• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Branduil

My god the Water dragon is an asshole. Everyone else just gives you stuff

Also, is
getting the three song parts
the bit everyone was complaining about? Because I'm having a lot of fun.

I just finished that part and
it was easily the worst part of the game. Made worse because it's so pointless and stupid. I expect that kind of thing in a Rare game, not an EAD Zelda.

jackdoe

God, it's awful. Worst animation in the game, I think. How did they drop the ball there?

I also don't appreciate how
they reuse the same dance sequence more than a couple of times.
That's compounded by the fact that she repeats the same
message from the goddess three times with the only variation being a number and a location before doing the creepy song and dance number. They couldn't come up with three unique messages?

I just figured out that drawing the rupee horizontally works...

Anyway, HOLY SHIT at the dungeon 5 boss. Not only was the whole dungeon awesome, but the boss is incredible.
Running through the ship as it's falling apart and sinking was crazy, and then actually fighting the thing out in a storm was brilliant. And hard! I haven't even defeated it yet. I got to the 3rd stage of it but died as I was running towards a heart lol. But I'm not sad, as this is the first time in many years that I've actually died on a Zelda boss. So good to see difficulty in a Zelda game, especially within such cool circumstances also lol.
The actual monster though loses a but of it's threat just because it looks so... cartoony. It fits the artstyle perfectly but maybe they could have made it look a bit more scary haha.

Regardless, this whole game just keeps getting better and better.
It was definitely a high point and reminded me of
Uncharted 3 and God of War 1. Actually, it really reminded me of God of War 1's first boss fight, only redone to be all ages.

No seriously, i'm really surprised more people haven't mentioned the compressed sound. Both here or in the press.

It really bums me out =/

Anth0ny

I'm having a hard time forcing myself to do these sidequests... especially upgrading my shit. I have enough bugs and rupees, but I don't have enough tumbleweeds. bleh.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a hard time forcing myself to do these sidequests... especially upgrading my shit. I have enough bugs and rupees, but I don't have enough tumbleweeds. bleh.
Those are the easiest item to get.
Drop in to the "port" at Lanayru and kill the two yellow slime things that pop out the ground. Then just stand there and tumbleweeds will continuously spawn, about one every twenty to thirty seconds.

that stretch of side quests/fetch quests between the 3rd and 4th dungeon made my mind blow up, haha just about down with the 4th dungeon.

I can finish the dungeons really quick but spend an eternity on the side/fetch quests 0_o

can't stop now though, addicted B^)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got up to the
Gem of the Hero or whatever, basically beat the last Silent Realm
I think I'm in a minority here, but I really really loved
everything between after dungeon 6 up to that silent realm
. More so the dungeons 3-6, quite honestly.

Getting tired of the Zelda formula, but damn this game came close to capturing the joy of playing Wind Waker. Also a hell of a final stretch, last few hours are stellar.

AniHawk

Got up to the
Gem of the Hero or whatever, basically beat the last Silent Realm
I think I'm in a minority here, but I really really loved
everything between after dungeon 6 up to that silent realm
. More so the dungeons 3-6, quite honestly.

yeah, i thought all of it was pretty well done.

Alright Nintendoids, I have a confession to make. I love this game and I'm only at Lanayru Desert. I just love the little cool moments like running away from the boulder or all the hill running sequences. A lot of cool little things you can do in combat too.

I hear it gets even better and I can't wait.

You did it again!

What the hell is a doid? Is it some weird attempt at avoiding a ban for not saying droids?

Mistle

No seriously, i'm really surprised more people haven't mentioned the compressed sound. Both here or in the press.

It really bums me out =/
I've got a sensitive ear for this kind of stuff, and I haven't really noticed tbh. I'm playing through a decent 2.1 system and it sounds great. Or maybe it just sounds a lot better than the low-quality samples in TP...

Guevara

I've got a sensitive ear for this kind of stuff, and I haven't really noticed tbh. I'm playing through a decent 2.1 system and it sounds great. Or maybe it just sounds a lot better than the low-quality samples in TP...

Maybe I'm deaf but a lot of the minor sound effects sound virtually unchanged from TP, which is kind of a bummer. I want new sound for picking up rupees and hearts, new discovery fanfare, new file select music etc. So much sounds recycled or slightly rerecorded.

I understand some of these will be the same melody, I just want a substantially different interpretation in the same way we got a new graphical interpretation going from TP to SS.

Mistle

Maybe I'm deaf but a lot of the minor sound effects sound virtually unchanged from TP, which is kind of a bummer. I want new sound for picking up rupees and hearts, new discovery fanfare, new file select music etc. So much sounds recycled or slightly rerecorded.

I understand some of these will be the same melody, I just want a substantially different interpretation in the same way we got a new graphical interpretation going from TP to SS.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Though a lot of sound effects do sound new. Most chimes have a slightly different melody/rhythm to them and incorporate a harp.

I was mainly referring to the actual music however.

Stylo

Dungeon 5 at the moment. I felt pretty stupid at
the puzzle where you strike the wheel in different directions. I wasn't able to make sense of what order to do it in.

I have very mixed thoughts about this game. It does a lot of things majestically but it also has a ton of flaws that wear down the experience. I guess it must be a testament to the game that I'm still enjoying it very much despite those ugly, glaring flaws.

cacophony

Some of the hand holding is so blatantly hilarious.

"Hey, look at that chandilier, we wouldn't want somebody to roll into a wall and knock it down..."

Anyway, on the 2nd dungeon and liking it a lot more than the 1st.

chiba

Jeez, are you actually reading any of the text in the game?

It seems like you're coming in here evey half step of the way. And people wonder why there's so much hand holding.

What's funny is he can just hit down on the d-pad and Fi will pretty much give the same exacts answers he's getting on here;p

Played up to the second temple. I just want to say that this game is an utter joy to play. If this game keeps this quality up then this might be my new favourite Zelda. It's just magical.

Salih

I think the last dungeon in this game is the very best designed dungeon in any Zelda ever. so many puzzles (gotta use your different items non-stop) and overall it was hard too. my mind was completely blown by it. i loved the idea behind that dungeon.

and you know
actually getting the Triforces was so epic.

AniHawk

Some of the hand holding is so blatantly hilarious.

"Hey, look at that chandilier, we wouldn't want somebody to roll into a wall and knock it down..."

i figured that out before i saw the sign. i think it was there for comedic effect, because it explicitly tells you not to do it.

shibbs

The
goddess cube drowsing
is pointing me inside the
skyview temple
but I don't know where to look. Any help?

The
goddess cube drowsing
is pointing me inside the
skyview temple
but I don't know where to look. Any help?

1. There's one on top of the temple entrance. There should be some moss on the right side that you can grapple to and then further climb toward.

2. There's one at the very end of the temple behind the pedestal.

Uchip

Banned
so I finished the game and
was kind of hoping groose would get a bit power hungry near the end and turn a bit evil, because he kinda looks like ganondorf and demise is going to become the curse that follows link around. Nintendo didnt have the balls to do that which would have been pretty epic :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
i figured that out before i saw the sign. i think it was there for comedic effect, because it explicitly tells you not to do it.
I think he meant that you get a cut scene with it as you enter and the NPCs tell you not to do it.

I didn't do it, I didn't wanna be a jerk, I thought later you can do it without breaking shit, until I was told that it opens up more quests. I'm never trusting NPCs again!

Mistle

Any way to move items in your pouch/bag to different slots?
Go to the item check.

Anyway, [pre dungeon 5]
just did the final silent realm. holy shit! that was probably the most suspenseful thing i've ever had to do in a Zelda game lol. I nearly got caught about 5 times, and only made it through by the skin of my teeth. i had to go back through all these odd paths because i went the wrong way and i brushed past the guardians more than i'd like to remember. then when i thought it was all over, i got detected on my way back! D: just made it back within probably half a second.

now, onto the volcano summit.. awesome. btw lol, seems like those different colouring earings people spotted in the trailers actually had a purpose.

Jeez, are you actually reading any of the text in the game?

It seems like you're coming in here evey half step of the way. And people wonder why there's so much hand holding.
To be fair to the guy, the game did glitch him up in the other instance where he was asking for help.

3 fucking weeks left till I get this basterd

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Just got this....How do I turn the giant wiimote HUD off? It's burning my eyes!

Press 1 to go to the Items screen. There should be an option in the bottom left that lets you toggle between Professional, Light and Standard HUDs. I think you have to get past a certain point before the option is there, though.

Jesus Christ, I love this game, but it really feels like it dragging.

I'm STILL on my way to
getting the first flame. Fight The Imprisoned, do the Isle of Songs puzzle, go back to Faron Woods Silent Realm only to then have to open the lake and then go through the lake to then be asked to get some Sacred Water to then be taken to another fucking temple.

I feel burnt out on this.

take your time with the game.
if you rush through a zelda game it never is fun.

It's not that I'm trying to rush through it, I've had the game for over a week and this is where I am, but I'm pretty sure we were told that the next thing we have to do is
get the flames, but you have to do the realms to get them,
only that's not it. You're actually led down a long path of 'do this first, then do that next but oh no you can't because you gotta go there first' before you even get close. I know that Zelda games have been like this before, but I feel like it's taking the piss a bit just to make the game longer.

I would have preferred to be told about the
flames
closer to the time of getting them, making me feel like the mission isn't THAT long.

Top Bottom