• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Yeah dorff is going to be a legend I feel.

He's been a bit unlucky with injury this year, only recently came back. In no world is he behind Boland and Richardson in talent.

Agar and Bancroft were fantastic tonight both will play test cricket soon, again in Agar's case. I'm not completely convinced of Burns' technique and ability to keep Bancroft out of the side and it seems like Agar has gone away and modeled himself on Smith, given a game to soon as a spinner and comes back as a batting allrounder and then maybe just a part time spinner.

It's time for MMarsh to go away and learn long form in the Shield or County cricket over the winter, the "still just learning" the game shtick is getting old. Time for Maxi or Agar at 6.

hamchan

One of the craziest wickets I've seen right there.

Ball hit into the non-striker Neville's bat, ricochets into Zampa the bowler's face and deflected into the stumps lol.

He's been a bit unlucky with injury this year, only recently came back. In no world is he behind Boland and Richardson in talent.

Agar and Bancroft were fantastic tonight both will play test cricket soon, again in Agar's case. I'm not completely convinced of Burns' technique and ability to keep Bancroft out of the side and it seems like Agar has gone away and modeled himself on Smith, given a game to soon as a spinner and comes back as a batting allrounder and then maybe just a part time spinner.

It's time for MMarsh to go away and learn long form in the Shield or County cricket over the winter, the "still just learning" the game shtick is getting old. Time for Maxi or Agar at 6.

I was surprised agar wasn't picked for the Sydney test to be honest, he had a decent shield season before Christmas and end to last years shield season with the ball. I wanted them to take him to the windies and England last year but it's probably been better for him to no go on tour.

Mitch marsh will be very good. At the moment he is just going very hard at the ball and has been out edging or bowled or lbw from good length balls one off stump too often, which doesn't look great, however, I don't mind him in the team at the moment as we can carry him and a fast bowling all rounder is more useful in Australia than a spinning all rounder. If we were struggling to win, then I would have dropped him, however I like that he looks like he is trying to improve his batting.

Iirc he was a batting all rounder growing up, so he has batting talent, hence why he is going in at 6 for the test team. However this New Zealand series with seaming wickets will be a huge test, if he makes it past that with the bat, he'll have a long career.

Ok eerie, Maxi and agar should all be taken to India in 2017 so it should be interesting to see how they give these guys opportunities before then.

Also, on another note. I made my first century yesterday. 121 runs. I had previously got out a few times in the 80s and one 90, and at the moment I am older and more unfit than I have ever been so pretty damn stoked I finally got a ton in a competitive match. Fuck me though, just woke up and are bloody sore all over. I can imagine how some of those test batsmen spend a whole day in the middle. I was out in the 34th over after opening but it was 34degC and I was knackered.

Also, on another note. I made my first century yesterday. 121 runs. I had previously got out a few times in the 80s and one 90, and at the moment I am older and more unfit than I have ever been so pretty damn stoked I finally got a ton in a competitive match. Fuck me though, just woke up and are bloody sore all over. I can imagine how some of those test batsmen spend a whole day in the middle. I was out in the 34th over after opening but it was 34degC and I was knackered.

Congrats!

Haven't managed a ton myself, Bradman in the nets, Chris Martin in the middle! A couple of 50's though.

7 or so 5 fors, a hatrick and 3 brothers out in 4 balls. Friends of mine and I've never let them hear the end of that!

Congrats!

Haven't managed a ton myself, Bradman in the nets, Chris Martin in the middle! A couple of 50's though.

7 or so 5 fors, a hatrick and 3 brothers out in 4 balls. Friends of mine and I've never let them hear the end of that!

cheers bro.

Yeah I used to be a bowler, when I was younger and about 30kg lighter!

My best bowling was 5 for 9 but that was my only 5 for. I have been on a hat-trick three times but never been close on the third ball. 7 5fors must make you a pretty good bowler. There have been five centuries scored by my team this year, but no five-fors.

I personally would prefer the hat-trick over the hundred. Its a weird feeling, you get to the milestone and you shake your partners hand and people clap. But when you take a couple of wickets on consecutive balls, all your team-mates are jumping all over you. I think its more fun taking wickets. Too bad I am too fat to bowl (other than my leggies) these days!

Congrats dude, I might try and find a team this summer and I'll be happy to get to 30! Was on a hat-trick once but first slip dropped a sitter, was gutted even though I took a wicket next ball. Three in four is nice, but it's not a hat-trick :(

Apparently Asif took 2-22 off six overs in his first game back from his five year ban, get him back in the international set up already.

Butt also scored a hundred but let's ignore that

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Neither of them should be back. Asif has a long history of bad behaviour and Butt was the worst offender in terms of fixing.

Congrats Chicko!

Nah, the sanctimony surrounding sports is ridiculous. It's a silly game that we watch for entertainment and Asif trying to throw games is infinitely more watchable than Mohammed Sami giving it 100%.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, that just undermine what actually makes sports fun.

Might as well create a World Cricket Entertainment league if that's your sentiment.

Learn from the greatest legspinner of them all and take some diet pills!

Haha

Congrats Chicko!

Cheers mate!

Congrats dude, I might try and find a team this summer and I'll be happy to get to 30! Was on a hat-trick once but first slip dropped a sitter, was gutted even though I took a wicket next ball. Three in four is nice, but it's not a hat-trick :(

Apparently Asif took 2-22 off six overs in his first game back from his five year ban, get him back in the international set up already.

Butt also scored a hundred but let's ignore that

Yeah, as I said, taking wickets on the field with all your teammates jumping on you is better fun IMO. However, getting a hundred is something I had always dreamed about and so maybe that is why it was anticlimactic.

Three wickets in four balls is good, nothing to be sneezed at.

Amir and asif back and Pakistan may want to play more series in the uk again. I'd be happy to see the Aussies play them in England, would be a great bowling series to watch.

Neither of them should be back. Asif has a long history of bad behaviour and Butt was the worst offender in terms of fixing.

Congrats Chicko!

Thanks mate!

Yeah it's a tricky one. I agree that they should be punished, but the cricket lover in me want to see amir and asif bowling attack again. Add in wahab and they would win some test matches outside of the sub continent.

params7

Banned
India gonna win it for Dravid's birthday :3

Amir and asif back and Pakistan may want to play more series in the uk again. I'd be happy to see the Aussies play them in England, would be a great bowling series to watch.

Amir specially needs to make up for lost years. Pak going to be a crazy good bowling unit again.

hamchan

KP on commentary means we actually get analysis of batting technique instead of whatever dumb thing the channel 9 commentators normally talk about.

KP on commentary means we actually get analysis of batting technique instead of whatever dumb thing the channel 9 commentators normally talk about.

Strange, I assumed his commentary was for Channel 10 and the BBL, maybe his contract is with CA instead, very smart guy. Could replace the channel 9 guys with the BBL ones and it would be a significant improvement.

Rezbit

One day cricket is pretty boring now. Doesn't help that all Australia's pitches are now just dull. I think the WACA knows the last rites are coming, what with the new stadium and all. What they've served up recently is yuck.

Antiwhippy

To be expected from a pretty raw attack.

Shame that hazlewood can't seem to lead an attack though.

Oh, if only we weren't so concerned about Patto.

I like how the old fogeys are going on about computer predictions, the historical highest chase and unconventional shots and KP is schooling them saying this is how the game is now, get with the program.

One day cricket is pretty boring now. Doesn't help that all Australia's pitches are now just dull. I think the WACA knows the last rites are coming, what with the new stadium and all. What they've served up recently is yuck.

Been dead for years now, the last time it really bared it's teeth, Brett Lee was leading the attack in a ODI maybe 7+ years ago.

hamchan

India were in such a commanding position with their runs total and early Australian wickets but now Australia is looking at a comfortable win unless something happens right now.

Antiwhippy

See, this is why international cricket, other than the new Zealand series, is losing out to the bbl this season. Doesn't matter the format, serve up shit pitches and bad competition and people will lose interest. Sport loses its appeal when there's no contest between two sides or if one aspect dominates the other. This match was imminently more watchable than the shitfest yesterday.

Please don't be Allan Donald, please don't be Allan Donald, please don't be Allan Donald, please don't be Allan Donald, please don't be Allan Donald, please don't be Allan Donald etc

See, this is why international cricket, other than the new Zealand series, is losing out to the bbl this season. Doesn't matter the format, serve up shit pitches and bad competition and people will lose interest. Sport loses its appeal when there's no contest between two sides or if one aspect dominates the other. This match was imminently more watchable than the shitfest yesterday.

Well what's watchable is subjective. I know I watched a lot more odi cricket this week than bbl (which was only a couple overs for strikers games).

But I agree bbl has become very appealing for families and the popularity has exploded. It has had some good, close finishes and some very good performances with the bat and ball.

However I still can't take any sport serious when players are giving interviews out on the field during play.

Also, I still maintain that 20-20 cricket should be restricted to domestic level only. Let these players enjoy the limelight. if you want to play for your country it should only be at odi or test level.

Antiwhippy

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree, and I sorta think that T20i is a pretty pointless format as it is now other than the T20 world cup and for emerging cricket nations. I think it's a pretty incredible format for domestic cricket though, and have given it more exposure than it has ever had.

But yeah, god, I just wish that international australian matches this summer is more compelling than the last few matches.

hamchan

Yep the BBL has been incredible for domestic cricket.
I never watched the Sheffield Shield. I never watched whatever the One Day competition is. But I watch the BBL, nearly every match and apparently so does the rest of Australia.

The Indian batting was a little better in the middle overs this time and Australia a bit better at the end of the Indian innings, but really there has never really been any doubt after the openers came out after the first drinks break. Even with Australia operating in the shallow end of the deep fast bowling talent pool.

Sran looks like a good bowling talent as well.

Broad is on a heater in South Africa.

No better sight in cricket than a fast bowler steaming in and causing batsmen troubles with pace, swing and seam.

Screw 20-20.

Top Bottom