• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
tony_greig_1448204cb1jrs.jpg

R.I.P Tony. Some of you may hate the guy, but he's still one of the legends.

artist

Banned
He was the most fun commentator as well. I'll quote cricinfo;

‎"They're dancing in the aisles in Sharjah!" - those words will never be repeated with the same passion again. RIP Tony Greig.

Grug

I miss him already.

I say this with all seriousness, cricket will never be the same again without Bill Lawry and Tony Greig irritating the shit out of each other in the commentary box.

Vale Tony Greig. Now sticking his car keys into the great cricket pitch in the sky.

Yagharek

Poor Tony. He's been commentating on over 99% of all cricket matches I've ever seen since 1980s.

I hope he went peacefully, tragic to see him go too soon.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Thought Hussey could've played for a couple more years. Still feels like a player you can rely on to get a job done.

his pronunciation of sachin tendulkar is stuck in my mind. RIP sir. Awesome and lively commentator and being. Its him and harsha that i remember. I have not watched live cricket for some time now.

Lamel

Banned
Who's watching the indo-pak odi? I feel a good game coming.

Edit: 17-2, Pakistan in the bowling attack damn.

Zapages

Wow at the scoreboard... I was just going to sleep... Then I saw scoreboard. O_O

Disappointed that cricinfo is not covering the game on the front page...

artist

Banned
India playing for the first time without Tendulkar and already in trouble. Aww, they replayed his last entrance on this ground.

Junaid has already won the game for Pakistan, one of the most lethal spells I've seen this year. Lets hype this kid up like some did for Bhuvaneshwar Kumar a few days back :p

Lamel

Banned
India did better than I expected them to, it was a good effort for a comeback.

But Pakistan's bowling attack was too strong to fully recover from.

artist

Banned
India did better than I expected them to, it was a good effort for a comeback.

But Pakistan's bowling attack was too strong to fully recover from.
Agreed. But if it was any other bowling attack other than India, they would have defended this score. India's bowling strength is really piss poor.

beast786

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-pakistan-2012/content/story/598435.html

International news agencies have suspended coverage of Pakistan's cricket tour of India - the first in five years - over the BCCI's decision to bar some of their photo counterparts.

The blackout continued a stand-off with the BCCI that first began during England's Test series in India in November and which shows no signs of being resolved.

News outlets said they would not be filing any text or pictures after the BCCI again refused to accredit the international picture agencies Getty Images and Action Images as well as two Indian agencies. Some news organisations, including ESPNcricinfo, that have depended on these agencies have used the pictures made available on the BCCI website.

The BCCI's stance is based upon the belief that it has a monopolistic right to all commercial revenue from photographic coverage of the games it stages, immediate news coverage apart. Support is coming from behind the scenes from key commercial figures in Cricket Australia.

"It is regrettable that the politically-charged Pakistan tour will be affected by the BCCI's failure to recognise the long-standing importance of photographic news agencies in the flow of sport and news images every day," said the News Media Coalition, which represents a group of media organisations.

International agencies who are members of the coalition, such as AFP, Thomson Reuters and the Associated Press, will halt text and photo coverage.

English newspapers and some websites refused to use images supplied by the BCCI during the England tour and instead used file pictures, cartoons or hurried paintings by the cricket artist Jocelyn Galsworthy.

Great moments in England cricket history, such as the 19 wickets shared by the spinners Graeme Swann and Monty Panesar in the Mumbai Test, have only scant photographic record. Getty Images' Gareth Copley and freelance photographers such as Phil Brown and Graham Morris have a worldwide reputation for the quality of their cricket photos and all were either barred or supported the dispute during the England tour.

"As a direct result of the BCCI stance, great sporting moments from the cricket tours to India are going unrecorded and therefore lost forever. England's games were the hidden series and the Pakistan tour is heading for the same fate," said Andrew Moger, executive director of the NMC.

The World Association of Newspapers is backing the suspension, saying the BCCI was "denying the ability of editors to select from the best of photography for the benefit of readers".

A BCCI spokesman declined to comment but did refer reporters to a statement issued for the England tour, which said there was "no intention to censor or limit bona fide news reporting" and emphasised that news agencies had been accredited.

The photo agencies however had been refused as the BCCI deemed "their primary businesses involved the commercial sale and licensing of images rather than the supply of images to news publications for bona fide editorial purposes".

The BCCI has refused to draw up specific agreements with these photo agencies so that they can cover the tour under new terms and conditions.

Pakistan's tour begins with a Twenty20 fixture in Bangalore on Tuesday.

Dead Man

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-pakistan-2012/content/story/598435.html

International news agencies have suspended coverage of Pakistan's cricket tour of India - the first in five years - over the BCCI's decision to bar some of their photo counterparts.

Good. Sports bodies should not control independent media images of the sport. Before long you know it you end up in a ridiculous F1 style situation where Bernie thinks he can control every image of the sport ever.

elfinke

Happy to see Johnson at 7 and Watson out. Now if the selectors would just kick Hilfenhaus back to grade cricket the side will be pretty spot on*1*2

*1 pending Johnson's ongoing form and no more fucking injuries. Christ, everyone banging on about taking 20 wickets in a match, shouldn't we be looking at picking 4 strike bowlers who can last 2 fucking innings'?!
*2 and drop Lyon while we're at it. I can't believe right arm off spinners take wickets, it makes me laugh. They're the first over the pickets in any local grade cricket. I'd love to face a session again Swann, lol.

Anyway, I hope Sri Lanka give me 4 days of competitive cricket this time around.

Geez, turned over to the big bash when nz lost their first wicket. Flicked back and the were 8 for!

I thought Doug had two in two balls but luckily there was a faint edge onto the pads.

Nz can take some comfort that there is definitely something still there for the bowlers.

If you've even glanced in the direction of NZC once in the last month, this shouldn't come as any surprise. Our shitty coach and shitty cricket board just stabbed one of our only two good batsmen in the back, making him join the other one (Ryder) in self imposed exile until February. Meanwhile our new captain, appointed by his buddy, the coach, is a moron.

Waking up tomorrow's going to be great. The media's going to tear them and NZC apart.

Yagharek

Oh NZ.

Maybe South Africa could declare at tea and then bowl underarm for the entire second innings to give them a chance of making the game last til day 2.

elfinke

Oh NZ.

Maybe South Africa could declare at tea and then bowl underarm for the entire second innings to give them a chance of making the game last til day 2.

No you gotta save the underarm delivery for when that's the only option to not lose when playing NZ.

If you've even glanced in the direction of NZC once in the last month, this shouldn't come as any surprise. Our shitty coach and shitty cricket board just stabbed one of our only two good batsmen in the back, making him join the other one (Ryder) in self imposed exile until February. Meanwhile our new captain, appointed by his buddy, the coach, is a moron.

Waking up tomorrow's going to be great. The media's going to tear them and NZC apart.

What's the whole Taylor mess about? Did he fall out with the coach, what over?

Ryder left on his own accord though, I think he said he had depression.

If they had those two in, they may have made above 100 today but not much more the way philander apparently bowled. Saw his wickets on highlights and some of them were rippers.

artist

Banned

Truth.

jambo

Up early to watch the 3rd test, hopefully it's a good one for Australia and Sri Lanka. A nice close match would be good.

What's the whole Taylor mess about? Did he fall out with the coach, what over?

Ryder left on his own accord though, I think he said he had depression.

If they had those two in, they may have made above 100 today but not much more the way philander apparently bowled. Saw his wickets on highlights and some of them were rippers.

Ryder's break was completely understandable but he could come back into the squad tomorrow if he liked. He's been playing domestic cricket for the last couple of months and is in great form but he isn't making himself available until the February tour (probably waiting for Taylor to come back).

But the Taylor debacle... Get ready for a long story. So where do I start? I mean, I could go on for hours talking about all the fuck ups NZC have managed to pull off over the last decade. Between John Bracewell basically pushing Fleming and Astle into retirement, Justin Vaughan stabbing Shane Bond in the back at the behest of the BCCI, Vettori's coup that instated him as the coach-captain, 2011's captaincy "election" and the mess between John Wright and John Buchanan (appoint a coach and then hire a guy that the new coach doesn't get along with, what a great recipe for success). The basic thing to get out of this is that NZC are fucking useless and have been killing cricket in NZ for years.

So basically what happened is in early 2012, John Wright decided he couldn't work with Buchanan any more and quit. The CEO of NZC tried to come up with a compromise but the board said no (they, of course, had to go with an Aussie over the NZer). So they went looking for a new coach and created a panel, which included Stephen Fleming, to go through the applications and appoint one. They ultimately ended up choosing former Otago coach, Mike Hesson, for the job. Why am I bringing this up? Well alongside coaching in the IPL, Fleming also manages a number of NZ players, including McCullum (and Vettori). And who does McCullum play for? Otago of course. So there's a ridiculous conflict of interest there but no-one notices until well after the fact.

Hesson moved into the coaching role once Wright moved on, went through a poor tour of India and a mediocre T20 WC performance. Along the way, Hesson came up with the "brilliant" idea to shuffle around the batting lineup against Pakistan in the WC, resulting in Vettori coming out before Taylor and it was a resounding failure. Then came the tour of Sri Lanka. After losing the T20 and ODI series and a couple of days before the test series, Hesson decided to meet with Taylor in his hotel room and ask him to step down as captain. Taylor refused and Hesson then told him that he'd recommend to the NZC board that Taylor be dropped as captain. Again, this was just a day or two before the test series. The first test went as most NZ tests go; decent first innings, collapse in the second. But in the second, Taylor stepped up and carried the team to victory.

Once the team got back to NZ, word of the meeting before the test series leaked out and shit hit the fan. Given that he'd only just given a MOTM performance to get a rare away test win and that his figures since becoming captain were fantastic (50+ test average), fans weren't impressed. A couple of days later, word then leaked that Taylor hadn't been asked to take part in the review of the tour and that NZC's new idea was for Taylor to stay as captain of the test team, with McCullum taking over the ODI and T20 teams. It reeked of a last ditch effort to avoid public scrutiny in the wake of Taylor's performance. But when they brought it to Taylor, he refused, saying that it'd be a confusing mess and that he was deciding to take a break from cricket for a couple of months to get his head back together.

So the NZC and Hesson fronted with the news that "Taylor had declined the test captaincy" (seriously, no mention that they had dropped him), that Hesson had from the very beginning intended on keeping him as test captain (LIE!), that Taylor had been part of the review (LIIIIE!) and continually pushed that "Ross has made himself unavailable for the SA tour" line to the point of absurdity. In other words, they tried to throw all of the blame on the best fucking player in the country.

It was absolutely mind boggling. No-one but a handful of gullible fools bought it and people got angrier at NZC. Taylor took a couple of interviews the next day to defend himself. He gave his version of events (that he hadn't been part of the review, that Hesson quite obviously intended on dropping him as captain in all three formats and so on), mentioned a couple of things that bewildered him about Hesson (Hesson wanted Nathan McCullum to captain the T20 side if both Taylor and Brendon McCullum were out sick... NATHAN MCCULLUM!) and confirmed what everyone though, that someone was lying.

At this point, NZC finally realised that no-one was buying their bullshit and that Taylor wasn't going to sit back and let them throw him under the bus, so they went silent for 4-5 days before holding a press conference. They apologised to Taylor, said that a special election for NZC board members would occur in 2013 and mentioned that "new information" had come forth that they would investigate it. No questions answered, no people fired, just a whole load of nothing. A couple of weeks later, they said that they were dropping the investigation of the "new information" and that the entire ordeal was settled. It all but revealed that the new information was nothing but a red herring to distract people away from their blatant and obvious lies.

So yeah, that's essentially what happened. Taylor and Ryder are expected back for the English tour in February, hopefully with a new coach in charge (but I'm not getting my hopes up).

I could also go into how little I like McCullum as a player, let alone as captain, but the fact that he refused batting advice from both Martin Crowe and John Wright, retorting that his "natural game" is better, should say enough. He's an idiot that thinks he's FAR better than he actually is.

Top Bottom