• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

legend166

Gabba tests are always so boring. We haven't lost there since 1988 (!) and if you look at the results we haven't even come close to losing. The closest was the 4 wicket win over India last year, but even that was deceptive since we chased 130 in 23 overs and never seriously looked like losing.

There have been a couple of high scoring snoozefest draws in there as well.

master15

We should have made a thread to get Yanks to watch it. Love watching Shoaib at it again, miss deadly face bowling.

Also love Punting, being deadly serious and pure concentration for the win.

If you were a cricket fan of the 90's it was great to see legends like Wasim, Aktar, Warne, Mr.800 and Ambrose among others.

Does make me pine for days gone by.

Yep, no era where James Anderson is in the top three fast bowlers in the world can be worthwhile.

Except for Misbah ofc

master15

Good win by Australia. McCullum got a rough call but all around great performance.

I hope Kiwi's show more of a fight in Perth...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They're down southern and they're going to call in another pie thrower ala Craig with Mitch mcglenanananananghan to replace neesham. Going to be hard for them.

bomma_man

Mitch Johnson said:
Fast-bowler Mitchell Johnson conceded on Wednesday that Williamson had taken the Australians by surprise with his performance in Brisbane "It is a bit of a surprise to me the way he played - I hadn't seen a lot of him," Johnson said. "I knew about him (but) I didn't realise what a good player he is. He can play all of the shots. He looked good in defence and I am really looking forward to playing him out here (at the WACA) on a ground that I really enjoy bowling on and really test myself against him.

Are australian cricketers really this uninformed/poorly prepared? It would certainly explain the ashes debacle.

Are australian cricketers really this uninformed/poorly prepared? It would certainly explain the ashes debacle.

It's a strange one, everyone else on the planet already knew he was world class, do they not have newspapers/internet etc... I suspect it may be down to Boof's coaching mentality, it's all about getting the Aussies performing their best and backing their best to overcome all, not over analysing the opposition like under Arthur's reign.

They keep going on about how tomorrow is the penultimate test at the WACA but I was under the impression only the big teams, England, India and SA, would play test cricket at the new Burswood Stadium while the "lesser" teams would still play at the WACA. I wonder if something has changed?

Antiwhippy

Yeah, nz and aus haven't played tests against each other for like, 5 years now? I'm guessing at that level experience facing off each other counts a lot more than just reading up n them.

Is this a replay of the 1st test?

Records from Brisbane: Highest ever total between 2 openers in partnership in a test and the 4th highest runs scored by the openers in a test (not in partnership).

Antiwhippy

I know, but that doesn't change my stance. Our pitches suit our style well, which is basically to be tall and fast, but does fuck all for the seamers and swingers. Makes it too one note.

DeSo

Banned
Been minimal swing or seam for the Kiwis. You'd think our quicks will enjoy the pace and bounce more. Be interested to see if Starc can get some swing.

Been minimal swing or seam for the Kiwis. You'd think our quicks will enjoy the pace and bounce more. Be interested to see if Starc can get some swing.

Bracewell was getting a little bit before tea but the Kiwi's are so inconsistent any pressure they build is let off the next over. There may not be much in the pitch for sub 130-140km/h bowlers so this should be the time they concentrate on line and length but it's been complete dross.

Replacing the ball after 3 deliveries? Lol, Kookaburra need to get their shit together. Their quality has decreased dramatically over the years. Might be time to go Dukes worldwide.

kmag

Bracewell was getting a little bit before tea but the Kiwi's are so inconsistent any pressure they build is let off the next over. There may not be much in the pitch for sub 130-140km/h bowlers so this should be the time they concentrate on line and length but it's been complete dross.

There's not a lot of depth in NZ cricket, Boult came in undercooked off a stress fracture and Southee has been struggling with his ankles. Outside of that they're a pretty ordinary bowling attack, and frankly they're a condition dependent attack like all swing led attacks. But as you say, in the absence of swing, it's time to for dry line and length bowling to induce the mistake.

The ODI series against England without Boult and with a struggling Southee was testament to the limitation of their attack, for all the talk of the New England, the Kiwi's served up pie after pie.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, grats to Warner but man, I was hoping for a competitive series.

NZ was our best chance for one but they just can't handle it.

Then we have the west Indies next which should be an even bigger drubbing.

The home advantage is so strong nowadays that it's in danger of making test cricket boring.

Antiwhippy

Man, looking at the highlights NZ bowled a lot of short/wide and too full dross. Boult has been a serious disappointment for me. Couldn't get any rhythm at all.

Glad to see warner playing more straight though. He can do it better in australia where there's not too much swing to account for.

Yeah, grats to Warner but man, I was hoping for a competitive series.

NZ was our best chance for one but they just can't handle it.

Then we have the west Indies next which should be an even bigger drubbing.

The home advantage is so strong nowadays that it's in danger of making test cricket boring.

At least 4 of the Windies will be playing in the Big Bash instead of the Test Series. Good work CA, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Jezbollah

Holy crap. I hate Warner, he's a bell-end but blimey that was a knock.

Changing the subject - just saw this. Quality.

11254514_10153452826332599_5066734779894699348_n.jpg

legend166

....is that actually Brad Haddin?

I mean, it's funny on first glance but if that story is real it's juvenile stuff.

Edit: okay nevermind, that's not actually Brad Haddin's Instagram account.

CT1TIptUwAAqNxs.jpg

one of the big reason i loved cricket is right there. So much talent. Loved every single one of them. I have not seen full cricket match in 15 years.

Yagharek

Is that Curtly Ambrose up the back?

I will never forget the contests between him and Steve Waugh in the early-mid 1990s.

Probably the most intimidating bowler in the last 30 years.

Is that Curtly Ambrose up the back?

I will never forget the contests between him and Steve Waugh in the early-mid 1990s.

Probably the most intimidating bowler in the last 30 years.

I think it's Courtney Walsh?

Curtley has a strange haircut now, shaved back and sides and beads and red colouring up top!

Antiwhippy

Unless we have another classic aussie lollappse (which has every chance of happening, mind you) this match seems like it's going to be a very boring way to farewell the waca.

Top Bottom