• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

Huge day in store for us. Australia's inexperienced bowling will be severely under pressure here.

Still good to see Bollinger strike early today. Kallis and Boucher are the key players for them.

master15

Missed Kallis dismisal but I heard one of the replays made it look a little touch and go.

And there goes my favourite South African batsmen. Amla looks like a class act, very beautiful style, he'll just be kicking himself that he hasn't been able to kick on during this series.

Good start for Australians here, go to ensure they keep pressure on.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Dumniy gone, look like it was going over the stumps, all the appealing payed off i guess :D hes gonna be awesome in a few years so no need to be disappointed. Hadden dropped him before as well.

master15

Grug said:
Amla is definitely a beautiful batsman to watch.

Mark Waugh like.

Exact reason why I like him so much ;)

And nice break through for Johnson, for Saffers Prince being injured was a blessing in disguise as Duminy is very, very promising guy.

Wonder if Smith will bat...

master15

Asoka de Silva has a rather ordinary game, poor decision wasn't really close to being LBW. Shame for Boucher but we'll take it...

tri_willy

master15 said:
Asoka de Silva has a rather ordinary game, poor decision wasn't really close to being LBW. Shame for Boucher but we'll take it...

yea, a lot of the umpiring has been very ordinary, several decisions going against both sides. boucher was rather normal in his dismissal compared to the first innings when he chucked a fit after getting bowled by siddle :D
seems like the aussies will get the win as the team who bats at the scg first usually gets the win, well traditionally anyway

master15

tri_willy said:
seems like the aussies will get the win as the team who bats at the scg first usually gets the win, well traditionally anyway

Maybe not they say it's going to rain. Oh dear how cruel would that be for Australians. Rain, rain stay away...

tri_willy

master15 said:
Maybe not they say it's going to rain. Oh dear how cruel would that be for Australians. Rain, rain stay away...

if that were to happen, it would further add meaning to a series whitewash against australia.

south africa: 2, rain: 1
australia: 0

santouras

cricinfo commentary...

Its pretty cloudy still. Rain is in the air.

noooooooooooo

vaderno.jpg

master15

If Australia can't close this out and get tis last wicket with this pitch, dare I say this don't deserve to take the game out. Partnership is almost 20 now.

Come on...

Grug

Would be a fitting end to the series if the tail is able to wag again and for SA to save the match.

santouras

no it wouldn't

this is getting ridiculous. It's not brain surgery to get a tail ender out. One ball right at the head, the next one on the stumps. Wash, rinse, repeat

what is going to be interesting is if smith comes out..... there's no way australia will treat him with kid gloves if he comes out.

Grug

santouras said:
there's no way australia will treat him with kid gloves if he comes out.

Of course they wouldn't.

You step across the white rope, you declare you are up for it.

Mitchell Johnson looks tired. Smith is defending well. How can this man do this? Amazing player. One of the greatest moments of cricket I've seen.

Grug

AUSTRALIA IS WINRAR!!!!!

What a brilliant end to a fucking epic test match.

Graeme Smith is a legend.... but we deserved that win and got it.

Props to Grug for talking up Mitchell Johnson for months here. :D

We only needed a draw to retain the no 1 ranking, but this gives us a little (wafer thin) buffer.

Bring on the one dayers.

master15

Some may call that entertaining but after two tour losses and really frustrating few weeks, frankly I could have done with a much more comprehensive bowling performance especially near the end :lol

Christ...

Grug

master15 said:
Some may call that entertaining but after two tour losses and really frustrating few weeks, frankly I could have done with a much more comprehensive bowling performance especially near the end :lol

Christ...

We're just spoilt after years of dominance, we are used to doing opponents in 4 days but moments like this afternoon is what test match cricket is all about.

Grug

santouras said:
on a more serious note, hayden needs to be dropped and ponting needs to remember how to captain a team in the field.

Yeah, Haydos is gone.

The good news is that Siddle looks like a real find. Coming along very, very nicely.

master15

Grug said:
We're just spoilt after years of dominance, we are used to doing opponents in 4 days but moments like this afternoon is what test match cricket is all about.

Oh no question, it's heart-racing stuff but the way summers been going I would rather it have ended much, much sooner. I was getting MCG flashbacks when Steyn and Nintini were out there for more than an hour.

Next up 20-20, will you be watching Grug? ;)

Australia win, but what a game. Two overs away from the draw and all. Finally, Johnson bowls the right line to him. However, Graeme Smith did everything he could. Great end to one of the greatest series I've ever witnessed. The moments where Graeme Smith came out to bat, where Clarke made his first SCG century, where Duminy scored his first Test century, where Mitchell Johson got 8 wickets in a mesmerizing spell at Perth. All fantastic.

This series showed once more why Test series is so great.

I totally agree with Smith as Man of the Series, totally deserved. :D Bring on the silly season (T20s) and the ODIs. Most of all, though, I can't wait for the return tour in South Africa. Might just purchase SelectTV or Foxtel to see that.

Puck

Banned
fuck. i had $100 on SA to win when they were $20.

oh well, would have spent it on piss anyway.

great test and amazing series.

smith is a total champ. listening to his comments and the courage and strength to go out and bat and fight for a dead rubber is the stuff of legends.

Top Bottom