• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

mclem

Sometimes, TMS isn't enough. Let me know if footage appears anywhere I can watch it! The vocal reaction was impressive enough.

Sometimes, TMS isn't enough. Let me know if footage appears anywhere I can watch it! The vocal reaction was impressive enough.

Imagine a full blooded leg glance, one which would have taken only seconds to reach the boundary, and Taylor just staying low, and it hitting his hands.

A few inches either side of his hands and he probably wouldnt have had enough time to move his hands.

Didnt bobble, just a clean catch.

BUt im still selling it short!

Broad with five for 14 now. Still steaming in.

Could be over today.

Doolan did the same catch last time too when we toured south Africa.

yeah similar, but I reckon this one was harder hit.And doolan's was a juggle IIRC. This was a nice clean catch.

edit: I was thinking of the duminy catch (which was juggled), not the smith one (which wasnt juggled).

Taylors was better than both of them IMO. It was as clean as Smiths but as close to the bat as Duminy's

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp...9911a7908c8617f76335b71aed5e68.gif?1392470949

http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp...a7fe58399e81dcdcf106b32a932d05.gif?1392471535

hahahahah Taylor took an even better catch at short leg

I'm not sure what I prefer Taylor's catches or that ball from Stokes. What a beast of an inswinger.

Bugger, I went to bed before his second catch and missed it.

OMG SA :( so sad wtf has happened to them.

South Africa got old and are now well behind Australia, England and India in their rebuilding stages. I called it in this thread sometime ago about how South Africa were clearly trying to manage their star players in the last couple of years by only playing a minimal amount of tests.

Steyn is pretty much gone now, can string more than two tests together. Smith already gone, ab and Amla appear burnt out, morkel is always a ball away from injury too these days.

They need to rebuild but will be catching up to Aus, India and England, and even New Zealand, as those teams have already identified some good young players. England I'm most worried about with Anderson looking like he is slowly declining but broad looks strong for now,

I did like how rabada bowled though, that was a shining light for sa.

Guys, try this link for the catches

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...d-james-taylor-takes-stunning-short-leg-catch

Hell. If you cant watch it i'll rip it and put it on Youtube ;)

RE: England - I think the transition stage is mostly over. They "just" need to find a young successor to Jimmy Anderson - and that in itself is a huge task.

Still issues over the form of the openers though.

The link didnt work, the page kept crashing but it could be my computer.

I think England still has some work to do.

They have a great young batsman (root) and all rounder (stokes). I still dont rate
Bairstow as a keeper and as a batsman against a better pace bowling attack he will still be found out (i.e. against Aus, NZ and Pakistan). But he is definitely serviceable.
Ali is becoming much improved spinner.
Broad is only 29 so hopefully he has another 3 or so good years infront of him.
But yeah I agree, they need another young (20-24) quick bowler and one more top order batsman and they would be formidable.

India have enough good young batsmen, but they are lacking a seam bowling allrounder and seam bowlers to win matches overseas.

Australia have found a very good keeper. They have the young batsmen coming through now I think and can build a batting order around Warner and Smith for the next 5 years. The keeper is the best of the young test keepers at the moment and he is a solid batsman. Our bowling is good but will only get better. Lyon is still improving a lot and has 4-5 years of test cricket left. And there will be enough young pace bowlers if they all get fit. The biggest area for improvement is the allrounders in Maxwell, Agar, MMarsh. Those three players have the talent to be anything they want really.

Great test teams are built around bowling attacks and as such, I think the next 3-5 years will be Australia's. Personally, I looking forward to Australian tour of India in 2017. At that stage I think the current team will be at its stongest: Warner, Burns, Khawaja, Smith, SMarsh, Maxwell, Neville, Lyon, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Starc.

CleanWholeIndianspinyloach.gif

hamchan

295 is decent for the MCG but then the target India set in the last two games was supposed to be decent too and they still lost. Once again they might not have scored enough.

hamchan

We finally got here after 3 games but it seems we have a reasonably exciting situation.

Also it's like Kohli is the only Indian player with how much they are focusing on him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, I'm all for maxwell going great. Even when he plays a typical maxwell innings I can't have a go at him. Maxwell not being maxwell would make the ODI game very boring.

Chad Sayers and Jackson Bird into the test squad for New Zealand, SOK out. Though unless they move Siddle on or swap Marshes I doubt either will play.

hamchan

Australia with 348. Finch, Warner, Maxwell and Smith are pretty good. Mitch Marsh is pretty bad. He really bogged down the innings and ruined the momentum of Australia.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This will be an interesting test. We're without our 3 best odi bowlers and India seems out for blood after all the loses.

hamchan

Yeah it feels like India will win this one as comfortably as Australia won the others. That Mitch Marsh period really could be the difference maker.

Why are the pitches on Australia so awful this year?

Top Bottom