• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Season 1

Ironbunny

yeah i know that but i was just saying that i found it funny that people thought it could be sauron. i didn't know it was a woman playing the role until i checked out imdb when i was watching the episode.

also my other post i said:

Whats funny about it? Sauron is a shape shifter. I havent read Silmarillion so I dont know much about the time that is potrayed in this series.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I know who Sauron is. The fat little friend of Nori the harfoot. She is too annoying not to be evil, especially after she started to sing some corny song that morphed into a studio recording.

It makes all the sense in the world, she didn't like the new comet guy, she knows he is Gandalf.

She's gonna eat him.

Whats funny about it? Sauron is a shape shifter. I havent read Silmarillion so I dont know much about the time that is potrayed in this series.
oh fuck sake lol. i know he can shape shift but most people think of him as a dude.

iFhwTc2.jpg

in all my time of being a LOTR fan i don't think i've ever seen anyone refer to Sauron as a being a woman.

Last edited by a moderator:

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Quote:
"Every episode continues to be better than the last and this one was no exception."

well that is true.. as they say when your at the bottom the only way is up.
edit for clarity what what i was replying to sorry

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I know who Sauron is. The fat little friend of Nori the harfoot. She is too annoying not to be evil, especially after she started to sing some corny song that morphed into a studio recording.

It makes all the sense in the world, she didn't like the new comet guy, she knows he is Gandalf.

She's gonna eat him.

I’ve made some predictions. You should have seen them.

jason10mm

Gold Member
oh fuck sake lol. i know he can shape shift but most people think of him as a dude.

iFhwTc2.jpg

in all my time of being a LOTR fan i don't think i've ever seen anyone refer to Sauron as a being a woman.
I dunno, the idea of a woman playing Sauron, AS A MAN, in order to create a bit of uncanny valley dissonance, is pretty neat. In today's climate I'm not sure saying transmen are creepy is really acceptible but if you go with kind of a Tilda Swinton in Constantine thing that Sauron is actually sexless or something then it could work.

TheShocker

Political drama aside with this show….it’s just boring. And bad. It could have been amazing. It’s better than the Halo show though so that is something.

Kimahri

Banned
What a strange episode.

- Isuldur's sister, why is she so extreme that she wants to stop the entire war campaign to keep him at home? and why did her idiot boyfriend blow up those ships just because she told him to, he would get executed if caught.
- 3 ships? that's all they are sending to invade middle-earth? and their original plan was 5 ships? there are old viking battles with 250 ships fighting, why was the great Numenorian fleet only 5 ships?
- The lost king guy, he was convinced to fight just because Galadrian said something about being exiled? he was so moved by that he is willing to go back to middle-earth? huh? what a terrible arch he got.
- Galadriel doesn't feel like a elf, but more like a schoolteacher.
- Why do the orcs wait and wait before they rush the tower?
- The human women, the girlfriend of the elf, her face is pure botex and it looks weird when she speaks
- The galadriel vs guard fight was overdramatized, they were trying to chop off her head and shit

Watching this, one can't help but wonder how awesome this could have been if it was written well. There are so much cool stories here that could have been told.
3 ships is a direct result of theze incompetent buffoons who somehow got the job to write this show.

They clearly know nothing about history. Nothing about war history, anf nobody at any point considered askin a historian or military expert for input. They're too bloody arrogant.

Still, I expect there to be 1000s of soldiers once they make land. Because reasons.

Alex11

- 3 ships? that's all they are sending to invade middle-earth? and their original plan was 5 ships? there are old viking battles with 250 ships fighting, why was the great Numenorian fleet only 5 ships?
I really can't understand, 5 ships, then the thing happens, I said they can't really give a go with only 3 ships, with what? 50 people on a single ship?

I remember the battles in LOTR with thousands, with what was then, divided and scattered humans, are they really saying the great Numenor are sending 3 ships like they're going on a vacation?

pramod

Banned
My own crazy guess is that
Bronwyn
is Sauron. Because the existence of this character has so far served no other useful purpose in the story.

Also because
why would her son be drawn to that sword and can activate it?

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I really can't understand, 5 ships, then the thing happens, I said they can't really give a go with only 3 ships, with what? 50 people on a single ship?

I remember the battles in LOTR with thousands, with what was then, divided and scattered humans, are they really saying the great Numenor are sending 3 ships like they're going on a vacation?
What happened to the 4th ship? I couldn’t tell!

Alex11

My own crazy guess is that
Bronwyn
is Sauron. Because the existence of this character has so far served no other useful purpose in the story.

Also because
why would her son be drawn to that sword and can activate it?
Well, acording to the leaks you might be wrong.

Alex11

Well if the leaks are true then they pretty much changed the whole story of how Sauron ended up on Numenor. This show would be even more reviled by fans than it is now.
Yeah, I really don`t know what to feel about that leak, I caved after today's episode and read it.

pramod

Banned
Anyone else notice that theyve done nothing yet to setup how eventually Pharazon usurps the throne, at least how it happens in the books. I wonder if they are going to throw that out entirely and come up with their own idea.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I was doing some research and Desoto came to the US with 7 ships and that carried 600 soldiers horses and weapons. So maybe with 3 ships you can get 200 soldiers horses and establish a beachhead. Then bring more troops with each trip.

I assume it is computer generated so they could make more ships. But I think they chose 3 because that is all that fit the design of their harbor. A harbor so poorly designed the large ships do not dock. The amount of effort it would take to get all your supplies and animals on ships that don’t dock would be silly.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Anyone else notice that theyve done nothing yet to setup how eventually Pharazon usurps the throne, at least how it happens in the books. I wonder if they are going to throw that out entirely and come up with their own idea.
They've done plenty.

A - He's basically building support amongst the guild leaders to hack him. First scene with him is him talking to Tamar, who is the dude who has been rabblerousing. There is clearly an understanding between them. Perhaps his actions are at Pharazons direction. Plus look at his shoulder. He has badges for all the guilds in the country. In other words, he has the support of all of the money in the kingdom.

2 - Tar-Palantir is clearly on his last leg and will age out pretty soon. In the book this is important because it is when the king dies that he siezes his chance and forces Miriel to marry him, making him King.

Give it some time. They're doing a good job of having him play the long game.

Hardensoul

I was doing some research and Desoto came to the US with 7 ships and that carried 600 soldiers horses and weapons. So maybe with 3 ships you can get 200 soldiers horses and establish a beachhead. Then bring more troops with each trip.

I assume it is computer generated so they could make more ships. But I think they chose 3 because that is all that fit the design of their harbor. A harbor so poorly designed the large ships do not dock. The amount of effort it would take to get all your supplies and animals on ships that don’t dock would be silly.
Ships shown were too small for the horses! So they leaving the Calvary behind?

Kimahri

Banned

We clearly saw the ships as they left though. Not one of them could hold a 100 soldiers. This isn't an army. It's a band.

Hardensoul

soto113.jpg

This is what desoto used. Not really any bigger. Don’t underestimate previous generations ability to cram people on something.
I had chance to actually look at the picture! Those ships are replicas and they don’t look like the same size! The certainly don’t look like Spanish Galleons with multiple decks.

De Soto was task to conquer and he would be using Spanish Galleons which can hold 150 or more people.

https://www.worldhistory.org/Spanish_Galleon/

pramod

Banned
They've done plenty.

A - He's basically building support amongst the guild leaders to hack him. First scene with him is him talking to Tamar, who is the dude who has been rabblerousing. There is clearly an understanding between them. Perhaps his actions are at Pharazons direction. Plus look at his shoulder. He has badges for all the guilds in the country. In other words, he has the support of all of the money in the kingdom.

2 - Tar-Palantir is clearly on his last leg and will age out pretty soon. In the book this is important because it is when the king dies that he siezes his chance and forces Miriel to marry him, making him King.

Give it some time. They're doing a good job of having him play the long game.
Sorry what i meant was and now that you already explained it, is how does Pharazon "force" the queen to marry him? I dont know how they explained it in the books but i look at these two characters as they are in the show and i cant see how we arrive at that outcome.

I mean if they dropped some signs that Muriel was in love with Pharazon then they could have used one variation of the story where she willingly marries him.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I found a photo of Desoto landing in Florida.

desotolanding.jpg
That’s still an artist rendition, not actual photo. Photography not invented until 1800s. De Soto campaign was in 1540s.

Even the ship size looked off. Look at the cannon holes on the ship. They look small from a distance in the picture.

My article link also had pictures of Spanish Galleons! Not saying they are exact but you can imagine the proportions of multiple decks and how horses can fit in those ships.

Bragr

Banned
The Numenorians are supposed to make Gondor and Rohan seem like pussies, they are the ubermensch incarnate, they are not a few kids at the dock trying to get a spot on a ship, they are supposed to be hardcore warriors. The potential missed here is endless.

This is how the Numenorians should be coming to Middle-earth, like gods coming to cleanse the lands of orc filth.

space-marines.gif

Hardensoul

The Numenorians are supposed to make Gondor and Rohan seem like pussies, they are the ubermensch incarnate, they are not a few kids at the dock trying to get a spot on a ship, they are supposed to be hardcore warriors. The potential missed here is endless.

This is how the Numenorians should be coming to Middle-earth, like gods coming to cleanse the lands of orc filth.

space-marines.gif
They were unrivaled as fighters and would not be easily defeated or trained by tiny Galadriel especially 2-4 against 1. Maybe those were just amateurs! 🤷‍♂️

That training scene fight is so bad. Needed heavy editing and still looked bad.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
That’s still an artist rendition, not actual photo. Photography not invented until 1800s. De Soto campaign was in 1540s.

Even the ship size looked off. Look at the cannon holes on the ship. They look small from a distance in the picture.

My article link also had pictures of Spanish Galleons! Not saying they are exact but you can imagine the proportions of multiple decks and how horses can fit in those ships.
I appreciate your sincere reply. The photo was a joke. This will be my last post on desoto and his ships. But you can pm me if you want to talk more.

i doubt he used a galleon as a ship due to their first use was in mid 16th (1550) century and they were first used to defend against Barbary pirates. Desoto came to Florida with all his plans in 1539. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it isn’t likely. He probably was in a Carrack as it was the common Spanish ship for exploration.

I do not want to be accused of a derail. I was just pointing out you could get 200 soldiers in 3 ships. Even though it looked dumb on the show.

I also like history.

Hardensoul

I appreciate your sincere reply. The photo was a joke. This will be my last post on desoto and his ships. But you can pm me if you want to talk more.

i doubt he used a galleon as a ship due to their first use was in mid 16th (1550) century and they were first used to defend against Barbary pirates. Desoto came to Florida with all his plans in 1539. I’m not saying it’s impossible but it isn’t likely. He probably was in a Carrack as it was the common Spanish ship for exploration.

I do not want to be accused of a derail. I was just pointing out you could get 200 soldiers in 3 ships. Even though it looked dumb on the show.

I also like history.
No problem, I will drop the discussion of De Soto.

But in the show 200 in those 3 ships will be really packed and not much room for supplies. Definitely no room for any horses! IMO

Btw, don’t go on the Rings of Power subreddit. Not only a hive mind but a bunch of retarded threads which distort what Tolkien has written to fit their narrative that this show is faithful to Tolkien. Like the fact that orcs cannot stand in the sun in RoP.

That is Reddit in general. A site full of mentally ill dipshits, most of which have drank the kool-aid.

Top Bottom