• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The neighbor's dog went inside their house, and the neighbor scolds you for doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

These two get me.

I'm wondering whether I should help them in the future

You should talk to the neighbors about the issue instead of severing ties if- again- you value the relationship.

You messed up her house by refusing to get clarification about her rules,and indeed, I don't know too many people who let other people's dogs in and out of the house willy nilly unless they are absolutely certain of the animal's boundaries or are specifically asked to do so. I would never handle an animal in any person's home in regards to letting it in and out of areas without permission from the owner, and if I had an outdoor dog, or even had the dog crated for some reason, I'd be absolutely pissed if anyone assumed they could walk into my house and let him inside as well.

Overall, it was absolutely disrespectful what you did, and she has the right to be upset about it and demand that you fix the issue that you caused yourself about regardless of past favors. I think that's the thing that's getting me with the tone of this thread. People are hinging part of this issue on you watching her children, when you watching her children has nothing to do with the actual grievance at hand. Again, if her tone was the issue, talk to her about it. But you don't mess up people's houses.

Wazzy

Banned
The dog isn't neglected, but everybody else is busy, so they have a little time with the dog. I wish the neighbor got a dog that doesn't shed so it could more likely stay inside and not spread fur everywhere. I do wish the daughter spends more time with the dog so that the dog would have 1 more playmate. So far I'm the playmate.
...so the dogs being neglected.

Oppo

steal the dog. make no contact with the neighbour.

seriously though, if you live in a place with winter or hot summers, i'd call and report neglect, if the dog really does live outside. no one in the city has "outdoor dogs", maybe farms.

I made a drunk thread that got out of hand and took the "L" as the kids say. But thanks for keeping tabs on me.

lol, that was not a "drunk thread" even if you were drunk. that was an "i don't understand basic human interaction" thread.

the reason i pointed it out is because it's strange that you, of all people, would make fun of somebody's social skills. i don't think you're allowed to do that anymore.

lol, that was not a "drunk thread" even if you were drunk. that was an "i don't understand basic human interaction" thread.

the reason i pointed it out is because it's strange that you, of all people, would make fun of somebody's social skills. i don't think you're allowed to do that anymore.

Okay.

To his defense, it started out sounding like a drunk thread. I was really tired because of an erratic sleep schedule.

i sure wish some of the people replying to this thread would consider reading between the lines a little bit before they say the things they're saying.

After further review, it sounds like your neighbor treats you like a child. I don't know how old you are or your situation, but being scolded is disrespectful to adults and does not always end well for the scolder.

Verelios

You looked after her daughter from 7 AM? At a skating rink? In the morning?

Haha, okay, I see why she'd just scold you and forget it. My answer to that favor would've been two words: Fuck that.

Nepenthe

Part of being a person that has other people in your life is that sometimes those other people will do things that annoy or inconvenience you, entirely without intending to. Part of not being an asshole is just rolling with that stuff in a good-natured way, within reason.

My threshold for tolerating the quirks and inconveniences of human behavior stops at letting an animal inside someone's house without the owner's permission and letting it get hair all over the place. I am a dog lover and dog owner, however I respect other owner's wishes and boundaries within reason. If someone has an outdoor dog, I wouldn't have the audacity to let it in without permission because that's not my dog nor my house. And I would expect the same respect in return with my animal. He sleeps in his crate; he's comfortable there, and half the time he just crates himself because he understands that's where his bed is. If someone who doesn't know my situation felt sorry for him because "omg he's in a crate" and let him up on the bed, I'd be pissed, because it's a flagrant disregard for my rules.

Just don't mess with other people's property and animals. This doesn't seem like a particularly hard thing to do.

Like, at best you help clean up after the first time. But being told to clean up as if it's a punishment? Nah, that ain't right.

I tell my friends all the time to clean up after their messes on the bounds of my property because they continuously leave shit for me to have to pick up, and I shouldn't have to clean up after people who are insisting they are adults. If you're an adult, don't leave people's houses worse than when you arrived, and don't get mad if your neighbor tells you to clean your mess.

big ander

You shouldntve vacuumed in the first place, even if you knew the house rules I can't imagine ever forcing a guest to clean my own house. Especially given you're taking care of her children apparently unpaid. It's great you want to be neighborly but don't let her abuse that

Fascinated at the multiple specific mentions of the skating rink, which doesn't seem pertinent

I was over at my neighbor's house, and I let the dog inside the house so the dog can play with the neighbor's daughter and I. I noticed that the dog doesn't get much love from her family, so why not? Unfortunately, the dog sheds a lot during this season so I should've de-shed her before letting her inside. There's a house rule that the dog can't be inside the house because of the shedding (I'm not sure why my neighbor got the dog in the first place if she won't bother with a bit of fur).

The day after, my neighbor asked me to come over again and scolded me for letting the dog inside the house. My neighbor did not like the fur she found on her couches when she had guests over. She made me vacuum the living room and scolded me more.

I was upset because even though I did help my neighbor recently by watching her daughter at a skating rink from 7AM to 12PM last Saturday and picked her daughter up from school when she was away 2 weeks ago, I still got yelled at and spent over an hour vacuuming,

What is the right response to this situation? I was being nice since my best friend is also her son, the neighbor is going through a rough divorce aftermath, and I didn't want anything bad to happen to the dog if I acted more like a jerk.

I hope it's clear that I was fine with vacuuming her couches, but she could've been much nicer to me because I picked up her daughter from school 2 weeks ago while my neighbor was away in another state, and I kept an eye on her daughter at a skating rink on a Saturday morning from 7AM to 12PM.

Edit: The neighbor asked me for those favors.
Every time I read this I get irrationally angry at you for not making any sense.

giphy.gif

You guys are being ridiculous.

OP I wouldn't have vacuumed that simply because it's their dog and yeah maybe you let it in but did they ever make clear before this incident that they do not want the dog inside?

You should talk to the neighbors about the issue instead of severing ties if- again- you value the relationship.

You messed up her house by refusing to get clarification about her rules,and indeed, I don't know too many people who let other people's dogs in and out of the house willy nilly unless they are absolutely certain of the animal's boundaries or are specifically asked to do so. I would never handle an animal in any person's home in regards to letting it in and out of areas without permission from the owner, and if I had an outdoor dog, or even had the dog crated for some reason, I'd be absolutely pissed if anyone assumed they could walk into my house and let him inside as well.

Overall, it was absolutely disrespectful what you did, and she has the right to be upset about it and demand that you fix the issue that you caused yourself about regardless of past favors. I think that's the thing that's getting me with the tone of this thread. People are hinging part of this issue on you watching her children, when you watching her children has nothing to do with the actual grievance at hand. Again, if her tone was the issue, talk to her about it. But you don't mess up people's houses.

It's one thing to fuck up and have your neighbor get mad at you, and maybe you offer to clean up the mess or they say something like "Next time if you let the dog in please clean up before you leave" but it is another thing entirely to not only demand to have him come over and clean the next day, but to berate and yell and chastise him for over an hour while he cleans. That is not ok, at all, full stop.

Pickman

i was referring to a different thread that he made a while ago. not this thread. you're good.

Think he's talking about the fact that before copious edits, this thread made absolutely no sense. The first couple pages of replies were because the information provided was completely irrelevant (referenced he was made to vacuum on 9/11) and not nearly as in depth as what's in the main post by OP now.

First, it sounds like the dog is being neglected. Divorce or not, it's not an excuse to neglect an animal that is incapable of taking care of themselves. Not only physically, but psychological as well.

You need to spend time /play with them. Feeding them is not enough, they need companionship. If the dog is being left outside in extreme temperatures or they're not providing enough drinking water, I would report them.

Second, if she was that rude to me especially after all the favors done for her, I would have told her off. If she had asked nicely, I would have still not done it but just apologized and left.

Mr. Robot

I hate when people don't tell you that they are not ok with something that is not obvious, and then they come up wih arguments hours/days later, as if they gathered the courage to tell you, they should have told you so the moment you let the dog in.

Hazmat

I can't be the only one picturing the neighbor as Susie Green from Curb Your Enthusiasm yelling at the OP as he sheepishly vacuums, right?

Sulik2

If your neighbors are smart enough dog owners to not let the dog into the house you should respect their house rules and not bring the dog in.

Nepenthe

It's one thing to fuck up and have your neighbor get mad at you, and maybe you offer to clean up the mess or they say something like "Next time if you let the dog in please clean up before you leave" but it is another thing entirely to not only demand to have him come over and clean the next day, but to berate and yell and chastise him for over an hour while he cleans. That is not ok, at all, full stop.

The only thing I feel is over the line is the berating and chastising. I've already said that that is wrong because, as an adult, OP doesn't deserve to be talked down to like a child. He deserves his respect and he should demand it from his friend.

However, people are literally saying they would outright refuse to clean their neighbor's place on the principle that it's either not a big deal (to them, although their feelings are irrelevant in the matter) or "it's their dog"which completely disregards the fact that they caused the situation, and in general it seems a lot of people don't have the good sense to ask about another dog's boundaries within its home. It's like these people just go to other's homes, slob around, and leave without even thinking about the mess and inconvenience the neighbor has to deal with afterwards.

I was raised on the value that you automatically leave a person's place better than when you came in. The way I apply this to animals is that I let the owner take the lead. If they're leaving the dog outside, that's where it stays. I have no right to open that door for it without permission. If I felt genuine concern about a dog's welfare as a result of the way a neighbor was keeping it, I would seriously discuss the matter and elevate it to an animal control issue if necessary.

Think he's talking about the fact that before copious edits, this thread made absolutely no sense. The first couple pages of replies were because the information provided was completely irrelevant (referenced he was made to vacuum on 9/11) and not nearly as in depth as what's in the main post by OP now.

I made a mention in this thread of the date 9/11 because I was told to come over to their house to vacuum the fur off the couch 2 days ago that came with her scolding. That part might be irrelevant, but she made a public Facebook post on 9/11, which might also be irrelevant.

My FB pals: Greetings folks!! Just stopping by to say hello. Do you know that today is 9/11? What a coincidence! In distress one calls 911 to the rescue in any form of danger or emergency. On 9/11, 2001 the US experienced one of its most devastating National tragedies, that grounded the famous World Trade Center in New York City, with many hundreds of lives lost. The cries and state of hopelessness in the air that day are still fresh in our minds.
At today's mass, a prayer was offered in memory of the dead and their families. The chill, the remembrance of what could have been, and of what is not, and of what is .... comes rushing through one's being. Then that still voice that asks ... "So what were you complaining about again?" And you hear yourself answer ... "Nothing; just nothing! I am ok; I am thankful for everything!" ....
I hope you feel this way ... Be thankful for today and make the best of what you have.. Tomorrow is too uncertain and too far to waste today thinking of it ...
You are here!! That is what is up...

Makes me wonder if she asked herself "So what were you complaining about again?"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I was over at my neighbor's house, and I let the dog inside the house so the dog can play with the neighbor's daughter and I. I noticed that the dog doesn't get much love from her family, so why not? Unfortunately, the dog sheds a lot during this season so I should've de-shed her before letting her inside. There's a house rule that the dog can't be inside the house because of the shedding (I'm not sure why my neighbor got the dog in the first place if she won't bother with a bit of fur).

The day after, my neighbor asked me to come over again and scolded me for letting the dog inside the house. My neighbor did not like the fur she found on her couches when she had guests over. She made me vacuum the living room and scolded me more.

I was upset because even though I did help my neighbor recently by watching her daughter at a skating rink from 7AM to 12PM last Saturday and picked her daughter up from school when she was away 2 weeks ago, I still got yelled at and spent over an hour vacuuming,

What is the right response to this situation? I was being nice since my best friend is also her son, the neighbor is going through a rough divorce aftermath, and I didn't want anything bad to happen to the dog if I acted more like a jerk.

I hope it's clear that I was fine with vacuuming her couches, but she could've been much nicer to me because I picked up her daughter from school 2 weeks ago while my neighbor was away in another state, and I kept an eye on her daughter at a skating rink on a Saturday morning from 7AM to 12PM.

Edit: The neighbor asked me for those favors.

I dunno, I'm okay with her asking for you to vacuum up the mess that was created.

Where I'm not okay is that she continuously berated you even after you agreed to clean up the mess. That's where you should have said "Look, again, I'm sorry about the whole thing and I'm happy to clean up the mess but please don't talk to me like I'm a child".

I was on OPs side until I read he knew the dog wasn't allowed in the house. You should have offered to clean before being asked to.

Ronin Ray

So how old are you and how old is your best friend. Why is your best friend not watching his sister. Forget the dog op if your a grown man considering a kid or teen your best friend then I think that something is really wrong here and your creepy as fuck .

Pickman

I made a mention in this thread of the date 9/11 because I was told to come over to their house to vacuum the fur off the couch 2 days ago that came with her scolding. That part might be irrelevant, but she made a public Facebook post on 9/11, which might also be irrelevant.

Makes me wonder if she asked herself "So what were you complaining about again?"

Dude, this lady sounds like a zero sum human being. Just no redeeming qualities.

Just because people don't treat their dogs the way you think a dog should be treated doesn't mean it's being neglected. Some people have outside dogs and some people have inside dogs. I remember growing up in my neighborhood everyone who had a dog had an outside dog. The dog only came in to eat dinner with the family or if it was extremely hot, snowing, or maybe you were having an event in the back yard and you didn't want the dog messing with the guests. This new family moved on the block and immediately started leaving letters in everyone's mailbox saying we were abusing our dogs and they were gonna report people if the dogs weren't transitioned to the inside. When we ignored them they called the city and then people started coming by and checking on the dogs, all of which were found to be perfectly fine. The city eventually told them to just leave everybody alone about the dogs and mind their own business.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
OP, you need to man up and not allow your neighbor to boss you around. Cleaning up the mess is more than enough. While we are at it, did you ever end up cleaning your freezers?

Jarlaxle

The dog is not an indoor dog. The OP knows this and willingly let the dog inside. Owner gets upset and asks him to clean the mess.

I don't see anything wrong with what the owner does up until this point.

The scolding may be a little far but there are things that aren't clear here either like how old the OP actually is, if he has been told multiple times not to let the dog inside, etc and how bad the "scolding" actually was.

If you aren't happy with the situation, stop doing favors for your neighbor and leave their dog and kids alone.

So how old are you and how old is your best friend. Why is your best friend not watching his sister. Forget the dog op if your a grown man considering a kid or teen your best friend then I think that something is really wrong here and your creepy as fuck .

Dude, this lady sounds like a zero sum human being. Just no redeeming qualities.

My best friend and I are in late teens. He has odd working schedule and he is sometimes away with his girlfriend.

She is right and I did disrespect her house rule, but I wish she was nicer because of favors I did recently and of the date. Nice as in the scolding part and her tone.

Nepenthe

My best friend and I are in late teens. He has odd working schedule and he is sometimes away with his girlfriend.

She is right and I did disrespect her house rule, but I wanted niceness because of favors I did recently and of the date.

So you're still a minor/barely a legal adult? And on top of that, you think you're owed pleasantries in the aftermath of disrespecting someone's house because of past favors?

The neighbor did absolutely nothing wrong. Take this as a learning opportunity and buck up.

Well if I caused a mess then yeah, I'd clean it up or at least offer to clean it up.

There wasn't a lot of mess, so I didn't see them. The dog's fur and the couch are similar in color. I only saw 2 golf ball sized fur while vacuuming.

I didn't pick up much dog fur after vacuuming everything on a couch, pillows, and underneath the couch. I mostly vacuumed dust.

Icefire1424

Alright, I'm going to take a shot at translating this. Hold on to your butts.

"I recently went over to my neighbors house. During my previous visits I've noticed that their family dog doesn't seem to get much attention, so I decided to to bring the dog indoors to play, despite a house rule stating that the dog is to be kept outside. In hindsight, I suppose I understand the need for the rule, as the dog does shed quite a bit this time of year. I'm not sure why a family with an aversion to dog hair would have acquired a canine known for its excessive shedding in the first place, but I digress.

The day after my visit, I was called over to my neighbors home. It seems my neighbor, a recently divorced mother of two, was quite upset that I let their dog in the previous day. You see, while the dog was indoors, it shed some fur, as dogs tend to do. That fur ended up on the floor, on the couch, and generally speaking, all throughout their abode. Clearly frustrated, my neighbor chastised me for allowing poochie into her home, demanding that I vacuum the dog hair which was strewn about.

Knowing that I was at fault for the dog hair, I obliged to her request, and spent over an hour vacuuming away all trace of the pups' presence. However, I can't help but feel a bit slighted in how I was treated, especially considering I have recently offered up my assistance to the family. For example, only two weeks ago I picked up my neighbors daughter from school when she needed to get home, and recently watched her during skating practice to ensure there would be a familiar face in the crowd. Additionally, as I happen to be good friends with my neighbors son, I felt obliged to take responsibility for the dog's mess, even if the neighbor's request for me to clean up was done so in a less than respectful manner.

And so I ask, dear reader, is how would you have responded if you found yourself in a similar predicament? Would you have cleaned up after the dog, nary a response in your defense despite some demeaning comments from your neighbor, or would you have stood up for yourself, instead informing said neighbor that you don't appreciate her comments, and perhaps suggest that she should pound salt for treating you in such a disrespectful manner?

Inquiring minds want to know."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom