• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

master15

South Africa have done this the whole series. Striking once and then quickly picking up another.

Just as Australia looking comfortable, usually a sign they're going to loose a few. Frustrating.

master15

And Hayden goes :(

Deadful shot it really was. Yes Steyn has bowled well in spots but it's another perfect case of Australian batsmen getting themselves out and just when they were putting a semblance of a partnership together.

Makes for some really frustrating viewing for Australian fans.

tri_willy

looks like hayden is on his last legs now. he may only have one more innings to prove his worth despite how great a player he was. hussey and clarke will now bore the day's play unfortunately

tri_willy

hussey gone. another terrible dismissal for him really. a dab and edges out to first slip and hilariously harris is off after the dismissal for what appears to be a twist of the ankle after jumping in the air. now's he regretting it :lol

master15

It wasn't even that big of a jump as well :lol

Also Clarke almost does a copybook repeat of a dismisal of this earlier this series. Also the Ginga could be out any ball now :/

tri_willy

master15 said:
It wasn't even that big of a jump as well :lol

Also Clarke almost does a copybook repeat of a dismisal of this earlier this series. Also the Ginga could be out any ball now :/

put ab de villiers in that spot instead of ntini there and he would have caught that one magnificently

master15

tri_willy said:
put ab de villiers in that spot instead of ntini there and he would have caught that one magnificently

Yeah no question absolutely brilliant would have made easy picking out of that chance. They actually have a very,very good fielding unit. While they don`t have the likes of a Symond who can affect and create a run out chance, with the likes of Amla and Duminy they have great ground fielders and with Kallis one of the better slippers going around.

Edit: MacDonalds helment comes flying off with Morkel bouncer. Oh dear...

tri_willy

the battle of the lanky guys :lol
seems like ronnie's left shoulder gave the helmet a slight nudge and morkel's delivery gave it the finishing hit

hopefully he gets a chance later when morkel comes into bat.

legend166

Watching McDonald bat was a bizarre experience. It really brought how much we suck to the fore.

Anyway, Hayden needs to piss off already. If only you could retire halfway through test match. We need a supersub.

tri_willy

seems like the pup has played another important innings. not his biggest fan but he's got the runs. cmon haddin, get another ton!!!

Grug

We're hopeless at holding onto our wickets in those crucial last overs before stumps.

New ball came at the wrong time. Haddin gawn.

master15

I think you Pup detractors who stunk up this thread earlier need to give the man some kudos. Sure he was lucky to be dropped twice (One by Nintini in a hard chance and surprisingly by Amla who is no slouch in the field) but he has been one of the few batsmen of our prepared to grind out an innings.

Another disappointing day for Australia, after it began with a rare solid opening partnership. Katich is in super form he must be kicking himself he has not been able to kick on and make a 100 this whole series. Sadly as much as I would love to see Hayden make it to the next ashes it gets harder and harder to keep him there. I mean sure it is fantastic having that experience there but all that pressure really is not doing any favours for the rest of our lineup, probably seen in Pointings golden today.

tri_willy

master15 said:
I think you Pup detractors who stunk up this thread earlier need to give the man some kudos. Sure he was lucky to be dropped twice (One by Nintini in a hard chance and surprisingly by Amla who is no slouch in the field) but he has been one of the few batsmen of our prepared to grind out an innings.

if this is the case, i think its time we give the other down form batsmen a good pasting. fucking hayden!!! fucking ponting!!! fucking hussey!!!

there... hopefully they will improve massively in the 2nd innings

tri_willy said:
if this is the case, i think its time we give the other down form batsmen a good pasting. fucking hayden!!! fucking ponting!!! fucking hussey!!!

there... hopefully they will improve massively in the 2nd innings

I wouldn't say Ponting is out of form. Probably more a case of being inconsistent.

master15

And there comes the 100 partnership! I think Chapelle is right, Johnson really has the potential to maybe be an all-rounder. Looks really good with the bat. Unfortunately the first two test matches went the same way before Australia lost the way, here is hoping for something different.

By the way it is really nice to see McGrath in the box, respect for raising so much money for a good cause.

tri_willy

yup, good to see the pidge. quite surprising that it was tubs that reminded him of his half century feat rather than himself talking up that innings :D
also interesting to note that johnson has currently more runs in this series than both hayden and hussey combined. a scary thought...

master15

And Smiths golden summer as captain continues, introduces Duminy and hazzah picks up Pup with an ordinary shot. Seriously...

Anyway great innings by him and excellent partnership finally broken.

master15

After Day 3 in the last match it almost cathartic to see the Aussie tail wagging and smashing the Saffers (Once again).

Good stuff indeed.

Edit: Ahh Siddle gone, very plumb!

Grug

Amazing how the consistent theme across this series has been the wagging of the tail... for both teams.

The upper order batsman must be wondering what they are doing wrong.

Very happy with how our innings turned out considering we were 5/160 odd yesterday.

Enjoying watching Bollinger bowl too. He's fired up in front of the home crowd. Looking very threatening.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Good so far, Aus bowlers need to strike early 1 for 125 isnt good enough..... well 2, but yeah South Africas batters are awesomly good........ or ours just suck.... hrmmmm.

tri_willy

seems like a draw is the most probable outcome for the time being. too bad for smithy, he was doing great despite being already injured and now appears gone for the test match unless he is required for the tenth wicket :D

bowling attack is still looking suspect but i could be wrong by tomorrow's play. i hope the likes of katich gets some part time bowling. he's got the better best bowling figures than lee :D (although it wouldnt mean much in this context)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Bump.

Good day for Aus today so far 5/198 got the major threats out of the way Amla and Duminy have been the danger men imo cause if they get in they aint going anywhere.

tri_willy

boucher cant believe his luck! hauritz bowls one and he edges to his legs and somehow hits the stumps where the right bail (from bowlers view) dislodges a tiny bit then it falls back to near where it was initially placed. lol at haydos and haddin for jumping and stamping the nearby area hoping the bail would come off :lol

master15

Yeah me and Tim were talking about that. Crazy how hard it hit the stumps yet didn't bowl him. I've seen that once or twice in last decade but never the ball hitting the stumps that hard.

Nuts.

Grug

Draw looking likely from here if we can't bowl SA out today. I know 5th day SCG pitches are a horror to bat on historically but the Proteas don't give up their wickets cheaply.

Edit: Bowden doesn't like giving LBWs does he... dead set. He owes Bollinger two.

master15

Grug said:
Edit: Bowden doesn't like giving LBWs does he... dead set. He owes Bollinger two.

Yup no wonder Bollinger was blowing up like that. I suspect he may be fined or loose some of his match fee potentially.

Heh, too true, what a funny old Test match we're having today. 5/274 runs now. Tail is wagging something fierce. Boucher looking good out there, too. (and extremely lucky as well :lol )

Edit: I already told master15 my theory that 350+ was likely if Boucher and Morkel made it to 250. Now 400 is a possibility. Steyn and Harris are better batsmen than Morkel.

master15

Now this makes for a nice change...

Hayden very lucky he was plum LBW, then again South Africans had some luck this afternoon with decisions, not too bad we get one our way.

master15 said:
Now this makes for a nice change...

Hayden very lucky he was plum LBW, then again South Africans had some luck this afternoon with decisions, not too bad we get one our way.

The umpires have been pretty shocking this match/series.

Rezbit

I always said Siddle was my favourite bowler....lol. But seriously, it was a great firey spell from him. As for Hauritz, wow he looked shit. Except for that not-bowled, he hasn't looked remotely threatening. Should have given Krejza another chance, very hard done by after one shit game!

Also, Hilfy for Bollinger. There I said it.

Grug

Rezbit said:
Also, Hilfy for Bollinger. There I said it.

Bollinger has already shown enough in one innings to get selection in the next series IMO.

Has looked continually threatening, just hasn't had any luck.

Unless Bollinger has a terrible second innings, Hilfy will have to wait his turn.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Put ronald in as opener.

Fuck that kids entertaining.

I don't know if it was his go gettem attitude, or his helmet that was 3 sizes too big. but WOW.

What a spell from Siddle. Just when I was convinced the Australian bowling attack was starting to tire out! South Africa will need to keep the Australians below around 280 to have a chance of victory. Hayden looking good thus far, however.

Bollinger definitely deserves to keep his spot, though. Unlucky today.

master15

And there goes Hayden :(

Even if he had scored a big score I really do feel his time is up. At least we got to see a few shots of old, if this is indeed his last innings.

tri_willy

oh noes hayden!!! seems like the end is just inevitable even he probably realises it. wtf at katich not scoring for 39 balls??? so contrasting to his first innings. ponting looking good so far

tri_willy

a rather bizzare event for katich who just got dismissed. a very delayed dismissal and a weak appeal. somewhat unfortunate to katich who made the run only to be given the finger

master15

tri_willy said:
a rather bizzare event for katich who just got dismissed. a very delayed dismissal and a weak appeal. somewhat unfortunate to katich who made the run only to be given the finger

He was certainly out it was just Steyn was being very lazy and just didn't bother to appeal.

tri_willy

game on. i'd say the aussies are slight with the upperhand for the time being unless smithy forces himself to play for the win. proteas looking pretty sluggish without the presence of their captain

Top Bottom