would say that at least Link's model in this game looks better than TP Link, but maybe it's just me.

Beth Cyra

Bisnic said:
Well, i would say that at least Link's model in this game looks better than TP Link, but maybe it's just me.
Style wise maybe.

Beyond that not a chance, TP Link has way more detail put into him.

bummyhead

Bisnic said:

Different, but not better, prob about the same.

Artistically, I preferred the TP style, though evidently I am now in the minority.

sfried

TruePrime said:
Well yeah, I can't imagine how someone could possible think that Link in OoT 3D looks even close to as good as Link in TP be it Style or Tech.
I like how OoT link portrayed here looks closer to his SSBM counterpart that happens to uses higher quality models.

In fact, I'm glad they reworked all the models, even if some of them are questionably/purposefully ugly.
Regulus Tera said:
Man, people are having problem with the bosses?

It's like I'm watching my ten year-old self play this again.
Not me. Defeated Gohma in 20 seconds!

daffy

Banned
Scarecrow said:
I forgot how mediocre the music is in OoT. For one of the best Zelda games (and a game about music no less), it has precious few good tracks. And it doesn't even have the theme.

what's going on in here guys.

bummyhead

TruePrime said:
Well yeah, I can't imagine how someone could possible think that Link in OoT 3D looks even close to as good as Link in TP be it Style or Tech.

Hmm, no I do think it is fair to say that technically the model is on a par. Less detailed? Yes, but that was a stylistic choice, not a technical limitation.

But I wholeheartedly agree than TP Link had better style, and I am disappointed that SS deviated from that instead of improving on it.

gwiz210

Any news on a patch so this game doesn't boot you offline when you play it?

(For those that haven't noticed, you won't appear online to friends when playing this game. It doesn't have anything to do with the fact this game doesn't have leaderboard/multiplayer, as other single player games still show you online, but OoT doesn't for whatever reason)

bummyhead said:
Hmm, no I do think it is fair to say that technically the model is on a par. Less detailed? Yes, but that was a stylistic choice, not a technical limitation.

But I wholeheartedly agree than TP Link had better style, and I am disappointed that SS deviated from that instead of improving on it.
No, it's a much lower poly model and looks like something from relatively early in the PS2's lifespan. Link has no shadow, for goodness' sake. Let's not get carried away here.

TP had very impressive 3D work. It's just that the textures look really dated when you go back to it now.

Cranzor

I don't feel this should be spoiler marked but you know that easter egg at Hyrule castle with the Mario paintings? It now has a New Super Mario Bros. mural on the wall. Probably old but oh well I haven't seen it in here yet.

Through tears, threats to quit the game, and 5 hours, Ive finally completed Jabu Jabu's Stomach. Defeating Barinade calls for celebratory drinks. Thanks for the tips, they were helpful. The camera was terrible in it, or just not intuitive, I cant get used to it. But whats done is done. I hope future bosses arent that difficult.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dedication Through Light said:
Through tears, threats to quit the game, and 5 hours, Ive finally completed Jabu Jabu's Stomach. Defeating Barinade calls for celebratory drinks. Thanks for the tips, they were helpful. The camera was terrible in it, or just not intuitive, I cant get used to it. But whats done is done. I hope future bosses arent that difficult.

Morpha will make you shit your pants then =P

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Regulus Tera said:
Should we tell him the trick about the Water Temple mid boss already, or should we let him figure it out himself?
I'm actually enjoying this. Leave him in suspense--besides, that boss was interesting. Just wait until he gets to the Water Temple boss, the Shadow Temple boss and the Spirit Temple bosses. :D

Watching people play this game for the first time genuinely makes me smile. I feel happy for them.

hamchan

Regulus Tera said:
Should we tell him the trick about the Water Temple mid boss already, or should we let him figure it out himself?

Let him figure it out!. No spoilers please people! We need to laugh at their pain.

Never thought I'd see "tears" and "Ocarina of Time" in the same sentence in regards to difficulty. That's more Zelda 2's territory.

But then that makes me happy to realize/remember that most solutions aren't spelled out in the game, even with an info-spouting fairy from hell at your side.

Medalion

Banned
Scarecrow said:
I forgot how mediocre the music is in OoT. For one of the best Zelda games (and a game about music no less), it has precious few good tracks. And it doesn't even have the theme.
WUT THA
fuck?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How About No said:
Never thought I'd see "tears" and "Ocarina of Time" in the same sentence in regards to difficulty. That's more Zelda 2's territory.

But then that makes me happy to realize/remember that most solutions aren't spelled out in the game, even with an info-spouting fairy from hell at your side.

More like most games today spoon-feed their users. He was arguing that OoT would be better with auto-healing a while ago.

Busaiku

I'm trying to rush my through to get Master Quest, yet I keep wasting time one way or another...
Also, I'm really horrible at the slingshot gallery.

How About No said:

"Hey! Listen! I took a picture of your angry face, wanna see?"

They could've gone total troll with Navi.

FGMPR

Banned
It comes out on the 30th here in Aus.

I think I'm going to crack and buy a 3DS and OoT, as I've never played it, and loved Wind Waker. Is OoT really as good as WW, even taking nostalgia into account?

Foxix Von

Someone explain to me why one of the greatest games I've ever played has a character that is actively bothering me to take a break and not play it.

FGMPR said:
Is OoT really as good as WW, even taking nostalgia into account?
Ocarina is very tried-and-true, and Windwaker takes more chances. However, I still feel Ocarina is a much better designed game, and left more of an impact on me than Windwaker did. You're guaranteed two wonderful games either way, though.

Foxix said:
Someone explain to me why one of the greatest games I've ever played has a character that is actively bothering me to take a break and not play it.
vidja games are bad for you.

Beth Cyra

FGMPR said:
It comes out on the 30th here in Aus.

I think I'm going to crack and buy a 3DS and OoT, as I've never played it, and loved Wind Waker. Is OoT really as good as WW, even taking nostalgia into account?
Even with out Nos, OoT is better then WW in a few ways.

The overall dugeon design and diffculty I would say are both better then Wind Waker.

I'd say other things as well but that is because I prefer the land based OoT better then Wind Waker overall.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The only time I got a game over in my original run was at the last boss, solely because I kept using the wrong weapon to deliver the final blow.

Biggoron Sword is cool, but it does not vanquish evil!

Poyunch

Foxix said:
The best games love you back. Ocarina of Time doesn't want your eyes to become permanently crossed.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I completed everything up to getting to the Forest Temple today. I'm too tired to go through it, so tomorrow will be much greater. I've reached the part where I have no memory of what to do, so the game is going to feel new to me (minus the main story elements). I've also got a fuckton of sidequests to do (Heart Pieces, Great Fairy Fountains, Biggoron's Sword, etc.), so I'll be having fun with this for a while, though I doubt I'll go for the 100%. I want to retain a little sanity before I start Master Quest.

Teknoman

Just noticed we didnt get a real instruction manual. Whats with just getting a spread out mini manual?

EDIT: I wonder if 3DS would be able to finally do WW art style justice? Or would we see more OoT style art for the first 3DS ground up Zelda title?

Foxix said:

"Link! Turn off your 3DS, right now!"

"The 3D will ruin your eyes if you look so close!"

"Honestly though, you've been playing the game for a long time. Don't you have anything better to do with your time?"

Izayoi

Banned
cacophony said:
Just got my 3DS with this and played through the Deku Tree. Plays and looks amazing. I played with the 3D for the first time (all the way up) and it kinda gave me a headache and made me feel cross eye. Do you get used to this?
It takes some getting used to. Just suck it up and blast that shit constantly and eventually you won't have any problems.

Teknoman

Izayoi said:
It takes some getting used to. Just suck it up and blast that shit constantly and eventually you won't have any problems.

Dont forget that if the game goes complete double vision, its just a glitch.

Top Bottom