• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

speedpop said:
WORDS. GOBBLE GOBBLE.

Am I the only one who wanted to see Strauss get a century?

He was batting well but got out in a rather stupid fashion. So doesn't really deserve the century. If he did, he would have got it instead of letting a full, straight one knock down his gate.

Papa

Banned
Grug said:
He was batting well but got out in a rather stupid fashion. So doesn't really deserve the century. If he did, he would have got it instead of letting a full, straight one knock down his gate.

Straight?

Grug

Stolen from another forum.

After 21 Games batting at #4

Damien Martyn - averaged 47 (ended up at avg 46 after 62 innings)

Mike Hussey - averaged 63 (currently 46 after 62 innings)

Mark Waugh - averaged 42 (ended up 42 after 170 innings)

Michael Clarke - averaged 19.

*ahem*

legend166

Grug said:
Stolen from another forum.

After 21 Games batting at #4

Damien Martyn - averaged 47 (ended up at avg 46 after 62 innings)

Mike Hussey - averaged 63 (currently 46 after 62 innings)

Mark Waugh - averaged 42 (ended up 42 after 170 innings)

Michael Clarke - averaged 19.

*ahem*

No doubt he's not a number 4.

No idea why Hussey didn't move back up there.

Papa

Banned
So I've been thinking about my ideal Australian team once everyone's fit. I think this lineup would stand the best chance of being a competitive test side:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle / Harris
Hilfenhaus
Beer / Hauritz

Once Ponting inevitably retires within the next couple of years, Khawaja could move to 3. Also, although I've been saying Clarke should be dropped, I really can't think who could replace him right now. I guess the best thing for him would be to drop back to 5 and let Hussey take back 4. I mean, that's what they did when Hussey was out of form, why can't they reverse it now that the form has reversed?

Anyway, too bad the next test after this one isn't until August =/

Ashes

Banned
matt404au said:
Once Ponting inevitably retires within the next couple of years, Khawaja could move to 3. Also, although I've been saying Clarke should be dropped, I really can't think who could replace him right now. I guess the best thing for him would be to drop back to 5 and let Hussey take back 4. I mean, that's what they did when Hussey was out of form, why can't they reverse it now that the form has reversed?

Anyway, too bad the next test after this one isn't until August =/

They could still do this in the second innings. Though very unlikely.

Rezbit

Not much talk about the Big Bash in here! I am actually loving it, close game tonight NSW/SA. Kieron Pollard looked like single-handedly dragging the Redbacks over the line after some super shitty top order batting. O'Keefe with a couple of wickets. Warner with a not out without really looking threatening.

By the way, Tendulkar......motherofgod.jpg

Dead Man said:
Yeah. They definitely are on top, not decisively so, but they are in front.
I think as long as we can avoid Bell and Cook being both in at the same time we could come out ok for the first innings, Collingwood and the tail haven't offered much with the bat so far in the series.

artist

Banned
Rezbit said:
Not much talk about the Big Bash in here! I am actually loving it, close game tonight NSW/SA. Kieron Pollard looked like single-handedly dragging the Redbacks over the line after some super shitty top order batting. O'Keefe with a couple of wickets. Warner with a not out without really looking threatening.

By the way, Tendulkar......motherofgod.jpg
Pollard is such a sight to watch when on song but he's so polarizing ..

Watch this 'Act of God' video from today's play (Steyn bowls Harbhajan)

Juicy Bob

Rezbit said:

I actually went to that game last night. It was great fun, I'm definately going to head down there again on Saturday. We couldn't believe it when that catch was called a no-ball, and that Pollard guy is a beast.

On a side note, Channel 9's obsession with this Beer no-ball is bordering on the pathetic.

artist

Banned
DRAMA!

:lol @ Hughes for stooping so low, such a desperate move. Most obvious bump ball if there was one, commentators also ragging on Puppy deservedly.

Juicy Bob

COOK
lil-b-based-god-o.gif

Papa

Banned
I got the chance to see Australia v West Indies in a one dayer last year and Pollard made 60-odd. He was absolutely incredible to watch.

legend166

Cook is a machine.

The pace bowling attack of Siddle-Johnson-Hilfenhaus is just so bad. Let's hope they never play as a group for Australia again.

Their combined figures for the series:

32 wickets at an average of 40.

Warnie took more wickets by himself in the 05 series.

Yagharek

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Dudes being an Irfan.

Hughes thought he might have caught a ball, appealed for a sec then asked if it was good.

So we can expect to hear about it for another 4 years then :D

Empty

oh my bad guys, i didn't see it live, only read a misleading description. didn't realize hughes asked if it was okay, thought he just appealed despite realizing he hadn't got it. gone and made myself look stupid now :(

artist

Banned
RandomVince said:
So we can expect to hear about it for another 4 years then :D
UDRS' the bitch steam rolling on Australia's ass. Pretty sure without it the Australian team would have ganged up on the umpires into forcing them to give Cook out, Australianism.

Meadows

Banned
Who out of the Aussie line up would realistically get into the current England team? I'm struggling on this one (it might have been raised before).

Papa

Banned
Meadows said:
Who out of the Aussie line up would realistically get into the current England team? I'm struggling on this one (it might have been raised before).

Hussey for Collingwood, that's about it.

matt404au said:
Hussey for Collingwood, that's about it.

haddin for prior as well.

but none of the bowlers thats for sure.

about Tendulkar's latest hundred - he was caught behind on the third ball of the day (not sure what he was on but not much) and without the UDRS Sth Africa couldnt appeal the decision (even though on replay it was clear as day). He then went on and made 100.
What a joke the BCCI is for not allowing the UDRS in Indian series. I think if you ask anyone who has been watching the Ashes, they will tell you the UDRS is a great thing for cricket and should be compulsory.

The Australia v India series a couple of months ago was riddled with bad umpiring but this Ashes has left me with pretty much no complaints. I'm sure the Poms and Aussie in here agree with me on this.

Yagharek

Ugh.

Umpire reviews are both good and bad. This one just now was a bad example because it assumes technology is perfect.

There have been some fantastic uses of it this series (such as the no ball yesterday) but I wonder if it would be better to leave test cricket free of it and just use it in ODIs and fake cricket?

scotcheggz

Atherton was just saying that they can't use snicko becuase it takes too long to build. I dunno.

I think the review system is pretty good as is. In that case it didn't really work out, but overall I think it's been alright.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Eh they replayed the hot spot about 10 times or so then said no..... then next ball replayed the Snicko. If they are going to do it they should be thorough, its only very rarely that they would need to use snicko instead of hot spot anyway.

Also i wonder what size screen they review on. I seen a faint hot spot on my 46" after the ball passed. You wouldn't have seen anything on a small tv.

Top Bottom