• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

kmag

Transition plus a few injuries.

Amla's a terrible captain as well. Stokes probably wouldn't have been out there if Amla hadn't chased the ball last night. First over with the New ball, Stokes hits the first two for four (one a slice over the slips to 3rd man, the other a beautiful drive) and Amla removes 3rd slip to 3rd man, Stokes edges the next ball straight through the gap where 3rd slip should be.

I suppose the brilliant batting of Stokes caused that, but you've got to give the new ball bowlers more than two balls before dismantling the cordon. You could see the heads go right down after that.

If anyone was wondering why the England side was wearing black armbands today, this is the reason. Matthew Hobden (Sussex, 22) has died.

Sussex CCC said:

The ECB said:

Preston Nomads CC said:
Matt joined Preston Nomads from his boyhood club Glynde in 2012 and was a key part of our league winning side that year. Matt has remained a Nomad since, though in truth we played a relatively small part in his cricketing journey - The Big Matt Hobden (BMH) arrived with the talents, and on a trajectory, that made it clear he was destined for the upper reaches of the professional arena. So it swiftly proved, playing for Cardiff MCCU from 2013 and signing his first professional contract in 2014, which necessarily reduced his availability for our 1st XI to a handful more outings – the last of which was the final fixture of 2015 at Middleton.

Though our time with the BMH was brief, it was brilliant. His performance with the ball was at times hostile to the point of brutal and, having seen him contribute several useful innings with the bat, we were perhaps less surprised than many by his part in the record breaking 10th wicket stand for Sussex in 2015.

But cricket is ultimately a joyous/torturous shared experience around which to bond a group of mates, and as much as we enjoyed watching him with ball in hand, we value more the time spent with him on and off the field. A big, ever smiling, ever joyful young lad, the very definition of popular, he was always a delight to be around. Even with his career going from strength to strength he always had time for us all.

That we will not see how far his talent will take him is a heartbreaking injustice. That no one will get to spend time with Matt again is too awful for words. We are devastated for his parents, brothers, loved ones, friends, team mates.

But we feel honoured that we got to be a part of his story.

We'll miss you terribly, BMH.

Glynde & Beddingham CC said:

The PCA said:

Sussex CCC captain Luke Wright said:

Sussex CCC teammate Lewis Hatchett said:

Sussex CCC teammate Matt Prior said:

Sussex CCC teammate Harry Finch said:

Sussex CCC teammate Ed Joyce said:

Sussex CCC teammate Callum Jackson said:

Sussex CCC teammate Tymal Mills said:
No words. Should have been many, many more photos like this. Miss you mate. RIP x

CXv7FR6WcAAFwHu.jpg

Sussex CCC teammate Ajmal Shahzad said:

Sussex CCC teammate Ollie Robinson said:

Sussex CCC teammate Chris Nash said:

RIP.

Australia ODI squad:

David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith (capt), Shaun Marsh, George Bailey, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Matthew Wade (wk), James Faulkner, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Boland, Joel Paris.

No spinners though Lyon is firmly in the frame for 20/20 world cup. Would have liked to see Lynn as well and I'm assuming Pattinson is work load related?

I haven't heard of half that South African team. What happened?

I think Philander is back next test at least.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha Jesus, that is one of the most awkward moments I've ever seen on live TV. Felt so sorry for Mel.

Control yourself Gayle. Goddamn.

kmag

Australia ODI squad:

David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith (capt), Shaun Marsh, George Bailey, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, Matthew Wade (wk), James Faulkner, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Boland, Joel Paris.

No spinners though Lyon is firmly in the frame for 20/20 world cup. Would have liked to see Lynn as well and I'm assuming Pattinson is work load related?

I think Philander is back next test at least.

Wouldn't Lynn not be a better shout on current form than Shaun Marsh?

Wouldn't Lynn not be a better shout on current form than Shaun Marsh?

When in doubt pick a Marsh, more than one if possible seems to be the selection criteria. To be fair SMarsh has always been far better and more consistant in the short form, though at 32 and 3 years away from the next WC I'm not sure he's really a long term option. Bailey is a year older and probably should have made room for Lynn, though I suspect Bailey will be the batsman to watch from the stands.

Lynn is easily good enough to bat at 5/6 in all 3 forms of the game for Australia but he's been injury prone and needs game time. Though NCN didn't need game time so who the hell knows.

Antiwhippy

Lynn still has time. 25. I've been calling him to be a consistent part of the international side for a looooong time now.

Seriously, one of the cleanest strikers of the ball I've ever seen. His power game is ridiculous.

Gayle's non apology apology topped it off for me. Guy has no idea.

Just looked it up:

"Sorry you feel offended by what I said" instead " Sorry I offended you with what I said." Victim blaming at its finest.

Apparently Channel 10 are banning him from the coverage, no helmet cam, no interviews and no mic. on field.

bomma_man

Yeah, the dude's oblivious. Mel looked extremely pissed off while it was happening. It's really not hard to pick up on the cues.

The backpedal from the commentary team was pretty funny though.

Antiwhippy

Congrats on amla, though to be fair it is done on a pitch so dreadful that stokes could score a double century on it.

It's a shame that SA have seemed to go into India mode and started playing for a draw on day two. 2.5/over vs. almost 5/over, though Stokes/Bairstowe did push it up after Hayles and Compton slugged at the start.

I wouldn't give up this early, Amla's just gone and the ball is still brand new. Another wicket soon could spark a collapse and leave England still around 150 ahead. Whack it around a bit and set the Saffers 300 in two and a bit sessions tomorrow and it makes things interesting no matter how flat the wicket is.

kmag

I wouldn't give up this early, Amla's just gone and the ball is still brand new. Another wicket soon could spark a collapse and leave England still around 150 ahead. Whack it around a bit and set the Saffers 300 in two and a bit sessions tomorrow and it makes things interesting no matter how flat the wicket is.

Draw still probably the most likely result but England winning is almost as likely now. South Africa's tail is long and universally useless with the bat, it's not like they've got Philander, or even a Steyn who can hold a bat.

Jezbollah

Pranav Dhanawade, 1009 runs off 323 balls. Fucking mental. I can't do that on computer games when I'm using literal cheat codes.

That is insane. Wow.

Good on Amla. I like him as a batsman.

England need a collapse to be in with a shout - but then again this is a pitch that could see a number 11 get a 50..

kmag

That is insane. Wow.

Good on Amla. I like him as a batsman.

England need a collapse to be in with a shout - but then again this is a pitch that could see a number 11 get a 50..

The pitch isn't THAT bad, there's almost no lateral deviation but there's a bit of pace and bounce. England have created chances, as did South Africa (South Africa just got a guy playing the innings of a lifetime, coupled against an inexperienced bowling line up who let it get into their heads and with a bad captain who didn't know how to respond, even then Stokes gave them a bunch of chances which either fell into gaps or short). Even England wasted a full morning session today by bowling wide to a team who were not thinking about scoring quickly.

This is the sort of pitch a leg spinner would enjoy, it's not turning but the bounce would bring the leggie into play.

kmag

Umpires should have the power to remove players even for a bit. They've asked Stokes 4 or 5 times now to shut up, and went to Cook twice in the space of two overs. Generally if the enforcers of rules in a sport are left looking like impotent pricks then there's something wrong.

I don't mind a bit of sledging*, but just throwing abuse at a batsman after every pie you serve up is getting a bit ridiculous.

Obviously given the sanctimonious nature of English cricket, no English player sledges, it's all just good nature banter. Sledging is what the foul mouthed colonials do.

kmag

If South Africa get to say 575 (about 60 runs behind) after just tea then they should declare. Always tricky batting 3rd in those situations and South Africa would be in little danger of losing.

kmag

If South Africa get to say 575 (about 60 runs behind) after just tea then they should declare. Always tricky batting 3rd in those situations and South Africa would be in little danger of losing.

Since they're not going to bother with that they should just continue batting as long as they can. Then declare when they get 9 down.

hamchan

Erm...some Indian school kid just scored 1,000 runs.

In an innings.

Wait, this guy's team bowled the other team out for 31 in the first innings then went on to just pile on this massive score in their own innings, then bowled them out again for 72. The other team was composed of mainly new U-14 players too.

Looks like just bad sportsmanship to not give some mercy, forcing the other team to play a pointless game they can't win while you practice your batting shots making them run around after them. What a huge waste of time.

kmag

Wait, this guy's team bowled the other team out for 31 in the first innings then went on to just pile on this massive score in their own innings, then bowled them out again for 72. The other team was composed of mainly new U-14 players too.

Looks like just bad sportsmanship to not give some mercy, forcing the other team to play a pointless game they can't win while you practice your batting shots making them run around after them. What a huge waste of time.

Nah, the coach said the only reason he did it was for the guy who scored the 1009. If he had gotten out at any point he'd have pulled the innings. And as it made the news at Stumps on the first day he couldn't have pulled it with the record of 628 being so close. The batter is the son of a rickshaw driver and the coach knew as the day went on that it would make the guys name. There's not much money in Youth Cricket in India and the poorer guys need sponsorship for kit etc. The guys now getting offers of sponsorship and the chance to go to various academies.

It's getting interesting now.

So the second fastest 200 in balls and the 3rd slowest 200 in time in the same game. That'll be a trivia question one day.

Edit: It's getting really interesting now!

Antiwhippy

Moeen going into super turtle mode.

Still think that super turtle mode innings where he scored his test century was one of the best rearguards I've seen.

Top Bottom