• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have to say, this show is already wayyyyyy better than Game of Thrones.
Pug GIF

Catphish

Yeah, I watched the latest episode last night, and I think the show is great.

The only substantial beef I have is, like I've said before, the black dwarf. But I just pretend she's got coal dust on her and needs a shower, and I'm good. (y)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yeah, I watched the latest episode last night, and I think the show is great.

The only substantial beef I have is, like I've said before, the black dwarf. But I just pretend she's got coal dust on her and needs a shower, and I'm good. (y)
Its so very Twilight Zone.. Princess Disa the actor interviews were obnoxious..but she's a great actress, has great presence, and considering what she's been given to work with (dialog plot ) she's been great, literally the one character most critics have grudgingly found good.. (now I think the singing to stone was stupid..but thats not her fault she did as good as anyone was gonna do with that.)

Catphish

Its so very Twilight Zone.. Princess Disa the actor interviews were obnoxious..but she's a great actress, has great presence, and considering what she's been given to work with (dialog plot ) she's been great, literally the one character most critics have grudgingly found good.. (now I think the singing to stone was stupid..but thats not her fault she did as good as anyone was gonna do with that.)
Yeah it's fucking with me. On one hand, her performance in the last episode was really good. She's a good actress, plays the role well, and has a certain attractiveness that commands attention.

On the other hand, black dwarves make. no. goddamned. fucking. sense. :messenger_pouting:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So personally i couldn't care less about the race of actors playing fantasy races in film or TV.
I only care that they are trying to make our worlds racial issues take precidence over the actual stories intent. So its not a black actor playing a dwarf its about now there are black dwarves as in black of our world not the stories world.. i hate that shit.
I love the klingons and couldn't tell you how many were of what race..they all looked like, acted like, talked like Klingons

So get the makeup out and make everyone up to look like what they are portraying and we all can get back to the actual acting and story telling and not these "they took our jerbs!" "You people" tropes

sol_bad

Watched the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring last night with the wife for the first time. No idea why, but I just realised how up his own arse Elrond was. He blames their current predicament on mankind as a whole. Then the movie shows a flashback where Elrond just watches Isildur walk away and not destroy the ring. Elrond could have ended things right there. lol

Watched the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring last night with the wife for the first time. No idea why, but I just realised how up his own arse Elrond was. He blames their current predicament on mankind as a whole. Then the movie shows a flashback where Elrond just watches Isildur walk away and not destroy the ring. Elrond could have ended things right there. lol
What would he have done? Take on the Numenoreans?

I’m not saying it’s the best show ever but I am enjoying it for what it is.
Yeah, but don’t people get bothered by the terrible writing? So many things don’t make sense. The lines are so bad and the delivery makes it even worse. It just baffles me. I still think most people enjoying the show are only half-watching the show. It’s typical of our generation, right.

Duellist

Yeah, but don’t people get bothered by the terrible writing? So many things don’t make sense. The lines are so bad and the delivery makes it even worse. It just baffles me. I still think most people enjoying the show are only half-watching the show. It’s typical of our generation, right.
That’s the thing I don’t find the writing all that bad or at the very least it doesn’t bother me. I found Wheel of time to be way worse. Whatever, it is what it is. Concerning the generation depends which generation you’re talking about. I’m 47 years old, an avid dnd player and have been reading fantasy books since I was 12.

Fbh

I don’t know, I don’t find this show near as bad as some of you make it out to be. 🤷‍♂️

It's fun enough if you don't care too much about it being faithful to the source material.

It's an average show with average modern writing but really really nice production values which at least to me are a big part of the fun factor.

If you took an average show like the Netflix Witcher or The Wheel of Time with the exact same actors and writing but gave it 10x the budget they would probably be more fun too.

Bragr

Banned
A lot of people are like this. Just pay attention to the people who love this, it's the same people who love Marvel movies and the new Star Wars movies. They like everything. It's no use discussing what works and what does not with them, they don't get it.

Batiman

Banned
A lot of people are like this. Just pay attention to the people who love this, it's the same people who love Marvel movies and the new Star Wars movies. They like everything. It's no use discussing what works and what does not with them, they don't get it.
You’re must be too intelligent for this show. “They just don’t get it” lol you can’t be serious? You’re dedication to shitting on this show or anyone that’s enjoying it is pretty funny ngl. The same few others just as dedicated as you that were writing this off before there was even a trailer.

Last edited:

Braag

First few episodes were a little boring but I'm starting to enjoy the show more with the latest episode. It has a different vibe to the LotR trilogy. I'm liking it more than the Hobbit movies at least.

Some people were wishing for this to be some super deeply written TV show with every scene having a theme and some deep meaning so these people could analyse every episode and scene while sniffing their own farts that how intelligent they are.
But instead it's just an entertaining enough TV show meant for the whole family I guess.

Bragr

Banned
You’re must be too intelligent for this show. “They just don’t get it” lol you can’t be serious? You’re dedication to shitting on this show or anyone that’s enjoying it is pretty funny ngl. The same few others just as dedicated as you that were writhing this off before there was even a trailer.
What do you think about marvel movies?

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
He would have failed too. No one can willingly destroy the ring. If he had taken the ring from Isildur, he would then take it for himself. It took Gollum and divine intervention to destroy the ring.

I'm glad this show is putting in the work showing Isildur is a good kid. The movie made him come across as a jerk because there is only a few scenes and there all of him corrupted. But the other texts male him (and his family) seem like good people. It is supposed to be tragic he failed to destroy the ring. That someone noble and strong like him allowed evil to endure

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
He would have failed too. No one can willingly destroy the ring.
Bingo, like that scene with Galadriel in the movie where she fantasized about taking the ring, Elrond would also have turned into a dark lord of sorts. That's why Gandalf was terrified of touching it too.

You can actually see how Gandalf reacts to it when Frodo takes the ring, he thought Frodo might get affected, but he sees that Frodo can withstand the power because he comes from a relatively young "powerless" race, and he senses the hope.

sol_bad

He would have failed too. No one can willingly destroy the ring. If he had taken the ring from Isildur, he would then take it for himself. It took Gollum and divine intervention to destroy the ring.

I'm glad this show is putting in the work showing Isildur is a good kid. The movie made him come across as a jerk because there is only a few scenes and there all of him corrupted. But the other texts male him (and his family) seem like good people. It is supposed to be tragic he failed to destroy the ring. That someone noble and strong like him allowed evil to endure

It makes Elrond even worse, he thinks he is above humans and yet lets a human take the burden of carrying the ring. Elves are far stronger than humans and surely could carry the burden of the ring for longer than a human before giving in to the ring. Just cut Isildur's hand off and kick the hand with ring into the fire. LOL

Batiman

Banned
What do you think about marvel movies?
What a stupid fuckin question.

I grew up with marvel cartoons and comics etc. So of course I enjoy the MCU. Well more than half the films. Do I consider them cinematic masterpieces? No. They’re fun comic movies brought to life with over the top ridiculousness that I enjoy watching with my son growing up.

A also love Laurence of Arabia, taxi Driver, Indiana Jones and consider apocalypse now as one of my favourite movies ever. I probably enjoy a lot of the movies you enjoy. Doesn’t mean I try and act like I’m smart ass that’s smarter than everyone else. I enjoy a wide variety of films.

Get your head out of your ass with that stupid question

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I like MOST Marvel movies... Didn't care for Love and Thunder... Kinda iffy on Doctor Strange 2 but Wanda and the Illuminati saved it for me. The pacing was my major problem but the spectacle was dope!

Sequel trilogy was TRASH! WASTED Fin and Poe, made Kelly Marie Tran's character into a sjw joke, mishandled Leia and Luke and Chewey and Lando and the former Stormtroopers... Focused TOO much on Rey and Kylo and introduced stuff in one movie and never revisited it in the next ... And Snoke SHOULD have been the big bad... But no, they bring back Palpatine! WTF?!?! Fin was supposed to be Force Sensitive and they just kept making him a joke. Same with Poe.

Before you make blanket statements about what people like, maybe don't make broad assumptions and just... ASK?

Bragr

Banned
What a stupid fuckin question.

I grew up with marvel cartoons and comics etc. So of course I enjoy the MCU.
You should have just stopped right there.

I'm not here to flame people's taste, but when you come across people who enjoy recent DC, Marvel, Star Trek, Star Wars AND the new LOTR show. Well. There is a pattern here.

It's like when you meet someone who believes in ghosts, and you are sure whatever, but then they say they believe in not only ghosts, but goblins, and jesus, and bigfoot, and flat earth and this and that, and you see a pattern. They just don't get it.

darrylgorn

I can only assume people like are only half-paying attention while watching this show. Not that there’s anything bad with that. I just don’t see how anyone cannot see the glaring problems on the show, starting with the most important part - the writing.

This seems like more of a subjective expectation. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near the level of finesse with which PJ crafted the films and obviously I wouldn't expect this to be as eloquent as the books or rigidly adhere to the lore (which is probably the most laughable criticism).

I was hoping for at least as good as Shadow of Mordor/War and it's obviously much better than that.

And as I said before, it's certainly better than GoT unless you like that kind of convoluted nonsense.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
You should have just stopped right there.

I'm not here to flame people's taste, but when you come across people who enjoy recent DC, Marvel, Star Trek, Star Wars AND the new LOTR show. Well. There is a pattern here.

It's like when you meet someone who believes in ghosts, and you are sure whatever, but then they say they believe in not only ghosts, but goblins, and jesus, and bigfoot, and flat earth and this and that, and you see a pattern. They just don't get it.
You can’t be serious with this shit? Why am I getting lumped in on DC, Star Wars, Star Trek etc in this conversation?

Nice assumptions you made of my interests. You do realize there’s like 30 or whatever marvel movies and a person could enjoy “some” of them at not all right?

Please reread you’re nonsense

sol_bad

If an individual is going to shit all over every single contemporary pop culture release by default, their opinion in that area is dead to me. Doesn't mean I wouldn't agree with that individuals opinion on hundreds of other movies released throughout the decades.

Madflavor

Gold Member
The show is average. I think that's the most honest and fair thing I or anyone else can say about it. I don't think it's bad, nor do I think it's particularly good either. The visuals are amazing, but the quality of the rest of the show is all over the place. Some storylines are interesting, others not so much. The dialogue definitely isn't good and the acting is overall serviceable enough. There is definite issues with the pacing, and I don't find the slow burn "It's taking it's time" to be a valid excuse. Stories like Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings hooked me in their first hour. If I don't feel hooked into RoP after 4 hours, there's a problem. But like I said, overall it's average.

I think the problem is that "average" isn't acceptable for this property, nor for the budget they're throwing at it.

Bragr

Banned
You can’t be serious with this shit? Why am I getting lumped in on DC, Star Wars, Star Trek etc in this conversation?

Nice assumptions you made of my interests. You do realize there’s like 30 or whatever marvel movies and a person could enjoy “some” of them at not all right?

Please reread you’re nonsense
Nah, you misunderstand, It's not about that, it's about misjudging writing, cinematography, and acting over and over and over. We all can like some bad things, but there are many on here that are completely oblivious to what they are talking about and enjoy watching garbage strewn across the floor because they don't even understand what garbage is.

It's perfectly fine to like the LOTR tv show or some Marvel movies, I honestly don't think it's terrible, but there are clear problems with the LOTR show, and the recent Marvel movies have been the worst they have ever been. And if people can't see any of the issues with the LOTR show AND they can't see how bad something like Doctor Strange 2 or the new Thor is, I would say they have incredibly bad taste and understanding of cinema.

I don't know your tastes or what you think about it, I never singled you out.

It makes Elrond even worse, he thinks he is above humans and yet lets a human take the burden of carrying the ring. Elves are far stronger than humans and surely could carry the burden of the ring for longer than a human before giving in to the ring. Just cut Isildur's hand off and kick the hand with ring into the fire. LOL

Do everyone a favor. Stop talking. You have zero fucking idea what you are talking about.

First few episodes were a little boring but I'm starting to enjoy the show more with the latest episode. It has a different vibe to the LotR trilogy. I'm liking it more than the Hobbit movies at least.

Some people were wishing for this to be some super deeply written TV show with every scene having a theme and some deep meaning so these people could analyse every episode and scene while sniffing their own farts that how intelligent they are.
But instead it's just an entertaining enough TV show meant for the whole family I guess.

Its Tolkien. There are tons of people dedicating their lives on legit university degrees studying his works. It should be better.

Its Tolkien. There are tons of people dedicating their lives on legit university degrees studying his works. It should be better.

Oh don’t worry - we have “Tolkien Scholars” getting paid to shill for this shitty show!

I will never understand how people are trying to use him as an excuse that this show is actually good. The bastard litearlly got paid all expenses for a nice vacation, a journalist package, and suddenly comes out with a “high quality” (in terms of technical aspects ONLY) YouTube show? Amazon is clearly paying him some big bucks to defend this trash. Which means his opinion means fucking nothing.

Konnor

I can only assume people like are only half-paying attention while watching this show. Not that there’s anything bad with that. I just don’t see how anyone cannot see the glaring problems on the show, starting with the most important part - the writing.

I've watched the last two episodes on my second monitor while playing Cult of the Lamb and I was still getting annoyed by the shitty CW writing and terrible characters...

Kimahri

Banned
I've gotta say, I find it weird how much people praise the production values. Yes, it has nice cgi, but house of the dragon has superior sets and costumes. Everything in HotD looks handmade, worn and purposeful.

RoP just looks mass produced and cheap in comparison.

Wow, you really don't get how the ring works do you? Elrond knows full and well that just picking up the ring for a second is all it takes for that ring to take hold of you. In Elrond's hands it would be a disaster.

Yeah, elves are stronger, which is why they need to stay away from it. The ring would use that strength, not the other way around.

Gandalf leaves the ring with Frodo for a reason.

sol_bad

I've gotta say, I find it weird how much people praise the production values. Yes, it has nice cgi, but house of the dragon has superior sets and costumes. Everything in HotD looks handmade, worn and purposeful.

RoP just looks mass produced and cheap in comparison.

Wow, you really don't get how the ring works do you? Elrond knows full and well that just picking up the ring for a second is all it takes for that ring to take hold of you. In Elrond's hands it would be a disaster.

Yeah, elves are stronger, which is why they need to stay away from it. The ring would use that strength, not the other way around.

Gandalf leaves the ring with Frodo for a reason.

I know how the ring works but the movie and/or Tolkien aren't good with following through on the power of the ring. If the ring has an instant effect, Isildur shouldn't have been able to walk all the way up the mountain to the mouth of the volcano, he should have turned away straight away. And again, like I suggested, Elrond doesn't have to directly touch the ring.

Hell, if Elrond knows how powerful the ring is, it shouldn't have been just Isildur and himself that walked up the mountain. No one should have been holding it directly, it should have been wrapped up in something.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I know how the ring works but the movie and/or Tolkien aren't good with following through on the power of the ring. If the ring has an instant effect, Isildur shouldn't have been able to walk all the way up the mountain to the mouth of the volcano, he should have turned away straight away. And again, like I suggested, Elrond doesn't have to directly touch the ring.

Hell, if Elrond knows how powerful the ring is, it shouldn't have been just Isildur and himself that walked up the mountain. No one should have been holding it directly, it should have been wrapped up in something.
Isildur pickes up the ring as soon as it fell to the ground. What was Elrond to domwrestle it from him?

And the power is followed through just fine. It's not like you pick up the ring and go "pooowwwaaahhhh!"

But walking to a destination with intent in mind, and following through are two very different things.

Tolkien wrote the destruction of the ring like the smart guy he was. No one destroyed it, no one had the power to destroy it. It got destroyed by accident, when two individuals fight over it, Gollum bites Frodo, then falls over and into the fire.

The way I read it, is that the ring influences you from the moment you hold it, but if you put it in danger, it's claws out like a defense mode.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

He didn't. Not in the books anyway ASAIK. After Isildur took the ring on the battlefield, Elrond and Cirdan were the only ones who saw what he did. They tried to advise him to destroy the ring, but Isildur was having none of it.

‘”This I will have as weregild for my father, and my brother,”

Elrond and Cirdan had little choice but to let him walk off with it. It's not as if they could strike him down in front of his men and take it by force.

Top Bottom