• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

That's heartbreaking for smith

Poor guy, could have been worse I suppose, it could have been 99 and not 199!

Looks like another 3 day test on the cards. It's a little strange, if you just judge just the results, Australia has been dominant, but both times we have had to rely on one big score and the tail wagging. Not sure what that says for England yet.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It means that we better not follow on so that we can get more batting practice in.

Not too worried though. Warner will most likely find form sooner or later and we're still missing rogers.

Jezbollah

Poor guy, could have been worse I suppose, it could have been 99 and not 199!

Looks like another 3 day test on the cards. It's a little strange, if you just judge just the results, Australia has been dominant, but both times we have had to rely on one big score and the tail wagging. Not sure what that says for England yet.

It doesnt say much of affects my thoughts on the Ashes at all. 3-0 Australia is the best result England could hope for. This is a team in transition against an Aussie team that went through that pain and are reaping the rewards right now.

I'll still watch all 5 Ashes tests with the same kind of passion though, it IS the Ashes.

Jezbollah

CHjOOJIWgAITSkQ.jpg

*dem feels*

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Jesus fucking christ how have England transformed their batting so quickly.

Assuming something doesn't go crazy here, this is probably our best batting performance in 50 over cricket ever. It just looks so easy.

Our bowling though....

Jezbollah

description will be nice

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/live-sussex-vs-surrey-suspended-5881837

This incident was quite widely reported the other day.

Jesus fucking christ how have England transformed their batting so quickly.

Assuming something doesn't go crazy here, this is probably our best batting performance in 50 over cricket ever. It just looks so easy.

Our bowling though....

Tremendous performance in comparison to the World Cup. I do wonder if NZ are a team too focused on T20 - But yeah our bowling is not good, and I think we'll get undone quickly by the Aussies unless something miraculous happens.

Fantastic series win. Openers bottled it, none more so than captain Morgan with a fantastic golden duck.

Bairstow saved us, with help from Billings who I was disappointed seemed to throw his wicket away.

Well deserved series win, we're back baby. Funny considering how McCullum questioned if we stumbled into our first test win with a more attacking game, don't think we stumbled into that.

Jezbollah

I would give Morgan a pass considering his immense knock the game before.

This belief is only based upon one day batting. England still have a major issue with bowling. The current form doesnt translate over to Tests, but some confidence will.

Antiwhippy

Goddamnit pakistan can you stop collapsing.

Kaushal's action looks fairly clean. Cleaner than what I've seen before actually. I like him though. Just needs to be more accurate.

What the hell is the third umpire doing? Pakistan review an LBW call, replays show that the ball hit pad first without a doubt so the third umpire decides there was an inside edge and doesn't bother going to Hawkeye.

When I say without a doubt I mean that there is no replay angle that suggests there was an inside edge and there was at least one angle that showed the ball hitting the pad with the bat a good few inches away.

What a load of horseshit.

Goddamnit pakistan can you stop collapsing.

Kaushal's action looks fairly clean. Cleaner than what I've seen before actually. I like him though. Just needs to be more accurate.

Yeah, I enjoyed watching him bowl. I love seeing offies that are a little different and I agree that his action isn't that bad.

EDIT: Let's not forget that yesterday this was given not out after review

CIZNEICWEAAwj5Z.jpg:large

Paul Reiffel is having a mare.

Antiwhippy

Yeah that was really bad.

BTW can I say that it's a pleasure to have a test grade leggie back on the scene? Love watching Yasir Shah bowl.

Yeah, leggies are the best.*

England have got Rashid too but I'm not convinced yet, I don't know if it's just because he's playing in ODIs but he bowls it flat and a fraction short for my liking. He needs to give the ball a bit more air to be successful in test cricket imo.

*Spoken as an old-ish man who decided now would be a good time to learn how to bowl a googly.

Yeah, I haven't been that impressed and I'd have Moeen ahead of him in tests every time. Moeen's not a strike bowler but he'll do a better job of keeping it tight than Rashid, who bowls too many loose balls without bowling enough really good ones.

Still, it gives me hope that it's not too late to become an international cricketer.

Jezbollah

I heard about this in passing yesterday and wondered what they would do about the red ball. Pink eh? Interesting stuff!

This will mean I get some test cricket on TV as I wake up in the winter. GOOD TIMES!

Being reported that Ryan Harris has retired because there's no chance his knee will let him play in the Ashes. Real shame that his body has let him down

DeSo

Banned
Shit sucks. My favourite cricketer. Such a champion bloke on the pitch and from all reports a champion bloke off it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sad for Harris. To have spent so long preparing for one last hurrah in the Ashes and to have it snatched away from him. Such a shame, even though it may be of benefit to us English.

Antiwhippy

He really should have gone to the Windies tour. Really should have.

All time classic though. My favourite bowlers in recent years.

By the way anyone mind if I make the Ashes thread in off-topic?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He really should have gone to the Windies tour. Really should have.

All time classic though. My favourite bowlers in recent years.

By the way anyone mind if I make the Ashes thread in off-topic?

Do it.

I cannot wait.

Australia will win, but we at least won't be the miserable disgrace we were last time. It was even worse than the previous 5-0.

Vaddon

Sad to hear about Harris, terrific bowler. I'll always remember that first ball to clean bowl Cook. Wish he was able to play in this Ashes series as a final send-off.

Very sad.

Amazing record for starting so late in life and his expoilts on the final day of the final test in that final hour against South Africa in SA last year will go down in cricket legend.

Late Edit: Not really sure why they called up Pat Cummins, he's barely played long form cricket since his one and only test and he was only decent during the WC. A reliable workman like Hilfenhaus or Doug the Rug or a talented bolter like Rimmington or Behrendorff might have been a better choice. Though I probably understand the need for a righty.

Think he's got the best ratio of innings and matches per century of anyone that's played 100+ tests. Also one of only three batsmen ever (Along with Bradman and Sutcliffe) to average 50+ in all four innings.

I didn't really rate him for a long, long time but it's impossible to ignore the fact that he's pretty fucking good.

I'm trying not to get too excited because I know that Pakistan will balls this up but at the end of the day I'm going to get up at 5am to watch it and then regret it a couple of hours later. Cricket is both the best and the absolute fucking worst sometimes.

Antiwhippy

OMG they're really going to do this.

Sri lanka's bowling has not been great though. Prasad has been pretty good actually but kaushal is still too inaccurate despite all the other qualities he possesses. I can see a good future for sri lanka in kaushal and chameera though, who is also incredibly raw but has all the qualities to be a top quality bowler.

SL are massively missing herath.

Unfuckingbelievable. To do it so easily as well, didn't see that coming in my wildest dreams. Is there a better sight in the world of sport than the Misbah Surprise Six™?
No.

Agreed about Prasad, he's bowled some really good spells in the series and has been the standout seamer from either side. Can't believe they dropped Herath though, Kaushal turns it miles but Herath has destroyed Pakistan so often that he should be the first name on the team sheet.

Younus MOTM, Yasir MOTS imo.

It doesnt say much of affects my thoughts on the Ashes at all. 3-0 Australia is the best result England could hope for. This is a team in transition against an Aussie team that went through that pain and are reaping the rewards right now.

I'll still watch all 5 Ashes tests with the same kind of passion though, it IS the Ashes.

hmm

Antiwhippy

He definitely need spinning pitches for help though. Still, to me he's definitely one of the top spinners in the world right now.

I still love how he so casually destroyed the NZ team in the Wt20s.

Dynedom

I got some tongue-in-cheek messages from my friend (Indian) about how CRicInfo just got a new wicket-replay video feature and its nice because I can watch Ashwin's annihilation of our lineup (which is true, he got a 10W haul). Pointed out Sanga is the only guy we had and to prepare for an ass-kicking.

The fact that all of that ended up blowing up in his face is amazing. The win is going to go down as one of SL's best. They were underdogs going in, AT HOME

Dinesh Chandimal is finally coming into his own. Do I dare get my hopes up? I can't stand the heartbreak.

Top Bottom