• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Rezbit

At the very least Mr Phisheep, you have the super annoying England tail-enders to come in. If Pakistan get away with a fifty run deficit they will be VERY happy, I imagine.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
At the very least Mr Phisheep, you have the super annoying England tail-enders to come in. If Pakistan get away with a fifty run deficit they will be VERY happy, I imagine.

Looking forward to a 50-run stand for the last wicket with our spinners against their spinners!

After all the debate about whether England should play four or five bowlers they should maybe seriously consider playing 10 of them.

beast786

CONGRATULATIONS TO INDIA HUGE VICTORY

bhangra.gif

Hopefully this huge momentum can carry over to the real formats.

Also, another amazing test match. Not sucky Pakistan need to show up tomorrow .

artist

Banned
Honestly, it seems like DRS is working in this series? For too long on shitty arse tracks has LBW not been given, now it's really highlighting them. Umps would normally be too scared to give that many LBW's, but this is really making the right decision (nb: I say this without watching these tests extensively).
I dont think it is to be honest.

The ball tracker is still fairly inaccurate. Even England is of the opinion that changes to DRS are required.

IMO the 3 reds rule is fine as long as the ball tracker shows the ball hitting and NOT clipping the outside of the wicket. If you start giving lbws for appeals that clip leg stump or the shade of the bails then we'll see a test end in 1-1.5 day very soon.

artist

Banned
Controversial opinion piece.

Under ICC regulations every bowler is allowed a maximum 15 degrees of flex in their delivery arm - a criteria that Ajmal's action satisfies - but Bob Willis told Sky Sports that perhaps the figure gives all bowlers too much latitude.

"The delivery that I have a problem is the doosra," said Willis. "The ICC have accommodated this delivery - they've changed the rules, basically, to allow these bowlers to bend their elbow 15 degrees. That's what makes it so difficult for the batsmen.

"The doosra is the delivery that all of the batsmen are struggling with and the authorities are now allowing these 'mystery' spinners, these unorthodox off-spinners to bend their elbow to a degree and if they are going to be allowed to do that then England have got to address it and say 'should we be teaching our young spinners to 'bowl' like that as well?'

"It's going to be a controversial issue. Michael Atherton wouldn't agree with me - he thinks that these people bowling with bent elbows is a good thing for the game and adds mystery and interest.

"Pakistan's bowlers, either with reverse swing or unorthodox off-spin, have had to produce something different to be able to get wickets in their own country.

"Why do all these bowlers bowl with their sleeves buttoned down to their wrist? Why aren't they wearing short-sleeved shirts? Why aren't they wearing vests like Australian Rules footballers so we can see their arm? The answer is clear, isn't it? They are bending their elbow."

Fantastic

Ajmal finished as the leading Test wicket-taker in 2011 with 50 scalps to his name and former England opener Marcus Trescothick told Sky Sports that the right-armer is so difficult to play because he scrambles the seam.

"Ajmal's given England nothing today," said Trescothick. "He's landed pretty much every time he's bowled the doosra - he's landed them very skilfully.

"If you can see the seam spinning in one direction, it makes it a lot easier to pick. Generally most spinners who bowl the doosra nowadays scramble them all the time because then you can't pick it because the ball is spinning one way but the actual seam is going in all different directions.

"It makes it very, very tough. You've got to be watching it very, very closely to see some form of rotation or you've got to be picking it from the hand.

"It's an ideal start for him and Pakistan. Ajmal is their key player. All the hype building up to the series was all about Ajmal and he's delivered. Getting seven-for is a fantastic achievement."

Willis added his own plaudits, saying; "The skill level is phenomenal - the control that Ajmal has, whether we think the delivery is legitimate or not, is unbelievably skilful. It is very difficult.

"As Marcus quite rightly says, when you first go in with the addition of this problem of the scrambled seam as well, it makes life very difficult for you indeed.

"The initial view of the England batsman seems to be to play on the back foot because if you've got men in front of the bat and you go out with that bat in front of your pad, you could give a catch. But if you survive for a little while, you can play him."

Ajmal says he has added a new variation to his bowling armoury - the 'teesra', a delivery that looks as though it will spin but which goes straight on.

Nonsense

However, David 'Bumble' Lloyd told Sky Sports that England's batsmen shouldn't be more concerned than they are already!

"I've dismissed it completely - I think it is utter nonsense, personally," said Bumble. "He's got an off-spinner and a doosra and the doosra is so effective because he is accurate with it.

"You can tell listening to the players that they are a little bit uncertain watching the wrist which way it is going.

"It [the teesra] didn't look too much different from anything else that goes down, to me - it just looks exactly the same. I'm fine with it. This lad for me is within the regulations of the game. But I think the teesra is for me a complete and utter con!"

Why are they serious bowling like that? Something to hide or nothing? Hmmm.

artist

Banned
Humongous victory
Bah, you didnt have to quote him ..

I was just reading up on England's view on the whole DRS thing (as I was responding to Rezbit's post) when I came across that article.

its not like harbajan hasn't been guilty the same :p
Is he still playing/cheating?

Brett Lee also does the same and he's still playing/cheating.
Zing!

The question here is not the bend but why wearing full sleeve shirts if they're not hiding anything .. it does smell fishy. I hope it gets picked up by more media outlets and the question eventually gets asked to the right people.

beast786

I am pretty sure he is hiding victory cigars from recent test victories/ Or the trophy for highest test wicket taker in those highly suspicious sleeves.

Fact:Leading test wicket taker.
Teams with 16 games losing steaks: OMG full sleeves.

I was hoping that indian cricket team fans wont act like sore losers even after this HUGE VICOTRY.

midonnay

"He [Harbhajan] is not any different," Bedi told The Sun-Herald yesterday. "The ICC is turning a blind eye to both of them.

"A lot of people have questioned Harbhajan's action and they are right to. He has the same problem as Murali. This is cricket's greatest tragedy.

Australian speedster Brett Lee has aroused fleeting suspicions of throwing in the past but Bedi said Lee is in the clear.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/harbhajan-a-chucker-says-bedi/2007/12/01/1196394687431.html

former Indian captain/spinner no less :p

beast786

What a comeback. Played with heart. Wish other sub-continent teams would have shown some heart also.

England pace attack was devastating. Swinging the ball both ways with the bounce in the first inning. Very impressive.

England still favored.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
It's a good come back, I'd tell the rest of the shed to get out cheaply to put some fear of the pitch back into England. Wrap it up before they can get to 120.

beast786

70.6 Anderson to Azhar Ali, no run, full length ball again on the stumps, Azhar defends compactly. England are looking beyond flat now. They are concaving. Feels like watching India bowl.

Cricinfo you so crazy

England seems to got a little defensive. Still, its just a building block.

So the Kochi Tuskers are out of IPL 2012, and now the Pune Warriors may suffer the same fate? So it'll be back to an 8 team competition.

artist

Banned
Well played pakistan.But dont let this vicotry get into your heads and play the rest of the sries sensibily.And please do something about batting too. Younus is not in form let him go and also the second fast bowler whose name even i forgot.
You can drop Junaid but Younus? I mean the current team has a good bunch of young ones, you need to mix it with some experienced players also. Cant have a completely inexperienced team.
Told you that Younus shouldnt be dropped. ;) The best thing I like about Younus, he doesnt participate in his team's traditions.

beast786

What a great century by Azhar and Younis. Great work under pressure against a number #1 ranked team.

Too bad the other sub-Continent team didnt show any hearts and keep loosing in inning defeats :(

200 isn't too bad for 32 overs, always hard to tell whats a good score in these reduced over matches though.

216 is even better lol thought it was already the last over.

Top Bottom