• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Rezbit

C'mon India, spark this series up! Also Slats STFU wanting Dhoni out there, he would waste about 30 balls before he did anything.

Rezbit

Holy shit. What a game. Also glad to see Dhoni no where near that chase. Mad props to Kohli. This is why we still watch ODIs gentlemen.

artist

Banned
What an heist. India have done their bit. Ball is now in SL's court, win against Australia, so its like a semi-final for them. Australia sitting pretty and they can decide if they want to play India or SL. They might prefer India but who knows .. this game might have sent some shivers down their spine. If they want to play SL, they might as well field new blokes, try new strategies and take it as a learning game.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
What an amazing chase. I honestly didn't even give them a chance of making that score in 50 overs let alone 36. Outstanding.

Dynedom

Incredible chase. Who would have thunk.

Malinga is going to be in bad shape going into the Aus match. Hopefully he regains some confidence. Not a whole lot you could do against Kohli. It was his night. Ridiculous innings.

Final round robin match is going to be insane. Do or die for Sri Lanka.

Tonche

Kohli - seriously one of the all-time best one day innings I've seen. Ticked the score along early then was just hitting everything perfectly.

The whole lineup came to bat though.

Dynedom

If India don't make it to the finals, they won't have anyone to blame but themselves. That being said, the future looks very bright with the likes of Kohli and Raina pulling their weight. It's pretty cool to see a lot of these teams having promising new talent to guide them to the next WC.

artist

Banned
If India don't make it to the finals, they won't have anyone to blame but themselves. That being said, the future looks very bright with the likes of Kohli and Raina pulling their weight. It's pretty cool to see a lot of these teams having promising new talent to guide them to the next WC.
Raina still has to prove his worth, though. One off game in 20 odd matches wont count. He's not feeling the pressure because Dhoni guarantees him the spot and also with Yuvraj out, he's pretty much got a free pass to his slot.

tri_willy

fucking wow, sri lanka almost deserve not to be in the finals because of their shite bowlings. props to kohli's fucking mad axing of an innings

too bad malinga didnt get his ton lol

artist

Banned
So who would Australia prefer?

India fighting back strongly (but otherwise poor overall) to stay alive in the series or a solid (but patchy on occasions) all around SL? I still think SL is a stronger team to contend for Australia.

Willy, are you ruing the fact that you could have taken me up on that bet .. :p (Aus v SL final)

Rezbit

Just give Kohli the captaincy now.

In a way it's also bad for India; you'd think Sri Lanka will come out extremely hard against the Aussies next game! I'm glad the series is actually alive again. I'm sure CA are grateful the last game isn't a dead rubber too!

This is why I love cricket though. A game between India and Sri Lanka at a stadium in Hobart with about 2000 people in attendance can host one of the best ODIs in recent memory.

pappe

Raina still has to prove his worth, though. One off game in 20 odd matches wont count. He's not feeling the pressure because Dhoni guarantees him the spot and also with Yuvraj out, he's pretty much got a free pass to his slot.

I agree with this. Raina is overrated, he cannot play on fast and bouncy tracks and if there is seem movement god help him.

artist

Banned
Sri Lanka have been more competitive than India all summer, so probably SL. Depends how the last match goes. If Australia beat SL, they may as well go on and beat India next.
My question wasnt "what would YOU prefer" but rather "what would Australia prefer".

SL has been more competitive than India definitely but why would Australia chose a stronger opposition in the finals? Besides throwing the last game could also give SL the momentum back and the "wood" over Australia in head-to-head matches.

Correct answer:
Give the Friday game your best shot at winning. Throwing game is throwing momentum and confidence away.

Yagharek

My question wasnt "what would YOU prefer" but rather "what would Australia prefer".

SL has been more competitive than India definitely but why would Australia chose a stronger opposition in the finals? Besides throwing the last game could also give SL the momentum back and the "wood" over Australia in head-to-head matches.

Correct answer:
Give the Friday game your best shot at winning. Throwing game is throwing momentum and confidence away.

In any case, Australia will win. :p

artist

Banned
In any case, Australia will win. :p
dep_3986882-Dont-Count-Chickens-Before-They-Hatch.jpg

SL 60-40 AUS
AUS 70-30 IND

artist

Banned
Kohli was in beast mode tonight, would've taken anyone to the cleaners I reckon.
Regardless of Kohli's mode, Malinga kept bowling mindlessly. He kept feeding Kohli on his legs after getting mauled ball after ball.

Malinga's last over in that tied game wasnt great either, which SL was expected to win ..

Seriously, could you have imagined McKay bowling to Kohli tonight on that pitch? LOL.
He probably would have got Kohli out with a rank full toss that no one expects.

artist

Banned
Kohli even though you might be an arrogant jerk.... Holy fucking shit you deserve to be after that. Wow then bam! Wow!
He's not arrogant, he's just feisty.

Cricinfo said:
Kohli spent the last two days not thinking about cricket. Just getting away from it all. When his family called from India and spoke about cricket, he hung up. "I said, 'Please don't talk about cricket, please don't tell me to do it in the last game because I am not even thinking of it.' We were all staying as relaxed as possible because to be honest we had nothing to lose. This was one game for us, we had to give it our all. Just wanted to enjoy as much as possible, which didn't go probably our way in the first innings but the way we batted in the second innings I think it is going to lift up the spirits of the team."

In regards to him being India's captain, its not too far off. If Dhoni continues the way he's currently captaining, he might not last till the next WC despite that being a goal of Dhoni's. Kohli has already won a WC as an Under-19 captain.

Also ..

Cricinfo said:
"Sachin waited for around 50 ODIs and 4 tours to get his first one day hundred in Australia. Kohli did it in 8th ODI in his first tour. What a player for the present and the future he is going to be." Comparisons with Sachin can wait, Vivekraj, but you have made a good point there.

So I looked up Kohli's stats and he's currently the fastest to 10 centuries in international cricket. If he continues at this pace, he's guaranteed to outscore Tendulkar's number of centuries or if he slows down but still plays on another 400 odd ODIs, he'll still get there. He's also the second youngest to cross the 3000 mark after Tendulkar but Kohli got there with 20 odd less innings. I know the comparisons are hyperbolic but he's got enough of talent to be pillar of the team in the long run.

I dare say but Sachin's old spot of no.4 is now taken. India just needs to find other capable players for spots of Sehwag, Jadeja, Raina & Ashwin. Get Tiwary a few games in place of Jadeja.

params7

Banned
hNxfx.jpg

I never liked Kohli for some reason but this ton was NICE. Screw Malinga. Also great contribution from Raina, hope he keeps it up.

edit:
lol irfan avatar

artist

Banned
Cricinfo said:
Kallis to bowl, can he finish things off?

46.1 Kallis to Ellis, no run, short of a good length, Ellis mistimes a pull towards midwicket
46.2 Kallis to Ellis, SIX, excellent strike by Ellis, landed on a length and he got under it superbly, launching Kallis for a maximum over the long-on boundary
46.3 Kallis to Ellis, no run, pitched on a length outside off again, swings across the line, mistimes it to midwicket
46.4 Kallis to Ellis, 1 leg bye, slower one that he failed to pick, tried to flick it over square leg but was into the shot too early, a leg bye behind point
46.5 Kallis to McKay, no run, back of a length on the off, gets back and defends it solidly to cover
46.6 Kallis to McKay, no run, short of a good length, stays back and offers Kallis the straight bat
68879508-jacques-kallis.jpg

Cant finish off the tail and instead gets hit for a six by the tailender ..

artist

Banned
Well, well, Baddin is back!

West Indies ODI Squad: Michael Clarke (capt), Shane Watson, George Bailey, Daniel Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, Brad Haddin, Ben Hilfenhaus, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Matthew Wade (wk), David Warner

Twenty20 Squad: George Bailey (capt), Shane Watson, Daniel Christian, Xavier Doherty, Peter Forrest, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Matthew Wade (wk), David Warner

legend166

On last night - the Sri Lankans bowled way too full all night. When Angelo Mathews bowled slower balls short of a length it was completely different.

Just really, really bad bowling to go with some tremendous batting.

artist

Banned
lol nice avatar irfan
Thanks!

The Indian selectors have picked the squad for Asia Cup, Sehwag and Zaheer rested.

I was right on the money with this:
In regards to him being India's captain, its not too far off. If Dhoni continues the way he's currently captaining, he might not last till the next WC despite that being a goal of Dhoni's. Kohli has already won a WC as an Under-19 captain.

Today Kohli has been named the vice-captain for Asia Cup.

Cricinfo said:
Kohli's elevation to vice-captaincy comes after his sustained run of success in one-day cricket. He was the highest run-getter in the format in 2011, is the leading run-scorer in the ongoing Commonwealth Bank series and has been one of India's few bright spots on the dismal tour of Australia. "The selection committee and board feels that Virat Kohli could be good future captaincy material," Kris Srikkanth, the chairman of selectors, told reporters in Mumbai.

Yusuf Pathan is also back, hopefully he performs well and kicks that useless-Jadeja out of the team.

Top Bottom