• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

matt404au said:
A no ball isn't bad bowling. It's not something a bowler can effectively control 100% of the time.

I, uh, what?

It's like the number one thing a bowler can control completely. The trajectory of a ball might change due to atmospheric conditions. The bounce might be variable due to the pitch.

No matter where you're playing or what the conditions are, you control where your front foot lands. Beer has no one to blame but himself.

I have no problem with the no ball thing. The correct decision was made, which is what we should be after.

Also, Hilditch is a complete and utter moron.

Papa

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Woh, what's happening here? 600 runs+ are being owed to 'bad luck'. And the 'bad luck' incident being the fielding team's own fault? and 'no balls' is not bad bowling? and let's not forget that it wasn't even close. England won by a country mile. An innings no less. We made more runs in one go then you did in two. I think it's best not to speak so much when the evidence is so spectacularly against you. Then again, do so, just don't be surprised when people call you out for the wrong reasons, as you're making quite the name for yourself for no reason that I can fathom.

And you don't get it. Read phisheep's most recent post. You and all the other people who are trying to make it seem like I attributed England's win to luck alone. That's not what I said at all.

Meadows said:
bro, your team got owned

deal with it

Don't even, bro. What is it with you and others trying to make me look like a sore loser? How many times do I have to say that Australia did not deserve to win. I start commenting on how hapless they've been and all of a sudden I'm trying to make excuses for losing to a better team. God damn, it's like everyone in this thread turned into Irfan after the SCG test.

Meadows

Banned
matt404au said:
Don't even, bro. What is it with you and others trying to make me look like a sore loser? How many times do I have to say that Australia did not deserve to win. I start commenting on how hapless they've been and all of a sudden I'm trying to make excuses for losing to a better team. God damn, it's like everyone in this thread turned into Irfan after the SCG test.

Did England deserve to win 3-1?

Dead Man

speedpop said:
Dean Jones brings out the hammer and aims it at the nail, smacking it into the wood faster than a male teen thrusting for the first time.
Indeed. Can we get a collections started to get S Waugh as coach?

artist

Banned
matt404au said:
Sound of music, :lol @ sensitive personalities. Sport is serious business btw.

Meadows

Banned
matt404au, people think you're a sore loser because you keep harping on about luck. Guess what, if the Aussies were lucky and England were unlucky, then you'd still probably get owned because your current team is pretty wank and ours is the best in years.

edit:

probably came across as pretty high and mighty but haters gonna hate

artist

Banned
matt404au said:
Oh come on, now you're just trolling. You can't honestly be this stupid.
How old are you? Stop playing the troll card, you know about the boy who cried fox? :D

Meadows said:
Nah, that came across just normal behavior of our mates from down under minus the capacity to take the dirt back.

Empty

vhaic6.jpg

Papa

Banned
Meadows said:
matt404au, people think you're a sore loser because you keep harping on about luck. Guess what, if the Aussies were lucky and England were unlucky, then you'd still probably get owned because your current team is pretty wank and ours is the best in years.

edit:

The bolded shows that you did not understand what I was saying. It's like you (and others) are reading what you want to read. You want me to be the sore loser Aussie cricket fan that you can gloat over, but that's not me. I don't know what gives you the impression that I think Australia should've won. I can't say it any more clearly than "Australia did not deserve to win" in bold.

And accusing me of "harping on about luck" is hardly fair when I said Australia played without luck in one post, then was obliged to provide clarification of what I meant when others started attacking me for it.

Geez, I have missed a bit in this thread.

I am about the most die hard Aussie supporter I know, some of my mates were refusing to watch the cricket with me this summer 'cause I was getting too fired up, but we were completely outplayed and 3-1 makes us look a lot better than we were.

We were outplayed in every aspect of the game: batting, bowling, fielding. Not even close to the competition other than in the Perth test.

There was no luck about it, the Poms were deserved winners and the best team won.

What really upsets me is that Sutherland, Neilsen, Clarke and Hilditch are acting like it is not a crisis. THIS IS AN AUSTRALIAN CRICKETING CRISIS. No doubt about it.

There is not a test standard bowler in the squad, there were about 3 of the top five completely out of form (Hughes, Ponting, Clarke), only one recognized batsman hit a century (whereas 5 of the 6 hit them for England) and it was possibly the worst fielding performance over 5 tests for an Australian team in the last 20 years (I cant remember as many dropped catches as we have had this summer and I dont think we had one runout).

I don't like losing, and I cannot remember losing a series as bad as this ever, but the better team won.

Papa

Banned
legend166 said:
I, uh, what?

It's like the number one thing a bowler can control completely. The trajectory of a ball might change due to atmospheric conditions. The bounce might be variable due to the pitch.

No matter where you're playing or what the conditions are, you control where your front foot lands. Beer has no one to blame but himself.

I have no problem with the no ball thing. The correct decision was made, which is what we should be after.

Also, Hilditch is a complete and utter moron.

I see what you're saying but we're still going to have to disagree on the random no ball being bad bowling thing. Sure, if someone bowls 10 no balls in 20 overs, that's bad bowling. But 1 no ball in 38 overs is an anomaly.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
chicko1983 said:
What really upsets me is that Sutherland, Neilsen, Clarke and Hilditch are acting like it is not a crisis. THIS IS AN AUSTRALIAN CRICKETING CRISIS. No doubt about it.

Agreed. Not gloating or anything, but I hate to see a management team in denial like this. Some reporter needs to poke their eyes out with some sharp questions like, for example, if this isn't a crisis, THEN WHAT IS?

guidop

speedpop said:
Dean Jones brings out the hammer and aims it at the nail, smacking it into the wood faster than a male teen thrusting for the first time.

His comments on SBS during the 05 ashes tour were fantastic. It would have been be good if he was on 9 or the ABC through this current series. It was as if the commentators on 9 had their heads in the sand I don't recall them saying a bad / critical word all summer about Australia's performance.

That intreview with hilditch sounds like a Clarke and Dawe segment

Dead Man

guidop said:
His comments on SBS during the 05 ashes tour were fantastic. It would have been be good if he was on 9 or the ABC through this current series. It was as if the commentators on 9 had their heads in the sand I don't recall them saying a bad / critical word all summer about Australia's performance.

That intreview with hilditch sounds like a Clarke and Dawe segment
Exactly.

Juicy Bob

phisheep said:
Some reporter needs to poke their eyes out with some sharp questions like, for example, if this isn't a crisis, THEN WHAT IS?
Well, the next Ashes isn't for ages. If they start trying to rebuild the Test team now for August/September or whenever their next Test is, they can begin to put a long-term plan into action. A crisis would be having the Test team in such a state as this just before a series, not after it.

Salazar

phisheep said:
Agreed. Not gloating or anything, but I hate to see a management team in denial like this. Some reporter needs to poke their eyes out with some sharp questions like, for example, if this isn't a crisis, THEN WHAT IS?

I don't find that question helpful, phisheep.

Next question, please. I have somewhere to be.

artist

Banned
The first day of IPL auction is over and there are quite a few surprises, not sure what the franchise honchos were thinking ... but here's the list of sold players;

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/story/495897.html

Biggest wtf was Irfan Pathan being bought for ... 1.9m :lol I'm sad that Gilly went over from DC to Numbnuts XI Punjab. I'm still backing DC, hopefully they can grab some good buys on day 2 as they have most of their cash still left;

RecIC.png

KingDizzi

Banned
I knew Gambhir would be costly but Jesus fuck did not expect that, for the LULZ Sehwag and Sachin should have both been put up, there would have easily been 3+ million bids. Also :lol :lol at the England players, Pietersen sold for less than half what he did last time. Shame Swann did not sell though however a big WFT at that fat ass Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Uthappa and Irfan selling for such a high price. Sangakkara IMO was a fucking bargain and a half. Mumbai Indians need some fast bolwers, supporting him of course due to the little master. Lara not selling shocked me TBH, he has not played for a long time however the name alone should have gained some attention.

matt404au said:
The amount of bias contained in your posts is starting to make this feel like an English Premier League thread.

You're a fucking idiot. I live in Newcastle (NSW not England) so you can take your calls of bias and shove it up your arse. If anything you're the one showing bias.

However my opinion that you're incredibly biased has nothing to do with what i was saying. I think you're opinion is wrong regardless of what country you support.

Australia were not unlucky and Beer's no Ball is a perfect example of bad bowling.

matt404au said:
I see what you're saying but we're still going to have to disagree on the random no ball being bad bowling thing. Sure, if someone bowls 10 no balls in 20 overs, that's bad bowling. But 1 no ball in 38 overs is an anomaly.

The no ball from Beer (a rookie error which most spinners don't do) ended up costing Australia 150 or more runs. That is the very definition of bad bowling. I don't care if it was simply a loss of concentration because that is one of the most important things for a bowler.

matt404au said:
The bolded shows that you did not understand what I was saying. It's like you (and others) are reading what you want to read. You want me to be the sore loser Aussie cricket fan that you can gloat over, but that's not me. I don't know what gives you the impression that I think Australia should've won. I can't say it any more clearly than "Australia did not deserve to win" in bold.

And accusing me of "harping on about luck" is hardly fair when I said Australia played without luck in one post, then was obliged to provide clarification of what I meant when others started attacking me for it.

matt404au said:
And you don't get it. Read phisheep's most recent post. You and all the other people who are trying to make it seem like I attributed England's win to luck alone. That's not what I said at all.

You know what i never said you were trying to attribute Australias loss to luck. You quickly jumped to that conclusion and got all defensive for no reason.

I am saying that Australia weren't unlucky at all. You see those same sorts of things happening in every test match. It only seemed exagerated in this case because of Australias extremely poor bowling.

artist

Banned
KingDizzi said:
I knew Gambhir would be costly but Jesus fuck did not expect that, for the LULZ Sehwag and Sachin should have both been put up, there would have easily been 3+ million bids. Also :lol :lol at the England players, Pietersen sold for less than half what he did last time. Shame Swann did not sell though however a big WFT at that fat ass Yuvraj, Rohit Sharma, Uthappa and Irfan selling for such a high price. Sangakkara IMO was a fucking bargain and a half. Mumbai Indians need some fast bolwers, supporting him of course due to the little master. Lara not selling shocked me TBH, he has not played for a long time however the name alone should have gained some attention.
I think the reason for the Poms going so cheap is that they have a tour at the same time as IPL so the availability of the players is a question mark .. I think Lara will be snapped up by Delhi or Deccan tomorrow, just watch ;)

Also Mumbai & Chennai retained most of their players while Chennai went a step further and tried to get most of their 2nd tier players also .. we'll see if that pays of.

irfan said:
I think the reason for the Poms going so cheap is that they have a tour at the same time as IPL so the availability of the players is a question mark .. I think Lara will be snapped up by Delhi or Deccan tomorrow, just watch ;)

Also Mumbai & Chennai retained most of their players while Chennai went a step further and tried to get most of their 2nd tier players also .. we'll see if that pays of.

I hope so. I know he wouldn't be anywhere near his best but i would love to see Lara back on the pitch.

artist

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I hope so. I know he wouldn't be anywhere near his best but i would love to see Lara back on the pitch.
Yeah, I would also like to see the man back in action.

edit: Davy Jacobs also went for cheap, that was a bargain and he'll be available full time.

Papa

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
You're a fucking idiot. I live in Newcastle (NSW not England) so you can take your calls of bias and shove it up your arse. If anything you're the one showing bias.

However my opinion that you're incredibly biased has nothing to do with what i was saying. I think you're opinion is wrong regardless of what country you support.

Australia were not unlucky and Beer's no Ball is a perfect example of bad bowling.

Just because you're from Newcastle does't mean you aren't biased against the Aussies. I've consistently said in recent times that they've played poorly and have not been deserving to win. I'm having to defend myself because people see me say that they've played without luck and immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm attributing their losses to merely being unlucky. How the fuck am I the one showing bias when I'm not even supporting them in the first place? What do you want me to do? Sit here quietly while others call me an idiot for saying that they've played poorly and without luck? Fuck you and your self righteous bullshit.

AdventureRacing said:
You know what i never said you were trying to attribute Australias loss to luck. You quickly jumped to that conclusion and got all defensive for no reason.

I am saying that Australia weren't unlucky at all. You see those same sorts of things happening in every test match. It only seemed exagerated in this case because of Australias extremely poor bowling.

All your other bullshit aside, this is probably the dumbest thing you've said. You responded to something that wasn't even aimed at you - it was directed at Meadows (the person I quoted), Ashes and irfan.

I stand by what I said. Beer getting a wicket on the only no ball he bowled in 38 overs is unlucky.

Edit: No, you don't see them happen in every test match. Beer's wicket is only the second case of a wicket occurring on a referred no ball in history (guess who the first happened to?) and Bell's inside edge is the first hotspot failure I know of. So no, they don't. I'll leave you to your opinion that Beer's wicket was bad bowling but how in your right mind can you say that Bell's edge not showing up on hotspot was not unlucky for the Australians?

Papa

Banned
Dead Man said:
That is unlucky. Bowling a no ball is not.

That is exactly what I have been saying...

Of course he shouldn't have bowled the no ball, but what I have been saying this entire time is that it's unlucky that the wicket he took occurred on his only no ball. It seems that you agree with this now?

DaMan121

matt404au said:
That is exactly what I have been saying...

Of course he shouldn't have bowled the no ball, but what I have been saying this entire time is that it's unlucky that the wicket he took occurred on his only no ball. It seems that you agree with this now?

Breakdown of the series in yesterday's Herald Sun, Australia scored more runs from over-turned dismissals than England (266 vs 214 from memory).

Papa

Banned
DaMan121 said:
Breakdown of the series in yesterday's Herald Sun, Australia scored more runs from over-turned dismissals than England (266 vs 214 from memory).

Interesting. But how many were wrongfully overturned?

matt404au said:
Just because you're from Newcastle does't mean you aren't biased against the Aussies.

It doesn't prove im not biased but you've done nothing to show the opposite.

You only brought up bias to try and discredit my argument. If you can't articulate your point properly fine but don't try and imply im biased because i disagree.

matt404au said:
I've consistently said in recent times that they've played poorly and have not been deserving to win. I'm having to defend myself because people see me say that they've played without luck and immediately jump to the conclusion that I'm attributing their losses to merely being unlucky.

How do you think its going to look? You come in here after Australia has been thrashed and start talking about how they have been unlucky when there was hardly any (if any) luck at all.

matt404au said:
How the fuck am I the one showing bias when I'm not even supporting them in the first place?

How the fuck am i showing bias? You're the one who called me out for being biased in the first place so don't try and act all innocent.

matt404au said:
What do you want me to do? Sit here quietly while others call me an idiot for saying that they've played poorly and without luck?

No but don't get all pissy when someone else does the same.

matt404au said:
Fuck you and your self righteous bullshit.

Self righteous bullshit? You are the one who started this whole bias crap. I simply provided a counter argument to your assertion that Australia was unlucky.

You come here complaining about how everyone is calling you biased (maybe there is a reason everyone is disagreeing with you?) when YOU did the exact same thing to me for no reason.

If you don't want people saying it about you maybe you shouldn't do it yourself?

matt404au said:
All your other bullshit aside, this is probably the dumbest thing you've said. You responded to something that wasn't even aimed at you - it was directed at Meadows (the person I quoted), Ashes and irfan.

Bullshit don't try and change what you posted. In both of those posts you made sure to include that it was (others) as well. Just because it wasn't my post you qouted doesn't mean it wasn't directed at me.

Not that it matters anyway. My post still stands even if you ignore those 2 replies. You still got extremely defensive and started calling me biased when i hadn't said anything like that to you.

matt404au said:
I stand by what I said. Beer getting a wicket on the only no ball he bowled in 38 overs is unlucky.

You also said the bad ball itself was bad luck. Bowling a no ball is bad bowling especially from a spinner. For this reason i don't consider it to be bad luck.

matt404au said:
Edit: No, you don't see them happen in every test match. Beer's wicket is only the second case of a wicket occurring on a referred no ball in history (guess who the first happened to?) and Bell's inside edge is the first hotspot failure I know of. So no, they don't. I'll leave you to your opinion that Beer's wicket was bad bowling but how in your right mind can you say that Bell's edge not showing up on hotspot was not unlucky for the Australians?

There you go, 2 examples of the Australians getting slightly unlucky. Now go back to any test match in history and show me a side who hasn't also suffered some bad luck.

The match is played over 5 days of course there will be a few things go either way.

You make these events sound more significant because those 2 players went on to make big scores. The fact that they scored a lot or runs after these 2 incidents is irrelevant. They are still only 2 examples in 5 days of cricket.

DaMan121 said:

This stat is totally irrelevant to this discussion about luck. The amount of runs made after the decision means nothing.

For example what if the hot spot technology had stuffed up 8 times during cooks innings but he only went on to score 70 runs?

Clearly in this case Australia would of been far more unlucky despite the fact less runs were made.

Papa

Banned
I'm not going to go through your post and analyse it sentence by sentence, but I will say this:

I never made any personal attacks until it was in response to yours, so don't accuse me of that. Your entire argument relies on the assumption that I'm attributing England's win to bad luck on Australia's part and that it's the only time a team has ever been unlucky. I've refuted this countless times yet you still structure your argument around it. It's no wonder we've been going in circles for 2 pages now. I'm far too stubborn to give up until you stop putting words in my mouth though. Stop reading what you want to read.

There you go, 2 examples of the Australians getting slightly unlucky.

Understatement of the year. Things like this are the reason I called you biased.

Salazar

On a lighter note, the pic in the Weekend Australian of Clarke and Ponting having a goofy face competition is a good one.

matt404au said:
I'm not going to go through your post and analyse it sentence by sentence, but I will say this:

I never made any personal attacks until it was in response to yours, so don't accuse me of that.

Complete and utter bullshit. You were the one who posted this

matt404au said:
The amount of bias contained in your posts is starting to make this feel like an English Premier League thread.

You show me where in my posts i made a personal attack before you said this.

matt404au said:
Your entire argument relies on the assumption that I'm attributing England's win to bad luck on Australia's part and that it's the only time a team has ever been unlucky. I've refuted this countless times yet you still structure your argument around it.

No it isn't. My entire argument is based on the fact that 2 examples of luck doesn't equal the unluckiest cricket team ever.

I never said you attributed the loss to bad luck. That is an assumption YOU made.

matt404au said:
It's no wonder we've been going in circles for 2 pages now. I'm far too stubborn to give up until you stop putting words in my mouth though. Stop reading what you want to read.

You are the one putting words into my mouth. You accused me of starting the personal attacks when it was you who started all the biased bullshit. If you want i can reqoute our discussion and show you (not that i need to its on the previous page).

You also keep telling me what my argument is. I never thought that you were implying that Australia lost because of luck and yet you keep harping on this point.

matt404au said:
Understatement of the year. Things like this are the reason I called you biased.

How is it an understatement? You provided only 2 examples, the amount of runs scored after is irrelevant.

Again if you can't make an argument thats your problem don't call me biased to supplement that fact.

Papa

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
I could say the exact same thing. Don't bother calling people out next time if you can't back it up.

Doesn't matter what I say, you're going to say the same shit. Hence, pointless.

matt404au said:
Doesn't matter what I say, you're going to say the same shit. Hence, pointless.

How is what you're doing any different? You haven't changed your argument one bit, well except for the part where you lied about what i/you said and tried to pretend that you didn't start the personal attacks.

irfan said:
Any kiwis watching the test? Just when I thought this could be a competitive test ..

I'm not a kiwi but i am watching. Pretty embarrassing display really. Can't believe how much they are collapsing (the run-out in particular is just incredibly poor cricket).

artist

Banned
Good use of Bevan ..

It was Gilchrist who contacted Bevan, with whom he played alongside in the 1999 and 2003 World Cup winning sides, as soon as he heard the news. "He pretty much rang back straightaway and has been involved in the team-building process in the auction after that. That is a great sign; him lending his experience with some of the players he has played with. As a coach, you want your captain immersed in what we are trying to achieve."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/current/story/496236.html

Ashes

Banned
@matt... You ought not to call out no balls when Australia lose by an innings in this match and three times overall in a five match series... Just sayin. :p

edit: oh you're having a bit of a.. something with someone.. never mind... no offence meant.

Top Bottom