• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
DAMNIT MARSH.

Eh whatever, congrats to pandey, and also congrats to India finally winning one against a third string Australian attack.

Antiwhippy

I mean to be even a second string attack it means that you have to have better options. :p

There's Mohammed shami and then... Ashwin? India don't seem to like him bowling in Australia for whatever reason.

wachie

Also dont think you are fair on Mitch. He got a hundred and then busted his ass for 50 overs and bowled 10 of them.

Blame Shaun for dropping the Sharma dolly.

Doesn't look like it. How many partners has he had since Strauss retired. Sort of ridiculous. It also doesn't help that Compton isn't great at 3, to have two of your top 3 being big question marks put a lot of pressure on Cook to get runs.

Antiwhippy

I'm just glad moeen wasn't chewed up and thrown away like cook's other partners.

Also nick comptom has been pretty much playing the openers role for a few games now.

Yeah, definitely one option is to push Compton up to 1 and get someone else in at 3. I don't know why they are so obssessed with having a fast scorer open with Cook, just pick the best player for the job, we've got some fast scorers lower down the order, not every team can have a David Warner.

Man is it me or art of bowling is a lost cause in cricket now. Teams scoring 300+ easy and teams chasing 300+ easy tells me something is not right bowling wise. Is it the pitch? Improved bats? Centuries were rare now during Sachin, Waugh bros, Lara days. Now every game has like 3 centuries, What gives? Are todays bowlers really bad? Will we ever get another Wasim Akram, Yunus, Akhtar, Brett lee, Warne, Kumble elc.?

Antiwhippy

Well the pitches are flat as a pancake this series, but Australia is without its premier fast bowlers. Other than Hastings none of the other bowlers would be first pick.

Antiwhippy

Well I mean straight up bowlers, so faulkner isn't included (I weirdly value him more for his batting in the second innings) but at this point I would take maxwell over lyon honestly, especially on pitches we got for this ODI series. He's still more nuanced in ODI bowling compared to lyon, plus he's just such a complete package for LO cricket.

Like, I'll take lyon over doherty/zampa/boyce/whatever, but if you need one spinner in your LO team at this point I'd pick maxwell for bowling alone.

wachie

Man is it me or art of bowling is a lost cause in cricket now. Teams scoring 300+ easy and teams chasing 300+ easy tells me something is not right bowling wise. Is it the pitch? Improved bats? Centuries were rare now during Sachin, Waugh bros, Lara days. Now every game has like 3 centuries, What gives? Are todays bowlers really bad? Will we ever get another Wasim Akram, Yunus, Akhtar, Brett lee, Warne, Kumble elc.?
New rules.

It's a different game than before. The game has evolved, rules have changed etc.

Antiwhippy

Must say it's dodgey of mark Waugh to blunder the star's lineup for international duty but keep the strongest players of thunder in the bbl. >_> <_<

legend166

The bats have massive, thick edges now. Batsman can basically swing with the knowledge that even a mis hit can go for six.

hamchan

KP with his 50 from 25 balls.

I think I say this every few months but it is messed up though also kinda hilarious that he's one of the best batsman England will ever have yet will never again be in the international team because management hates him.

hamchan

You agree with me that he should be in an England squad, that's good enough.

Mark Waugh is trying real hard to send negative vibes his way lol.

Omikron

Aus ODI Squad for NZ

Smith
Warner
Bailey
Boland
Faulkner
Finch
Hastings
Hazlewood
M.Marsh
S.Marsh
Maxwell
Richardson
Wade
Zampa

No Khawaja and Zampa being picked the surprises.

hamchan

Khawaja, who Mark Waugh claimed last night is currently the best batsman in Australia and batting better than even Brian Lara, not picked.

lol

Antiwhippy

I think boland isn't amazing but he did alright in the last game.

Khawaja, who Mark Waugh claimed last night is currently the best batsman in Australia and batting better than even Brian Lara, not picked.

lol

The best batsmen in the world currently in fact.

legend166

lol

Everyone seems to blame Mark Waugh. I'm 99% sure if he was calling Khawaja Brian Lara he was pushing for him to be selected.

I'm also sure there's a rule amongst selectors not to throw each other under the bus.

hamchan

Everyone seems to blame Mark Waugh. I'm 99% sure if he was calling Khawaja Brian Lara he was pushing for him to be selected.

I'm also sure there's a rule amongst selectors not to throw each other under the bus.

I don't think people exactly blame Mark Waugh. It was just funny to rip on him during the BBL because of his Sydney Thunder bias, plus he's the only selector that's really in the spotlight with his commentary work.

Truth is Waugh is just seeing what everyone else in Australia is seeing: that Khawaja is in the form of his life right now and looks incredible in all formats.

Mitchell McClenaghan got pretty lucky during the last NZ game. Just needs stitches above the eye.

1453696407053.jpg

Probably needs to get one of the new Masuri Helmets that don't allow you to adjust the grill in such a way that a ball will fit through.

Australia are batting very well and seem to only be picking 6 batters, who do you drop for Ussie? SMarsh probably but he's playing well too.

Top Bottom