• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

fernoca

arrgh. Options... they didn't have the budget for options...
Though keep in mind that the cursor on screen is motion based. You can literally be pointing to the floor, while the cursor is still on the screen. Is not as fast as the one in the menu (which is IR-based); don't know if that' the reason as to why is relatively slower; but at least is an advantage, since you don't need to raise your arm/hand as much as in other games.

Ranger X said:
Also, how come I never heard anybody being annoyed by the HORRIBLE greasy depth of field effect in the game? The game better be fucking good because it's actually hurting my eyes. When I play a game I'm not looking at my fucking feet, I look ahead. Pretty far ahead. I need games to follow my natural focus --- wich this game doesn't. It's actually juste as bad (if not more) as Blue Dragon...
Well, many did complained. But it seems to be kind of an "acquired taste". I don't mind; like it too. A friend that was here today to see the game thought it looked really cool since it kinda gave the game a water color look/effect.

Just got done with the first dungeon.

It's...ok, so far. Jaggies like a MOTHAFUCKER, slow ass opening, and that first dungeon was the worst first dungeon I've played in a Zelda game since Forsaken Fortress.

Hopefully it'll get good!

Just got done with the first dungeon.

It's...ok, so far. Jaggies like a MOTHAFUCKER, slow ass opening, and that first dungeon was the worst first dungeon I've played in a Zelda game since Forsaken Fortress.

Hopefully it'll get good!

What the hell is my TV and Wii doing differently? I barely notice the jaggies :/

Thoraxes

Okay, so I'm using component cables for my Wii and during gameplay I can see horizontal lines across the screen, it's very faint, but it's there and it's pissing me off (as if the jaggies weren't bad enough, dear God).

Screen is set to 480p, Widescreen 16:9, no Screen Burn Reduction. What is happening?

Do more noise reduction from your TV's menu maybe? Game looks really good on my 40".

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I bought this game, dusted off the Wii and found that the cat ate my sensor bar cord.

So I got back in the car, drove through the rain and went to three stores, all of which only had aftermarket, 20 buck wireless sensor bars. Since I know what the sensor bar actually is, I refuse on principle to buy these. I then break down and just want to fucking play, so I get a 15 dollar one, and use a 5 dollar gift card I got for buying Uncharted. I drive all the way home through the rain and find - "requires 4 AAA batteries. Not included." Granted, this was on the box, but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

But by god I'm playing Zelda on launch day. I sat down and played the goddamn game using two tea candles as Sensor Bars.

I hate when the story twist your character into something you don't really like. They give you some dialogue choices that seem like they are going to matter but nothing seems to change. Early on you get the chance to tell one of the characters off and I was really hoping Link would just deck him Mass Effect style.
I hate to beat a dead horse here (this is an assumption) but this is part of recent Zelda games which make me feel like Nintendo takes few little risks on this series and a lot of the ways they change the game don't feel substantial enough even when they alter the gameplay mechanics.

fernoca

Probably got a CRTV/SDTV. Game looks its made out of jaggies on HDTV, even with 480p component cables. The jaggies are actually much worse then Twilight Princess which I played pretty recently.
Try reducing the sharpness (if you haven't already done so). When I played Wii on my Vizio; I had to put sharpness to "0", others had said similar things for other games...while other looked just fine.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, calling it a night as I've unlocked the entrance to
The Earth Temple
, so I have that to look forward to when I come home tomorrow.

jeremy1456

Probably got a CRTV/SDTV. Game looks its made out of jaggies on HDTV, even with 480p component cables. The jaggies are actually much worse then Twilight Princess which I played pretty recently.

I have an HDTV and component cables, but I barely notice except on character's mouths, or the occasional outlines of characters.

I bought this game, dusted off the Wii and found that the cat ate my sensor bar cord.

So I got back in the car, drove through the rain and went to three stores, all of which only had aftermarket, 20 buck wireless sensor bars. Since I know what the sensor bar actually is, I refuse on principle to buy these. I then break down and just want to fucking play, so I get a 15 dollar one, and use a 5 dollar gift card I got for buying Uncharted. I drive all the way home through the rain and find - "requires 4 AAA batteries. Not included." Granted, this was on the box, but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

But by god I'm playing Zelda on launch day. I sat down and played the goddamn game using two tea candles as Sensor Bars.

Dude, don't make me cry!! I feel your pain, man. Hey, at least you get to play while i wait for my copy to arrive on Tuesday at the end of day by UPS. Gotta hold out for one more day.

Meier

What the hell is my TV and Wii doing differently? I barely notice the jaggies :/

The jaggies are pretty intense if you're up close. Sitting on my couch though.. not too bad. Definite dithering and I notice the horizontal lines at times but the art direction for the game is undeniably stunning. I just got to the first dungeon myself but haven't played beyond that. Really loved the Link and Zelda stuff.. was kinda sad to see it end.

RPGCrazied

Been messing around with my new tablet today most of the day, trying to get the video to look good and work that I download, and finally I did. I've only played about 2 hours of Skyward Sword. I haven't even made it to the ground yet.

I did get the tunic, shield and goddess sword. When can you get the next bottle? I got the free one. Also, monster claws? I think they come from bats? Though I've went through plenty of those and nothing. Only drop I have so far is the slime goo.

About the slow text, actually it doesn't seem that slow, and you can hold the A button down and it scrolls faster, I don't see that complaint from people. The opening was not that long, I think TP was longer, but oh well. I hope tomorrow I can sink some major hours into this game.

Thoraxes

I just turned on noise reduction to high, sharpness down to 50, and color up to 75, and I sit 7' away from my TV. I barely notice them either. They're there though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You know, I am thankful that I am not too picky of a person--I mean, if I think the graphics are "good" than that just enough for me; I am not bothered at all with stuff like "jaggies" or "screen tearing" or "dithering" or any other technical terms associated with enjoyable graphics these days. If I feel that what I see is good, then it is good. If it is bad, than it is bad.

I understand that people are enjoying things differently from one another, and I suppose I am just the kind of person that can be easily pleased...

Well, regardless, I am thankful for my easy to pleased attitude I suppose: it helps in so many ways for my enjoyment of many games, including this one, without having the bothersome inner voice in the back of my had screaming "ANTI ALIASING!" all the time, hahaha.

Big One

Banned
Where is a good place to get blue feathers?
Blue Birds.

Here's a more easier way though:
Go into the cave where you went to get your bird, find the group of butterflies and play the heart. You can buy the three rare items (Blue Feather, Goddess Plume, and Golden Skull) in the game for a certain price from the revealed Sheikah Stone.

linkboy

Fuck this game, Ghirahim is really pissing me off. Fucking bastard.

I really don't like the controls, it seems like I'm fighting the controller just as much as I am fighting enemies. I've died more times due to the controller then I have to the actual enemies.

I swing horizontally, it doesn't register properly.

Ghirahim is owning my ass because of this.

Everything else is great. The game looks fantastic, just don't like the controls.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

I really don't like the controls, it seems like I'm fighting the controller just as much as I am fighting enemies. I've died more times due to the controller then I have to the actual enemies.

Everything else is great. The game looks fantastic, just don't like the controls.

Your experience is on the extremely other end of the spectrum against mine: the fight against Ghirahim was awesome. The motion+ really shines on that battle.

Magnus

The whole first boss fight was bullshit. Wasn't impressed, and Link definitely wasn't swinging the way I wanted him to. I ended up winning phase 1 every time by accident.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Blue Birds.

Here's a more easier way though:
Go into the cave where you went to get your bird, find the group of butterflies and play the heart. You can buy the three rare items (Blue Feather, Goddess Plume, and Golden Skull) in the game for a certain price from the revealed Sheikah Stone.

Any good place for blue birds? was looking around the forest and didn't see any.

I liked the first boss fight, but at the same time, if they went back to regular button controls, I wouldn't shed a tear. We'll see tomorrow when I get further into it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I've gotten past the second dungeon and am now trekking through
the Lanayru Desert
. The game is really starting to pick up now. The entire
Lanayru Desert
is beautiful as fuck. It's also very innovative with the
time stones
. I'm in constant awe at this area. It was also the first area I actually got stuck at what to do. I felt a little stupid when I figured it out, but it felt good to be stuck on a simple puzzle in the freaking pre-dungeon area.

The first two dungeons were not that bad to me. They were a little too short and easy, but it's probably just Nintendo still trying to ease new players into the game. They both had good bosses, especially the first one. The only reason
Ghirahim
was easy was because I played the demo. If I hadn't, he would have been tough. I really hope the next dungeon steps it up. Everything else about the game has been wonderful. If the rest of the dungeons impress me, Skyward Sword will easily land among my top Zelda games.

EDIT: You can get Monster Claws from bats? I should farm them instead of those damn black birds in
Faron Woods
. I can kill bats any day of the week. They also don't shit on my head. (On the plus side, those black birds taught me to become a master at the Slingshot.)

Yeah I can say with certainty 100% of my deaths were due to fighting with the controls. It's what adds to the 'difficulty' that everyone talks about. This definitely would be an easier game with pure buttons, because at least Link would do what I want him to do.

The whole first boss fight was bullshit. Wasn't impressed, and Link definitely wasn't swinging the way I wanted him to. I ended up winning phase 1 every time by accident.

Hmmm, there are a lot of polar opinions on this. I had absolutely no issues with that battle, and I thought everything was really responsive. I wonder why some people are having so many issues, while others have little or none.

This definitely would be an easier game with pure buttons, because at least Link would do what I want him to do.

That's not saying much considering all he would do is the same canned combo over and over.

Sinoox

Banned
What happened in this thread?

There's an abnormal number of people liking the game. Will this be the game that will top Ocarina of Time for more Zeldaers? wow...

Most people here haven't got to the backtracking sections where the game feels far less enticing than the start, but don't get me wrong those sections are still somewhat interesting.

Having beaten Skyward Sword I can't exactly say it's a better game than Ocarina of Time. If I were to just judge which is better based on how much fun I had I would choose Skyward Sword, because it was just a fucking blast thanks to the motion controls. I still feel Ocarina of Time had a more memorable world, characters, story and music though.

Ultimately when I look back I'm going to remember Ocarina of Time more fondly than Skyward Sword because back in the day Ocarina of Time set a plethora of standards for video games ranging from so many categories. On the other hand, Skyward Sword has set standards for motion control gaming; which is very commemorable but not as much so as Ocarina of Time's overall feats in my opinion.

Tiktaalik

In some alternate reality everyone would just assume that Zelda fell to her death and Link would end up with Peatrice the Item Check Princess.

Magnus

Did I miss a sensitivity setting somewhere? The cursor on screen is wayyyyyyyyyyyy to slow. I have to make enormous gestures to go reach the side of the screen...

Also, how come I never heard anybody being annoyed by the HORRIBLE greasy depth of field effect in the game? The game better be fucking good because it's actually hurting my eyes. When I play a game I'm not looking at my fucking feet, I look ahead. Pretty far ahead. I need games to follow my natural focus --- wich this game doesn't. It's actually juste as bad (if not more) as Blue Dragon...

Christ, I'm glad someone else said it.

Also, "undeniably amazing art direction" left the building when I landed on the surface, all the way to the beginning of the first dungeon. It's all just so brutal to look at.

I'm really torn. I seriously appreciate what they're trying to do with fun motion+ battles, but the execution just frustrated the hell out of me in practice. And I think Zelda worlds and characters have totally lost their charm on me. Everything about this game is making me angry, lol.

Time to back off and play something else for awhile.

I must say, I dig that they went with something totally against the grain for a first boss battle. That's refreshing. On paper at least.

I had absolutely no issues with that battle, and I thought everything was really responsive. I wonder why some people are having so many issues, while others have little or none.

Same. He was a lot of fun to fight.
I thought the
Stalfos
was gonna kill me on the first try though, turns out hes super easy.

Zekes!

I found the 1st boss to be awesome, and the controls worked fine for me. I was surprised at how many hits he took, I actually got kind of nervous towards the end of it (when I was low on health)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I felt like I was fighting the controls for a while too, until I made a few important realizations about how you have to move the sword to prepare for a strike and how you have to follow through. The best advice I can offer is this: its not designed to be played nearly as fast as I thought it was. Once I slowed down and really made my slashes deliberate it got a lot better.

Top Bottom