• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages 3DS VC release |OT|

Skilletor

Someday we'll have a Zelda thread that doesn't eventually devolve into a discussion about which entry in the greatest video game series of all time is the worst.

Isn't there a Zelda community thread where such discussions can be held? I know something similar happened for FF.

The codes thing seems to be confusing but it's not all that bad. Assuming one plays Ages first...

Play through Ages, recieve code.
Start Seasons with code, things from Ages appear in Seasons.
Recieve codes from Ages NPCs that are in Seasons and use them back in Ages.
Complete task to recieve code in Ages to bring back reward to Seasons.
Complete Seasons for bonus content and real ending.

Okay it does seem pretty bad actually, haha.

Really wish Nintendo would have reprogrammed the games to automate the code transfer. Portable games should not require you to write anything down.

DaBoss

I don't know if I should start playing this today, I still need to play that EO4 demo.

Someday we'll have a Zelda thread that doesn't eventually devolve into a discussion about which entry in the greatest video game series of all time is the worst.

Haha...hahahahahahaha...

Zelda fans are too varied on opinion and are crazy. :(

Well i've just wraped up the second dungeon of seaons. both were a little bland in design for me, but they do remind me an awful lot of zelda 1 style puzzles (and not just the obvious boss reference).

The overworld is certainly charming and i didn't expect subterranean town.

I am surprised there is so many sprites borrowed from links awakening being as there was 8 years difference between releases, and i was hoping they'd improve the item management a bit (make the bracelets permanent on etc. )

I'm excited to get deeper in.

EDIT: Some of the music is pretty awful too.

Robin64

"Stretched" is the default. It won't fill the 3DS screen completely as it's still achieving the same aspect ratio (which is crucial, frankly).

1:1 is superb on an XL, mind. The screen you get is about the size of a real Gameboy Color screen and that little 3D effect is beautiful.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
You can't. The default IS stretched. Not as in full-screen, though. The proportions remain as they were.

?!? What 3D effect?

If you have 3D on while on 1:1, there's a little 3D effect that makes it look as if the Gameboy's screen was further away from you.

"Stretched" is the default. It won't fill the 3DS screen completely as it's still achieving the same aspect ratio (which is crucial, frankly).

1:1 is superb on an XL, mind. The screen you get is about the size of a real Gameboy Color screen and that little 3D effect is beautiful.

You can't. The default IS stretched. Not as in full-screen, though. The proportions remain as they were.

?!? What 3D effect?

Just get it! I am used to default but 1:1 is very cool!

Javier

Playing these for the first time. Downloaded both, starting with Seasons. Done with the first dungeon and now doing some exploring. Enjoying it very much so far.

khaaan

Word on the street is that the Advance shop is not open on the 3DS versions. I don't care either way since it didn't do a whole lot but completionists might be a bit peeved.

Word on the street is that the Advance shop is not open on the 3DS versions. I don't care either way since it didn't do a whole lot but completionists might be a bit peeved.

Yeah the first thing I checked when I got the game... very very weird that it's not included. It's literally incredibly easy to add (even on a regular GBC if you have a gameshark). It's literally just looking for a GBA identifier string in the GBC bios, something that would have been equivalent to flipping a switch in emulation.

I can only assume it was removed to keep it as "pure" as possible a GBC experience, it's just a very odd omission.

?!? What 3D effect?

Unless the DS/3DS screends which sit flush, GB/C screens were actually sunken in a little bit into the plastic... If you turn 3D on in 1:1 mode, it replicates this effect. It's very neat, but not especially playable. It's more of a cool detail than anything.

huh, original GBC screen size was the default for me.

Anyway, my first time on Seasons and until now it has been pretty amazing (4th dungeon up ahead), after I didn't quite feel Link's Awakening.
Lots of content on the world map to discover, charming NPCs everywhere, some control issues from LA removed, and WHY the fuck have mounts never returned? They are absolutely amazing.
Generally, I hope the art direction and mood of the Capcom games returns in ALTTP2, especially since the trailer watched on the 3DS looks pretty much like the natural evolution of Minish Cap anyway.

Ahh, Oracle of Ages. That was such a great Zelda.

Back in 2001, I enjoyed it up until the final dungeon, where I was stupid enough to sell it to Gamestop/Funcoland/Ican'tremember because I couldn't solve that one teleport puzzle.

When I get a 3DS, both of these games will be mine.

ampere

I haven't played these since the GBC releases.

Bought em both yesterday, I will enjoy replaying these handheld classics. Season swapping is cool, but I think time travel is the cooler effect of the two games.

Robin64

Will be starting on Ages later on. Last time I played, I did Seasons first, so this time I am curious about what Ages character appear in a continued game in Seasons.

Yeah, it's not a game-breaker by any means, but it will be the bane for any completionist out there.

EDIT: Actually I just realized it wouldn't be too bad, if you are willing to use a password for a linked game that has the respective rings already included.

D-e-f-

Banned
I should not be in this thread. I'm so close to buying these even though I shouldn't and I just played both on my SP a few years ago ... *hnnngghh!

Oxx

I'd download Seasons if I wasn't still trapped in a Fire Emblem-shaped hole.

I had Ages back on the GBC but didn't get very far with it.

Celegus

I've only finished the first dungeon in Seasons, but it does hold up better than I thought it would. I'll probably grab Ages as well.

Pappasman

Made it through to the third dungeon in Ages last night. I'm surprised at how much of this game I remember. It feels like it's been forever since the last time I've played it.

Scanna

I'm loving seasons, my first playthrough...I just hate that they recicled so many assets (practically entire game) from Link's Awakening

About to start Seasons, which game was it that featured the dancing minigame? I remember that making me go near insane as a youngling.

bndadm

This talk about completion I'm guessing is mostly linked to rings, right?

Other than various attributes, do the rings have an impact on the story?

Also, how obsessed should I be about planting the seedlings in Seasons? I thought they provided some Gasha nuts/seeds, but I don't recall.

These games feel like the Assassin's Creed of their day with all the systems going on...

So I'm playing Seasons and in the ring shop. I got my rings appraised and can see them in my list, I select one and it goes to the upper part of my screen and also has a "C" on it.. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to actually wear it.

Seasons. I just did that yesterday. It wasn't hard at all, but pretty fun.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll get it easily now, was pretty young when the games came out. Although I had already beaten both Ocarina and Majora's by that point so I don't know why I found it so hard in hindsight. Oh well.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm playing Seasons and in the ring shop. I got my rings appraised and can see them in my list, I select one and it goes to the upper part of my screen and also has a "C" on it.. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to actually wear it.

You can equip it on your items screen.

Top Bottom