• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Dynedom

Chameera out of nowhere

And about the future of SL cricket: I just think it will take time. I don't think we will be lost to the test realm forever. There are some great bowloing prospects in Kaushal, Chameera, Siriwardena (who is making a name for himself as an all-rounder too itseems). Some senior players are stepping up too on the batting front like Karunaratne and Chandimal. I'm really disappointed in our fitness levels (Prasad) and some test players who had huge potential dropping the ball (Thirimanne, Kaushal Silva).

I don't think our bowling unit is going to be a problem in the future in test cricket (provided we are healthy). The batting is where was are going to suffer.

Financials are another story entirely.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh sweet jesus there's a match starting already?

Also goddamn at chameera. Real lion-hearted effort regardless of the result. The kane train is hard to stop though.

He's back!

18xOysI.gif

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is it possible to gauge anything from these WI-AUS games?

I imagine Australian domestic cricket is tougher than this. The idea that Khawaja is back on the basis of scoring versus these chumps is insane. Adam fucking Voges scored a double hundred against them.

Antiwhippy

Is it possible to gauge anything from these WI-AUS games?

I imagine Australian domestic cricket is tougher than this. The idea that Khawaja is back on the basis of scoring versus these chumps is insane. Adam fucking Voges scored a double hundred against them.

Absolutely nothing.

Just look at voges' average against the windies vs against everyone else.

kmag

Wait, nick comptom at 3? What?

At least they gave up the foolishness of batting moeen at 3.

The Compton selection is basically an indication they don't expect Hales to succeed as an opener and that he'll be coming in very early. You'd be better having him and Cook blunt the new ball and tire the bowler, and if you're playing Hales, put him at 3 where he's played most of his county cricket.

Compton is actually an excellent player of seam bowling, just don't expect him to score quickly, but he normally hangs around.

legend166

Somehow Voges is probably going to retire with the second highest average of all time.

Oh wait, I know how - half his tests have been against the Windies!

Haha, given a send off by the spinner!

Anyway I think I mentioned it on the last page, they use 20 innings as the arbitrary cutoff for record tables, Voges is now at 18. He also averages more than 500 against the windies!

hamchan

Just tuned in to look at the score. How depressing.

Glad I played Yakuza 5 instead of watching.

I've been getting much more entertainment from the nightly BBL than the tests this summer.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hmm, wonder how important the drugs were for his injury recovery to play against England.

Fucking Pakistan, you want to love them but they just are corrupt. (I watched the test they spot-fixed in live)

Antiwhippy

I've always liked broad though, even if he can be a massive flog.

Always thought aussies booing him for not walking was the dumbest thing.

I've always liked broad though, even if he can be a massive flog.

Always thought aussies booing him for not walking was the dumbest thing.

Broad is to England as Mitch Johnson is to Australia. There is respect from the opposition fans, we just dont want to say it aloud.

They bowl badly often, but every now and then they get on a heater and they are unplayable. With MJ its about his arm position, with Broad, its when he finds the right length (more full than he usually bowls).

Finn just had AB out caught similarly to the Burns catch in the Aus Windies game today i.e. is probably out but when you zoom in with the TV camera, you cant give it out.

SA would have been 3-32 then.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Broad is far more consistent than MJ was. Though I'd say his highs weren't as high.

For more than a year now Broad's been really consistent.

Broad is far more consistent than MJ was. Though I'd say his highs weren't as high.

For more than a year now Broad's been really consistent.

Yeah they have similar stats and similar highs in terms of destructive and important test spells. Broad in the ashes this year was bowling as well as MJ ever did - 8/15 is better than MJs best figures of 8/73. Broad has 24 x four or five wicket hauls, MJ had 28 but in 14 fewer tests.

I'm actually surprised Mitch's batting average is slightly less than Broad's - I know who I would prefer to bat for my life. Maybe before Broad was hit in the face he was more consistent batsman than MJ.

However, while Broad is more consistent over his whole career, it should be noted that MJ was consistent enough to win the ICC player of the year award - twice. MJ had two 18 month periods which were very, very good in 2008/9 and 2013/14 (this award if for both ODI and test contributions).

MJ was the better ODI bowler too IMO.

Id take MJs career ahead of Broads if I had to choose.

This bbl stuff is still amazingly worse than the current test series.

It's pretty good background noise. Some of the skills/standards have been pretty poor though, nonsense batting, really stupid bowling and some of the worst keeping I've ever seen. For some reason the players want to invent a whole new form of cricket, new shots, new deliveries when in reality quality cricket rises above all the gimmickry, Ussie for example.

Antiwhippy

Yeah they have similar stats and similar highs in terms of destructive and important test spells. Broad in the ashes this year was bowling as well as MJ ever did - 8/15 is better than MJs best figures of 8/73. Broad has 24 x four or five wicket hauls, MJ had 28 but in 14 fewer tests.

I'm actually surprised Mitch's batting average is slightly less than Broad's - I know who I would prefer to bat for my life. Maybe before Broad was hit in the face he was more consistent batsman than MJ.

However, while Broad is more consistent over his whole career, it should be noted that MJ was consistent enough to win the ICC player of the year award - twice. MJ had two 18 month periods which were very, very good in 2008/9 and 2013/14 (this award if for both ODI and test contributions). .

That just further illustrates his inconsistency actually. :p

Top Bottom