• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Big One

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Just out of curiosity, have you made room for the idea that some people didn't because he specifically warned of spoilers, Feep said "TSA put a bunch of spoilers up there," and he went back and spoiler tagged a lot of it?

Like, had that thought gone through your head at all? Or was it just "I HATE TSA SO MUCH THAT I BET EVERY LIVING PERSON HAS READ HIS POST THAT STUPID JERK"?
TSA did that for his impressions in the review thread. He didn't, however, do it in any of his posts here. The proof is in the pudding: http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=32690057&postcount=802. He's also mentioned things in our discussions together.

I'm not hating on TSA here I'm just saying a straight up fact. Anyone expecting anything outside of TSA's or jarsh's impressions might be disappointed.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Apparently Best Buy will be offering a free $10 gift card next week to people who buy either version of Skyward Sword!

Yay!

I'm pretty happy, as I had my pre-order there, anyway.

Big One

Banned
Sorry guys but I just really don't consider those spoilers. I spoiler tagged it to be safe but I still don't think it's a spoiler.

And neither will you. It's like saying Majora's Mask has 4 dungeons to be spoilers, or Super Mario Land 3D having 8 worlds is spoilers.

Big One said:
Sorry guys but I just really don't consider those spoilers. I spoiler tagged it to be safe but I still don't think it's a spoiler.

And neither will you. It's like saying Majora's Mask has 4 dungeons to be spoilers, or Super Mario Land 3D having 8 worlds is spoilers.

Don't you ever feel like sometimes being right is less important than upsetting everyone around you?

(serious question btw)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Big One said:

Everything can be considered a spoiler. Every level, every character, every item, every weapon every location, ever name, every story detail ...EVERYTHING!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yes, it is a spoiler.

It give me an idea of how far in the game I am. When I know I'm in the last dungeon, it just makes me go: "Ahh poo, the game is almost over".

And it's not fun. At all.

Xane

Some things regarding
Hero Mode
I noticed (not really spoilers, but anyway):

- Some characters recognize that you're playing in Hero Mode and thus their dialog changes slightly. Minor, but I enjoyed it!
- All your materials get carried over! This is kinda big, had I known this before, I would've stacked a shitload of them beforehand.
- You receive double damage from enemies.
- No heart pickups (no flowers, no random drops), but Rupees seem to drop more frequent as a side effect.
- Also, regarding heart drops, if you buy the Heart Medal from Beedle, hearts will start dropping again, but still on a slightly lower frequency than normal.

Big One

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
Don't you ever feel like sometimes being right is less important than upsetting everyone around you?
Absolutely not. I've played the game, if I mentioned an actual spoiler, even a gameplay one I would've spoiler tagged in. The disappointing thing however (SPOILERS DO NOT HIGHLIGHT)
not only has TSA spoiled the entire game, but so has Nintendo on the official site
and I think people need to set their expectations before mass disappointment occurs. The number of dungeons isn't a real spoiler considering there's far more content than the dungeons in the game...stuff that is actually legit gameplay spoilers.

BY2K said:
Yes, it is a spoiler.

It give me an idea of how far in the game I am. When I know I'm in the last dungeon, it just makes me go: "Ahh poo, the game is almost over".

You don't even realize how wrong you are. That's all I'll say without spoiling anything

Caelus said:
This is true, everyone should spoiler tag everything.

I went back and put tags on the name of one dungeon and the mention of specifics about dungeons that could clue you into the total dungeon count in the second impressions post.

Xane

BY2K said:
Yes, it is a spoiler.

Actually, the amount of dungeons is a bad indicator of how far along you are in this game as all the fields function similar to a dungeon.
Also, even after you beat the last dungeon, there's still much to do before the last battle, so you shouldn't be worried too much.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Xane said:
Actually, the amount of dungeons is a bad indicator of how far along you are in this game as all the fields function similar to a dungeon.
Also, even after you beat the last dungeon, there's still much to do before the last battle, so you shouldn't be worried too much.

Really, now? Huh, that's a change from different Zelda games. I still think it's a spoiler, but if you tell me it isn't an indicator of my progress, then it's less of a problem.

Xane

Sn4ke_911 said:
Xane how do you like SS?

Best Zelda Game Ever Made?
Personally? Heck yes. At least my favorite 3D Zelda, beating both OoT and WW.
And the cutscenes.. so beautiful...

I can see myself replaying this game over and over every year similar to how I did with OoT.
Actually.. I currently am! Thanks to
Hero Mode
Oh, and btw.. if anyone is interested in playing
Hero Mode
right away, you can do something similar to what I did and
skip as many sidequests as possible and never upgrade anything, so you save some additional content for Hero Mode.
:p

Big One

Banned
Xane said:
Personally? Heck yes. At least my favorite 3D Zelda, beating both OoT and WW.
And the cutscenes.. so beautiful...
This is an undeniable fact Skyward Sword feels and watches like you're watching a classic cartoon or anime which is one of the things I love about the game. Not even Wind Waker was truly like this

RPGCrazied

So Xane, you beat the game, answer me this about the
Harp.

Is it true that you only use it during the story and no where else? I found it odd the amount you get but only use them once.

Xane

RPGCrazied said:
So Xane, you beat the game, answer me this about the
Harp.

Is it true that you only use it during the story and no where else? I found it odd the amount you get but only use them once.
Well, it is mainly used for the story, but there's still some use outside of it, although minor in comparison. But is has something to do with Butterflies. :p (And there's that minigame...)

ACB

Neo Member
This has been a phenomenal year for gaming and there is no better way to end 2011 than with a new Zelda title. I haven't been this excited for a game since the first Super Mario Galaxy...this week is going way too slooooow...

Big One

Banned
Hey TSA just a question but did you get the
Hylian Shield
on your first playthrough? Cause I didn't and had absolutely no idea where to find it till after I beat the game. Really surprised it isn't necessary to have. Which is fine cause the
Goddess Shield
alone is a balanced, yet useful item near end-game.

Also don't think our discussion is over, I'll be responding tomorrow night!

spidye

Big One said:
This is an undeniable fact Skyward Sword feels and watches like you're watching a classic cartoon or anime which is one of the things I love about the game. Not even Wind Waker was truly like this
have the exact same feeling about ss. looks and feels much more like an anime.

ASIS

Big One said:
There's something about the overall direction, the facial expressions, etc. That just breathes new life into the scenes. It isn't trying to be a movie, but it just works.

I think it's because of the sound effects as well, not just in the cutscenes but in the game overall. Small stuff such as an echo suddenly appearing when you are in a hollow room can go a long way with the presentation.

I'm in love with this game, the whole sectioned world doesn't bother me in the slightest, and the sky is by far the best over world of any Zelda game to date IMO (yes, I prefer it over the surface).

Xane

Big One said:
Hey TSA just a question but did you get the
Hylian Shield
on your first playthrough? Cause I didn't and had absolutely no idea where to find it till after I beat the game. Really surprised it isn't necessary to have. Which is fine cause the
Goddess Shield
alone is a balanced, yet useful item near end-game.

Also don't think our discussion is over, I'll be responding tomorrow night!
AFAIK, there's no other way. And if you haven't finished all the sidequests by then, you can still put it to good use. :p

Big One said:

This has me SO excited.

Mistle

Nintendo-4Life said:
I'm in love with this game, the whole sectioned world doesn't bother me in the slightest, and the sky is by far the best over world of any Zelda game to date IMO (yes, I prefer it over the surface).
I'm loving your positive impressions, as somehow I feel like I'm going to very happy with the game also, but this quote here is curious. Everybody says the sky is almost barren, with few substantial places to actually go. Why do you love it so much? Just enjoy the aspect of flying?

Xane

Oh and before I go, I'm currently working on a full [Item Upgrade List] (Potential item spoilers!),
so if anyone wanna help me getting all the receips, just send me a PM with the data, I appreciate your help.

I've restrained myself from upgrading anything on my first playthrough, so I am getting into all that stuff just now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The moment you enter the first cave with your sword and you experience Motion+ 0_o

I know I love this game already!

ASIS

Mistle said:
I'm loving your positive impressions, as somehow I feel like I'm going to very happy with the game also, but this quote here is curious. Everybody says the sky is almost barron, with few substantial places to actually go. Why do you love it so much? Just enjoy the aspect of flying?
Exactly, it just feels so good once you're up there. Everything feels so smooth and free falling is, for me, one of the highlights. It's also because.. well.. It really captures the feeling of home. You get to know it very quickly, you see NPCs scattered throughout the sky (sometimes you'll see them flying with you even). It's like the entire place, not just skyloft, is your home, and I absolutely adore that.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but that's just how I feel every time I call my bird.

Big One

Banned
butter_stick said:
How do you get
the Hylian Shied?
It's the prize you get from completing Boss Rush mode (there's other valuable prizes too). This mode is actually pretty obscured in the game.

Mistle

Nintendo-4Life said:
Exactly, it just feels so good once you're up there. Everything feels so smooth and free falling is, for me, one of the highlights. It's also because.. well.. It really captures the feeling of home. You get to know it very quickly, you see NPCs scattered throughout the sky (sometimes you'll see them flying with you even). It's like the entire place, not just skyloft, is your home, and I absolutely adore that.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but that's just how I feel every time I call my bird.
Well I absolutely love sky settings. Skies of Arcadia is one of my favourite games of all time, and when I heard SS took place in the sky with a bird I was very excited. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as you! :D I think I might.

Big One

Banned
giant_frying_pan said:
Have a read over the spoiler section in Member Etiquette. Other members will consider things spoilers that you don't and disrespecting that isn't very nice.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428781
You're right I should respect others but I think people will realize once they play the game that the amount of dungeons isn't really relevent to the game design. The entire game is literally a series of dungeons pretty much, even though most aren't in name..

Combine

Banned
I'm looking forward to the sky as the overworld actually.

My opinion, I've never really liked the overworlds of the 3D Zelda games, with maybe Majora's Mask being the exception, but the time limit kind of hampered exploring it much. I felt they all kind of were barren and empty to be honest.

OOT - Pretty barren, and yeah, I just played the 3DS game and it still was.
MM - Not so barren, but you had to kind of rush through it because of the time limit. I'll be honest though and say I don't remember the game that well since it has been forever since I played it.
WW - Very barren. I mean, island hopping kind of got tedious, especially having to change the wind all the time. And it took forever to get from place to place.
TP - Almost as barren as WW, except on land. Still took forever to get from place to place even on the horse.

So yeah, a reduced overworld that is easily passed through to get from point A to point B sounds fine to me. Especially since I've never felt the "sense of exploration" in any of the 3D Zelda games that some seem to have had. Certainly nothing even remotely comparable to an RPG like Skies of Arcadia or Xenoblade.

Combine said:
I'm looking forward to the sky as the overworld actually.

My opinion, I've never really liked the overworlds of the 3D Zelda games, with maybe Majora's Mask being the exception, but the time limit kind of hampered exploring it much. I felt they all kind of were barren and empty to be honest.

OOT - Pretty barren, and yeah, I just played the 3DS game and it still was.
MM - Not so barren, but you had to kind of rush through it because of the time limit. I'll be honest though and say I don't remember the game that well since it has been forever since I played it.
WW - Very barren. I mean, island hopping kind of got tedious, especially having to change the wind all the time. And it took forever to get from place to place.
TP - Almost as barren as WW, except on land. Still took forever to get from place to place even on the horse.

So yeah, a reduced overworld that is easily passed through to get from point A to point B sounds fine to me. Especially since I've never felt the "sense of exploration" in any of the 3D Zelda games that some seem to have had. Certainly nothing even remotely comparable to an RPG like Skies of Arcadia or Xenoblade.
I've NEVER thought of these places as overworlds. The 3D games don't have overworlds in the vein of the 2D games (haven't played SS), instead because of either technical limitations, or maybe design choice (certainly a combination of both with the N64 games) they act more as a hub leading to sub sections that are just as rich and dense as any 2D Zelda overworld. TP was the first time the designers thought to include interesting caves and caverns in the hub world but that sort of design lends itself better IMO in a 2D overhead Zelda.

Kjellson

I'm going up in five and a half hours but can't sleep because I can't stop thinking about this damn game. Only a couple of more days left.

hypehypehypehypehype

Maaan only one day of class left this week and a couple more assignments to finish up and then I have AN ENTIRE WEEK OFF TO DO NOTHING BUT PLAY ZELDA AND EAT THANKSGIVING FOOD. Thank you based evolution for bringing this stretch of events, billions of years in the making, to me

FatalT

Banned
Hiltz said:
Just curious, can Link perform that
sword sheath trick
like in Twilight princess?

Spoiler that please. I don't want to know what any special abilities are in the game until I play it. This better not be in it or else I'll be very upset at you!

Top Bottom