• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Rezbit

Thought Johnson's retirement would come sooner rather than later. Thought he might play out the summer though.

Had some pretty down moments throughout his career, but boy was he scary when on song. Finishes with over 300 test wickets, gotta be happy with that.

The 2013/14 Ashes was fucking remarkable though, gotta go down as one of the great performances in a series.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, there was a spell where he sent both Graeme smith and kallis to the hospital.

Also the world cup might be remembered as starc's tournament but MJ was really good in it too, especially in the latter stages. Damn near turned the tide in the semi final when he went through kohli and rohit.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there was a spell where he sent both Graeme smith and kallis to the hospital.

Also the world cup might be remembered as starc's tournament but MJ was really good in it too, especially in the latter stages. Damn near turned the tide in the semi final when he went through kohli and rohit.
Agree with everything you're saying. SA 2009 was probably his best series with the bat as well. This game wasn't exactly a fairytale ending but it must have been nice to claim the 4th spot in Australia's ranks of all-time wicket takers and get those two wickets (the only ones) with that last innings spell.

Agree with everything you're saying. SA 2009 was probably his best series with the bat as well. This game wasn't exactly a fairytale ending but it must have been nice to claim the 4th spot in Australia's ranks of all-time wicket takers and get those two wickets (the only ones) with that last innings spell.

I don't know, his final wicket was a "At the throat and fended away to short leg in a panic," I think as a firebrand fast bowler he would be happy with that!

Who comes in? Siddle is pedestrian on flat pitches and Pattinson, well I'm not sure he's 100% match fit or the same bowler pre-injury. Bird, Behrendorff, Mennie, all with good form, should be one of them. Might need 2 as they seem are desperate to give Hazelwood a rest, they seem to be concerned about his fitness over time.

As for Ussie, prepare yourself for the return of SMarsh. They won't move Burns or play Bancroft at 3 or 4.

Antiwhippy

Maxwell just scored 98 in the shield, he should come in.

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Nah, for serious though, I love maxi. Hope one day he can make the transition over to the test team. Not now though.

Maxwell just scored 98 in the shield, he should come in.

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Nah, for serious though, I love maxi. Hope one day he can make the transition over to the test team. Not now though.

Right now I'd be very happy to see Maxi at 6, MMarsh really adds very little to the side and seems to have been given an extraordinary amount of time to settle in test cricket. Three years from now Mark Taylor will still be going on about how MMarsh is still learning to "make his way" in test cricket.

Antiwhippy

2 very different players though. Very different. Warner's a basher but his bashing is rooted in a very tight and compact technique. I feel like maxwell is technically sound but temperamentally just don't know how to bat at test tempo. Warner channels his aggression in a steady stream but maxwell does it in bursts.

I hope he does make it one day though. I feel like he's one of the few genuinely good blokes in australian cricket. Plus he's just fun to watch.

master15

Sad to hear Johnson retired but with all the recent talk it wasn't a surprise. As many said some amazing highs and some frustrating lows. His Ashes demolition will be forever etched in my mind.

Pretty amazing he ended withe the wicket tally he did. More changes for Smith to have to cope with.

Jezbollah

Pure filth by England's batsmen in today's odi. Tons by Roy and Buttler (100 coming in 46 balls) plus 71 from Root. 355-5 from 50.

Starcy on one leg still getting it done in glorious HD. Oh wait, the WIN network hasn't bothered with all that fancy new technology so I'm still stuck with blurry SD.

Dynedom

These Indian pitches have been utter shit and the BCCI knows it. These kinda of tracks would have been ripped to shreds by the ICC 10 years ago. So desperate for test wins. Even the SL tracks were not this garbage.

These Indian pitches have been utter shit and the BCCI knows it. These kinda of tracks would have been ripped to shreds by the ICC 10 years ago. So desperate for test wins. Even the SL tracks were not this garbage.

Wickets flowing. I prefer matches like this.

The last two days has demonstrated that there are two ways to get wickets flowing. One way is to curate a completely shit wicket where noone will score a ton and winning the toss is invaluable. The other is to produce a wicket with a bit of grass on it, and play a couple of night sessions.

I was there last night, it was very good atmosphere and tense last session. The bowlers seem to be in the game for longer periods of the day with the orange ball. Rather than just in the morning session with a conventional test day, the second half of the day appears to be difficult for new batsmen to come in.

The added grass on the pitch and outfield has slowed the ball down a bit too. Which makes it harder for the batsmen to score quickly.

The players may not like it, but day/night cricket is definitely here to stay.

It will be interesting to see if after a couple of years of getting adjusted to test match batting under lights, the team scores increase a bit.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
It's always great seeing Lyon hit boundaries. At least with fast-bowling tail-enders you can generally say that they're big and strong and can be expected to send the ball flying if they have a slog. He just makes it happen somehow. I remember he had an impressively inflated average for a while because he hardly ever got out.

Jezbollah

I *just* switched over to Aus/NZ.. They said a physio was fielding for Australia???!!

How's the ball held up chaps? Has it kept its movement?

Antiwhippy

I *just* switched over to Aus/NZ.. They said a physio was fielding for Australia???!!

Moving more than it usually does down under actually. It's a pleasure to actually watch the batsmen having to work for their runs.

They're moaning about the physio now! I have no idea why he's fielding, the SA shield team is in Tassie atm but there must be some fringe players who could do the job. On another note, Boof junior hit 200+ in that shield game!

The ball has been pretty good, the kiwi's were getting some good swing last night and again this afternoon in the heat of the day. Australia has been getting swing too, but not as much and for not as long as you'd expect, Siddle and Hazelwood aren't swing bowlers like the Kiwi pair. Would like to have seen what Starc would have done in the evening with the new ball.

By all accounts the ball is easier to see for the crowd as well.

Got 'em yes, see you're not that useless MMarsh.

Antiwhippy

It kind of exposes how terribly complacent some batsmen on both sides have been. It's nothing unplayable, nowhere close, and those who showed some application could make a start and a significant score.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds crazy, but if the Channel Nine commentary team (and the ABC live-blogger, for that matter) had done their 20 seconds of research, they'd have found this:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-nz-day-night-test-aussie-masseur-grant-baldwin-fills-in-as-12th-man/story-fni2fnmo-1227626116107?nk=de0ab12bc6541a1aafb8367334f754d7-1448704683

Baldwin, 28, was a talented Victorian second XI cricketer and was once registered for the AFL draft, but now travels the world with the Australian team as its Mr Fix It, working as a masseur and logistics help for team manager Gavin Dovey.

Baldwin hasn’t played for the Victorian Seconds since February, 2008 but the natural sportsman is in as prime physical shape as any of the players, lightning fast and strong as an ox.

The likeable team man often administers fielding drills for players at training and has fielded in tour games in South Africa and the UAE before.

He even bowled an over during a tour match in South Africa last year, as shown by the scorecard below.
Still a questionable situation, to be sure, but it's not like they've press-ganged some hapless random from team logistics.

hamchan

Ooof bad luck for Smith there. Really did look too high.

Close game now. Hopefully the Marsh boys can step up and not bomb out.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Hilariously nervy ending this. Shaun Marsh really doesn't do well with milestones.

Top Bottom