• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I must say that the new cricinfo replay system is actually pretty awesome.

One of the few things they got right site design-wise.

I suppose they are going to want 2 spinners so I imagine it will be one of:

Bancroft
SMarsh
Smith
Burns/Khawaja
Voges
MMarsh
Nevill
O'Keefe
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

or

Bancroft
SMarsh
Smith
Burns/Khawaja
Voges
Maxwell
Nevill
Siddle
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

or if they completely lose their minds

Bancroft
SMarsh
Smith
Voges
Maxwell
MMarsh
Nevill
Siddle
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

No Yasir Shah so Pakistan's bowling attack suddenly looks pretty weak. No idea why the selectors didn't have a third spinner in the squad, especially when Hafeez isn't allowed to bowl and Malik's action isn't exactly above suspicion.

Onus is on the batting to get 450+ otherwise it's going to be tricky.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Doesn't look like a threatening pitch though. Though yeah, I think zufiqar babar is ok but he's not going to carry the bowling like shah has been doing.

Hafeez you muppet, what were you thinking?

Stage was set for this pair to bat out the entire day and really make England toil, so he walks all the way across his stumps on 98 and misses a straight one. Idiot.

Doesn't look like a threatening pitch though. Though yeah, I think zufiqar babar is ok but he's not going to carry the bowling like shah has been doing.

Yeah, he's definitely a second spinner rather than someone who can lead an attack. He wouldn't even be in the squad is Rehman hadn't got the yips and fallen off the face of the earth.

If Shah was fit and playing then 300 would be a good total, without him then Pakistan need 150-200 more than that and rely on scoreboard pressure to take a couple of wickets.

kmag

That DRS decision for Misbah was almost as shocking as Englands catching. Not to come over all conspiracy theorist but if it wasn't an Indian 3rd umpire that would never have been overturned.

Poor Rashid, took Bryce McGain's record of the worst figures on debut. Let's hope Rashid's career lasts longer than McGains!

Moeen really needs to find a batting cadence somewhere between shoot from the hip all out attack and digging in.

So sad he didn't beat his 294 :( He looks pretty annoyed too, could just be the fact that he's been standing on a shit wicket for 4 days straight though

Hmm, so is that a no ball then? Surely its when the foot goes down?

I haven't even bothered waking up early to watch the last two days because it's seemed like a foregone conclusion that Cook would keep batting and batting. Which is the cue for Pakistan to collapse to 70 all out in the morning.

At least Herath is keeping current test cricket interesting.

Im trying to work out what would happen *if* we did get them all out. How long do we have time wise? Im not concerned about them getting a score if we had even a little amount of time to do it but what is available?

Make up over from today/previous days plus an extra half an hour? Its unlikely we will get all 3 of these wickets I guess, shame.

Right now there is a minimum of 24 overs remaining, lose 2 with a change of innings. Chasing 100-110 in 18-20 overs would be entertaining, need to get the final 3 real quick.

Rashid only needs 1 more for 5 on debut. Is he going to go from Bryce McGain to Jason Krezja?

kmag

Right now there is a minimum of 24 overs remaining, lose 2 with a change of innings. Chasing 100-110 in 18-20 overs would be entertaining, need to get the final 3 real quick.

Rashid only needs 1 more for 5 on debut. Is he going to go from Bryce McGain to Jason Krezja?

They went off at 5.37pm yesterday due to light, there's probably less than an hour left and Pakistan will sloooow the game down.

kmag

And number 11 goes to the exact same ball next up.

Well played England. How the fuck did Pakistan get into the position to lose this game. They batted for nearly 3 days.

kmag

RASHIIIIID.

I don't care if we risk losing, balls to the wall go out there and try to win, pray that mother nature is an England fan

Don't worry, bad light is never a factor when England are chasing a win. They've played in pitch black before against the same opposition.

kmag

100 to win and potentially 19 overs to get them, but probably only an hours play. If Pakistan bowl more than 12 overs I'd be amazed.

Whatever happens, Cook man of the match.

Captain needs to step aside from opening though, come in at 4/5 if we lose some wickets.

Buttler out there instead of Cook, he's been short of runs in test matches recently so hopefully he can have a good knock even if its a reasonably short cameo

kmag

Have a pacer on at one end to make it easier to milk the clock, not as easy to waste time with two spinners.

What a stupid cricket team. Bowler rolls his ankle on the ball and doesn't call for the physio.

And frankly it's Misbah's fault. He was about 2 overs away from a handshake when he decided to charge Ali.

What a stupid cricket team. Bowler rolls his ankle on the ball and doesn't call for the physio.

And frankly it's Misbah's fault. He was about 2 overs away from a handshake when he decided to charge Ali.

It's a master stroke to make sure England keep the same team composition for the next game.

Stokes -> Bell -> Cook for me

Im wondering if Cook pushing the ball around a lot to complement someone else going for it a bit more would be good but we should persist for now

Top Bottom