• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Burns out again for next to nothing.

While this round of Shield has probably had more coverage than the last 5 years combined, performance this week is only a part of the equation. If you are not already on the list of possibles a one off performance like Doolan is not going to get you in the team.

Made their case: Hanscomb, Renshaw, Patterson (50 is still good on a pretty rough SCG pitch), Dean (probably further down the list
Lost their place: Burns, Voges (injury more than form, but didn't look great) and maybe even the GOAT
Packing their case: Henriques (Looks less athletic than Watto and did nothing)
Good effort but no one is paying attention quite yet: Doolan, Turner, Zampa.

Burns out again for next to nothing.

While this round of Shield has probably had more coverage than the last 5 years combined, performance this week is only a part of the equation. If you are not already on the list of possibles a one off performance like Doolan is not going to get you in the team.

Made their case: Hanscomb, Renshaw, Patterson (50 is still good on a pretty rough SCG pitch), Dean (probably further down the list
Lost their place: Burns, Voges (injury more than form, but didn't look great) and maybe even the GOAT
Packing their case: Henriques (Looks less athletic than Watto and did nothing)
Good effort but no one is paying attention quite yet: Doolan, Turner, Zampa.

I was at the ground for a couple of hours (literally live around the corner) -- he looked scratchy at best. Also terrible player of spin.

Also, "rough SCG pitch" was the same pitch Feetbrush scored a double ton and the Vics went 6 for 510

I was at the ground for a couple of hours (literally live around the corner) -- he looked scratchy at best. Also terrible player of spin.

Also, "rough SCG pitch" was the same pitch Feetbrush scored a double ton and the Vics went 6 for 510

Being a terrible player of spin puts him on good company with just about everyone else in Australia apart from Smith and probably Hanscomb.

Not saying the pitch is terrible just low and slow. Needs high levels of concentration and persistence. Holland has got a few almost rolling them along the pitch.

Team announcement is this afternoon sometime and the current rumours are that Renshaw has been told he's debuting and Iron gloves Wade is back.

Double post abuse:

Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Jackson Bird, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nic Maddinson, Nathan Lyon, Matt Renshaw, Chadd Sayers, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade

Seems like MMarsh, Voges and SoK weren't considered due to injury. I suspect SoK would have come in.

Being a terrible player of spin puts him on good company with just about everyone else in Australia apart from Smith and probably Hanscomb.

Not saying the pitch is terrible just low and slow. Needs high levels of concentration and persistence. Holland has got a few almost rolling them along the pitch.

Team announcement is this afternoon sometime and the current rumours are that Renshaw has been told he's debuting and Iron gloves Wade is back.
I really can't stand Triple A* and he did absolutely nothing to earn a recall, except out-sledge Neville. Meanwhile Whiteman scores 54 and 104 under pressure as is ignored.

My XI
Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Whiteman
SOK
Starc
Hazlewood
Bird
Lyon

*Angry Aussie Ant

Maddinson selection is interesting. Feels a bit like a Mark Waugh pick.

Stay losing Australia.

Prediction: Alma dropped by Wade on 14 goes on to score 213*

In a perfect world Chris Lynn would already have a dozen+ tests under his belt at 5 but who knows if he'll ever be fit enough. They clearly want at least one stroke maker at 5/6 hence Maddinson, time I suppose will tell if it's genius or complete madness.

Whiteman may have been given a go had there not been so many changes at once and he'll be next when they work out Wade still can't catch.

It's no surprise all the new players played in the CA XI games a few months ago. They were never realistically going to look outside of that team. Wade was with the ODI during that time.

oipic

I think Wade has tidied up his glovework quite a lot, but yep, we'll see how he fares under the glare of a return to the Test arena.

Agree that Whiteman is probably the heir apparent, but I reckon the selectors would like to see him score a little more consistently first.

A debut is always coveted, and I'm sure none of the new lads would pass up the opportunity... but it's a tricky time to debut as well. The glare of this spotlight will be strong, but I guess this Shield weekend was a good taster for that.

Rezbit

Honestly at this point probably take Wade's extra runs in his average over Nevill lol. As for the Maddinson pick, strikes me as a bit of a Nick Maxwell pick. The dude is a feast or famine player, and I suspect he will get found out VERY quickly. Honestly if they wanted that sort of player should have just chosen Maxwell, I think he has better average and can at least roll the arm over.

Renshaw at least looks to have done a bit and is young, so may as well throw him in.

In a perfect world Chris Lynn would already have a dozen+ tests under his belt at 5 but who knows if he'll ever be fit enough. They clearly want at least one stroke maker at 5/6 hence Maddinson, time I suppose will tell if it's genius or complete madness.
Picking players on a whim or "on potential" is partly to blame for Australia's current predicament. There's absolutely no justification to pick Maddinson.

Maddinson's Home Summers:
2010/11: 437 @ 39.72 (7 matches)
2011/12: 366 @ 28.15 (8 matches)
2012/13: 532 @ 35.46 (8 matches)
2013/14: 546 @ 27.30 (11 matches)
2014/15: 483 @ 53.66 (7 matches)
2015/16: 393 @ 26.20 (9 matches)
2016/17: 155 @ 38.75 (2 matches)

Ferguson's Home Summers:
2010/11: 400 @ 40.00 (6 matches)
2011/12: 486 @ 32.40 (8 matches)
2012/13: 639 @ 39.93 (9 matches)
2013/14: 614 @ 51.16 (9 matches)
2014/15: 836 @ 52.25 (10 matches)
2015/16: 478 @ 53.11 (5 matches)
2016/17: 109 @ 27.25 (3 matches, excluding the Test)

Agree that Whiteman is probably the heir apparent, but I reckon the selectors would like to see him score a little more consistently first.
The irony is Whiteman had a better chance of selection if Rod Marsh was still a selector. And if he needs more FC experience then Chris Hartley would have been the perfect stop-gap.

Australia ODI squad for NZ series: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), George Bailey, Hilton Cartwright (Yeah baby!), Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

Omikron

Australia XI: David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddinson, Matthew Wade (wk), Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird

Mildly surprised Sayers didn't get picked tbh. Because selection logic dictated it.

Australia ODI squad for NZ series: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), George Bailey, Hilton Cartwright (Yeah baby!), Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

Kerrod White playing in Sydney Grade Cricket for Bankstown District C.C. was desperately unlucky not to get a run in this squad!

Australia XI: David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddinson, Matthew Wade (wk), Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird

Mildly surprised Sayers didn't get picked tbh. Because selection logic dictated it.

I suppose Bird has some seniority and there will be less grass on the pitch tomorrow negating the need for 4 quicks. The new generation pink ball should last 80 overs this time at least!

If he scored a quick 50 a few years ago he would have been opening with Warner. Dont pretend this is new.
Playing for Bankstown has its perks...
How long before the first Sydney Grade Cricket 2nd Grade gets a direct lift to the Aussie XI?
#oneforthefuture #rewardingpromise #on_a_whim #playswithintent

Yagharek

Playing for Bankstown has its perks...
How long before the first Sydney Grade Cricket 2nd Grade gets a direct lift to the Aussie XI?
#oneforthefuture #rewardingpromise #on_a_whim #playswithintent

The problem is they have been making up the Australian team for the past three years. That's what got them into this mess in the first place; picking nsw grade cricketers who could tonk a few big scores in t20.

Somebody needs to tell Triple A* that he's not playing in the Waugh/Ponting/Warne/McGrath era -- sledging without a talented side behind you just motivates your opponent and makes YOU look like a wanker.

*Angry Aussie Ant.

legend166

Great first day of cricket so far. Absolutely love day/night tests.

Hopefully our batsmen can actually put up a good first innings score and make a good contest.

Rezbit

That jinx. But seriously these guys are test cricketers, how they still be getting out like that. Changed my mind, imminent collapse and a lead of about 20 runs. Standard Australia.

After the first two balls, Handscomb looking pretty relaxed atm.

No Jinx

If Renshaw made the backpage for his 8 not out overnight, Handscomb gonna get the Order of Australia for getting into double figures.

VynsIPe.jpg

How embarrassing..

So you have probably the 2nd best player of spin in the country even if he is on debut, I know, lets bowl Elgar at him to make it even easier for him. Playing for the new ball has never been any sadder.

Bavuma's medium pace was more interesting than this at Hobart.

Still no jinx

Top Bottom