• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Kifimbo

TheExodu5 said:
Ugh. Pretty sure I'll be skipping it, then. I skipped the entirety of Twilight Princess because I hated the intro so much.

The pacing of the intro is much better, but the first 2-3 hours are pretty slow.

Lunar15

Attendees can look forward to a variety of memorable offerings, including the unveiling of a Master Sword replica, trivia challenges and a special The Legend of Zelda historical showcase.

Does this mean... they'll be on sale now? Or is it just for the store?

Oh god I hope they're selling them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Aeana said:
The intro is a fraction of the length of TP's, and the tutorial stuff is much better integrated into the game (and explains some things that are actually new to the game). You start fighting stuff much earlier on, too.

I hope you're right. If they can keep it short and to the point, I won't mind too much. When the intro stretches beyond an hour is when I start getting angry. Spending an entire evening just to start the game just sours the experience for me. I can count a few games that have done this to me: Okami, Twilight Princess, Kingdom Hearts. Suikoden V and Persona 4 might count as well, though at least the stories were marginally gripping.

I went a little overboard with my earlier comment about skipping the game entirely due to the intro. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't promise not to bitch about it to hell and back if I don't get to play the first dungeon within a reasonable timeframe.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
TheExodu5 said:
I hope you're right. If they can keep it short and to the point, I won't mind too much. When the intro stretches beyond an hour is when I start getting angry. Spending an entire evening just to start the game just sours the experience for me. I can count a few games that have done this to me: Okami, Twilight Princess, Kingdom Hearts. Suikoden V and Persona 4 might count as well, though at least the stories were marginally gripping.

I went a little overboard with my earlier comment about skipping the game entirely due to the intro. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I don't promise not to bitch about it to hell and back if I don't get to play the first dungeon within a reasonable timeframe.
Oh gosh, KHII was just waaaaaay too long with the intro. I understand they did it for narrative reasons by my goodness. MM had one of the better intros in the Zelda serious. It just put you right into the action. No explanations or anything. When I first played it as a kid, I was shocked.

TheExodu5

Banned
kayos90 said:
Oh gosh, KHII was just waaaaaay too long with the intro. I understand they did it for narrative reasons by my goodness. MM had one of the better intros in the Zelda serious. It just put you right into the action. No explanations or anything. When I first played it as a kid, I was shocked.

Yeah KHII was abysmal. 8 hours. 8 hours to "start" the game. At that point, I was just fed up and didn't bother to boot up the game again. Suikoden V is the only other game I've played with an equally slow intro, but at least the story was mildly entertaining, so I wasn't as angry about it...it certainly kills me will to ever want to start it up again, though.

Never played MM. :(

I'm hoping for a 3DS re-release. That would be fabulous.

Aeana

TheExodu5 said:

That's understandable. I won't claim that the game doesn't have a lengthy intro, but it does at least let you get into the action far sooner than TP did. It's hard to say exactly how long the game takes to get you into the first "dungeon" because of how the world works
there being lengthy dungeon-like field areas before the actual dungeons themselves
, but I guess about 2 hours is a good estimate. I at least did not get restless or impatient at all during the lead-up. YMMV, of course.

To be honest with Okami it wasn't just the beginning which had pacing problems (can you say the entire game?)

With Twilight Princess, I think that along the 'OoT v2' the pacing problem at the beginning was the points that got the biggest criticism. So naturally it's a bit disheartening to hear that it's not something Nintendo has addressed 'completely'. Of course I have to play it myself to judge properly. I don't mind getting to a real dungeon after a couple of hours as long as those hours have been packed with some entertaining stuff. The problem with TP was that in those hours you did some really slow-paced stuff which really made the first part a real bore.

Aeana said:
That's understandable. I won't claim that the game doesn't have a lengthy intro, but it does at least let you get into the action far sooner than TP did. It's hard to say exactly how long the game takes to get you into the first "dungeon" because of how the world works
there being lengthy dungeon-like field areas before the actual dungeons themselves
, but I guess about 2 hours is a good estimate. I at least did not get restless or impatient at all during the lead-up. YMMV, of course.
See I agree that TP's intro should've been shorter and there was some fat they could've trimmed but it really annoys me when people complain that it takes 2-3 hours to get into the action. In the first 1/2 hour you go on a quest into the woods to save the monkey and malon, you explore through the woods, fight monsters, obtain keys, get the lantern which solves some puzzles and then save them. Then in the first 1 1/2 you are in a minidungeon(Hyrule prison) and you navigate through there as wolf link solving puzzles and defeating enemies while Midna taunts you to figure it out yourself. I'll agree that it should take less amount of time to get to the first dungeon but there was a lot of action and fun things to do(along with a few tedious things) before you got into the 1st dungeon. Considering he seems to be ignoring the save Malon quest and Hyrule prison minidungeon I doubt he's going to be thrilled with the stuff you have to do before SS' first dungeon. Especially finding the Kikwi section.

Crunched said:
Okami was beautiful, you monster
Oh yeah, just see me haunt you not twice, not three times, but four times!!!

Kidding aside, I never said Okami wasn't beauitful(or a bad game), I loved Okami, was completely lost in it and didn't want it to end, which then almost happened :p. That I could appriciate the pacing doesn't mean that I couldn't see, that looking at it more objectively it had some seriously pacing problems which would affect players who weren't into it as much as I were.

Red

confuziz said:
Never got past the boring beginning. Tried it about 3 times. It isn't that great really.
How would you know if you never played past the intro?

To the above: the WII version alleviates some of the tedium through skippable cutscenes. The repeated Orochi/spider bits weren't so much pacing issues as they were missed opportunities. They never really slow the game down.

I don't think I've ever been as engrossed with a game as I was with Okami.

Twilight Princess had more serious issues with pacing imo. But it's been a while since I played Okami. Maybe my opinion now would change.

Lord_Byron28 said:
See I agree that TP's intro should've been shorter and there was some fat they could've trimmed but it really annoys me when people complain that it takes 2-3 hours to get into the action.

snip
I think people's issue was that those two action segments in the beginning weren't as fun as they should have been. Saving Malon from the monkies was ok, it succeeded in creating a sense of urgency, but the actual 'travel' and action was pretty minimal. And while the part in the Hyrule Prison was interesting(wolf!? midna!? weird enemies! interesting visuals) it just dragged on too long. I would say that both of those action part were in the slow end of the fun spectrum. And slow action together with slow filler created a rather strong reaction against the beginning I think.

Xane

Dascu said:
Mini-Games (repeatable, give rewards):
- Boss Rush challenge (in Lanayru)
- Silent Realm challenge (in Lanayru)
Oh really now!? So I don't have to fail the Silent Realm for the Main Story on purpose to collect more Dusk Relics? I need to know where that NPC resides on Lanayru! NOW!

TheExodu5

Banned
Metroid Killer said:
I think people's issue was that those two action segments in the beginning weren't as fun as they should have been. Saving Malon from the monkies was ok, it succeeded in creating a sense of urgency, but the actual 'travel' and action was pretty minimal. And while the part in the Hyrule Prison was interesting(wolf!? midna!? weird enemies! interesting visuals) it just dragged on too long. I would say that both of those action part were in the slow end of the fun spectrum. And slow action together with slow filler created a rather strong reaction against the beginning I think.
The Midna part was a sewer level. Sewer levels always suck. :|

TheExodu5 said:
The Midna part was a sewer level. Sewer levels always suck. :|
The worst offender to me was the fact that you had to go through Faron Woods 3 times before getting access to the dungeon. Once to save Malon, then work your way through it all again as wolf link searching for the bugs, and then one more time as Link. Too much repetition.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I never had any issues with pacing the first time I played TP. It all felt fine to me. It was a bit of a downer upon replaying.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
kayos90 said:
What? Majora's Mask suffers from the exact same problem. You're fucking around with some boring town shit for the first hours. I wish it just dumped you into the action...

The_Technomancer said:
The opening of TP would be fine, IMO, if it wasn't for the tear hunt.
What gets me is that it spans days. Like, you get up, do a bunch of boring work stuff like herding goats in an unnecessary "here's how to ride your horse that you already rid here" tutorial, bird calling, fishing, doing tutorials for a bunch of annoying small children, and then you have to run through woods to save an annoying brat and a thieving monkey and then you go home to go to sleep WHAT'LL HAPPEN TOMORROW. THEN you have to talk to people, WAIT SOMETHING INTERESTING???, then get turned into a dog, run through a gray sewer dungeon until you get to the end and something interesting finally happens again, then you have to go through a stealth QTE section to get your second sword and first (1st) shield (which you can't use yet) and then you finally go into some woods to hunt bugs that you can only see by using Detective Vision and float around above your dog head so you have to charge up a dumb attack (you are a dog during this whole part, a dog) and then FINALLY you get turned back into a human and you get your outfit and a sword and shield and are allowed to run to the first dungeon.

Red

There is more to the repetition besides the intro. You travel the river between Lake Hylia and Zora's domain three or four times, for instance.

My biggest problem is still the two fish thing. Why two?? You catch one and nothing happens, which gives you the impression you've missed something or are on the wrong track. What's the purpose of two fish? To make sure the first one wasn't a fluke?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
BocoDragon said:
What? Majora's Mask suffers from the exact same problem. You're fucking around with some boring town shit for the first hours. I wish it just dumped you into the action...
I guess you could call that the intro section. Personally I felt like it wasn't really an intro segment. Maybe it was just me.

Crunched said:
There is more to the repetition besides the intro. You travel the river between Lake Hylia and Zora's domain three or four times, for instance.

My biggest problem is still the two fish thing. Why two?? You catch one and nothing happens, which gives you the impression you've missed something or are on the wrong track. What's the purpose of two fish? To make sure the first one wasn't a fluke?
I think the game somehow expected you to catch a fish the instant you got the rod instead of waiting until you get to the cat... and for some reason that first fish wouldn't count??? I don't know.

During a playthrough recently I caught fish in the pond first and THEN went on to get the fish for the cat. The first fish took.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
kayos90 said:
I guess you could call that the intro section. Personally I felt like it wasn't really an intro segment. Maybe it was just me.

I have had attempted replays of MM stymied by the entire opening sequence. To me, it was much worse than any other Zelda.

Dr.Hadji

BocoDragon said:

Seeing as the boring town stuff is the best part of the game I'm going to disagree. And being dropped into a town with a real time timer of a moon coming down on your head is being dumped right into the action.

Majora's Mask had a pretty annoying opening because you can't save and you have to wait until the actual end end of the three days with no ability to get to the end faster even if you've done everything.

BorkBork said:
I have had attempted replays of MM stymied by the entire opening sequence. To me, it was much worse than any other Zelda.
To be fair this part only sucks on a re-play because you already know exactly what to do and you are just sitting around waiting for the clock to tick so you can get the ocarina. Your first play through you don't know what is going on at all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
ShockingAlberto said:
Majora's Mask had a pretty annoying opening because you can't save and you have to wait until the actual end end of the three days with no ability to get to the end faster even if you've done everything.

You have a way, actually. The Scarecrow at the Lab.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, wait, looking through that list of mini-games...

No Cave of Ordeals challenge? Boo. Those rocked in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So has anyone said how much room the motion plus is going to generally use for this game in terms of how much and how far you'll be swinging? I just thought about the fact that I'll be playing this at a desk, and that might present a problem.

Peterthumpa

Some Dolphin shots from our Euro version:

irY2U23qBZY7m.png

i1gg26JrVlEkX.png

iGZ3DGwyhLYCi.png

Xane

Watch Da Birdie said:
So, wait, looking through that list of mini-games...

No Cave of Ordeals challenge? Boo. Those rocked in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
There is something similar at the end of the game...

It may have been answered already but is the CD the full performance that was given in LA/London or just selections? I was at the LA performance and I'm really hoping for the full thing (although I could do without the ocarina songs part).

BY2K said:
That is the moment you realize the art style really was made for the Wii and the Wii only...

I mean... a few obvious things aside I think it looks quite beautiful. It probably looks better there than it's going to on my Samsung :(

GJS

Hollywood Duo said:
It may have been answered already but is the CD the full performance that was given in LA/London or just selections? I was at the LA performance and I'm really hoping for the full thing (although I could do without the ocarina songs part).
Just a selection, 8 tracks.

brandonh83 said:
I mean... a few obvious things aside I think it looks quite beautiful.

Yeah, I think it looks fantastic. I like that you can see the texture of the brush strokes here. The only real problem is that the characters and objects now look to sharp for the environments.

Top Bottom