• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

That just further illustrates his inconsistency actually. :p

Yeah, I know it shows him as inconsistent over the course of his career but There were long stretches where he was good to very good.

From start of career to about 2008 he was very good, his stats were great for a new player actually.
From 2008 to mid 2009 he was awesome.

From 2012/13 to the end of his career he was very good.

Broad has gone to the next level in the last 12 months. But still has a little while to go to match Johnson's two peak periods imo.

Wow. Elgar somewhat bailed SA out by carrying his bat for 118.. SA bowled out for 214!

Elgar played well, broad stepped up.

This sa team could face a tough time in the near future as ab and Steyn have to be managed more to prolong their test careers.

It will be similar with England while they plan for life without Anderson.

Australia look like they have the players ready to step up following our last year of transition. I'm not sure what is there for England and sa in their bowling departments. There are still three or four Aussie quicks who could walk into South Africa or England pace attacks at the moment that are injured at the moment (Starc, bird, Cummins, and behernedorff).

I can see India touring sa the next time without ab and Steyn and morsel breaking down again and actually win one outside of India.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like whenever people call for mo's head he strikes back.

He's no swann but I still maintain that he's a decent spinner with a higher ceiling to improve.

It's going to be an awesome session here. Can't wait to see Steyn and Morrell charge in.

Can root or cook overtake smith for no. 1 run scorer this year? I hope not!

I feel like whenever people call for mo's head he strikes back.

He's no swann but I still maintain that he's a decent spinner with a higher ceiling to improve.

He keeps taking wickets at crucial times.

I still maintain the Aussies played him way to poorly during the ashes and didn't respect him enough. He's a good bowler who can every now and then bowl a beauty. The Aussies were too aggressive against him, gifting England too many wickets.

Antiwhippy

I think it's more that he bowls a lot of dross in between the wicket takers.

If he can tone the dross down he can be more than a part timer.

I think it's more that he bowls a lot of dross in between the wicket takers.

If he can tone the dross down he can be more than a part timer.

Yeah definitely. One shit ball, one beauty, four decent balls every over. Aussies just needed to wait for the shit one hut weren't patient enough.

Morkell looks like he has a big spell in him here.

Steyn's just gone off injured....

And there goes SAs reign of no. 1 fro a while....

I'm not sure if they can lose it from this test, but it will be soon if not.

Steyn is a fast bowler and picking up a lot of injuries lately. It's sad to think, but realistic, that his best is now behind him. I hope he goes out on his own terms. Not breaking down mid-spell.

Cook gone.

Smith with one hand on leading run scorer for the year trophy now.

Oil take a be one from root to take it off him now.

Smith 1474 runs (still batting)
Cook 1364 runs (all out)
Warner 1317 runs (all out)
Root 1313 runs (still to come)

Huge numbers there, way too much test match cricket these days...

On the other hand the best one of them (Kane Williamson) has too few tests.

Yep, I agree.

Smith, cook, Warner and roots years are all In the top 32 best years ever!

Smith needs 15 odd more runs to sneak into the top ten. There was a year by azzaruhdin in the top ten where he played 18 tests!

wachie

Lanka, the joke. Black caps chased them down in 8 overs and made a mockery out of them.

Out of all the teams going through the rebuilding phases, lanka is the absolute worst, shit tier.

hamchan

Easy win, easy life.

GOAT gets the MotM because he's awesome.

At least that England vs South Africa test is looking really interesting.

Lanka, the joke. Black caps chased them down in 8 overs and made a mockery out of them.

Out of all the teams going through the rebuilding phases, lanka is the absolute worst, shit tier.

God I love cricket, shit tier one day, then cruise to victory in the next match haha.

Antiwhippy

For a season so far where the fielding standard seems lower than usual, this match blew through a whole season's worth of great fielding.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is so Pakistan that their captain wanted to resign due to Amir's inclusion but was refused. PCB should support their captain imo.

Why not fawad? Seriously.

I have no idea, SOK is not the future in any way. He's never going to push Lyon out of the team and with MMarsh now being called the 3rd quick why not pick Agar and bat him at 6 as a batting all rounder. Batting well in the shield this year, 2 tons, and decent bowling. SOK seems like a compromise, batting cover for MMarsh and another spinner just in case the SCG spins like it hasn't in years.

Meanwhile in the crowd:

1451713478096.jpg

Skin and all

Jezbollah

*meep* *meep* HAYLES ALERT *meep* *meep*

Looks like he's batted himself in! 38 off 84. Fantastic catch by Morris to get Cook out.

England 76-1 at lunch, but against some ordinary bowling TBH.

legend166

80k at the Melbourne derby Big Bash game last night.

I can't wait for Cricket Australia to ruin everything and expand the competition way too much!

80k at the Melbourne derby Big Bash game last night.

I can't wait for Cricket Australia to ruin everything and expand the competition way too much!

The talent pool is pretty thin at the moment. The Sixers were woeful and really lacked depth, Brisbane have Lynn and that's about it and the Renegades are a little light on talent and will lose Finch soon.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Jesus, Stokes and Bairstow are destroying the Saffers.

I still think there are some issues with players batting too recklessly. There were a lot of wasteful shots (Cook and Hales excluded). There is still too much emphasis placed on fast batting.

Last ten overs 77/0 that's with Morkel bowling lol

Antiwhippy

Yeah, at least we have Hazelwood, pattinson and starc knocking down the door when Harris, Johnson and siddle are gone. Plus one of Clarke's legacies was establishing Lyon into the test team.

Rabada looks like a great prospect but without steyn and philander their attack looks worryingly toothless.

hamchan

Another good BBL match. Lynn is a hero for his side once again.

Also wow at England smashing South Africa. I wouldn't have believed this a year ago.

Top Bottom