• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I do wonder, how much of the money goes to the player and how much does it go to their managers or the cricket governing bodies of their country (or are they not involved at all?)

Wow only 20 runs away from the the highest 6th wicket partnership in history!

The commentators made a good point, despite being up against it, the Indians have kept themselves together, bowling to plan etc... In comparison SA were looking like a rabble at times against Australia.

artist

Banned
Wow only 20 runs away from the the highest 6th wicket partnership in history!

The commentators made a good point, despite being up against it, the Indians have kept themselves together, bowling to plan etc... In comparison SA were looking like a rabble at times against Australia.
I don't want to take anything away from Baz by critiquing India but this is easily his best innings and to think he's not even full fit is a testament to his character.

Johnson destroys South Africa.

So deflect;

lol, classic!

there is two thread going on. I commented on defeat on other thread. Australia played well in the first. SA lost horribally. Does not mean I will loose hope for the rest of the series they will come back.

And yes GO NZ. I think they can win this.

artist

Banned
Full credit to McCullum for the knock but what the heck is he thinking here, the best team in the world will not win 400+ on a last day pitch, let alone India ..

there is two thread going on. I commented on defeat on other thread. Australia played well in the first. SA lost horribally. Does not mean I will loose hope for the rest of the series they will come back.

And yes GO NZ. I think they can win this.
Even Bangladesh can come back from that kind of a defeat. And no Kallis would've done squat, he overstayed his time in the team, selfish player.

Artist still unnecessarily antagonistic I see. :/
Keep spinnin'

Misbah carrying this shambles of a batting lineup yet again, the guy has superhuman levels of patience and determination to deal with this along with all the shit he gets from media clowns like Mohammad Yousuf and Shoaid Akhtar practically every day.

Lakmal to Umar Akmal, SIX, heaved over midwicket, Lakmal is being murdered by Akmal! Length ball again, that's the no-no length in this stage of the innings and he learns that the hard way
Lakmal to Umar Akmal, FOUR, and just so we shut up about him slogging across the line, he slams a straight drive to the bowler's left! Lakmal went for the catch, but pulled out. Good thing, that would have taken his hand on its way to the boundary
Lakmal to Umar Akmal, FOUR, length ball, pummeled away and he raises a very important fifty. That was a downright slog, but no one can argue against it's effectiveness

1UHR0OwxXZlWNZN.gif

Edit: Jinxed it :(

Jezbollah

England have started their post-Ashes-thrashing era now with the first ODI vs the West Indies. West Indies are 19-1 - with Chris Jordan taking a superb catch to get rid of Powell.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really great win by afganistan against bangladesh, hopes this means afganistan will soon become a more regular cricketing nation. Always good to have more countries playing.

"We didn't want to beat Bangladesh so comprehensively, so we dropped a few catches (smiles)," Stanikzai said.

Legend.

Pakistan have done brilliantly to peg back the Indian scoring after Rohit Sharma got them off to a flyer.

Heh, Hafeez traps Jadeja plumb LBW, not out.

Then Hafeez drops Jadeja off his own bowling.

Now Ashwin clearly edges it behind to Akmal Junior, turns round to start walking back to the pavilion then notices the umpire hasn't raised his finger.

And now the pair of them are hitting the ball all over the park :/

Still, 245 is a good score to restrict them to I thought, especially after rohit sharma got his start.

Our bowling is fine, the batting sucks ass. This is a great start but the real game begins when the spinners come on because we're traditionally poor against spinners and the lack of strike rotation creates the pressure to go for big shots.

I just had a look and we haven't successfully chased 245 or more since August 2012 (249 against Australia in Abu Dhabi), only scored 245 or more twice since then.

Although it's not as though India are great at keeping the opposition below 250 so who knows, should be a good game either way

beast786

Great win from defending champion of Asian continent .

Good fight from India. I can't stand kholi as a person(great talent regardless) glad india is realizing the value of a champion ms dhoni and how he is the difference maker with the bat.

Go Pakistan .

Loved kholi reaction of final 6

kohli.jpg

Never has been there so much celebratory gun firing for around my area. Congrats Pakistan and to all my countrymen! Very well played from both sides. But Afridi's sixes may have been the best moment of this entire tournament.

artist

Banned
lol, love the Kohli hate, such a thorn in the opposition's flesh. <3

Good win by Pakistan and a very uncharacteristic fight by a very young and under-strength Indian side.

beast786

lol, love the Kohli hate, such a thorn in the opposition's flesh. <3

Good win by Pakistan and a very uncharacteristic fight by a very young and under-strength Indian side.

Yea, that 5 run inning was a real thorn to Pakistan side.

Shows again why dhoni is the most valuable player in Indian team. Not just with talent but class also.

artist

Banned
Yea, that 5 run inning was a real thorn to Pakistan side.

Shows again why dhoni is the most valuable player in Indian team. Not just with talent but class also.
Pretty sure when he was out on 5, Pakistan won the match.

"Class" hasnt got anything to do with it.

Time for India to move on from Dhoni, it's just like asking Misbah to captain the side for 5 more years.

beast786

Pretty sure when he was out on 5, Pakistan won the match.

"Class" hasnt got anything to do with it.

Time for India to move on from Dhoni, it's just like asking Misbah to captain the side for 5 more years.

Please, I'll take Dhoni even in his fifties over Misbah . ;p

I was disappointed at kholi when he was jumping up and down after his century in a match where India was a wicket away from inning defeat, seemed immature and selfish. BUT, in the last series he barely rose his bat in century because he knew his job wasn't done. he actually grew a lot in small time. I forgot how young he is and still has that youthful charisma.

it's such an honor to be a captain of Indian cricket team. And I think of greatness and class. He is on his way.

I was disappointed at kholi when he was jumping up and down after his century in a match where India was a wicket away from inning defeat, seemed immature and selfish. BUT, in the last series he barely rose his bat in century because he knew his job wasn't done. he actually grew a lot in small time. I forgot how young he is and still has that youthful charisma.

it's such an honor to be a captain of Indian cricket team. And I think of greatness and class. He is on his way.

kohli has a lot to prove and grow. he is still young angry kid. I do not like any of the youngsters or indian team currently so my comment does not count. sachin was amazing in that sense. Dude had such an amazing temperament his straight drives were to die for.

Anyways regarding the tournament. Afridi is gonna afridi. I hope for more interesting match ahead.

Kohli definitely has an attitude problem. He goes on to cite the inexperience of Indian players and give a lot of excuses in his presentation interview and post match conference. The fact is that Pakistan has a relatively inexperienced line up as well since Ahmed Shehzad, Sharjeel, Sohaib Maqsood have only played a handful of games. On top of that you had Talha making his debut. How much more inexperienced can you get?

He needs to give credit to the opposition for absorbing the pressure better than his team. Yelling, fist pumping and almost having an epileptic fit at a number 10 batsman when he lost his wicket is laughable at best.

artist

Banned

I guess there is a perception problem with Kohli when it comes to all my Pakistani friends as well. All of them are posting how proud he is when actually he's quite passionate and driven. I dont think I've seen his ego or "proudness" come off in any of his interviews.

Regarding celebrating in that losing cause, there is only so much you can do being 1 of the 11 players in the team. Probably that century was the most difficult one he had to make so far ..

Also dont forget him single handedly chasing 320+ against Srilanka in 36 odd overs. I dont think there is any other Indian player in the current team that is as driven as him.
Kohli definitely has an attitude problem. He goes on to cite the inexperience of Indian players and give a lot of excuses in his presentation interview and post match conference. The fact is that Pakistan has a relatively inexperienced line up as well since Ahmed Shehzad, Sharjeel, Sohaib Maqsood have only played a handful of games. On top of that you had Talha making his debut. How much more inexperienced can you get?

He needs to give credit to the opposition for absorbing the pressure better than his team. Yelling, fist pumping and almost having an epileptic fit at a number 10 batsman when he lost his wicket is laughable at best.
Please, the oldest cricketer in the current Indian team is 27. Plus you have a complete middle-order and fast bowlers that just came up the ranks in the past 6 months or so. The middle-order is also made up a players that made their way through IPL. One team is completely off compared to the other.

Love that Kohli's driving some people nuts. <3

Afridi is garnering genuine, honest to God LOLs from me here

Shakib Al Hasan to Shahid Afridi, SIX, slows it up but that doesn't bother Afridi one bit! Slog sweeps him over square leg. Pure, alarming, breathtaking power!
Shakib Al Hasan to Shahid Afridi, SIX, smoked over long-off. Bangladesh are in tatters! This is full and outside off, Afridi is on the front foot and muscles it over long-off
Shakib Al Hasan to Shahid Afridi, no run, full and outside off, Afridi moves across and sweeps to square leg. Powerful wrists
Shakib Al Hasan to Shahid Afridi, 2 runs, pushes to the sweeper and races across to complete the couple

Shakib Al Hasan to Shahid Afridi, SIX, sails over wide long-on. Afridi's power is unbelievable! This was full on middle stump and he sinks down on one knee to whack it away

End of over 42 (16 runs) Pakistan 240/5 (87 runs required from 48 balls, RR: 5.71, RRR: 10.87)

Mahmudullah to Shahid Afridi, 1 run, flighted outside off as he moves across and whips to deep square leg
Mahmudullah to Shahid Afridi, SIX, mammoth strike! He makes room outside leg and has blasted this into the stands. What a strike! Got underneath it and once that was done there was only one result
Mahmudullah to Shahid Afridi, 2 runs, shortish on middle and leg, clipped between deep square leg and deep midwicket for a couple. Lovely running
Mahmudullah to Shahid Afridi, SIX, no need for sighters! he did not connect it off the middle, but this still sails over the short boundary at long-on! Had room to swing his arms and so he did. Long-on was setting himself up, but it was always going over his head
Out walks Shahid Afridi, around the wicket

Went from an impossible chase to a position where we should win it at a canter and now we've gone from that to almost choking away a guaranteed win. Typical Pakistan

I guess there is a perception problem with Kohli when it comes to all my Pakistani friends as well. All of them are posting how proud he is when actually he's quite passionate and driven. I dont think I've seen his ego or "proudness" come off in any of his interviews.

Regarding celebrating in that losing cause, there is only so much you can do being 1 of the 11 players in the team. Probably that century was the most difficult one he had to make so far ..

Also dont forget him single handedly chasing 320+ against Srilanka in 36 odd overs. I dont think there is any other Indian player in the current team that is as driven as him.

Please, the oldest cricketer in the current Indian team is 27. Plus you have a complete middle-order and fast bowlers that just came up the ranks in the past 6 months or so. The middle-order is also made up a players that made their way through IPL. One team is completely off compared to the other.

Love that Kohli's driving some people nuts. <3

So if Pakistan has fast bowlers that have done well consistently over the last year or so that is somehow our fault? How about owning up to the lack of quality of India's fast bowlers because of which India has to keep chopping and changing. If you think somehow this was our best bowling lineup, then it wasn't. We would've had Irfan in there to make you guys hop around.

I think Kohli's driving himself nuts more than anyone else. Pakistan is extremely happy with Kohli as a captain whenever India and Pakistan play. He lost the plot in the game by allowing Junaid to take the single easily and exposing Ashwin to Afridi.

Went from an impossible chase to a position where we should win it at a canter and now we've gone from that to almost choking away a guaranteed win. Typical Pakistan

What an awesome win by Pakistan and an absolutely amazing display of power hitting by Afridi. Made quite a few Bengali women cry in the crowd there.

artist

Banned
haha Pakistan doing brilliantly here.
Own up, this was a sarcastic post wasnt it? :p

I went to sleep when Shehzad was playing a Misbah and slowing the innings down immensely. So good to see he managed to make most of it up and watching the highlights he looked like he wanted to stay till the end. Good temperament, if Pakistan groom more players like this, the tag of "fragile or inconsistent batting line-up" will be gone.
So if Pakistan has fast bowlers that have done well consistently over the last year or so that is somehow our fault? How about owning up to the lack of quality of India's fast bowlers because of which India has to keep chopping and changing. If you think somehow this was our best bowling lineup, then it wasn't. We would've had Irfan in there to make you guys hop around.
The definition of strawman you got there. The point was inexperience in India's team, if you excuse that to poor form of the bowlers, injuries or retirements, that something else completely. No one is blaming you or any one else for that matter. I think Indians would have loved to play Irfan, last time they played Pakistan they had more trouble against Junaid's swing than Irfan's bounce.

I think Kohli's driving himself nuts more than anyone else. Pakistan is extremely happy with Kohli as a captain whenever India and Pakistan play. He lost the plot in the game by allowing Junaid to take the single easily and exposing Ashwin to Afridi.
lol, Kohli is relishing the challenge. He actually did a lot of things right in the game like bringing in Mishra right away. If this was Dhoni, he would have stuck with his loyal Ashwin/Jadeja pair and taken the team to a bigger loss. The fact that none of the big names (Dhawan, Rohit, Kohli) fired in the batting and India still managed to make a good fight out of it with possibly the worst bowling line-up in the top 5 says a lot.

Awesome batting by afridi. Two wins because of him. Srilanka won't be easy as India or Bangladesh. I hope for good match. I like both teams. They deserved it.

Top Bottom