• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

Bell is a cheat. Clearly knew he hit it, yet referred it anyway because he knows the technology is unreliable for those faint edges.

I still don't understand how it was overturned. The review was inconclusive, the original decision should stand.

The system is great and the technology works most of the time (apart from the rare occasion like today), but this just shows we'll never be able to get rid of human error.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
legend166 said:
Bell is a cheat. Clearly knew he hit it, yet referred it anyway because he knows the technology is unreliable for those faint edges.

I still don't understand how it was overturned. The review was inconclusive, the original decision should stand.

The system is great and the technology works most of the time (apart from the rare occasion like today), but this just shows we'll never be able to get rid of human error.

Yeah it was "out.......... check it, oh inconclusive, better overturn my decision then." He will be spewin once he see's a snicko replay.

scotcheggz

legend166 said:

:lol That's a bit strong isn't it? What about Hughes? Did he go up for the catch becuase he knows the DOF makes judging those close catches hard to call? Of course not, he more than likely wasn't sure so went up for it anyway. If Bell wasn't sure he hit that, why not review it?

I do agree that if it's inconclusive, then the umpires decision should stand.

legend166

scotcheggz said:
:lol That's a bit strong isn't it? What about Hughes? Did he go up for the catch becuase he knows the DOF makes judging those close catches hard to call? Of course not, he more than likely wasn't sure so went up for it anyway. If Bell wasn't sure he hit that, why not review it?

I do agree that if it's inconclusive, then the umpires decision should stand.

You always know if you hit it. You don't always know if you caught it. You definitely don't talk to the non-striker about it.

Besides, at the end of the day the correct decision was made for the Hughes catch. That's not the case here.

legend166 said:
You always know if you hit it. You don't always know if you caught it. You definitely don't talk to the non-striker about it.

Besides, at the end of the day the correct decision was made for the Hughes catch. That's not the case here.

Not true. You don't always know if you've hit it and I'm speaking from experience.

legend166 said:
I've played 12 years of cricket batting at the tail end. I nicked my fair share :lol

Then I find it incredibly hard to believe that you'll have known that you hit every one of them. It's possible, but not likely.

And it's certainly not something that is true in cricket.

Salazar

Snicko is fucking entertaining and dramatic, for one thing. I do want to know why (I presume it is the fact that it sometimes takes a while to register) they're not using it or contemplating its use.

Salazar

Great work, Bell.

England's lead will be a little bit larger than I expected. Maybe squeeze another 20 out of the rest.

scotcheggz

Salazar said:
Great work, Bell.

England's lead will be a little bit larger than I expected. Maybe squeeze another 20 out of the rest.

It was a class innings, Bell is always good to watch if he gets in.

I reckon Bresnan and Swann can put on 50 between them :D

Aww shit, it's over. Time for bed...

Grug

Not weighing into the Bell snick debate except to say that Aleem Dar is such a gun fucking umpire. More precise than technology.

Dar > Hotspot > Snicko > Hawkeye > All other umpires.

Salazar

Grug said:
Not weighing into the Bell snick debate except to say that Aleem Dar is such a gun fucking umpire. More precise than technology.

Or an undercover cyborg. I've never met the man, so I can't be sure either way.

Ashes

Banned
Are people seriously saying bell's one was worse? for shame. Hughes's one, clear as you like bounced in front of him. It's not a bad reflection on Australians cause a similar thing happened to Clarke, which was closer, and Clarke didn't appeal. You can always tell if it bounces just in front. Should not even have celebrated as jubilantly as he did if he was unsure, and was rightly looked into.

On the Bell issue, hotspot didn't pick it up on my 50" plasma hd and all, so obviously, with some people saying that they could see it on their tv, and others saying that it didn't, Bell, who didn't know, appealed for it. He said in the interview, that it was Prior who said, he didn't hit it and that he should have appealed for it. This system is going to get abused, even if it was supposed to only be for the howler. Bell ought to know if he hit it though, that's why he didn't appeal immediately. Batsmen have normally appealed very quickly.

Snicko thing is right though. Even if it does take a bit, these things rarely need to come to that situation, so perhaps should be brought in only in those specific case, the first time in this series just shows how rare it is. Although, the system is supposed to be only for the howler, this showed that batsmen will appeal in very close calls like this.

Aleem Dar is awesome though.

Grug

guidop said:
Been meaning to post this for ages, it has totally slipped my mind

Ashes entertainment. Go england

One of my faves :lol

Pretty embarrassing behaviour all round.

One of the best things about sport in Australia is that we don't need barbed wire separating different supporter groups... whether it be cricket, football, rugby, soccer...

Can't stand this sort of feraldom.

Tonche

Grug said:

Dar > Hotspot > Snicko > Hawkeye > All other umpires.

You needed to see Gould last night in the Sth Africa vs. India game. In one of the most tense sessions I've seen, he made two absolutely cracking decisions that were correct.

One was bat hitting pad and the other was the ball hitting the stumps and not dislodging the bails (though the South Africans went up for caught behind)

Best display of umpiring I've seen for ages

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Grug said:
Pretty embarrassing behaviour all round.

One of the best things about sport in Australia is that we don't need barbed wire separating different supporter groups... whether it be cricket, football, rugby, soccer...

Can't stand this sort of feraldom.

Well lets not get hasty, Bulldogs NRL supporters should be put in a cage.

Papa

Banned
So I finally saw the Phil Hughes catch. It looked to me as though it could've possibly bounced off his fingertips and into his hands. So why is everyone calling him a cheat and acting like it bounced well before his hands?

Grug

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Well lets not get hasty, Bulldogs NRL supporters should be put in a cage.

Yeah, by Rugby I meant Rugby Union.

Rugby League is a blight on on the earth and wasn't included. :lol

Ashes

Banned
matt404au said:
So I finally saw the Phil Hughes catch. It looked to me as though it could've possibly bounced off his fingertips and into his hands. So why is everyone calling him a cheat and acting like it bounced well before his hands?

You and I are not seeing the same footage perhaps... It's not that big a deal, but still it's something that's clear to me at least. Here

artist

Banned
LMAO at the people claiming it bounced in Hughes' hands .. truly insane. Also Hughes being unsure is also big load of crap, you know a bump catch right away as the ball came into his hands from the ground up (upwards) and his fingers were no where near.

SA v IND match setup very nicely. Kallis' the man right now - century number 40. No matter what the outcome of this match, the series has been pure awesome, unlike the Ashes.

Ashes

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Dudes being an Irfan.

Hughes thought he might have caught a ball, appealed for a sec then asked if it was good.

Well, this just isn't true how ever you spin this... He right up celebrated with all the team mates. It was cook and the umpire who were the surprised ones, and knew what was up.

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
You and I are not seeing the same footage perhaps... It's not that big a deal, but still it's something that's clear to me at least. Here

That's the footage I'm seeing and it looks like it bounced off his fingers.

edbrat

I have to keep pinching myself, not just beating Australia but murdering them...in Australia! After the last TWO DECADES or so its not before time. So many tortures from both Waughs, Hayden, Gilchrist, Mcgrath and of course, the bastard in chief (but what a bastard), Shane Warne.

jesus now even Swanny is having a carefree slog, half think we'll see the rest of the England team having a nice picnic on the boundary before putting down their pimms to take the field and hammer in the final nail :D

Yagharek

Two things annoy me about this series, and its not necessarily Australia losing.

1. Michael Clarke still in the side
2. Those fucking kfc ads. I want to shove that keyboard down that smug goose's fucking mouth.

edbrat

Grug said:
I miss the old England. :(

I grew up with them, I like this new one where we get to have an opener who has occupied the crease for 36 hours this Ashes series. He'll add to that if you score 365 in your second innings :)

Top Bottom