• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

i wonder how these non-proving players like henriques n doherty get gigs in the aussie line up... its laughable at best.

may as well hold the ashes victory celebrations to england right now!

Window

Jesus christ at Dhawan's batting and moustache. Hopefully this opening pair can tough it out and put up decent partnerships in South Africa as well.

iptY8br.jpg

picture is worth 1000 words.

Omikron

lol, Michael Clarke given out bad-pad, probably didn't get an edge, looked to be recalled because of a no-ball, but nope, even though it was a no-ball

Add that to the ball that got Cowan that pitched outside leg and he was a mile down the pitch as well.

India.

Oh man. How was that even out? (hughes)

params7

Banned
That was unfair umpiring against Hughes no doubt, but India were the better team overall. I can't understand how Australia can be this bad though even on foreign conditions. Are Pattinson, Watson and Johnson allowed to play the 4th test now? They should play.

Omikron

That was unfair umpiring against Hughes no doubt, but India were the better team overall. I can't understand how Australia can be this bad though even on foreign conditions. Are Pattinson, Watson and Johnson allowed to play the 4th test now? They should play.

Of those, I only think Pattinson should play.

artist

Banned
lol, Michael Clarke given out bad-pad, probably didn't get an edge, looked to be recalled because of a no-ball, but nope, even though it was a no-ball

Add that to the ball that got Cowan that pitched outside leg and he was a mile down the pitch as well.

India.

Oh man. How was that even out? (hughes)
Are people blind? That was one clear as day big ass edge there. The no-ball call was pretty tight, with half the commentators saying it would be out and others saying it would be called no-ball. Tough luck.

Hughes got a bad call by Dar but not as bad as Pujara's lbw in India's innings.

If we are down to petty games like this, Clarke was out multiple times in the first test before he got his hundred. Plus other India batsmen got rough calls as well. It goes both ways but it is perfectly understandable when your side is losing and losing bad.

I hope Clarke sits out and Watson puts up a decent fight as a captain in the last test. Only to make a bigger mockery of that four-player dropped decision.

artist

Banned
Cowan kissing those asses of Pup/Arthur/Clown group;

Ed Cowan said:
There had to be some tough decisions. It showed immense courage by the leadership group to make those decisions and the group is right behind that. It feels as though we have come together behind that and we feel quite buoyed by the concept of moving forward together.

And getting ahead of himself (as a potential Australian captain);

Ed Cowan said:
My focus is to be a leader around the group, to make sure that Michael has adequate support, to be a leader in terms of how I prepare, how I carry myself on and off the field and how I contribute to bringing guys through and if the opportunity arises because a few people fall over or are injured or whatever then that's something you would love to do, you would never turn that opportunity down.

Grade A quality stuff there.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not too bad a score I suppose given where we were at one stage. 136/7 now 231/8. Another all round disappointing day again from Australia though.
I can't imagine Siddle, Pattinson or Lyon sticking around for too much longer tomorrow so I'd expect us to end up around 250-260.

Hopefully Johnson comes out firing and we're able to get some consistent wickets unlike past tests. You just know India will bat all day for 1 or 2 wickets though.

artist

Banned
See ya later, alligator. Five for Ashwin. Siddler was lucky to survive those 50 close calls, something something umpiring right? Still a good gritty knock from him, cant say the same about 90% of his team.

artist

Banned
5 for Lyon!
And can you believe he was dropped for the second test .. jeez.

Before you guys think of doing anything with the team, clean up the mess thats your selectors/coach.

68.1 Lyon to Ashwin, OUT, and he gets a wicket first ball. That's five for Lyon. Short of a length, outside off, turns in, hits him on the back foot, deep in the crease. Did it turn in enough? Can't say. However, Dar is quick to rule this out
63.2 Maxwell to Jadeja, OUT, Maxwell takes a wicket second ball, although Jadeja is unlucky here. This one is pitched on a length, outside off, and Jadeja pads up. However, it turns only slightly, just straightens, and hits him on the pad. This wouldn't have hit the stumps
Something something umpiring, right? :lol

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Not trying to discredit Lyon's figures but the gulf between Lyon and the next best Australian spinner has been huge. Indian spinners have all chipped in and there's healthy competition there, except Ojha.

I'm not sure I get your point. I think it's been established how terrible much of the Australian side has been.
If you're looking for more damning stats that shows the gap between the two sides, unless I'm reading it wrong, Ashwin and Jadeja have taking more wickets combined than the 11 bowlers we've used combined. 46 to 45 not including the 3 in this innings.

artist

Banned
I'm not sure I get your point. I think it's been established how terrible much of the Australian side has been.
If you're looking for more damning stats that shows the gap between the two sides, unless I'm reading it wrong, Ashwin and Jadeja have taking more wickets combined than the 11 bowlers we've used combined. 46 to 45 not including the 3 in this innings.
Yeah, I didnt mean that at all.

I'm saying Lyon could have got all 10 Indian wickets on this pitch given how awful the second spinner has been. (where as in the Indian team, there is healthy competition so the likeliness of one spinner getting 6/7 wickets isnt as high)

I hope I'm more clear this time.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I didnt mean that at all.

I'm saying Lyon could have got all 10 Indian wickets on this pitch given how awful the second spinner has been. (where as in the Indian team, there is healthy competition so the likeliness of one spinner getting 6/7 wickets isnt as high)

I hope I'm more clear this time.

Ah, fair enough, that makes sense.

Rezbit

For Australia to not even be able to eke out a draw, hell, not even be competitive for a single day's play is beyond awful, regardless of slow/shithouse pitch conditions. The selectors have been fucking terrible, backed up by some truly spud batting efforts. Warner is a powder puff, all bark and very rarely bite. Hughes looks ridiculous when batting and I'm convinced will only ever be a decent domestic player. This brigade of all rounders, don't even get me started. Flogs, all of them.

artist

Banned
Siddle, first person in the history of test cricket to top score in both innings at position 9.

Take a bow.

edit: Maybe now the Australian coach/captain/selectors dont stuff the side with useless all-rounders. Siddler can bat, Pattinson can bat & Johnson has a test century as well, not to forget Starc who got almost a century.

artist

Banned
Pattinson finally bowling now. The only reason I can think of why Watson didnt bring him on earlier is that bullshit "short burst Pattinson only" theory. I know Clarke said there's no such rule but it does seem like it has some sort of a bearing.

Yagharek

Pattinson finally bowling now. The only reason I can think of why Watson didnt bring him on earlier is that bullshit "short burst Pattinson only" theory. I know Clarke said there's no such rule but it does seem like it has some sort of a bearing.

I wouldn't entertain the thought that Watson is capable of a plan, let alone that he has one to work with.

The same could be said of the entire Australian cricket squad, selectors, policy etc etc.

At this stage their only hope of winning the Ashes is to either pick three players from each Sheffield Shield side, or grant Australian citizenship to the New Zealand players.

tri_willy

At this stage their only hope of winning the Ashes is to either pick three players from each Sheffield Shield side, or grant Australian citizenship to the New Zealand players.

lol nz players? may as well have those kiwis have a presentation to gift the ashes to the poms

tri_willy

debatable, but if they were to play the aussies now, id reckon they would put up a decent fight. damn siddle, top scores with 50's in both innings, what a guy

Yagharek

debatable, but if they were to play the aussies now, id reckon they would put up a decent fight. damn siddle, top scores with 50's in both innings, what a guy

who are you talking about now? england or nz? both teams would beat australia right now, home or away. But nz is currently in a strong position to win a series vs england.

Top Bottom