• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
Why dont you love the sport? After Tendulkar retires, I'm still going to watching some flippin' cricket and not throw a hissy fit :p

Why dont you love the sport? After Tendulkar retires, I'm still going to watching some flippin' cricket and not throw a hissy fit :p

Nah I stopped loving it long time ago. It has lost its heart. Very few classy people left. It is great but I am not that much of a sport guy to begin with. Time for sleep now. Laterz.

artist

Banned
It's very much alive, and has definitely evolved though. Some people dont like change .. to each their own I guess.

Btw, fatman laid a big golden egg.
JH Kallis c Taylor b Martin 0

beast786

"Chappell then spoke about what was wrong with the Indian culture. "The culture is very different, it's not a team culture," Chappell said. "They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions.

"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility. The Poms taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/556548.html

"Chappell then spoke about what was wrong with the Indian culture. "The culture is very different, it's not a team culture," Chappell said. "They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions.

"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility. The Poms taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they'd get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to."

I definitely agree with this (it applies to Pakistan as well, Bangladesh and SL less so IMO). It's a big problem in subcontinent sport.

That is truth.

Dynedom

Warner and Watson down. This is a good sign. Bowling has been a bit all over the place but the pitch isn't giving the bowlers anything to work with.

I don't think SL has won any match where Malinga has had a bad performance though. :(

edit: Excellent fielding. Mussey doesn't make an impact again. What a turnaround. It needed a direct hit to be out (it wasn't a that horrible a call by Wade) and it happened.

beast786

Finally an entertaining series in Aus this tour, the white wash record holding boring 5 days of 4 test match ,almost made watching cricket unbearable.

Thank god for SL to have a heart and put up some type of a fight.

Dynedom

Might be Herath's day today. Australia 1 wicket away from exposing the tail I believe.

Of course some of the Aussie posters won't be watching the match (or at least watching and posting about it). They're still at work. They'll be around in a little while. No point in posting while watching cricinfo or something.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been watching for long, forgot the game was even on, so far all I've seen is the Aussie collapse. Fairly disappointing, I was hoping for another close contest.

artist

Banned
lol beast probably still rollin' in his panties after getting his post backfired on him :lol

It's only just quarter past 4 here. Most people are probably just finishing classes/work and on their way home.
This game had the same start time as the past 10+ games, right? Never seen Aussies absent here due to those reasons ..

beast786

lol beast probably still rollin' in his panties after getting his post backfired on him :lol

I love how you have me on ignore, but just happen to ignore my post when not about India. Yet magically response when about India. Lol

Post backfire? Obviously reality has not been your strongest play.

in reality Pakistan wite washed #1 test team, while India got WW x 2 in record breaking fashion. Chappell reasoning of test himulation was due to weak cultural mind set in India. I mean what does he knows. Look at you, such a tough minded Indian who got so salty and ran for ignore list. Lol

artist

Banned
here beasty beasty beasty .. *throws biscuit*

Dussey gone. Tail exposed. Here we go!
Yup. The pitch definitely looks like it has something for the slow bowlers unlike your assessment earlier. Doherty + Lyon means SL have to keep Australia to less than 230.

artist

Banned
Dussey unlucky though. Pakistani umpires in this series have been pathetic.

jO8vL2GDTa8J4.jpg

beast786

Still think its going to be close. I am glad SL players didn't make any excuses when they lost first couple of matches in this series, like "we will get them with our home pitches" BS,

artist

Banned
Well atleast this series was well fought by Aus-SL-Ind unlike the 4-0 whitewash the traditional match fixing Pakistan got by England at their home, sorry thats their pseudo-home, poor guys cant even play at home. :)

beast786

Well atleast this series was well fought by Aus-SL-Ind unlike the 4-0 whitewash the traditional match fixing Pakistan got by England at their home, sorry thats their pseudo-home, poor guys cant even play at home. :)

now imagine 5 day test match series x 8 . but it's probably just the nature of weak mind. maybe the match fixing tradition can help make strong mind in future.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see there's still some life left in this Australian innings, I thought they'd really struggle to bring up 200.

Dravid's still a legend though, that ball tampering looks tame compared to Afridi's ball munching incident.

Canuck76

Banned
Hey guys i don't know a lot about cricket, but when is IPL seasons start and is it (or will it) be on youtube as it has previously?

Dynedom

McKay goes down. Decent knock from him. It isn't really his job to carry the team to a competitive total. The top order failed on that front. Lee gives Australia hope for a decent total though.

edit: Bit of a catch 22 with Malinga. He really should not be bowling injured (groin strain apparently). That being said, who were they going to really replace him with? Senenayake hasn't been all that great. I think just the psychology of having Malinga there can sometimes work too.

Either way, Australia have to bowl their hearts out to even stand a chance. The batting depth on SL is finally going to be put to the test if the pitch becomes harder to hit off.

Dynedom

232 to win. Very doable. More doable, even with turning conditions, than the second final. It's going to be about composure now. All the pressure is on Australia now (specifically Doherty and Lyon). If Dilshan continues his form and Jayawardena and Sangakkara follow suit, it should be SL's game.

This tri-series has provided too many close games to call this a forgone conclusion though. That being said, this is SL's match (and now series) to lose. They deserve the win. Still need to earn it.

artist

Banned
lol Dilshan ..

After bowling Australia out, as the SL players were walking back to the pavilion, he puts his piece of towel on the camera man following him and then goes behind and flips him .. all on air. :D

Dynedom

Damn. Losing Dilshan and Sangakkara early are big blows. Hopefully Jayawardena and Chandimal bat long. I had a feeling the depth would be put to the test today. Didn't think this soon though, haha.

edit: Oh boy. Sri Lanka imploding. Chandimal down! Thirimanne coming in wayyy to early. I hope my Malinga-prophecy doesn't end up being true. :(

Dynedom

Oh man, Jayawardena gone. That might be the match right there. The entire top order gone within the first 10. Incredible fightback by Australia.

Will keep watching though.

Dynedom

Less than a 100 to win with 5 wickets in hand. Still way too close to call though. If it comes down to Kula and he fails, I wonder if SL will really lament not having Perera, haha. He's bailed them out of these situations before.

Yagharek

gAme is on 4 hour delay here in West Australia. Only just saw Aussie innings end. Shit tv station

Good to hear the only two competitive teams making a good go of it this series. If only new Zealand had played too it might have been 3 good sides.

Top Bottom