• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Dynedom

Good innings from Australia but they looked on track for something bigger. Good job by SL to scale it back somewhat.

In regards to the no ball incident, I can't really defend Mahela. Late or not, you have to call it as it is.

272 is doable. If Jayawardena keeps his cool and Dilshan carries his confidence from his bowling spell, this could be a good contest. The deep batting in this side will be the difference maker. If they can play a calm innings with wicket in hands by the last 10-15, it's very possible. No silly run outs either (looking at you, Dilshan!).

artist

Banned
In regards to the no ball incident, I can't really defend Mahela. Late or not, you have to call it as it is.
The problem wasnt that it was late. It was Clarke who stopped the game and pushed the umpires to call it.

Sky team now piling on Clarke for the incident and rightly so.

artist

Banned
dude.... it was nearly at the shoulders

not sure why its even an issue.
No one is saying that the call wasnt correct. Just that Clarke has no right to stop the game and ask the umpire to call it. If you look at the replays, he refused to go back to the crease and refuse to play until the umpire called it. Everyone, including the umpires, bowler, keeper, field were on the mark ready for the next ball.

midonnay

lol, maybe the umpire should be asked what happened rather than making shit up ;)

obviously the fact that a six had to be changed into a four caused the delay.

Dynedom

50 for Dilshan. Fantastic. Mahela (barring bad luck) should be following suite.

Unbelievable start. Australia have no idea what to do.

Also, Doherty has the funniest run up I have ever seen.

edit: There it is. Nice one Mahela. Keep it up.

Rezbit

Really poor bowling, but just highlighting how poor the batting was, too. The Sri Lankans are showing how you play Adelaide Oval, the "best" pitch in Australia. The pitch does nothing. You can score off every damn ball.

Edit: wow really poor decision that. Sums it up though.

Dynedom

Ooooh, Watson robbed. The Australians can thank India now (I mean that in a sarcastic way, obviously). That would have been overturned by DRS.

edit: Finally got a breakthrough. Might be far too late though. If Sangakarra plays sensibly, that is.

Dynedom

Ouch, McKay robbed now. I guess LBW's are harder to judge (did it pitch outside off?) but damn. That looked good. Would that have been overturned under DRS?

edit: There he goes now.

Dynedom

Done and dusted. With overs and plenty of wickets to spare. Sangakkara getting his 50 to end it is icing on the cake.

Everything that needed to happen did. Jayawardena and Dilshan gave them a great start and Sangakkara batted sensibly to see them through.

At this point, I'd be pretty disappointed if SL lost the series. They've shown they can beat Australia and I don't think any team has fought harder than them in this series, even in losses. It'll be a great turnaround from their South Africa tour if they can do it.

Funny thing is that the added depth in the batting wasn't even needed. I wonder if Mahela will go with the same lineup for the final, if Matthews isn't well. I'm also wondering about Clarke. Will Australia rest him for the Windies or bring him in for the final?

edit: Not going to bother staying up for the ceremony. Dilshan should be MOTM. He did well with the ball, some good fielding (despite his drop) and took the game away from Australia with the bat. One of the best all-round performances by a Sri Lankan in recent memory. I think lifting the captaincy off him has really given him more confidence.

Grug

Great win for Sri Lanka.

They've really had our measure for most of this series. Wouldn't surprise me if they win the decider.

A very likable team on the whole too.

artist

Banned
I think lifting the captaincy off him has really given him more confidence.
I dont think it's confidence but more of a freedom. He can concentrate on his personal game rather than losing hair over captaining the side. Even Jayawardene's natural game is now effected by the burden that comes with captaining the side, his knocks so far are scratchy to be honest.

Everything that needed to happen did. Jayawardena and Dilshan gave them a great start and Sangakkara batted sensibly to see them through.
This was far from a perfect game for SL, it was lucky that Australia didnt really run away with the game after the piss poor fielding and didnt post 300+ And then Australia gave SL the momentum by giving extras and never really putting the pressure on the batsmen to score the runs. Kept spraying the ball off target and off pitch. At the end of the day, both teams played poor cricket but the result obviously had to go to the one that played better of the two.

At this point, I'd be pretty disappointed if SL lost the series. They've shown they can beat Australia and I don't think any team has fought harder than them in this series, even in losses. It'll be a great turnaround from their South Africa tour if they can do it.
FYI, the team that won the second final has never lost the series.

Dynedom

Great win for Sri Lanka.

They've really had our measure for most of this series. Wouldn't surprise me if they win the decider.

A very likable team on the whole too.

Should be one hell of a final. Can't wait. Another long night for me coming up.

What about Kallis? Article from Cricinfo.
" Over the past ten years he has averaged 63 in Tests. Up to the start of play in Dunedin, his past 50 five-dayers had brought 4320 runs at 58.37 and 17 hundreds"

Also test starting today. GO SA GO.

bonus

6Hhkm.jpg

Kirsten walking like Boss

Top Bottom