• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

m3k

Am new zealander, am proud of it being a competitive entertaining game... For an introduction to the day night test.

I never really thought they would win though.

Edit: Damn it! Lol

good entertaining game.

An annual day/night test at Adelaide oval is ok with me.

I also think that playing a regular day/night test will improve Australian batting in the long run too. Its definitely going to make sure the batsmen can play swing better and also coming in and chasing low totals or after a few quick wickets. It should hold us in good stead when touring England.

Nathan Coulter-Nile called up to the Aussie squad for Adelaide as the Starc replacement and I assume Hazlewood will get rested so will probably play. It's like throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded atm. NCN hasn't played shield this season or even a first class match since March.

Scott Boland is on standby, averaging 12 and striking at 37 this season.

legend166

Why would they rest Hazlewood? I mean I know the West Indies probably couldn't beat the Tasmanian second XI but there's 11 days between Adelaide and Hobart. That's enough time to rest.

There was an article on Cricinfo a few days ago where Craig McDermott described the bowlers he wanted. They are actively looking for and nurturing 140 km/h+ bowlers and that list is pretty small: Starc (injured), Pattinson (coming back from long term injury), Cummins (Injured), Behrendorff (injured), Doug the Rug (Old and comedy hair) and the two names McDermott specifically mentioned NCN (discipline and form problems) and Joel Paris (Very young but very good and yet again injury prone, finally made his debut for WA over the weekend and took 6 at 20). I can't think of anyone else.

Hazelwood bowling mid 130's up to 140 has the benefit and height/bounce and accuracy, Bird is a great backup for him but Siddle's 125 km/h isn't really going to cut it in the long run.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha, rahane is pretty awesome though. I've always rated him higher than the other Indian superstars.

But really, something is probably up with the pitch if fucking jadeja can be this destructive.

Antiwhippy

Also the west indies is facing an innings defeat to a put together CA XI team who are all nowhere near test selection.

This series is going to be fun, huh.

Also the west indies is facing an innings defeat to a put together CA XI team who are all nowhere near test selection.

This series is going to be fun, huh.

I've only ever heard of 3 of the CA XI, Boyce, Milenko and Silk! I'll never understand why Boyce was picked for Australia in 20/20.

Yagharek

Talk about the Hobart test being set up to fail.

No advertising. Shit visiting team. Oh but if you don't get full house on every day then it never comes back again, no pressure.

They will blame the Tasmanian public for not turning up to watch test cricket when they have only ever been thrown scraps* in recent decades.

(* By scraps I mean teams that aren't England or India. Despite which there have been some entertaining matches vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan and NZ).

Cricket Australia are dickheads.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Crazy test match going on between India and South Africa.

Amla 20 (175)

De Villiers 3 (51)

AB didn't score for over 31 balls, the same amount of time it took him to make an ODI century this year.

Test cricket is bloody brilliant.

bomma_man

Talk about the Hobart test being set up to fail.

No advertising. Shit visiting team. Oh but if you don't get full house on every day then it never comes back again, no pressure.

They will blame the Tasmanian public for not turning up to watch test cricket when they have only ever been thrown scraps* in recent decades.

(* By scraps I mean teams that aren't England or India. Despite which there have been some entertaining matches vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan and NZ).

Cricket Australia are dickheads.

Yeah pretty much. Especially given it could be all over by Saturday. I'm doing my bit by going on Thursday, but that's only because a friend can get me into the members.

legend166

Test cricket is such a snoozefest at the moment.

I actually like the idea of getting rid of the toss and allowing the visiting team to decide whether to bat or bowl first.

Test cricket is such a snoozefest at the moment.

I actually like the idea of getting rid of the toss and allowing the visiting team to decide whether to bat or bowl first.

I don't agree with test cricket being a snooze fest but I do agree with visiting team to decide to bat or bowl first.

English first class are gonna try the rule that the visiting team gets to decide if they want to bat first, but if not, then there is a toss. Something slightly different, I may have it wrong.

Ugh. Big Bash can't come soon enough..

Eww, I hate it but acknowledge its required to pay for test cricket.

legend166

I don't agree with test cricket being a snooze fest but I do agree with visiting team to decide to bat or bowl first.

English first class are gonna try the rule that the visiting team gets to decide if they want to bat first, but if not, then there is a toss. Something slightly different, I may have it wrong.

Test cricket is my favourite sport in the world. Seriously, I don't think I find anything more enjoyable than engrossing myself in a close Test match.

What I mean by snoozefest is that you can basically pick the home team (unless the home team is a minnow) and you'll be right 9/10 times. Pitches are either made to be roads to try and maximize revenue (hello Australia), or are so heavily weighted to the home team as to be ridiculous (hello India). The latter wouldn't be such a big deal if touring sides were able to acclimatise to the conditions, but with tours being what they are now, that's never done.

The Windies are behind the eight ball as it is and they've got to play in Hobart in basically winter conditions (it'll be 16 on Friday!), and their only warm up game was in Brisbane.

I only caught the last 40 mins or so but jeez, the Windies looked like they were barely trying out there. Didn't even bother with the new ball either.

Congrats to SMarsh with a Watto like career extending innings, maybe Burns will get the chop in Melbourne when Khawaja comes back.

Antiwhippy

Fucking voges and Smarsh now has the record for highest test partnership for australia.

Tells you how much of a joke this is.

Records I can think off:

Voges 269*:
  • Highest Score at Hobart
  • Highest score by an Aussie Vs. WI
  • 2nd Highest between the 2 countries (Lara 277*)

Partnership 449:
  • Highest 4th Wicket Partnership of all time
  • 6th Highest of any wicket of all time.
  • 2nd Highest Aussie Partnership of all time (Bradman/Ponsford 451)
  • Highest in Australia

Top Bottom