• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Yagharek

At this stage Im hoping for a clean sweep loss in both upcoming ashes series. That will ensure that the entire selection panel, coaching staff and dead wood players like warner, watson etc all get dropped until they learn how to do the basics.

They need to be looking at current shield coaches like lehman and coyle, and top playing domestic players.

tri_willy

At this stage Im hoping for a clean sweep loss in both upcoming ashes series. That will ensure that the entire selection panel, coaching staff and dead wood players like warner, watson etc all get dropped until they learn how to do the basics.

They need to be looking at current shield coaches like lehman and coyle, and top playing domestic players.

problem is, if you're not MATES with pup clarke, there's no way you'll get in. guys in the past like rogers, jacques, dussey have performed well in the past and weren't really given much opportunities save jacques. i wouldnt be surprised if they lost their motivation to churn out the runs in FC level. but i do agree that aussies need to lose the next ashes

Burli

Pringo
Not looking forward to England's inevitable demise tonight, such a worrying turn of events, just been piss poor during this series and I don't understand why. Why have our bowlers been unable to get the same movement out of these 'dead' pitches that the NZ guys have managed to get.. home familiarity? Why have our batsmen been so freakin' inconsistent? Literally the only reliable batsmen we have is Prior and even he has a habit of getting out around the 60-80 mark.

All very worrying and weirdly upsetting, when we had them 8/3 there was promise, but jesus, Fulton came out and destroyed us without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile India seem to be going from strength to strength, our victory over there is pretty much being cancelled out by this loss right now. Tits.

Props to New Zealand though, they've played as brilliantly as we've played shit.

artist

Banned
Not looking forward to England's inevitable demise tonight, such a worrying turn of events, just been piss poor during this series and I don't understand why. Why have our bowlers been unable to get the same movement out of these 'dead' pitches that the NZ guys have managed to get.. home familiarity? Why have our batsmen been so freakin' inconsistent? Literally the only reliable batsmen we have is Prior and even he has a habit of getting out around the 60-80 mark.

All very worrying and weirdly upsetting, when we had them 8/3 there was promise, but jesus, Fulton came out and destroyed us without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile India seem to be going from strength to strength, our victory over there is pretty much being cancelled out by this loss right now. Tits.

Props to New Zealand though, they've played as brilliantly as we've played shit.
England's quality is on the down turn, has been for a few months. The win in India was more because India played like shit rather than brilliance from England. They are back to relying on one or two guys which is not how they went to the No.1 spot.

Despite how bad Australia has been in India this series, I think the Ashes is going to be closer contest than what people are expecting. Hopefully the Australian selectors/coach/captain circus dont get in the way of the team.

monkey is now confirmed this thread's Patcher. :p

I take that as compliment. SA did great. I hope NZ finish good. I will be good for two of them. Plus kallis is coming back for champions trophy. hurray.

England's quality is on the down turn, has been for a few months. The win in India was more because India played like shit rather than brilliance from England. They are back to relying on one or two guys which is not how they went to the No.1 spot.

Despite how bad Australia has been in India this series, I think the Ashes is going to be closer contest than what people are expecting. Hopefully the Australian selectors/coach/captain circus dont get in the way of the team.

I agree with you there. India is still same it is just australia was so morally lacking. They lost passion. They need to regroup.

WTF is NZ doing. Take those wickets like your life depends on it.

Burli

Pringo
Good start by Bell and Root but the new ball is going to decimate us at this rate, once again they're getting the movement out of the ball that we couldn't, Root needed to stick around.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
How unlucky was that?

Wagner to Prior, no run, wow, Prior has fended this brute of a short ball off the handle, onto the helmet, into the ground and onto the stumps, New Zealand have started to celebrate but but the bails have't come off

iDP0jQEltldBF.gif

:(

I think its just gonna be England's 'lucky day'.

Zapages

great match!!! NZ need 1 wricket in 3 overs.

EDIT: So close for NZ, yet so far. I bet if they had another half hour... They would have won! Prior saved England today!

Yagharek

Been avoiding mention of this all week so as not to jinx it, but Tasmania are about to win the Sheffield Shield against Queensland.

Might not win the game (need 4 more wickets in about 7 overs), but they finished on top so will still win the comp.

Pretty impressive feat given they had to win their last two games outright to make the final, and have other results go their way. That said, it's also the closest season of the competition I've ever seen. The week before the last round, Tasmania were 5th on the table, and Queensland were 6th (last). They both won outright and are now in the final. Less than a game separating all six teams.

Brilliant season for the competition, and a fitting sendoff for Tim Coyle. Also nice to see Ricky Ponting get a new honour to add to his current list.

Player to watch for the future international stage: James Faulkner. A true all rounder.

Been avoiding mention of this all week so as not to jinx it, but Tasmania are about to win the Sheffield Shield against Queensland.

Might not win the game (need 4 more wickets in about 7 overs), but they finished on top so will still win the comp.

Pretty impressive feat given they had to win their last two games outright to make the final, and have other results go their way. That said, it's also the closest season of the competition I've ever seen. The week before the last round, Tasmania were 5th on the table, and Queensland were 6th (last). They both won outright and are now in the final. Less than a game separating all six teams.

Brilliant season for the competition, and a fitting sendoff for Tim Coyle. Also nice to see Ricky Ponting get a new honour to add to his current list.

Player to watch for the future international stage: James Faulkner. A true all rounder.

Well said mate.

Australian selectors need to stand up and take notice of Faulkner.

Yagharek

One step further: any of the Sheffield Shield squads would on their own right beat the current Australian squad. Lots of solid players who are capable of batting out a day or two. In particular, Cosgrove, Silk, Doolan, Faulkner, Butterworth, Paine, Hopes, Hartley, Forrest, Neser, Burns. From other squads you also have Quiney, David Hussey, Ferguson and a few others in recent weeks who have all produced solid dig in innings that have turned matches.

And thats ignoring Hussey and Ponting who are still in top form.

legend166

One step further: any of the Sheffield Shield squads would on their own right beat the current Australian squad. Lots of solid players who are capable of batting out a day or two. In particular, Cosgrove, Silk, Doolan, Faulkner, Butterworth, Paine, Hopes, Hartley, Forrest, Neser, Burns. From other squads you also have Quiney, David Hussey, Ferguson and a few others in recent weeks who have all produced solid dig in innings that have turned matches.

And thats ignoring Hussey and Ponting who are still in top form.

lol.

The problem with the Australian team is that we've pretty much got no one else. Let's go through those players:

- Cosgrove: He's not going to get picked because he's fat And he doesn't deserve to get picked because he's fat He had a chance to stake a claim in the middle order 6 years ago and he didn't take it because he doesn't have the discipline to stay in shape. He's not good enough to ignore it, averaging 43 in FC cricket.

- Silk: Has played a grand total of two (2) games.

- Doolan: He's had one good season after years of mediocrity. Similar to Cowan I guess, but nothing spectacular.

- Faulker: Player for the future, but not good enough to bat in the top seven internationally, and behind plenty in the bowling stakes.

- Butterworth: Again, behind plenty in the bowling stakes, and lacks that penetration that you need at international level. See: Trent Copeland.

- Hopes: Meh. Has pretty much the exact same record as Henriques, cept Henriques is eight years younger and has better recent form.

- Hartley: a better gloveman than Wade, but way behind in terms of batting.

- Forrest: Averages 31 in first class cricket. No where near it.

- Neser: This is getting ridiculous now.

- Burns: Close.

- Quiney: Averages 35 in FC cricket. He's been tried and failed.

- David Hussey: This guy is overrated. His average is inflated by plundering crappy county attacks. His actual average in the Shield, over his career, is 43. Guess what Hughes averages in the Shield? (hint, it's 10 runs better than that)

Anyway, my point isn't that the current Australian team is great. But other than a few guys, they are pretty much the best we've got.

Yagharek

I said they would win, helps if you read the post.
Unlike the Australian squad, these players can spend more than twenty minutes at the crease.

Yagharek

I also said they can bat for more than twenty minutes per innings, and proceeded to list several players who have done exactly that in the past two months, batting in such a way as to turn the tides of individual games and showing a lot more character than any of the poor form Australian squad.

So yeah - you obviously didnt read and understand the point. Anyway, moving on, I have no need to engage in further discussion with you.

Omikron

I also said they can bat for more than twenty minutes per innings, and proceeded to list several players who have done exactly that in the past two months, batting in such a way as to turn the tides of individual games and showing a lot more character than any of the poor form Australian squad.

So yeah - you obviously didnt read and understand the point. Anyway, moving on, I have no need to engage in further discussion with you.

Huh. Good to see your attitude continues to be aggressive when people counter your point.

You said specifically.

One step further: any of the Sheffield Shield squads would on their own right beat the current Australian squad.

That is clear hyperbole.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Sad news, hope he pulls through ok.

Kiwi Test batsman Jesse Ryder is in intensive care after being attacked by four men outside a Christchurch bar the day before he was due to fly out for the Indian Premier League.

The 28-year-old has a fractured skull and collapsed lung.

A St John ambulance spokesman says Ryder's head injuries were "very serious" and his condition in Christchurch Hospital is listed as critical.

He is understood to be in a coma, Radio New Zealand reports.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/03/28/08/01/nz-cricketer-badly-hurt-in-savage-attack

siddhu33

Today was crazy in chennai, with the south derby between CSK and RCB. Goes down to the wire, 2 needed off 1 ball, and Sir Ravindra Jadeja gets it with one ball to spare (RP Singh front foot no-ball).

Top Bottom