• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

hamchan

Australia win! Finally an entertaining match in this series. What a collapse from India from position where they looked to have a super easy win.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
That match had almost everything. Injury, mishap, chances, mediocrity, luck, domination, collapse.

wachie

Apart from the fielding where they dropped too many catches and the one howler Bailey claimed, Australia had a perfect match.

Pakistan is a much better side.

It was more of a comment on whenever something strange or calamitous happens in world cricket it almost always happens to Pakistan!

It's probably time to end the myth that the fast bowling talent pool in Australia is large. Boland looks to have been told "thanks, but we won't be requiring you to come in any more" and Paris is a year of Strength and Conditioning away.

Also even though Mark Waugh is a national selector, it always amazes me how little he knows about the players he's picking from!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
John hastings has been really good though.

Also the stocks are good in that once johnson and harris stepped down we have the likes of starc, hazlewood and pattinson stepping up, and maybe cummins if he can one day stop getting injured. Plus we have bird too.

hamchan

As a Sydney man I am pleased by how this match has gone.

People already leaving the stadium lol.

Thanks Mark Waugh not picking Khawaja, one of the most in form batsman in Australia, for the ODI and letting him play for the Thunder instead.

wachie

Maxwell comments on Kholi being selfish, kind of rich coming from the guy who got out for selfish milestone in the prior match. Pot meet kettle, both are selfish players.

Funny that he realised he'll want those big bucks in IPL in a few months so he tried to backpedal and sugarcoat those comments later.

Pakistan still blowing hot and cold, they need to sort out their team combination real quick.

hamchan

Maxwell is the opposite of a selfish player with the way he bats. Dude clearly cares more about upping the team run rate than his own wicket.

I would have agreed with him on the selfish Indians part before I saw the last ODI but after that performance I can see why the top 4 Indian Batsmen might be hesitant to take more risks and let the middle order get in.

wachie

Some people can't curb their natural gameplay like Afridi, Shewag. Maxwell belongs to that category and I'll also put Warner in there. That doesn't make them team players. This logic is hilarious.

I'll give due credit to Warner though, dude always puts team before self.

hamchan

The most hilarious logic I've seen in this thread is someone calling Maxwell selfish going for a boundary when Australia had already basically won the game with 1 run remaining thanks to him.

Also I'll just say I disagree with Maxwell on Kohli. Kohli is the most unselfish dude in the Indian team in regards to his batting strike rate. Even if he did take 22 balls to get 11 runs as he reached his century his overall strike rate in those matches have been well over 100.
It's more Rohit Sharma who slows down a lot when the team needs him to bat faster.

wachie

The most hilarious thing is that you forgot it wasn't 1 run remaining. I suggest you go back and watch it again. Also disagree. Kholi, Maxwell are all selfish players. They don't hold a candle to players like Dohni, Clarke and even Smith.

I remember when it was 16 runs left, the commentators were saying "Smith would want Maxwell to take singles and not go crazy" and the next 4 balls he went wild. Remember at this point, Faulkner was scratchy and there was a untested/debutant middle-order. The commentators were correct.

The point is that the person going after his personal milestone in a match shouldn't be the one accusing others in the next one.

Antiwhippy

The infield was up. He was right to try to go over it. This is Maxwell here. He'll try to hit over if he senses that he can.

Those two balls were pretty much in the slot for him though. You can thank Indian bowlers for that.

hamchan

Since you don't know what you're talking about and don't have your facts straight:

India tour of Australia, 3rd ODI: Australia v India at Melbourne, Jan 17, 2016

Yadav to Maxwell, OUT, looks for the glory hit, the length ball gets a little big on him, can't get any power behind that attempted slap over cover, Dhawan, running back from mid-off, keeps his eye on the ball and takes it well. It was swirling in the air but he kept his composure. Has come a little too late for India. Maxwell walks off to a huge round of applause. What a knock!
GJ Maxwell c S Dhawan b Yadav 96 (104m 83b 8x4 3x6) SR: 115.66

Yadav to Faulkner, 1 run, dabbed wide of point for an easy run as Australia take an unassailable lead in the five-match series

1 run to win, with Maxwell needing 4 to reach his milestone. So you're wrong there and it looks like you're the one that forgot, not me.

You were even watching this match too since you ridiculously replied after he got out:

Maxwell, you fool. Why are players so self-centered these days?
Serves him well for falling short, take note all the Kohlis and other selfish players.

4th ODI Australia batted first and they wanted to pile on as many runs as possible so of course Maxwell would go wild, and he did successfully only getting out on the last ball of the.

hamchan

Good timing that this was just posted on /r/cricket about this Indian's being selfish thing: http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/spamkaTl5uqoo1rI51zR6O/Do-Indian-batsmen-slow-down-in-the-90s.html

Says that on average India's batsmen's strike rate falls by 9.5 in the 90s. Australia's actually increases.

For individual Indian batsmen Rohit Sharma is the 3rd worst in the world when he's in the 90s with a strike rate drop of 52, and Shikhar Dhawan is the 10th worst with a 27 drop.

Kohli's actually doesn't drop at all in the 90s.

wachie

Since you don't know what you're talking about and don't have your facts straight:

<tripe deleted>
Convenient how you intentionally left the crucial part out, not surprising.

Yadav to Maxwell, no run, backs away to slap it over the infield, hits it well, one bounce to Shikhar at mid-off, doesn't take the run despite one being easily available
Yadav to Maxwell, SIX, he's hit that 15 rows back into the long boundary at long-on. Umesh floats it full on middle and leg, Maxwell backs away and swings cleanly down the ground. What elevation, pinged the middle of the bat
Yadav to Maxwell, FOUR, short, wide and he cracks that up and over backward point, huge gap there, deep cover fielder did a 200-metre sprint but couldn't get anywhere near the ball. Maxi one hit away from a century
Yadav to Maxwell, OUT, looks for the glory hit, the length ball gets a little big on him, can't get any power behind that attempted slap over cover, Dhawan, running back from mid-off, keeps his eye on the ball and takes it well. It was swirling in the air but he kept his composure. Has come a little too late for India. Maxwell walks off to a huge round of applause. What a knock!
GJ Maxwell c S Dhawan b Yadav 96 (104m 83b 8x4 3x6) SR: 115.66
Yadav to Faulkner, 1 run, dabbed wide of point for an easy run as Australia take an unassailable lead in the five-match series

Try again.

hamchan

Ha ha.

Dude was rotating the strike with Faulkner for like 10 overs before that and having a good partnership, never looking like he was going to lose his wicket.

But let's just focus on one moment of his entire innings because it fits your weirdo view. :lol :lol :lol

Keep being you, it's quite hilarious!

wachie

So it wasn't 1 run like you claimed. lol lol lol

Selfish players are pathetic and their defenders are just sad. Kholi, Maxwell, Rohit, Shekhar and others can keep their selfish games, they will be unlike the greats of the game.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So it wasn't 1 run like you claimed. lol lol lol

Selfish players are pathetic and their defenders are just sad. Kholi, Maxwell, Rohit, Shekhar and others can keep their selfish games, they will be unlike the greats of the game.
Australia only needed one run to win when Maxwell got out. I guess you're talking about how many runs were required before he went berserk, so I don't know why you're loling as though hamchan has made some massive blunder when you're clearly talking about slightly different things.

wachie

He didn't need to take those risks they were causing to the win. But somehow we (some) can't see that he went that extra mile for a personal milestone and then accuses others in the next match. The irony there is astounding.

Moving on, looking forward to 5-0 tonight.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I've been looking at bumrah with interest since watching him at the ipl mostly because his action is hilarious.

Looks specifically tailored to dart into the pads.

bomma_man

4DEDUJy.jpg

Top Bottom